• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet Vita |OT| Touch my sack ... boy

slider

Yeah that's the one. There's a general Vita advert being run too, which shows LBP.

That one does say "£189..." doesn't it? That seems very good value to me. Hope they get some takers off that ad alone.

I'm finally home so have finally started DL'ing LBPV. Woohoo, expecting good things. Frustrated to also note Uncharted GA and a couple of others were failed DLs so have queued them up too. Bring it Vita, bring it.

Carl

That one does say "£189..." doesn't it? That seems very good value to me. Hope they get some takers off that ad alone.

Yeah the LBP ad says £189 for wifi Vita + LBPVita at Sainsburys. Pretty good deal. Has a 4GB memory card too.

Tiamant

Wow, all boss battles were good.

Typing this as the credits roll, superb game, excellent platformer and perfect use of the vita.

Now to ace all the levels!

wouwie

Watching the credits now, it's nice to see many familiar LBP creators in there.

I love the LBP franchise (bought LBP1, 2 and Vita) but surprisingly, playing this game did nothing for me and i don't exactly know why. I'm sitting here trying to remember levels that i want to replay, memorable music that i want to listen to again and great magical visuals/designed levels i want to rewatch. But i can't remember any. It was ok, but never more than that. I never felt that magic, fun, creative feeling that i had in LBP1 and 2. I can still hear tunes and visualise levels from LBP1/2 but i have already forgotten how LBP Vita sounds and looks like.

My biggest problem with this game is that it was exaclty like the previous game. Same story, same-ish characters, same gameplay. Like the previous games, it felt like an introduction/demo to every game mechanism available in the game. And since there are more and more mechanics with each new LBP, it just went on until the very end of World 4. It was only at World 5, when every gameplay mechanic was finally introduced, that i saw the start of a proper game.

For someone who has played the 2 previous games, having to be re-introduced to the grabinator and such just didn't felt exciting. I understand that new players have to be accounted for but why not introduce all mechanics early on and mix them together starting from World2?

Touch based controls didn't add much to the game imo (the reartouch panel should never have been part of the hardware). Also, touch controls broke the flow when you had to quickly switch back to analog. Why didn't the creators try for example to improve the enemy gameplay instead? That would have made a far bigger impact on the gameplay.

Also, the game felt so easy all the way through. I'm an average player and i didn't even have to try.

Just like Uncharted Golden Abyss was that "one too many Uncharted games", this feels like that "one too many LBP games" for me. I love the franchise but unless something radically changes for the next game, i'm not entirely sure i'm going to continue buying these games.

Since so many out there love this game, i'll put it down to franchise fatigue. And don't get me wrong: Tarsier, Double Eleven and Sumo have done a great job in taking on this franchise and bringing it to Vita. But for some reason, i didn't work that well for me. Which is sad since LBP was one of my main arguments for buying a Vita.

Also, since 99% of the people on here think it's a great game, don't listen to my feedback when deciding if you should buy :) Actually, i feel kind of bad being not as positive as the rest but i'm just stating how i feel after playing the game.

Edit: I should probably have mentioned that i spent lots of hours playing and enjoying LBP2 and community levels (iirc over 100 hours). At some point though, i kind of lost interest so maybe that explains why i was not so excited playing through more of the same.

billsmugs

I don't know if this is normal but whenver I save a level or object the saving icon stays on the screen for ages and causes serious lag and a lack of sound until it goes. If it makes a difference I am playing the download version that is no longer in my download list from the refund. Would rebuying the game fix this (the refund money is still in my account)?

Carl

Really love the LiveArea for this game, with the quick link to levels and team picks etc, as well as the activity feed with people acing levels etc.

Only one niggle with that - the activity feed tells you when someone hearts a level, but doesn't specify what the level is, which is a little weird. Sound Shapes links to the level so why can't LBP?

Just finished, great game, very polished and technically very good.
It uses all of Vita inputs, the touch screen is really a great addition to the franchise.
The story maybe was too short, but i liked the level design and the gameplay variations. Now I will try the editor, I'm sure that i will use it for hours.
It's just the complete LBP experience on a handheld, it has basically everything the brand has on home console and maybe even more stuff. PSP version was too ambitious for the hardware, LBP need a powerful console.
I think that this LBP is just perfect for Vita, now Tarsier, Double11, XDEV and Sony had to expand the game's functionality. A platform should have only one LBP in a generation.

whitehawk

Banned
They really really need to fix the lag in this game. First of all it's hard to get into a game, either people don't let me in half the time, and the other half I get a connection error.

Once I'm finally in a game, the lag is very noticeable. I've had several games were there was a 1+ seconds delay for my controls. I would press X, and 1 second later my sackboy would jump... Completely unplayable. I've only had a few games were the lag seemed less than 0.20 seconds so it was manageable, but still bad.

Skyzard

Banned
*One thing that causes me to actually crash (C2-12828-1) every single time - is when clicking the update all button in the downloads page. I can update manually, but every time I update automatically it crashes (i've sent the error reports yesterday).

Happened yesterday, tried it straight after and it happened again. Decided to manually update and it worked. Tried again today just cause when I saw the update button available again...insta crash.

*Btw "team picks" are currently empty right?

*Loving all these mini-games!

*Btw about the lag whitehawk mentions...I've had quite a similar experience although not yet as bad as 1 second.

Don't forget to open ports guys 3478-3479 (UDP...maybe tcp too) - set it to the ip of your vita..

Just finnished the story mode, what a fun little game this is looks great, plays great and the first Vita game I've played where I felt the touch actually added tp the game alot.

Noi

HOLY HELL.
MY SPIDERMAN LEVEL HAS HAD 1000 + PLAYERS.
It's so bad though =[

You put Spiderman in the name and you're surprised that it's had that many players?
KuGsj.gif

Grisby

Played more co-op today. If anyone wants to add me it's: FollowHunter
Just put gaf in the invite. I'm on at various points of the day.

KalBalboa

Banned
Finished the campaign just now. What an excellent platformer- I would have finished sooner if I hadn't replayed so many levels. The community aspects are really strong in this installment.

KalBalboa

Banned
Really love the LiveArea for this game, with the quick link to levels and team picks etc, as well as the activity feed with people acing levels etc.

Only one niggle with that - the activity feed tells you when someone hearts a level, but doesn't specify what the level is, which is a little weird. Sound Shapes links to the level so why can't LBP?

I agree with every sentiment here.

Is anyone else having frequent issues with the Vita's gyroscope going screwy, causing your character to be stuck looking straight down at the ground (or less commonly up at the sky)? This seems to happen almost randomly. Sometimes it will occur if my system goes to sleep and I've even had it happen if I lay my system down on a flat surface for a few seconds, then pick it back up and resume playing.

Is anyone else having frequent issues with the Vita's gyroscope going screwy, causing your character to be stuck looking straight down at the ground (or less commonly up at the sky)? This seems to happen almost randomly. Sometimes it will occur if my system goes to sleep and I've even had it happen if I lay my system down on a flat surface for a few seconds, then pick it back up and resume playing.

yeah this happened a couple of times to me, the looking at the ground thing.

Finished the game yesterday, thought it was good and graphically maybe one of the best on the Vita right now. Everything looked so polished. But like wouwie says, it's hard to pinpoint anything that really stood out like in previous ones. It's certainly a good game and i'm looking forward to what the community make with the tools, but it's certainly not as memorable as the first game. I think that just blew me away with how different it was at the time.

Only tried a couple of times to join others and each time I just get refused so yet to be able to comment on the connection issues.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Anyone wants to add me on PSN to help with 2 player items: K2Valor

I'm waiting for someone to join my game right now :\, running through the first levels

They really really need to fix the lag in this game. First of all it's hard to get into a game, either people don't let me in half the time, and the other half I get a connection error.

Once I'm finally in a game, the lag is very noticeable. I've had several games were there was a 1+ seconds delay for my controls. I would press X, and 1 second later my sackboy would jump... Completely unplayable. I've only had a few games were the lag seemed less than 0.20 seconds so it was manageable, but still bad.

I always get into a game immediately if I choose the option, so that part seems to work great. But yeah, sometimes the lag makes it very hard. Generally the normal levels are no problem, but a boss level is usually not a good idea, especially one that one of you doesn't know very well already.

Sorc3r3r

Awesome awesome awesome game.
Best game i have played this year, videogames should be about this, fun, and this is crystallized fun.
Levels are great, i am playing the hook levels right now and the flow is perfect, it has been done by a community creator rised at level designer i guess.

Btw spread the love, this game deserve to win some goty.

Micerider

Really astonished that the campaign levels have a much better level design than LBP 2. It really helps to put you in the mood to explore the game further.

Yes, it very much is a LBP game, and therefore lacks surprise. But I'd dare say that it could be the best version of LBP to date.

I really am. I didn't think it'd have even near half that many. Now I feel responsible for making a full fledged level.

Tell me about it. I made a proof of concept for a Lunar Landing game back in the LBP1 BETA and to my surprised it was a weekly pick on Media Molecule blog. These pics eventually turned into MM Picks.

You would not believe the reviews and comments I get about that level... Ruins my day every time I read it lol. I really want to make a proper level but I never have the time.

Out of curiosity, would you guys rather see a beat-em-up sidescroller/platformer, beat-em-up sidescroller ZoE style, or a shoot em up using Macross sprites (transforming and all)...?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Out of curiosity, would you guys rather see a beat-em-up sidescroller/platformer, beat-em-up sidescroller ZoE style, or a shoot em up using Macross sprites (transforming and all)...?

The first one, if it's like Streets of Rage. You guys are totally doing a Streets of Rage DLC pack, right? SoR... SoR...

Mik2121

i always thought you had a vita D:

I had one but then sold it because I had some money issues lol (this is before I started to work full time, now I have a nice income so I can buy it again). I only had a few games (Hot Shot Golf and Gravity Daze) so I've missed most of the recent stuff.

For now I'll just play LBP though. Right now the only next title I'm looking forward to is Tearaway. But I'll be honest, I didn't really care much about the Vita recently... until I remembered LBP was released just a few days ago, then the urge to play it came through and because tomorrow is my pay day, I'll just grab some money and buy it :p

Cleared out the ol' memory card last night in preparation for tomorrow. My Vita is ready! (I really wish I had a card larger than 8 gigs, but I'm cheap, so instead I just shuttle things back and forth from my PC like a madman.)

Grisby

I love platformer created levels the best. I mean, it's really cool to see what people can do with the tech and some it is fun but man, nothing beats a pure platformer level for sure.

Played up to world 4 now, totally in love again.

Had a discussion about the game at work today and someone suggested to play some co-op tomorrow... but then I found out that the game doesn't support ad-hoc multiplayer.

WHAT'S UP WITH THAT?!

Also... here's something weird:

Take the fun online and play alongside up to three of Sackboy’s friends via online or Ad Hoc Mode.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008CCDB9A/

Maybe they ran out of time?

Anyway: I think this should be patched in asap, because playing over wi-fi is laggy and not fun at all.
Though I think that they missed a really big chance here already... because a lot of people buying this game are expecting it to work like that straight out of the box...

:-/

Dr Dogg

Yeah the LBP ad says £189 for wifi Vita + LBPVita at Sainsburys. Pretty good deal. Has a 4GB memory card too.

Don't know if you had to enter the voucher code when it was available to pre order but I caved in and got this from Sainsburys for £170.10. Voucher code is only good for first time customers SETENS12R .

billsmugs

I've completed my first level, Mine Mania (PSN=billsmugs) I'd put an lbp.me link, but Vita levels don't seem to show up yet? I'd welcome any feedback/advice/bug reports to help me improve future levels. It's just a short little platformer level, with some touch stuff.

Also, quoting for visibility:
I don't know if this is normal but whenever I save a level or object the saving icon stays on the screen for ages and causes serious lag and a lack of sound until it goes. If it makes a difference I am playing the download version that is no longer in my download list from the refund. Would rebuying the game fix this (the refund money is still in my account)?
It's really annoying, causing levels to take ages to load and freezes at music changes etc any time after I save a level in create mode. I usually have to quit the game after a while and start it up again to get rid of the stupid icon and make the game work again. :( It's the only flaw in an excellent game, so I hope it gets fixed soon.

EDIT: I've posted the bug on Get Satisfaction: https://getsatisfaction.com/littlebigplanet/topics/save_icon_persists_causing_numerous_gameplay_issues_vita?rfm=1

So, when creating, the stickers I place on my level start glitching. They randomly disappear or parts of the stickers particularly around corners disappear. Is there a way to fix this?

I'm trying to make a background and I want to make it a specific colour. One solution I've found is to cut my background into little bits, so that it's not all one big object. This leaves slightly ugly lines in my level though.

Any other way around this?

Sid

Do something like streets of rage or a 2.5d god of war.

Skyzard

Banned
Played up to world 4 now, totally in love again.

Had a discussion about the game at work today and someone suggested to play some co-op tomorrow... but then I found out that the game doesn't support ad-hoc multiplayer.

WHAT'S UP WITH THAT?!

Also... here's something weird:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008CCDB9A/

Maybe they ran out of time?

Anyway: I think this should be patched in asap, because playing over wi-fi is laggy and not fun at all.
Though I think that they missed a really big chance here already... because a lot of people buying this game are expecting it to work like that straight out of the box...

:-/

I'd consider buying another vita if they added adhoc-mode, was a little disappointed not to see it there but I'm glad they at least focussed on MP instead (looking at you, modnation). Hopefully we'll see it in a patch down the line, could we get any confirmation though?

Maybe Sony decided it wants you to buy LBP2 :p

Top Bottom