• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

7aged

Monkeylord said:
Can't really as they're all gone now... but both me and our cost auditor (who by definition is reasonably good with numbers) both came to the same count.

I'm confident I reported accurately, and we have a good view as we're 3 stories up directly above Tottenham Court Road station with a view along Oxfords St, at the corner of Tottenham Court Road and 3 sides of Centerpoint including the diversion at the top of Charing Cross Road from across the site (we're upgrading TCR tube station).

This is definitely accurate.

How is that possible? The station building has been demolished.

Anyway, Tottenham Court Road has been busy with police vans the last couple of days but that convoy sounds like something else.

Marco1

The problem is that people don't fear the police anymore,with fear comes respect.
Teachers are pupils friends and social workers and the police are handing over responsibility to other departments.
I am not asking to bring back the days of smacking kids etc. but human rights activists have a lot to answer for.
I may sound like a craggy old man with a chip on my shoulder but things need to change no matter what the cost is.
All the police care about is improving on last years statistics but there's a difference between numbers and percentages. Catch 1 criminal out of 2 and that's 50% but a lot worse than catching 50 instead of last years 45.
Being British isn't something to be proud of anymore and I consider myself to be as British as the bulldog.

Meadows

Banned
anonnumber6 said:
Can you remember the school's 5 A*-C percentage?

60% when I finished High School in 2007

(It's Culcheth High School if you wanna look up the location btw, most of the kids came from Cadishead/Culcheth/Irlam/Birchwood, about 40% were on free school meals)

7aged said:
How is that possible? The station building has been demolished.

Anyway, Tottenham Court Road has been busy with police vans the last couple of days but that convey sounds like something else.

That's right. The building next to the current Oxford Street entrance (opposite the Cornish Pasty shop) is our site offices. I'm in a one of the portacabins bolted onto the side of that building directly above where the station building was.

I keep hearing more get closer, but they're obviously going a different route as they don't get within sight before they start fading into the distance.

Lots of activity though.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Monkeylord said:
Aaaaaaand... 5 more riot wagons and 6 regular white paddy wagons have just gone past the same way with a further 5 Riot Wagons diverting the opposite way along New Oxford St, so that's now a total of:

25 Grey/Dark Blue(Met) Riot Wagons
6 Paddy's
1 Undercover
1 Armoured JCB Forklift

WTF!?!!

I'd love it if this lot were just going to start taking down doors/walls of identified looters to bring them in. :D

Deku said:
There were also ethnic mongolian riots earlier this year.

Protests are quite common there but often under reported and if reported only in fragments with little follow up because of state censorship.

True, and more and more you're seeing it from non-ethnic issues and just people pissed off at officials. It's like the 1760s Boston Style method of complaining (which was riot, loot, and burn the governors house and tax officials property). Granted when you give no real means for redress, don't be surprised when it happens.

Nickiepoo

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
It's like the 1760s Boston Style method of complaining (which was riot, loot, and burn the governors house and tax officials property).

Are you suggesting that people rioted before computer games and rap music were invented? Because I don't see how that's possible.

7aged

Monkeylord said:
That's right. The building next to the current Oxford Street entrance (opposite the Cornish Pasty shop) is our site offices. I'm in a one of the portacabins bolted onto the side of that building directly above where the station building was.

I keep hearing more get closer, but they're obviously going a different route as they don't get within sight before they start fading into the distance.

Lots of activity though.

You work for crossrail I gather. That office sounds precarious.

I'm only a block away and I can't hear anything TBH. But then I'm not on the main road.

---

Any update on North London?

7aged said:
You work for crossrail I gather. That office sounds precarious.

I'm only a block away and I can't hear anything TBH. But then I'm not on the main road.

---

Any update on North London?

Nope, LU.

It's been quiet for a while now... eye of the storm?

Meadows said:
60% when I finished High School in 2007

(It's Culcheth High School if you wanna look up the location btw, most of the kids came from Cadishead/Culcheth/Irlam/Birchwood, about 40% were on free school meals)
That is interesting, 60% is quite a good for a state school especially as almost half of the students were on free school meals. My school was around 30% and fights were quite common, mostly between the Asians and whites from the estates.

Murkas

SmokyDave said:
I think those videos should be shown to fortified_concept, Clockwork Orange style.

I can hear him now:

TURN IT OFF
I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE. THOSE POOR DISADVANTAGED SOULS :(

Also this helicopter has been patrolling over head since yesterday checking out the Dudley Road and Handsworth areas. Probably making sure things are ok and hopefully not because things are picking up again.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Actions have consequences :)

4.14pm: The Wandsworth Guardian is reporting what it says may be the first eviction notice served on a council tenant connected with the riots.

A council tenant whose son has appeared in court charged in connection with the Battersea riots has today been served with an eviction notice.

The tenant is believed to be the first in the country to now be facing the prospect of losing their council-owned home as a result of Monday night's rioting and looting in St John's Road and Lavender Hill.

The process will see Wandsworth Council apply through the courts for the eviction to be granted - with the ultimate decision resting with a judge.​

Meadows

Banned
anonnumber6 said:
That is interesting, 60% is quite a good for a state school especially as almost half of the students were on free school meals. My school was around 30% and fights were quite common, mostly between the Asians and whites from the estates.

It might be worth noting that the school was about 85% white, 5% South Asian, 5% Black and 5% Chinese so there wasn't really any racial groups, everyone was pretty well integrated.

Dambrosi

Banned
Osiris said:
Actions have consequences :)
Hmm. So, gone from having something to lose to having nothing to lose.

Gee, I wonder what the consequences of such a policy will be.

(Yes, yes, I know, he should have thought about that when he was looting, bleeding-heart liberal, kill them all and let God sort them out, etc.)

Dambrosi said:
Hmm. So, gone from something to lose to nothing to lose.

You use other benefits to pay for rent elsewhere (places that won't need an act of government for eviction), seek employment, maybe realize that actions have consequences.

I doubt they will have nothing and be dying of hunger on the streets.

Deku

Banned
Dambrosi said:

(Yes, yes, I know, he should have thought about that when he was looting, bleeding-heart liberal, kill them all and let God sort them out, etc.)
To be fair I believe they rioted and looted under the premise they had nothing to lose because the state wouldn’t consider taking their free housing away.
Now they do have something to lose and lost it. I suspect this is largely symbolic. To change expectations.

I’m also not in favour of such draconian measures apploied en masse, as it dehumanizes criminals.

That said, I’d gladly hear what you would like to be done to criminals who are living on the state’s dime.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
SmokyDave said:
Interesting. Re-housed or homeless, I wonder?

Eviction usually results in loss of priority / rights to council housing.

iapetus said:
This is also why the death penalty should be randomly applied across the population to discourage murder.

The difference between using capital punishment is that the final nature of it. There is no way to bring someone back from the dead if it turns out they were innocent. It's the reason I don't support it.

If an evicted person or persons were found innocent it would be pretty simple to rehouse them and compensate them for their loss.

zomgbbqftw said:
If an evicted person or persons were found innocent it would be pretty simple to rehouse them and compensate them for their loss.
Not to worry, I'm sure making them homeless will ensure they'll end up doing something in the mean time which definitely will be considered justification for the eviction.
Ridiculous kneejerk measure. This will end terribly.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
zomgbbqftw said:
The difference between using capital punishment is that the final nature of it. There is no way to bring someone back from the dead if it turns out they were innocent. It's the reason I don't support it.

You're missing the point - we're talking about people who weren't involved in rioting who also lose their housing in these cases.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
16.11 Richard Alleyne files on a defendant prepared for any evenutality:
A man apeared in court going equipped to steal just after the riots - with balaclava, rubber gloves and swimming goggles.
Levent Mustafa, 22, said they were to keep his face warm and he liked wearing masks.
The defendant, wearing a superman t-shirt in the dock, was arrested on Thursday in north London.

iapetus said:
You're missing the point - we're talking about people who weren't involved in rioting who also lose their housing in these cases.
Many tentants sign acceptible behaviour agreements (specifically covering the behaviour of their children too) when they take on their housing contract. This will likely just be a case of them breaching that particular agreement.

Sure, it sucks for the kids who didn't commit a crime, no doubt. But what's the point in having these agreements if they're not enforced?

On the eviction notices, its worth noting that the courts will be looking at persons' circumstances and the viability of applying an eviction notice...

as Manos pointed out, they could still claim Housing Benefit to rent another place, it just means they're not going to be able to rely on the good graces of local councils - and it means they have may have a landlord to be answerable to in future.

I'm not necessarily against the evictions as long as they're applied sensibly.

Couple of hypothetical scenarios: chucking a young family out who you have every reason to believe will just have less and fall into deeper desperation... obviously not a good idea. Chucking person(s) out who have been using the council like a crutch, are a negative influence on a given estate that you manage, and are proving to be a pest and a financial drain -- sure, maybe. Throw housing benefit at them, let them try their shit with a private landlord. People under 25 can only get housing benefit for bedsit accomodation or a room in shared housing -- so again, forcing them into such systems instead will force them to live and get along with other people.

kitch9

Banned
Dambrosi said:

Nobody gives a fuck, I hope the blood sucking scum starves.

Until these lazy layouts prove they've been looking for work / training daily to no avail they'll get no sympathy from me. They might as well be clogging the gutter up, as there's plenty who deserve their house over them.

Dambrosi

Banned
Deku said:
To be fair I believe they rioted and looted under the premise they had nothing to lose because the state wouldn’t consider taking their free housing away.
Now they do have something to lose and lost it. I suspect this is largely symbolic. To change expectations.

I’m also not in favour of such draconian measures apploied en masse, as it dehumanizes criminals.

That said, I’d gladly hear what you would like to be done to criminals who are living on the state’s dime.
I've given it some thought, taking into consideration radioheadrule83's post above, and here's what I came up with:

• Forced full-time education in lieu of benefits for ALL convicted offenders, regardless of age, instead of imprisonment. The goal is to prevent "prison rot" and save the taxpayer money, as well as giving the offender something productive to do with their "time"
  • When they're not in school, force them to do indefinite community service for the duration of the sentence (ie, if the sentence is three years forced ed, have them also do CS for those three years). The goal is to keep them too busy/tired to re-offend
  • Dress them in special, easily recognisable uniforms while engaged in forced ed and CS. Humiliation works wonders as a deterrent, as someone else in this very thread already noted
  • At the end of their sentence, give them all the help they need to reintegrate into normal society (both monetary and infrastructure-wise)
Please tell me if you find anything wrong or bad in my proposals, I didn't really think about them for too long.

kitch9 said:
Nobody gives a fuck, I hope the blood sucking scum starves.

Until these lazy layouts prove they've been looking for work / training daily to no avail they'll get no sympathy from me. They might as well be clogging the gutter up, as there's plenty who deserve their house over them.

You're an arsehole. Nonetheless, I wish you a long and prosperous life.

Morn

Banned
Hot Fuzz 2 being filmed!!
IoCeL.jpg

Dambrosi said:
I've given it some thought, taking into consideration radioheadrule83's post above, and here's what I came up with:

• Forced full-time education in lieu of benefits for ALL convicted offenders, regardless of age, instead of imprisonment. The goal is to prevent "prison rot" and save the taxpayer money
  • When they're not in school, force them to do indefinite community service for the duration of the sentence (ie, if the sentence is three years forced ed, have them also do CS for those three years). The goal is to keep them too busy/tired to re-offend
  • Dress them in special, easily recognisable uniforms while engaged in forced ed and CS. Humiliation works wonders as a deterrent, as someone else in this very thread already noted
  • At the end of their sentence, give them all the help they need to reintegrate into normal society (both monetary and infrastructure-wise)
Please tell me if you find anything wrong or bad in my proposals, I didn't really think about them for too long.

That's a fine list, but I am almost certain that there are human rights violations in that list. Right to a private life etc...

It would be enforceable with pre-1998 laws before the government pased the HRA. A lot of these solutions that people and politicians are talking about with contravene the HRA. The long term lasting solution for us is to repeal the HRA and replace it will a bill of rights that would suit our way of life better than a continental way of life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom