• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII |OT| Toriyama's Bizarre Adventure

Abylim

Picked this up yesterday.

I have to say, the story is a hot mess, but I'm really enjoying my time with it.
Cant really explain it, but the questing/fighting/exploring is amusing me so far.

Getting to the point where I'm about ready to skip cutscenes though >_<

Garland7G

Picked this up yesterday.

I have to say, the story is a hot mess, but I'm really enjoying my time with it.
Cant really explain it, but the questing/fighting/exploring is amusing me so far.

Getting to the point where I'm about ready to skip cutscenes though >_<

I'm having way more fun with the game than I should as well, but let me tell you, those cut scenes are a lot more long-winded then they need to be, I had to start skipping some too.;)

demonkaze

What do you suggest first on the final day? Aeronite or the ultimate lair? I'm following the guide but my SoP doesn't seem to do enough damage during the 4th stagger on Aeronite, around 100k per hit I think.

What do you suggest first on the final day? Aeronite or the ultimate lair? I'm following the guide but my SoP doesn't seem to do enough damage during the 4th stagger on Aeronite, around 100k per hit I think.

Ultimate lair, because you can attempt Aeronite anytime after the 7th day, where as ultimate lair is only the last day.
if you do aeronite and run out of time its back to the beginning for you!!

RpgN

Something came up to me suddenly, you know the accessories that you can equip just for looks? For a game that gives a lot of freedom to customize Lightning, wouldn't it have been cool if you could equip more than one item at the same time? It would have been really nice if you could equip glasses, a hat and a necklace for instance. Why didn't they do that :(

Hey, why did you remove what you wrote in reply to me? Luckily I did read it and am glad that it shouldn't disappoint if I don't have problems with the main quest. Thank you!

Watching the ending when I first beat the game had me all choked up. When
Fake Serah says Lighting deserved to be stuck in the chaos realm forever and Lightning calls out for help because she doesn't want to be alone
had me holding back tears. Personally that moment was the epic conclusion to the series. Getting lightning to
bring down all of the emotional barriers we've had to watch her endure for 5 years was so uplifting and relatable. It was FFXIII's most honest moment.
During the ending cinematic I was still riding high on those feels so the cheesiness of it all didn't phase me. I was just happy for what the series had accomplished and delighted that
everyone got a happy ending and could be put to rest on a high note.

I watch the cinematic now and it's hilarious.
THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll be reading your spoilers once I see that ending :p

squall211

Finally beat the game this morning. Really enjoyed the trilogy. I think each successive XIII game improved (at least gamelpay wise) over the last. I'll definitely revisit the trilogy again sometime down the road.

I did laugh a bit at the "twist" at the end, but it did not bother me nearly as much as some of GAF seem to have been.

Now to decide whether to tackle NG+, or start something new.

Edit: Bit off-topic, but I really hope that going forward every Final Fantasy game gets a "hard" mode.

Nohar

i need ONE soul seed, and i've been looking for ages. where are the chaos zones? FFS. lol

I would suggest you go to the Highways. Tons of chaos zones there.

Aeronite on Hard Mode is tedious... I have no problem to stagger it, but I'm unable to deplete its HP before it flies away.

I would suggest you go to the Highways. Tons of chaos zones there.

Aeronite on Hard Mode is tedious... I have no problem to stagger it, but I'm unable to deplete its HP before it flies away.

Thanks i guess i have to do those 3 roadwork missions then.

also, i did bhakti's side quest. his whole story is awesome and made me sad!!! :(

EDIT: WHAT THE HELL!!! I gave the guy 100 seeds and he didnt give me elixer!! WHY!!

Platinum achieved, the whole trilogy is Platinum.

Worst of the three games but not bad by any means. I await my FFX and FFX2 remakes and their Platinums next. Then we march towards FF15, awwww yes.

Question. In the Wildlands, will the night-time flowers spawn as soon as it turns night regardless of when I picked up one of the day-time flowers? Like say I picked up a daytime blossom flower at 17:00, then when it turned night (18:00? or is that 20:00), will a night-time flower be in the same spot? Or will I have to wait like 6 hours for them to come back?

Cheska

I think saving the Wildlands boss for last was the best decision. It took me less than a minute to beat
Caius
, by just spamming overclock.

What benefit is there to the extra day if you've completed the main quests with 4 days still left? That feels like plenty of time to complete the rest of the side quests, etc.

Teddified

I'm on day 11, played on Easy, and I pretty much had everything done that I could on a first play though so far on day 10. Killed all possible Last Ones and such. The story is interesting in the sense of how it's going to end the series but some scenes are just too awkward.

I'll end up using an INN the next time I play to speed up the time and finish this game.

Playing on Easy and Abusing Chronostatis made this game so much better for me. Since when I first started I dreaded the clock and worried about it. But once I figured out how much time I actually got with the Chronostatis I became relieved and just started to enjoy myself. I actually beat most Sidequests and Main quests like on day 6 or so. Then just beat all the Canvas quests and worked to beat the side-boss in the dunes. Which took me to day 10.

Next is to beat the Side-dungeon, then the game. Then I'll pop in to NG+ and get those upgrade Trophies. Grab 15 Accessories, then restart and grab the 15 accessories again.

Zafir

I think saving the Wildlands boss for last was the best decision. It took me less than a minute to beat
Caius

What benefit is there to the extra day if you've completed the main quests with 4 days still left? That feels like plenty of time to complete the rest of the side quests, etc.
You can only do the Ultimate Lair by getting the extra day.

Eitherway, finally came back to this to finish it off. Was just about to start going to grind the last of the soul seeds for the Elixir, and then I came across an Outerworld NPC selling one. Saved so I could just reload, ran to the shop to sell enough items so I had enough money, and bought it. Such luck!

squall211

Caius

Afaik the extra day is really just for the bonus dungeon, and since time doesn't stop in the dungeon, you can easily use the whole day in there.

Koozek

Caius

Yep, I did the same. 5-Stared him easily then. Couldn't beat him before.

The extra day is basically for the Ultimate Lair bonus dungeon that consists of 33 floors with each enemy in its Last One form and lastly the optional boss Ereshkigal, that is crazy hard if you don't use the Poison strategy (here, look for "# Day 13").
You can't use Chronostasis in there and time flows even in battles. I think Areonite disappears on the night of the extra day, at least this was the case for me when I wanted to try him after beating Ereshkigal, but I'm not sure. Maybe someone knows.

Alright, I defeated Aeronite last night and got the platinum! That's the whole trilogy platted. Going to keep playing for a while but I'm about ready to move on to something else. Two weeks until Dark Souls 2... Maybe I'll try and plat Ni No Kuni. Wish it's combat was anywhere near as good as these games.

So I just got the Soldier of Peace garb which I was looking forward to since it gets so much praise. But is it really that great? Shadowbind seems completely useless considering how much ATB it uses and it's incredibly annoying that it starts off with 0 ATB during battles, lol. I know the big thing is it changes Heavy Slash into Artemis' Arrows, but it doesn't seem to do THAT much damage. Heavy Slash lvl3/Slayer from Cloud does just about the same. Maybe it's just I'm not powerful enough to see the benefits of the garb yet (since I only have Heavy Slash lvl1 to equip on the garb). I would like it more if it wasn't 0% Default ATB and Shadowbind wasn't there. Also, it's fuckin' ugly. :p

When do enemies start dropping lvl2 and 3 abilities?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
So I just got the Soldier of Peace garb which I was looking forward to since it gets so much praise. But is it really that great? Shadowbind seems completely useless considering how much ATB it uses and it's incredibly annoying that it starts off with 0 ATB during battles, lol. I know the big thing is it changes Heavy Slash into Artemis' Arrows, but it doesn't seem to do THAT much damage. Heavy Slash lvl3/Slayer from Cloud does just about the same. Maybe it's just I'm not powerful enough to see the benefits of the garb yet (since I only have Heavy Slash lvl1 to equip on the garb). I would like it more if it wasn't 0% Default ATB and Shadowbind wasn't there. Also, it's fuckin' ugly. :p

Lv 2 drops starting on day 7 and lv 3 on day 10.

Balphon

I didn't see what was so great about it either, particularly given all the weaknesses it has that you have to compensate for. I used it for a fight or two before shelving it permanently, and I really only used Heavy Slash for Brave Thief anyway.

You'll get some as the monsters become stronger post-Day 7, but the quickest way to get them would probably be through synthesis.

Lv 2 drops starting on day 7 and lv 3 on day 10.

You'll get some as the monsters become stronger post-Day 7, but the quickest way to get them would probably be through synthesis.

Nice, thanks! Hm, I don't have many of those items you need to upgrade levels for abilities, so I haven't been able to do much with it yet. :/ I had like 2 Bronze pieces, but used one for the tutorial thing.

I didn't see what was so great about it either, particularly given all the weaknesses it has that you have to compensate for. I used it for a fight or two before shelving it permanently, and I really only used Heavy Slash for Brave Thief anyway.

I'm gonna keep using it for a bit to see if it grows on me, but it didn't make a very good first impression. xD

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This game finally arrived on my doorstep (the burdens of shipping a CE from the vile Square Enix Store to Northern Alberta where I am staying temporarily). So I'm LTTP.

Before I played it, I described the overall story scenario to a friend as being "powerfully dumb". I regret those words. Now that I see it executed, I think the story is actually pretty cool and well-told! I like this very changed XIII world in its last moments, with emotionally-detached angelic heroes on a bizarre and arcane mission. It's very alienating to those of us who have played previous games... but I think intentionally so. Then again, XIII's story appeared pretty competent in its opening hours, so I'll have to reserve final judgement for the story after I get further.

The graphics are ugly in one sense. I don't think I've seen a game this jaggy on the entire generation of hardware. But there is a large sense of scale for the environments to make up for it. The art design itself though, is very original! I thought Luxerion looked generic from afar, but now that I play through it, I've never seen a game world quite like this. I love the little touches, like "baroque" telephone booths and vending machines. The sense of atmosphere is strong.

And you can just wander. You're on a time limit which keeps you moving, but I at least you're really exploring. This is the anti-XIII. The multiple towns are big enough for me... I think I buy them as competent RPG cities more than in XIII or XIII-2.

I'm getting XII vibes from this... in many ways it doesn't deliver what I "expect" from an FF. But now that I've shown up, it's giving me a really fun open adventure experience, with a very strong atmosphere and unusual music with unique character. I'll be reserving final judgement for much later, as we all know these games can fall off a cliff and ruin your buzz, but I'd call my initial impressions "very positive".

I was the same way; Cloud has that extra free skill slot that I love.

Yeah, if Soldier of Peace didn't have Shadowbind, I'd like the garb a bit more. I feel so restricted on what abilities I can have when I use it. Cloud's Heavy Strike is actually useful because of the damage/Slayer aspect to it. But like I said, gonna give Soldier of Peace a bit more time.

I've yet to find a good replacement for Yuna's garb, though. Imperil + Elementa (max) is such great damage even now. There's been a few other decent magic garbs (like the one you used for Snow's main story quest), but still using Yuna currently.

Zafir

I'd argue, Soldier of Peace is better in longer fights. Short random battles on the first 7 odd days, it's not that useful due to it starting at 0 ATB. However, on long fights, where it starting at 0 ATB isn't as much of an issue, it's really great when used on staggered enemies. I've got a shield which increases ATB recovery too, which helps it a bit.

Zafir

I used that to save 18 hours on the main quest in Luxerion. It wasn't until later that I realised time isn't even remotely an issue in this game
Heh, did you let it warp you out in the slums part so you can get the number straight away?

i platinumed it, got all the accessories in the 4 lands, then use the clock thing to go back to the 1st day, got them again, and boom. done. 45hours.

Shahed

Heh, did you let it warp you out in the slums part so you can get the number straight away?
Yeah. I had a save just before 6am which I reloaded once I realised I'd have to wait an hour. 1 Chronostasis and I legged it to the Warren just in time

I used that to save 18 hours on the main quest in Luxerion. It wasn't until later that I realised time isn't even remotely an issue in this game

That's what I did as well, lol. It didn't end up really mattering much though because you have to wait until midnight to continue the main story anyways. But I guess it lets you into the graveyard a little bit sooner.

---

quick question if someone can answer:

Are the items for the canvas of prayers quest like Moogle Dust, Broken Gyroscope, Old Fashioned Photo Frame, etc JUST used for those quests? Or are they used for other real sidequests? I don't want to complete the canvas quests until I know it is used for nothing else. Thanks ;)

Zafir

i only did luxerion and yusnaan. which can be done really fast. i got the out-in-the-wild accessories from dead dunes and wildlands.
Hmm, fair enough. Did you really have enough to get it? I thought you needed to do 30.

In other news, fuck Aeronite. Can barely do anything thanks to his barrage of attacks, and he doesn't seem to stagger quickly either. :x

nOoblet16

I finished Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 5 and
Got to the boss
in Chapter 4-3 (or was it 4-4?). Having a tough time beating
Caius
in Chapter 3 end. I die because the boss' attacks are so damaging and I have two magic and 1 physical build, staggering takes ages because the said boss spends most of the time in commando mode, and the fact that they can regenerate health up to some point makes it even worse.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Are the items for the canvas of prayers quest like Moogle Dust, Broken Gyroscope, Old Fashioned Photo Frame, etc JUST used for those quests? Or are they used for other real sidequests? I don't want to complete the canvas quests until I know it is used for nothing else. Thanks ;)
Just for those quests.

demonkaze

Is there any tips for easily beating the final boss on Normal, for some reason i'm really struggling, especially at the end.

For reference, i've beaten the Ultimate Lair and done all available side quests on my first playthrough, I don't however have any ethers.

Hmm, fair enough. Did you really have enough to get it? I thought you needed to do 30.

In other news, fuck Aeronite. Can barely do anything thanks to his barrage of attacks, and he doesn't seem to stagger quickly either. :x

1.got them all during 1st playthrough (well, all that i could see) finished the game

2. on NG+, did luxerion and yusnaan to completion, explored wildlands and dead dunes to get the treasure just hanging around. cant remember how many.

3. used the time reverse thing in the ark (only available from day 2 on NG+)

4. got the exact same chests in step 2. they upgrade again.

Zafir

1.got them all during 1st playthrough (well, all that i could see) finished the game

2. on NG+, did luxerion and yusnaan to completion, explored wildlands and dead dunes to get the treasure just hanging around. cant remember how many.

3. used the time reverse thing in the ark (only available from day 2 on NG+)

4. got the exact same chests in step 2. they upgrade again.
Ah right, I see what you mean. You get to keep accessory's when you use the time reverse thing then? That's handy. Probably an easier way than I was thinking.

Anyway beat Aeronite, he has faaaar too much health on normal, lol. Ended up with 0 stars. xD In hindsight, I probably should have done it on NG+.

Just picked up the game. Looking forward to see how this mess ends....I'm actually a fan of Lightning.

Any tips (non spoilers) for beginners?

Top Bottom