• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII |OT| Toriyama's Bizarre Adventure

That was actually the original ending. Instead, because
"It stated with Lightning (No it didn't. NO IT DIDN'T. I don't care how you look at it, NO IT DIDN'T!), it had to end with Lightning." So instead of everyone getting one final send off and getting to see how they all ended up happy together, we got Lightning on a train.

I would of liked that too,
or Sazh being with her like the beginning.

But the epilogue implies a new personal journey for her to find her friends or Hope/Serah.

Before being reborn, everyone got split.

That was actually the original ending. Instead, because
"It stated with Lightning (No it didn't. NO IT DIDN'T. I don't care how you look at it, NO IT DIDN'T!), it had to end with Lightning." So instead of everyone getting one final send off and getting to see how they all ended up happy together, we got Lightning on a train.

That was their reason for how they did the Epilogue? Bah.

I would of liked that too,
or Sazh being with her like the beginning.

But the epilogue implies a new personal journey for her to find her friends or Hope/Serah.

Before being reborn, everyone got split.

Oh, I actually wouldn't have minded that. If
it was both Lightning and Sazh on the train. It would have at least mirrored XIII's intro. Maybe as soon as they walk off the train, everyone would be standing there waiting for them. I still would have preferred the new world not be Earth/pseudo-Earth, though. A remade Gran Pulse would have been better and more fitting, imo.

That was their reason for how they did the Epilogue? Bah.

Oh, I actually wouldn't have minded that. If
it was both Lightning and Sazh on the train. It would have at least mirrored XIII's intro. Maybe as soon as they walk off the train, everyone would be standing there waiting for them. I still would have preferred the new world not be Earth/pseudo-Earth, though. A remade Gran Pulse would have been better and more fitting, imo.

Not for me.The more I think about the more it makes sense.
In order to be free of everything the legends(fantasy) must end.

Prototype

Just picked this up a few days ago. So far pretty fun. Better then I was expecting considering I hated 13 and never played 13-2. I liked the focus on more real time battles and no other annoying cast members in the party.

The game seems to swing wildly in difficulty though. Things are either incredibly easy or brutally difficult. Only on day 4 so I'm wondering if it will even out at some point.

burgerdog

Hey guys, just ordered this from amazon and it should be here Tuesday. Any tips on what I should do during my first run to make the platinum easier to get?

Hey guys, just ordered this from amazon and it should be here Tuesday. Any tips on what I should do during my first run to make the platinum easier to get?

If you aren't opposed to using a guide on the first playthrough, I recommend this one if not just for the maps they have for each sidequest/task during the main walkthrough. It will help you plan your days better and do quests much faster (since they can be very vague sometimes on what you need to do).

Mainly just have one tip for getting the platinum - do not complete the quest in Yusnaan called "Death Game" until you get the trophy for collecting 100 soul seeds and turning them into the NPC for the Elixir. It's the easiest way to farm soul seeds (and is good money, too). You won't be able to get your platinum until the second playthrough, but it doesn't require doing that much work (you don't have to actually replay the entire game, or even much of it at all). If you follow that guide, it tells you how to best get the platinum after beating the game.

Not for me.The more I think about the more it makes sense.
In order to be free of everything the legends(fantasy) must end.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that then. ;)

Just picked this up a few days ago. So far pretty fun. Better then I was expecting considering I hated 13 and never played 13-2. I liked the focus on more real time battles and no other annoying cast members in the party.

The game seems to swing wildly in difficulty though. Things are either incredibly easy or brutally difficult. Only on day 4 so I'm wondering if it will even out at some point.

I don't think it ever really evens out because of how they made the game so non-linear. You can do any main story quest in any order, and some of them are harder than others. I recommend waiting to do the Main Quest 3-3 (Wildlands) until after you do the other 4. It makes it easier that way. People tend to have problems with the boss in 3-3, and I think it might be due to them going to it too early. Not sure.

burgerdog

If you aren't opposed to using a guide on the first playthrough, I recommend this one if not just for the maps they have for each sidequest/task during the main walkthrough. It will help you plan your days better and do quests much faster (since they can be very vague sometimes on what you need to do).

Mainly just have one tip for getting the platinum - do not complete the quest in Yusnaan called "Death Game" until you get the trophy for collecting 100 soul seeds and turning them into the NPC for the Elixir. It's the easiest way to farm soul seeds (and is good money, too). You won't be able to get your platinum until the second playthrough, but it doesn't require doing that much work (you don't have to actually replay the entire game, or even much of it at all). If you follow that guide, it tells you how to best get the platinum after beating the game.

That's exactly the kind of tip I needed before starting the game, thank you.

I really don't like using guides on a first playthrough when it comes to things like main quests or strategies for beating bosses. However, I have zero problems using guides for side quests / maps so that link will come in handy. Can't wait to get started!

That's exactly the kind of tip I needed before starting the game, thank you.

I really don't like using guides on a first playthrough when it comes to things like main quests or strategies for beating bosses. However, I have zero problems using guides for side quests / maps so that link will come in handy. Can't wait to get started!

No problem - if I think of anything else regarding the platinum, I'll let ya know.

That's pretty much what I did. I did most of the main quests without using the guide, but I *did* use the guide when doing sidequests. The main quests actually have waypoint markers telling you where you should be going most of the time anyways, so the maps aren't THAT useful for those, anyways. Since sidequests are a bit more vague, it's helpful. There is one main story quest very early on that I think using a map is very helpful with though and that's finding numbers around Luxerion. Some people have problems finding them and losing a lot of time, but the NPCs are fairly helpful when finding their positions. If you get stuck, consult the guide, though.

Prototype

I

I don't think it ever really evens out because of how they made the game so non-linear. You can do any main story quest in any order, and some of them are harder than others. I recommend waiting to do the Main Quest 3-3 (Wildlands) until after you do the other 4. It makes it easier that way. People tend to have problems with the boss in 3-3, and I think it might be due to them going to it too early. Not sure.

I'll keep it in mind. Thanks for the heads up.

And ya, it's strange to play a FF game that lets me essentially go anywhere right from the start. It's been awhile since I've done that in a FF game, feels almost strange... lol, in a good way.

You know, I think my favorite part in all of LR is
in the Moogle Village when Lightning finds Mog. It's kinda touching how sad Mog was about Serah, but that's not what makes that scene great. When Lightning flicks Mog away and he goes bouncing off, pretty amusing. But even that isn't what makes me love the scene so much. It's when Mog runs back at Lightning and calls her a "mean old witch!" xD

You know, I think my favorite part in all of LR is
in the Moogle Village when Lightning finds Mog. It's kinda touching how sad Mog was about Serah, but that's not what makes that scene great. When Lightning flicks Mog away and he goes bouncing off, pretty amusing. But even that isn't what makes me love the scene so much. It's when Mog runs back at Lightning and calls her a "mean old witch!" xD

What about that sidequest of Light
tossing Moogles back to their destination and then in the Lightning message she says she would like to play some Moogle catch with Serah
?haha

We don't talk enough about how funny FF can be.

Unrelated,but we learn that Light loves
steak.

SirCrush

If you grind too much, only the bosses are tough. Personal experience. Though the last dungeon does a good jump of forcing you to revamp your strats too.

I personally enjoyed how difficult the game gets at times. And don't get me started on how fun the two optional bosses are. If you don't read a strategy guide, they take quite a bit of time to figure out on a first playthrough. Good times :)

What about that sidequest of Light
tossing Moogles back to their destination and then in the Lightning message she says she would like to play some Moogle catch with Serah
?haha

We don't talk enough about how funny FF can be.

Unrelated,but we learn that Light loves
steak.

Yeah, that was another funny moment. Honestly, I love any scene that involves
Moogles in both XIII-2 and LR, lol. Yeah, I know some people get annoyed at the constant "kupo", but it doesn't bother me. xD

The FF series in general has a lot of lighthearted and funny moments - it's part of what makes me love the series.

One of the odd things of this game is this device
that Light uses once.
BiP-cQGCIAAPIUM.jpg

I made the color of the Champagne dress more like its namesake.
BiQAUI3CMAEV4zH.jpg

BiP9gy3CAAAfhzL.jpg

BiP8ODICQAAf2Hf.jpg

BiP29usCYAELO2j.jpg

whatever
BiP4VpuCcAAVRSD.jpg

Prototype

If you grind too much, only the bosses are tough. Personal experience. Though the last dungeon does a good jump of forcing you to revamp your strats too.

I personally enjoyed how difficult the game gets at times. And don't get me started on how fun the two optional bosses are. If you don't read a strategy guide, they take quite a bit of time to figure out on a first playthrough. Good times :)

Oh ya, I'm fine with difficult games. It just takes some getting used to when it springs up on me. But I've made a vow to use the Knight of Etro set the whole game. Like I said, I never played 13-2 but I remember the promotional material for that game and I thought that Lightning looked really badass in that armor. I really like it. edit: so it's pretty cool that I get to use it in this game. Just took a save file for 13-2 off gamefaqs and that was that.

Does anyone know what the song is called when (ENDING SPOILERS):
... Lumina is re-absorbed into Lightning and Hope comes to get her? It was a simple song, but still beautiful.

Toth

Whew, finally back!

Took me 40 hours but I finished without too much difficulty. Overall, a much better experience than XIII-2. The story and combat were tighter than XIII-2's. Nova Chrysalia is one of the best SE worlds in a very long time. A true, dystopic limbo oozing an atmosphere of dread and powerlessness, but with some hints of hope. Graphically issues aside, it was a very fun world to explore and experience.

Huge satisfaction, as a FFXIII lore fanatic with
Bhunivelze getting his deserved comeuppance.
. I have a great followup on the God of Light but I will post that later. I found when you look at him in a different light (pun intended), he becomes an even better character.

Beat the Wildlands boss today!
I actually didn't have a tough time with him at all! I guess I had really good gear from all the sidequests I've been doing. He was fun though, lots of attacks to block.
Now I'm on the third main quest in Dead Dunes. I really like my huge pink sword.

At first I was pretty ambivalent toward this game but as I gathered more garbs/skills/equipment I've been enjoying it a lot. If I didn't have work tomorrow I'd definitely be playing through the night.

I've finished all four main quests only on day 6. I'm only at 21 hours on the game clock. How much do I have left? I've been doing a fair amount of side stuff. I'm seeing people saying 50 and 60 hours so I must have a lot left...right?

Szadek

I've finished all four main quests only on day 6. I'm only at 21 hours on the game clock. How much do I have left? I've been doing a fair amount of side stuff. I'm seeing people saying 50 and 60 hours so I must have a lot left...right?
It took me 80 hours to finish the game twice and the second time was on hard mode where I killed every last one and superboss.

Depends what all you want to do. I ended up grinding on enemies a lot after finishing all the main story quests and every single sidequest/canvas of prayers quest (I think there's 64 sidequests and over 70 canvas of prayers quests) to spawn some Last Ones. And I beat Aeronite, did the
optional dungeon and beat that boss
... Ended up clocking in over 55 hours by the time I got the platinum. So yeah, depends what all you want to do, how much exploration you did, etc. You could technically sleep in the Inn now until the final day if you didn't care about the rest, but prepare for a harder experience since you'll be missing stats from quests as well as some items/accessories/weapons/garbs.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

You're playing it with much more time then I did.

I had wrapped up the main quests by day 3 max and used the remaining to wrap up the side quests.

MrBS

I'm still getting through this slowly. All main quests done and now wrapping up side quests and killing monsters. Nice to see everyone has got the right idea on outerworld and most people are rocking turbo ethers. Team effort to break the game guys!

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I'm still getting through this slowly. All main quests done and now wrapping up side quests and killing monsters. Nice to see everyone has got the right idea on outerworld and most people are rocking turbo ethers. Team effort to break the game guys!
It gets quite annoying on Hard, where EP gaining sucks.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
What levels of Poison, Imperil, Slow do you recommend for superboss
Erershkegal?

Finishing three of the main quests in one night feels good man.

I only have to beat the Luxerion quest before I literally have nothing "important" to do, and I'm on day 4 with 8 days left. Are there any secret weapons or garbs I could be going after? I just got
Odin's weapon
and it seems a bit underpowered, what's up with that? I noticed that it hits twice but it still didn't seem to be very special, compared to Stigma at least.

I'm also pretty confused about weapon upgrading in general. I've been using Stigma for a very long time now, but I'm not sure if I should upgrade it or how I should really go about upgrading it.

Szadek

Finishing three of the main quests in one night feels good man.

I only have to beat the Luxerion quest before I literally have nothing "important" to do, and I'm on day 4 with 8 days left. Are there any secret weapons or garbs I could be going after? I just got
Odin's weapon
and it seems a bit underpowered, what's up with that? I noticed that it hits twice but it still didn't seem to be very special, compared to Stigma at least.

I'm also pretty confused about weapon upgrading in general. I've been using Stigma for a very long time now, but I'm not sure if I should upgrade it or how I should really go about upgrading it.
The best weapons are sold in stores and the ultimate ones are all only in Hard mode.
Stigma is the best weapon of its kind you can get on normal.

Prototype

This is probably my last night playing LR for a bit because Dark Souls 2, but playing tonight I have to say that the Music in this game is really great. I find myself leaving the system on just to hear it, last time I did that with a game was Skyrim. Game isn't too bad, and is a lot better then what I was expecting. Head over to the research camp at night and just take in those sweet melodies.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I'm 41hrs in on my 3rd playtrhough (first ng+ though) and still have to do 50 sidequests to unlock Ultimate Lair! It'll take sometime... perhaps around 50-60 hrs I'll have completed everything. I have to hurry up because FFX/X-2 will be out soon and I want to play that too!

What a great year for FF fans!

RpgN

I've completed the game and seen the ending.

After reading some of the reactions during the Japanese launch and beyond, I expected the ending to be a total piece of shit. It turns out those people themselves were full of shit. They're entitled to their opinion, but they ruined it for the rest and made it sound like a fact that the ending sucked. How can you call yourself an RPG fan if you call this ending the worst you have ever seen? Don't most jrpg's end on a very cheesy note and with the power of friendship nonsense? Why is this being held against this game specifically? How can people say this with their Kingdom Hearts and Tales of games avatars? Sorry, but now it feels like my expectations have been betrayed.

I'm not saying this ending was without flaws, it certainly had them. It wasn't perfect by any means. It was a classic FF ending that was a tad too cheesy, miracles happening that are convenient for the plot etc. But again, how is that any different from most jrpg's out there?

Personally, I felt very satisfied with the ending, more so than with FFXIII and XIII-2. I'm left content and happy. Even if one part didn't make sense and the tone got cheesy towards the end. Also
They never showed Serah and Snow getting married. I have been wanting this since FFXIII :( Oh, and Sazh got ignored til the last part.
The one part that didn't make sense was
when Serah somehow rescued Lightning coupled with all her friends showing up and floating in space. Not that it doesn't happen with jrpg's, but I wished they would have avoided that miracle part.
At first I also thought something else didn't make sense:
when Caius revived that one specific Yeul that loves Noel. That happened out of nowhere.
Then I got reminded that
Caius and the rest of Yeuls have taken the role of Etro. Caius suddenly had the power to give life back to the dead. He used his power straight away. The rest of the Yeuls probably wanted to remain with Caius and carry out this role as well. Even though it all sounds too perfect, it makes sense within the rules that have been laid out within the game.

Out of all the trilogy, this is the most classic ending. It shares elements of previous games in the series. I'm guessing this was intentional for nostalgia's sake. The bit where
the souls are heading to the new world totally reminded me of lifestream. And by that I mean visually (FFVII). When the summons disappear after the defeat of Bhunivelze, this reminded me when a similar thing happened with the eidolons from FFX

The last 'dungeon' was pretty awesome.
The whole trials was a neat idea to get the ultimate equipment. I loved that the rooms had music from the previous games, and the locations where taken from specific places when you look through the mirror.

The last boss along with the last place looked fantastic. In terms of challenge he wasn't all that much, but I loved the different forms (nothing compares after beating Aeronite). The whole dialogue before fighting the boss was really good. That's another thing I want to gush about: the dialogue when it comes to the gods was handled perfectly. The writing and the amount of information that was shown during the cutscenes. Finally, the intriguing lore that was always kept behind datalogs was shown in all its glory in this game.

So what I'm trying to say? Now I'm certain there are some jaded FF fans out there that won't give credit where credit is due. The ending wasn't as bad as it was made out to be, the writing in the game wasn't as terrible as it was made out to be and the characters are more likable in this game.

I wish I could create a thread and discuss the ending more, but I'm but a junior :(

I've completed the game and seen the ending.

After reading some of the reactions during the Japanese launch and beyond, I expected the ending to be a total piece of shit. It turns out those people themselves were full of shit. They're entitled to their opinion, but they ruined it for the rest and made it sound like a fact that the ending sucked. How can you call yourself an RPG fan if you call this ending the worst you have ever seen? Don't most jrpg's end on a very cheesy note and with the power of friendship nonsense? Why is this being held against this game specifically? How can people say this with their Kingdom Hearts and Tales of games avatars? Sorry, but now it feels like my expectations have been betrayed.

I'm not saying this ending was without flaws, it certainly had them. It wasn't perfect by any means. It was a classic FF ending that was a tad too cheesy, miracles happening that are convenient for the plot etc. But again, how is that any different from most jrpg's out there?

Personally, I felt very satisfied with the ending, more so than with FFXIII and XIII-2. I'm left content and happy. Even if one part didn't make sense and the tone got cheesy towards the end. Also
They never showed Serah and Snow getting married. I have been wanting this since FFXIII :( Oh, and Sazh got ignored til the last part.
The one part that didn't make sense was
when Serah somehow rescued Lightning coupled with all her friends showing up and flowing in space. Not that it doesn't happen with jrpg's, but I wished they would have avoided that miracle part.
At first I also thought something else didn't make sense:
when Caius revived that one specific Yeul that loves Noel. That happened out of nowhere.
Then I got reminded that
Caius and the rest of Yeuls have taken the role of Etro. Caius suddenly had the power to give life back to the dead. He used his power straight away. The rest of the Yeuls probably wanted to remain with Caius and carry out this role as well. Even though it all sounds too perfect, it makes sense within the rules that have been laid out within the game.

Out of all the trilogy, this is the most classic ending. It shares elements of previous games in the series. I'm guessing this was intentional for nostalgia's sake. The bit where
the souls are heading to the new world totally reminded me of lifestream. And by that I mean visually (FFVII). When the summons disappear after the defeat of Bhunivelze, this reminded me when a similar thing happened with the eidolons from FFX

The last 'dungeon' was pretty awesome.
The whole trials was a neat idea to get the ultimate equipment. I loved that the rooms had music from the previous games, and the locations where taken from specific places when you look through the mirror.

The last boss along with the last place looked fantastic. In terms of challenge he wasn't all that much, but I loved the different forms (nothing compares after beating Aeronite). The whole dialogue before fighting the boss was really good. That's another thing I want to gush about: the dialogue when it comes to the gods was handled perfectly. The writing and the amount of information that was shown during the cutscenes. Finally, the intriguing lore that was always kept behind datalogs was shown in all its glory in this game.

So what I'm trying to say? Now I'm certain there are some jaded FF fans out there that won't give credit where credit is due. The ending wasn't as bad as it was made out to be, the writing in the game wasn't as terrible as it was made out to be and the characters are more likable in this game.

I wish I could create a thread and discuss the ending more, but I'm but a junior :(

Really? So we are entitled to our opinions, but I and everyone else who didn't enjoy the ending are still full of shit and ruined your experience? Never mind the fact that you appealed to the "True fan" fallacy and the "Everybody else does it" fallacy in the same paragraph where you call us all "full of shit". You also pretend that all the criticism levied at the story of games like Kingdom Hearts suddenly doesn't exist (at least half the fanbase calls it nonsensical). Truly a quality post.

Edit: Oh, and for a bonus, you threw in "You are just too bias to recognize the good parts" near the end. And throughout the post, you act like your opinion of everything trumps everyone else's opinion and feel justified in blatant ad hominem's. Just... fantastic posting right there.

I liked how the ending played out.

It was the execution of the ending that was fucking horrible and cringe-worthy to an unfathomable degree.

RpgN

Really? So we are entitled to our opinions, but I and everyone else who didn't enjoy the ending are still full of shit and ruined your experience? Never mind the fact that you appealed to the "True fan" fallacy and the "Everybody else does it" fallacy in the same paragraph where you call us all "full of shit". You also pretend that all the criticism levied at the story of games like Kingdom Hearts suddenly doesn't exist (at least half the fanbase calls it nonsensical). Truly a quality post.

I'm not attacking people like you when I asked about the ending the last time. There was nothing wrong with what you said and not liking the ending.

No, I'm talking about the hyperbolic negative comments that were SO aggressive (especially when it first got released in Japan), that the people who did like the ending were hesitant to show any affection for a period of time. I'm sounding more aggressive towards those hyperbolic claims. I'm just furious how the ending has been trashed to high heaven. In fact, the hate that this game has gotten was unfair imo. Sorry, that just bothered me. I didn't mean to attack anyone who had a negative opinion. I'm just against the people who seem to have an agenda and can't look objectively at certain elements. It's like because FFXIII was a disappointing game and lacking as an RPG, this game was hardly given any chance as a result.

Edit:

brandonh83 said:

It was the execution of the ending that was fucking horrible and cringe-worthy to an unfathomable degree.

Can you go into more detail if that's fine with you?

Zoe

Finally getting around to starting this (JP version). I won't have any problems using the Cloud costume with my NA account will I?

Yeah I agree.

I sometimes laughed hard during the ending and I'm usually blessed with the ability to take everything writers throw at me super seriously.

Not here.

But on a different note, it didn't upset me and I didn't care. Execution is shit, yes, but I never felt the urge to complain about such matters online.

timshundo

Was there any real meaning to the
environments from past games that you see in the final trials dungeon? The first door I went through had the Hanging Edge and I was super confused. The next room had Oerba and I almost shed a tear. So much memmoorriesss.

Szadek

environments from past games that you see in the final trials dungeon? The first door I went through had the Hanging Edge and I was super confused. The next room had Oerba and I almost shed a tear. So much memmoorriesss.
There is no meaning,SE was just too lazy to put in some real effort for the last dunegon.

Can you go into more detail if that's fine with you?

Yep.
people flying around in the air during silky smooth CGI cutscenes while laughing and stuff was seriously fluffy and was just eyerollingly awful to me, but I didn't mind how the story actually ended

HeelPower

Play an old soundtrack and slap a 2D image on the hallways...

Yeah not very meaningful or well done.lol

Adaren

^Speaking of which, anyone else had trouble with
those "angels"?

The +100% Resist Imperil accessory and Faith Feeder make all the difference against them. Imperil is what makes their super attack hit so hard, and as long as I wasn't debuffed I had no trouble blocking the whole thing. If you're missing Nacre Cameo for some reason, I might try the Miqo'te garb with Esuna Guard or other methods of resisting ailments.

If the numbers in the guide are to be believed, they're really only vulnerable to Staggering with elemental attacks while casting spells, but even then I found them very hard to Stagger and generally not worth it. Once I got the you-know-what from the final dungeon, I was able to burst them down before they casted anything dangerous, though.

Top Bottom