• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII |OT| Toriyama's Bizarre Adventure

Yeah, I still need to keep killing Niblets for that sidequest. I've killed quite a bit of them in Luxerion, but they are still classified as "Common". I've never liked fighting those turtle enemies in any of the XIII games - they are just annoying in general, lol. It's good they provide some nice EP, though.

Ouch, I think I know what weapon you are talking about -
Caius' weapon? I saw people using that in videos and it's supposedly really awesome.
That must have sucked. D:

I think they go from common to rare once you get to the last 5 or so and for Niblets you have to kill a total of 120. It's time consuming but the Death Safari side quest in Yusnaan will take a nice chunk out of them. Also a good way to check how many you've killed is to check your inventory for the item it drops and see how many you have, then combine that with the ones you turned in for quests and you should be able to ballpark how many you've killed.

And yeah, that's the one. I was a bit disgruntled when I finally realized what I did but in the end I was able to do the optional bosses without it so it all worked out. I just imagine they're a bit easier if you have it.

Moofers

Is there another way to take screenshots? I'm sick of this horrible quality.

3aj7PQS.jpg
I love this outfit. Is there someplace where I can see every outfit from the game? I'm tempted to get this, but I feel like it may get a ps4 version like Tomb Raider so I'm holding out for now. Love the outfits though.

I love this outfit. Is there someplace where I can see every outfit from the game? I'm tempted to get this, but I feel like it may get a ps4 version like Tomb Raider so I'm holding out for now. Love the outfits though.

The Final Fantasy wikia has a nice collection of images. It's missing a few of the hard mode exclusive ones but it's probably the best collection I've seen. They also have a nice collection of images of the victory poses for each garb.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Lightning_Returns:_Final_Fantasy_XIII_Garbs

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Lightning_Returns:_Final_Fantasy_XIII_Victory_Pose_Images

I just got a pretty dang good sword from those behemoth/reavers in the Wildlands. I staggered it via blocking his attack and then I got a weapon afterwards. 500str/500mag/Regen at beginning of battle. I take the weapon I get from the Omega version is just similar to that but better?

Szadek

I just got a pretty dang good sword from those behemoth/reavers in the Wildlands. I staggered it via blocking his attack and then I got a weapon afterwards. 500str/500mag/Regen at beginning of battle. I take the weapon I get from the Omega version is just similar to that but better?
Yup,900/900.

I started playing on hard mode,because I can't get enough of this game.
I'm trying to finish every quest and kill every last one.
Right now I'm killing Earth Eater in the desert.I can kill 2 of them before I need more healing items.
Killed quite a few of them and I'm still at 7 am of day 2.Fang is a big help.

Nohar

Yup,900/900.

I started playing on hard mode,because I can't get enough of this game.
I'm trying to finish every quest and kill every last one.
Right now I'm killing Earth Eater in the desert.I can kill 2 of them before I need more healing items.
Killed quite a few of them and I'm still at 7 am of day 2.Fang is a big help.

Better kill those as soon as possible... They get ridiculously powerful during the last days. Even with near perfect weapons and abilities, I fear the last part of the game because of how overpowered enemies will become.

I also discovered recently the hidden abilities... ATB speed +20? OH YEAH!

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I'm still trying to wrap my head around Auto-abilities. If you get a skill with and ability attached (yellow), can it ever change?

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Finally I did beat the last boss with my newgameplus+ at normal and Ultima Shield & Sword lending an hand. It was challenging but fun!

Now about the ending...

can't decide yet if it's the most stupid thing evah or a genius thing lol ~

I expected different, that's for sure. Though I love how Toriyama never goes predictable. Token to him.

It has been a funny journey, I feel nostalgic already, but after so many years I guess is time to move on,
like all these characters
witnessing what's next for Final Fantasy.

Thank you Square Enix for another fantastic journey through your games ^^

Nohar

@HawthorneKitty: Let me explain with an example. We will take 2 Fire N4 and call them Fire A and Fire B.
Fire A has +130 Magic as its Auto-Ability.
Fire B has +12% Fire Damage as its Auto-Ability:
  • Fire A + Fire B = Fire A Auto-Ability will be conserved, Fire B Auto-Ability will be lost. Thus you will gain an improved Fire A with +130 Magic.
  • Fire B + Fire A = Fire B Auto-Ability will be conserved, Fire A Auto-Ability will be lost. Thus you will gain an improved Fire B with +12% Fire Damage.
The Auto-Ability which is conserved is the one of the first skill you choose. The second skill will be absorbed by the first.
Please note that, no matter the order in which you do the fusion, the resulting skill will always have a better Damage percentage and will keep the lowest ATB consomption per use.
After a fusion, it seems that the Damage percentage upgrade can be higher than normal. For example, if usually you would get +0.10% after the fusion, there is a small chance that instead you will get +0.20% (the expected increase is doubled).
If you fuse together two skills that don't have Auto-Abilities, there is a small chance that a new Auto-Ability will be created after the fusion (the power of said Auto-Ability is proportional to the level of the skill).
If you fuse together two skills at the best level (★), there is a small chance that the ATB consomption per use will decrease.

Now, there is an hidden mecanism when you fuse 2 skills with the same Auto-Ability.
Let's take 2 Attack N4, with both of them having +5 ATB Speed as their Auto-Ability: if you fuse those two together, you have (small) chance of unlocking an hidden/rare Auto-Ability. You will lose +5 ATB speed, but you will gain instead "Energy Point per kill" (not sure of the translation, sorry), which increases slightly your EPs when you kill monsters.

The dual spells (Ice+Wind, Fire+Wind, Fire+Thunder, Ice+Thunder) seem to all have +20 ATB speed as their hidden Auto-Ability. Same thing for Deshell, Deprotect and Imperil.

Nohar

Apperently the 2-5 boss has a ++ from,how do you get that?
Do you have to fight till day 12 or something?

This boss has 3 different forms: Regular (Day 1-6), + (Day 7-9) and ++ (Day 10-13).
Same thing for Luxerion and Desert boss: if you wait to fight them until Day 7, you will unlock their + version.

HawthorneKitty

Fusing 2 non-abilities and the "hidden" mechanic from fusing 2 of the same abilities don't share the same available abilities upon fusing?

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Fusing 2 non-abilities and the "hidden" mechanic from fusing 2 of the same abilities don't share the same available abilities upon fusing?

If you have an Attack ability with a strength +120 auto-ability attached, and fuse an Attack with ATB+15 attached to it, you lose the ATB+15. You'll lose the Strength+120 if you do it the other way around.

Nohar

Hmmm? Sorry, I'm not quite sure I understand.

When you fuse two skills without abilities, there is a chance that the resulting skill with gain an Auto-Ability. Said Auto-Ability's power is proportional to the level of the skill (for instance, for a level 2 skill, you have a chance to win +30 Magic, but with a level 4 skill it would be +130 instead).

However, you can't unlock hidden auto-abilities that way. In order to unlock hidden auto-abilities, you have to fuse together to skills with the exact same auto-abilities on them (for example, fuse two Fire with +130 Magic as their auto-abilities - as far as I know, it won't work if you fuse Fire (+130 Magic) with Fire (+110 Magic) ). You will see in the fusion menu that the auto-abilities are highlightened in blue, revealing the small chance of the hidden auto-ability to be unlocked. Though, I have to admit I'm not sure that works with low-level skills. All hidden abilities I've unlocked so far were with level 3 or 4 skills.

HawthorneKitty

Hmmm? Sorry, I'm not quite sure I understand.

When you fuse two skills without abilities, there is a chance that the resulting skill with gain an Auto-Ability. Said Auto-Ability's power is proportional to the level of the skill (for instance, for a level 2 skill, you have a chance to win +30 Magic, but with a level 4 skill it would be +130 instead).

However, you can't unlock hidden auto-abilities that way. In order to unlock hidden auto-abilities, you have to fuse together to skills with the exact same auto-abilities on them (for example, fuse two Fire with +130 Magic as their auto-abilities - as far as I know, it won't work if you fuse Fire (+130 Magic) with Fire (+110 Magic) ). You will see in the fusion menu that the auto-abilities are highlightened in blue, revealing the small chance of the hidden auto-ability to be unlocked.
Ahhhh this was what I was looking for before I tried spamming the synth with white abilities. Thank you.

demonkaze

I'm on Day 14 and on my first Normal playthrough, done all sidequests (other than the last ones and Aeronite) and have the weapons from the Last ones so the only things left for me to do is Aeronite and the Ultimate Lair.

Any tips for the two bosses, I tried Aeronite before switching the game off and it killed me pretty easily.

Balphon

It's probably worth noting that some of the "hidden" auto-abilities may be things you don't want (i.e. Element Chaser), so you may want to keep that in mind if you're powergaming with the ability fusion.

Just finished Day 4 and concluded
Snow's main quests.
I actually kind of liked his main quests - was fun. I think it was a lot better than the main quest in Luxerion which is a shame because I prefer
Noel as a character
. That said, I have a feeling this whole
friendship and magical mcguffin stuff is going to play a role in other stories. Like Serah's pendant and Lightning's words helping Snow un-Cei'th. I don't really mind the whole "my friends are my power!" thing (being a Kingdom Hearts fan and all), but just sayin'.
:p

And I'll say again - Yusnaan >>>>>>>>>>>>> Luxerion. That place looked pretty awesome - especially at night (but it looks great in the day time as well actually). I feel like the game should have started off in that city. The main quest was better, too.

I also did a bit in Wildlands - finished 3-1 and 3-2, so I got my chocobo and all that. Just gotta feed it stuff so it can fly. What all can I feed it so that it will be able to glide exactly? I've had it eat two of those Yeul's Flowers, and I have a chocobull I got from a quest (not sure if those are used for quest or just powering up my chocobo).

HawthorneKitty

There's 2 more Yuel's Flowers, but one is only accessible after gliding. Otherwise, you can feed it the myriad of food items the NPCs concoct or feed it greens you grow. You can also wait 24 hours after you picked a Yuel's Flower to eat it again.

i went back to the optional boss and kicked his ass, POISON is your awesome friend.
now, only a few trophies left.. and best of all, i dont need to give a shit about the dumb sidequests... YAAAAAAAAAY

There's 2 more Yuel's Flowers, but one is only accessible after gliding. Otherwise, you can feed it the myriad of food items the NPCs concoct or feed it greens you grow. You can also wait 24 hours after you picked a Yuel's Flower to eat it again.

Oh okay, so the flowers do respawn. That's cool. I also planted some greens that should be ready by the next day. I think tomorrow I'm gonna explore the dunes before going back to the Wildlands. Do Yeul's flowers help my chocobo get stronger even after I get the ability to glide?

----------

I feel so weird about this game. Before the game released, I was like 99% sure I would hate it. I dislike time limits quite a bit, don't really care about Lightning (I neither hate her nor like her really), had no hope for the story or character arcs, etc. But somehow, I'm actually having a fun time with the game. It's not perfect by any means, but the flaws it has never really seems to hinder my enjoyment while playing. And I always look forward to playing again after I want to take a break.

HawthorneKitty

Oh okay, so the flowers do respawn. That's cool. I also planted some greens that should be ready by the next day. I think tomorrow I'm gonna explore the dunes before going back to the Wildlands. Do Yeul's flowers help my chocobo get stronger even after I get the ability to glide?
Yeah, there's one more recovery level over gliding which only increases it's battle prowess and unlocks a quest.

Szadek

I figured you don't have to collect the numbers,you can just force your way through,too,
but it's pretty hard,at least at the first playthrough.

Is the Dead Dunes dungeon for the main story quest as annoying as I think it will be? I just saw a map of it and apparently
doors open and close based on the hour of the day? ugh, that shit is annoying enough in the cities, but this sounds even worse.

Is the Dead Dunes dungeon for the main story quest as annoying as I think it will be? I just saw a map of it and apparently
doors open and close based on the hour of the day? ugh, that shit is annoying enough in the cities, but this sounds even worse.

I guess it can be annoying, but maybe I lucked out and didn't really run into much trouble with it.

I guess it can be annoying, but maybe I lucked out and didn't really run into much trouble with it.

Maybe it won't be so bad, but I get really annoyed with the time-based doors in the cities, so a dungeon built around that just sounds like hell. But at least the doors open and close a lot quicker than the ones in the city. How long will it take to get all the chests in the dungeon + beat the boss if you remember? Just wanting to know how much time I should give myself in a day.

Really there's only a handful of those doors you truly need to go through for main quest progression. Most of them just hold optional treasure or an alternate route.

The doors also open and close every hour which makes things a little easier which means in the worst case scenario you only have to stand and wait an hour for the door to open back up.

Really there's only a handful of those doors you truly need to go through for main quest progression. Most of them just hold optional treasure or an alternate route.

The doors also open and close every hour which makes things a little easier which means in the worst case scenario you only have to stand and wait an hour for the door to open back up.

Oh okay, that doesn't sound too bad, I guess. The map I saw looked pretty dang confusing, but maybe it won't be so bad once I get in there.

HawthorneKitty

Oh okay, that doesn't sound too bad, I guess. The map I saw looked pretty dang confusing, but maybe it won't be so bad once I get in there.
Navigation is still fucking confusing if you're trying to get to a specific room, as map level swapping doesn't align perfectly. Chrono is your best friend down there.

RpgN

There were some members who got very annoyed about the locked doors in the Dead Dunes, but it wasn't that bad in my experience. It's not hard to deal with if you have full EP. What you do is don't use up your EP until the clock is halfway (like 13:30). 30 minutes pass very quickly in the game. That way you can stop time as long as you need, build up enough EP for your next use, then stop using it when there's a door you want to go through. Now if you check your map often, you can plan things ahead so you hardly wait. When you want the 30 minutes to pass, you use that time to fight enemies and build more EP. The locked doors always open every hour (13:00, 15:00, etc). Just don't forget to read the announcements on those stones to have those doors marked on your map.

Now the locked gates in Luxerion are annoying, especially early on.

frequency

I finally finished the last boss.

Total hours played: 068:04:26

I kept hearing and reading people mocking the ending of this game after the Japanese release here on NeoGAF. Well (as usual I guess) I totally disagree. I loved it. It was a wonderful end to a wonderful trilogy. I don't care what anyone else says or thinks about it, I absolutely loved the experience over the three games and this trilogy will be what defines the generation for me.

RpgN

I finally finished the last boss.

Total hours played: 068:04:26

I kept hearing and reading people mocking the ending of this game after the Japanese release here on NeoGAF. Well (as usual I guess) I totally disagree. I loved it. It was a wonderful end to a wonderful trilogy. I don't care what anyone else says or thinks about it, I absolutely loved the experience over the three games and this trilogy will be what defines the generation for me.

That's encouraging to hear. The way people talked about the ending has gotten me all worried. I wasn't exactly content with the ending of FFXIII. FFXIII-2 had a better ending but it was more shocking and not what I had in mind at the beginning. Hopefully Lightning Returns will have a proper ending. At least the main side quests were very satisfying imo.

Also, I'm on the 7th day now, played 44 hours, done 57 side quests and 56 Canvas of the Prayers.

That's encouraging to hear. The way people talked about the ending has gotten me all worried. I wasn't exactly content with the ending of FFXIII. FFXIII-2 had a better ending but it was more shocking and not what I had in mind at the beginning. Hopefully Lightning Returns will have a proper ending. At least the main side quests were very satisfying imo.

Personally, it was the execution of the ending that got me more than anything else. Granted, I wouldn't have found the ending good for various other reasons, but it would have been more along the lines of "I didn't expect much anyway" than "What the hell were they thinking". I liked XIII's story well enough, though after XIII-2, it was clear I wasn't the target audience (there is merit to XIII-2's story with the metaphors, symbolism, etc. but it's just executed so poorly that it's hard to look past). But if you have had no problem with the story execution thus far, you shouldn't have a problem with LR's ending.

Tohsaka

Platinum trophy get. I enjoyed the game a lot overall, and while the story wasn't great, I think the ending was a satisfactory conclusion to the trilogy. The game wasn't perfect or anything, but I think the average scores are a bit on the low side. I liked the gameplay and non-linearity, I just wish there were more story missions, and that they were better in general.

As far as the upgrading accessories trophies go, you don't actually have to do two full playthroughs. You can just get the first fifteen head accessories again in a new game plus, then start another new game plus from the Ark and get them all again. It's pretty quick and easy.

timshundo

Also, I'm on the 7th day now, played 44 hours, done 57 side quests and 56 Canvas of the Prayers.

Watching the ending when I first beat the game had me all choked up. When
Fake Serah says Lighting deserved to be stuck in the chaos realm forever and Lightning calls out for help because she doesn't want to be alone
had me holding back tears. Personally that moment was the epic conclusion to the series. Getting lightning to
bring down all of the emotional barriers we've had to watch her endure for 5 years was so uplifting and relatable. It was FFXIII's most honest moment.
During the ending cinematic I was still riding high on those feels so the cheesiness of it all didn't phase me. I was just happy for what the series had accomplished and delighted that
everyone got a happy ending and could be put to rest on a high note.

I watch the cinematic now and it's hilarious.
THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!

MogCakes

Okay, someone please tell me
that bhunivelze isn't actually the good guy. I'm sick of seeing everyone in the game worship him aside from Etro's remaining followers, it feels very off.

Adaren

Day 8: Aeronite GET!

At first I didn't think I had the damage to get through his last phase without him flying away, even with Soldier of Peace (I was trying to use SOLDIER 1st Class for a long time because it didn't look as stupid, but I eventually decided that I couldn't afford to hold back for the sake of fashion). Eventually used four Overclocks, three Nektars, and an Enaero Potion to beat the timer. First time using Overclock since the demo.

I wish that any excess time you had on previous phases carried over into later phases (i.e. start with X minutes of time, gain X minutes whenever you Stagger him). It would make it so that playing well on the earlier phases would let you get through the last phase with lower stats. Still, it was a fun fight, and my final attempt had me pulling off some pretty satisfying moves to survive Hellflare; I spent a good portion of the fight precariously at 300 HP!

Top Bottom