• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
zomgbbqftw said:
GMP - Take a bow lads.

gmpolice GM Police
PCSOs have had a man arrested after recognising him from television coverage of the disorder in Manchester http://bit.ly/po52V0

Best police in the country. Mancunians should be proud!

My brain keeps thinking that's a misspelling of Manchurians. lol

It does seem that actions like this (though GMP seems to have come out looking far better than the Met did) may help restore confidence or approval of the police. It's interesting how many arrests there have been compared to Vancouver (which someone I think said was 0)!

Furret

Banned
killer_clank said:
I personally think this is just a matter of GMP being competent police as opposed to the absolute piece of shit the Met apparently is.

It's because they have cooler outfits. When you look like Judge Dredd you think like Judge Dredd, and that's when business gets done.

Bleepey said:
Someone should tweet them to post pics.
You need to post the pictures from their Flickr account I linked to a page or so ago. I couldn't extract the images and I didn't have a chance to do print screen cut and paste, but they're absolutely hilarious especially the nitwit with brick.

Hm, Don't quite know how I feel about this naming and shaming thing.

One one hand it helps the investigation but on the other hand its a massive violation of privacy, and you don't know what fuckhead are gonna recognise people and try and take the law into their own hands.

Bleepey

tumblr_lpobs29iET1qhu55go1_500.jpg

Cam eron should have come in like this.

Zomba13

'Iran ready to send peacekeepers to UK'
http://www.presstv.ir/detail/193467.html
“Unfortunately the crimes and violence of the autocratic British kingdom continues against the country's deprived [population] and not only the advice of well-wishers has no effect on the conduct of the regime's repressive police force but we witness the deprived people of this country are being called a bunch of thieves and looters,” he regretted.

lol

Verendus

Banned
It's like Iran is the master troll. Seriously. I read an article just recently about their comments on this situation and it's just troll, troll, troll.

f0rk

Just been out in Leeds and there was no trouble at all and a few police on the beat. I said it earlier but I really think it's a good idea that will never happen, there should be more police around. They are friendly to us drunks and give off good impressions against some of the unfounded police stereotypes (coming from the States?).

Yeah, I like having more police around when I go into town on Friday/Saturday nights. Makes me feel safer. They're always nice to me, too.

I wish there were more about the daytime usually.

And this is someone from a sleepy town in Wales. I imagine in a city I'd want many, many more police.

dtrack said:
OK, I laughed.

http://mydavidcameron.com/images/plebs1.jpg[/ig][/quote]

Take pleb out and replace it with fam

[quote=Psychotext]Saw loads of coppers in Cardiff... frankly it was a bit surreal.[/quote]

Yeah you get the feeling there are almost more police than people on the street

Ripclawe

Banned
Bleepey said:
tumblr_lpobs29iET1qhu55go1_500.jpg

Cam eron should have come in like this.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...ce-says-David-Camerons-new-crime-adviser.html

bratton-reuters_1971158c.jpg
young thugs 'should fear the police', says David Cameron's new crime adviser

Young thugs and gang members should be made to “fear” the police and the prospect of serious punishment for acts such as looting, says David Cameron’s new crime adviser.

In an interview with The Daily Telegraph, Bill Bratton, the former New York police chief, said many young people, especially gang members, had been “emboldened” by over-cautious policing tactics and lenient sentencing policies.

Losing public confidence in its ability to provide security — through force if necessary — created “incredible difficulty” for a police force, he said.

To be effective, a police force should have “a lot of arrows in the quiver,” said Mr Bratton, advocating a doctrine of “escalating force” where weapons including rubber bullets, Tasers, pepper spray and water cannon were all available to commanders.

Mr Cameron is an admirer of Mr Bratton’s approach to policing and has asked the American to advise him on gangs and urban violence following this week’s riots in English cities.

The disturbances led to criticism of the police for their initial response. Mr Cameron said commanders used the wrong tactics in the early stages and treated the situation too much as a public order issue, rather than “essentially one of crime”.

Speaking in New York, Mr Bratton, 63, said police forces should be more assertive in their dealings with offenders, leaving no doubt that crime would always meet a firm response.

“You want the criminal element to fear them, fear their ability to interrupt their own ability to carry out criminal behaviour, and arrest and prosecute and incarcerate them,” he said.

“In my experience, the younger criminal element don’t fear the police and have been emboldened to challenge the police and effectively take them on.”

Some critics believe that British forces have been cowed by threats of legal action and a lack of political support for robust policing. Mr Bratton said officers should leave no doubt that they were ready and willing to use force when required.

“What needs to be understood is that police are empowered to do certain things — to stop, to talk, to frisk on certain occasions, to arrest if necessary, to use force,” he said.

In particular, he said, gangs must “understand that provocation will be met with appropriate response”.

The whites have become black, says historian David Starkey.

Predictably, he blames rap music, but more interestingly and provocatively, he says the black import of unintelligible English, opposition to education, work, and social norms have spread from the black community to the white underclass and this is the reason the riots spread from the black enclaves to the rest of the country.
I've heard all this kind of stuff before from the "race and IQ" scholars, but it's interesting that this view was expressed openly on a BBC program. One thing I do agree with Starkey on it IS a time to speak frankly. One can accuse him of inciting or fomenting (unwittingly or not) racial tension, but such concerns have to be discussed at one point or another, where they can be robustly challenged or defended in full public view.

Salazar

I do think that the very easy traffic of patois helps a lot of white chavs feel a (mostly spurious) solidarity with black gangster culture - which is to an incredible degree more a solidarity with gangster culture than with anything particularly black.

Saying that they have "become black" was not clever of Starkey. Saying that their sense that they were becoming or could become black—in which farcical process language is the key agent—was propelling some of their criminality would have been closer to the mark.

Jin34

Foliorum Viridum said:
Yeah, I like having more police around when I go into town on Friday/Saturday nights. Makes me feel safer. They're always nice to me, too.

I wish there were more about the daytime usually.

And this is someone from a sleepy town in Wales. I imagine in a city I'd want many, many more police.

Do you always feel that way or is it in this particular time because of the riots? Because where I live the last thing the police make me feel is safer.

Right now, there is a subtle, but significant shift in discourse going on. based on their actions during the riots, I dont think UK Muslims are going to be the prevailing focus of right wing contempt, ridicule and scorn anymore. (a good thing)
The bad news is that we know who is going to take their place.

Jin34

theignoramus said:

Predictably, he blames rap music, but more interestingly and provocatively, he says the black import of unintelligible English, opposition to education, work, and social norms have spread from the black community to the white underclass and this is the reason the riots spread from the black enclaves to the rest of the country.
I've heard all this kind of stuff before from the "race and IQ" scholars, but it's interesting that this view was expressed openly on a BBC program. One thing I do agree with Starkey on it IS a time to speak frankly. One can accuse him of inciting or fomenting (unwittingly or not) racial tension, but such concerns have to be discussed at one point or another, where they can be robustly challenged or defended in full public view.

What are you guys importing racists now? That sounds like the kind of garbage I'm used to hearing on this side of the pond.

Salazar said:
I do think that the very easy traffic of patois helps a lot of white chavs feel a (mostly spurious) solidarity with black gangster culture - which is to an incredible degree more a solidarity with gangster culture than with anything particularly black.

Saying that they have "become black" was not clever of Starkey. Saying that their sense that they were becoming or could become black—in which farcical process language is the key agent—was propelling some of their criminality would have been closer to the mark.

Starkey goes on to say that David Lammy MP, the successful black man, could be thought of as having a white voice if you heard him on the radio--the "whiteness" of that voice denoting an intelligence that remarkably transcends ethnicity, apparently. Silly in the extreme when you note the distinctly African-American voices of rhetoricians-supreme MLK, Malcolm X and Obama: the sound or "twang" of voices is a superficial quality of environment, but it is the construction of words that allude to intelligence. An objective mind would hear that voice, or any voice for that matter, as simply intelligent and articulate in itself, but a conditioned mind only expects those attributes in a white person, hence the voice becomes "white". The dichotomy of wisdom and baseness becomes the good and proper, much-maligned white culture versus some straw man approximation of an unexisting homogenous black culture. Simplistic answers for simplistic minds.

Salazar

Tim the Wiz said:
Starkey goes on to say that David Lammy MP, the successful black man, could be thought of as having a white voice if you heard him on the radio

Yeah, the implication that this is some kind of compliment is quite slimy.

Muslim groups prevented rioters from rampaging/looting in areas
Pro-active response

On Monday evening when London suffered its worst looting in living memory I watched as a well marshaled team of volunteers wearing green fluorescent security vests marked 'East London Mosque' took to the streets of Tower Hamlets to help protect shops and communities from gangs of looters. This was the most visible manifestation of their pro-active response to fast moving and well co-ordinated teams of looters. Less visible was the superb work of Muslim youth workers from Islamic Forum Europewho used the same communication tools as the looters to outwit and pre-empt them on the streets.

While senior Westminster politicians started to pack and rush back to London from foreign holidays I watched Lutfur Rahman, the Muslim mayor of Tower Hamlets, offering calm leadership and support in the street as gangs of looters were intercepted and prevented from stealing goods in his presence.

Most important to emphasise is the extent to which everyone in Tower Hamlets was a beneficiary of streetwise, smart Muslims acting swiftly to protect shops, businesses and communities against looters. It is often wrongly alleged that Muslims lack any sense of civic duty towards non-Muslims and especially towards the LGBTcommunity. I wish peddlers of that negative anti-Muslim message had been present to see how all citizens in Tower Hamlets were beneficiaries of Muslim civic spirit and bravery on Monday night.

I am not sure if the Telegraph's Andrew Gilligan was robbed of his bike by looters in Tower Hamlets or in another part of London as he cycled home from Hackney to Greenwich on Monday night, but even his incessant negative reporting of Muslims associated with the East London Mosque would not have excluded him from their neighbourly support had they been in the immediate vicinity to help him.

Ashes

Banned
Walking about town; some people still kinda down. And I'm overly reflective on this whole thing. And that even with one foot in the football season as well!

What's the easiest way to make this the right size for a neogaf avatar:

51UOcet-GYL.jpg

Not entirely sure, whether I want it or not; some people might just think I'm adele selling my album. :p

Okay maybe they won't think that. :p

Bleepey

theignoramus said:
Right now, there is a subtle, but significant shift in discourse going on. based on their actions during the riots, I dont think UK Muslims are going to be the prevailing focus of right wing contempt, ridicule and scorn anymore. (a good thing)
The bad news is that we know who is going to take their place.

Yay!

:(

theignoramus said:

Eh..Not even bothered to say anything on this

What BBC program did he say this on?

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
midonnay said:
TIL that more than ten million ppl in Britain (1/6th population) live in public housing o_O
With the amount of tax we pay, I expect the government to at least use it to provide affordable housing, and prevent housing inequality. So this is a good thing.

Dakota47

Ashes1396 said:
Walking about town; some people still kinda down. And I'm overly reflective on this whole thing. And that even with one foot in the football season as well!

What's the easiest way to make this the right size for a neogaf avatar:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51UOcet-GYL.jpg[IMG]

Not entirely sure, whether I want it or not; some people might just think I'm adele selling my album. :P

Okay maybe they won't think that. :P[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/cedkT.jpg

theignoramus said:

To be fair, certain types of white culture can affect your employment prospects if taken too far.

RedDoor10.jpg

Meadows

Banned
David Starkey...*sigh* I want to like him so much but I'm afraid he's wrong here. The way he condemns all of rap music in one fell swoop is pretty fucking ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom