• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Men - Season 7, Part 2 - The End of an Era - AMC Sundays

phanphare

Banned
- GIFs from Warming Glow

ldTWkWy.gif

"I owe you a ten second car"

I'm actually glad that Betty and Sally came to an understanding and peace with one another in the episode. I know teenagers will rebel against their parents/authority but I guess in the constant discussion regarding the two over the years I had imagined years of sheer loathe in their future and it made the letter scene all the more fantastic.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Betty suddenly getting cancer at the end of the series is so contrived. That's something that should be hinted at or built up to. Her first attack, the diagnosis and her decision to opt out of treatment happened entirely in one episode.

hamchan

Pete turned from such a little creep at the start of the show into one of my favorite characters. He's had such huge character development over this whole series, I'm really glad that he (seemingly) received a happy ending.

hamboner

Neo Member
The timing on this turn for Betty was particularly hard, as my mom died of cancer last Monday. This episode was the cherry on top of a mother's day where I spent most of my time trying not to think about the fact that it was mother's day. Henry's breakdown and Betty's letter... damn, Weiner.

BFIB

The timing on this turn for Betty was particularly hard, as my mom died of cancer last Monday. This episode was the cherry on top of a mother's day where I spent most of my time trying not to think about the fact that it was mother's day. Henry's breakdown and Betty's letter... damn, Weiner.

Oh man, I'm sorry. :(

Weiner did the impossible, he made us care for Betty in the end. She had her redemption, and even facing death, she wore her armor that she always has worn.

I'm so gonna miss this show.

Dany

Banned
Betty suddenly getting cancer at the end of the series is so contrived. That's something that should be hinted at or built up to. Her first attack, the diagnosis and her decision to opt out of treatment happened entirely in one episode.

I didn't feel that. I mean her cancer had spread through the rest of her body, last week she complained about carrying her books everywhere. What hints should there have been? It can come out of nowhere without any signs/symptoms.

I'm sorry for your loss :( Yeah this episode airin on mothers day was kinda fucked

She had a cancer scare a few seasons ago. A lump in her throat diagnosed as benign. Perhaps it was misdiagnosed.

Betty is a character who has been defined by death since the beginning of the show: First her mother's, then her father's, now hers. I think it's a very appropriate end for her character.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I didn't feel that. I mean her cancer had spread through the rest of her body, last week she complained about carrying her books everywhere. What hints should there have been? It can come out of nowhere without any signs/symptoms.
Yeah it can, but coming at the very end of the series is what bothers me. If you're going to do it at least have some build up. Carrying the books was not enough.
She had a cancer scare a few seasons ago. A lump in her throat diagnosed as benign. Perhaps it was misdiagnosed.
That's true. However, that's a long time to suddenly have it show up again, specifically at the closing of the series.
She smokes like crazy.
A lot of people do that never develop cancer. It's very much dependent on genetic makeup and other lifestyle choices.

Seriously there's only one more episode? I feel like I will need to immediately watch the whole run through from the start next Monday. One of those very few shows where almost every scene is golden, they do so much in such a short space of time it's magnificent.

I loved Betty's reaction to her diagnosis, completely admirable and justified.

Lung cancer diagnoses are often like that. It happened in almost exactly the same way for a family friend. An x-ray for a rib revealed a mass, then he lasted maybe six months after that. It often comes out of nowhere and progresses very quickly.

Shamdeo

Lung cancer diagnoses are often like that. It happened in almost exactly the same way for a family friend. An x-ray for a rib revealed a mass, then he lasted maybe six months after that. It often comes out of nowhere and progresses very quickly.

Pretty much the same thing with my grandpa last year. :(

It felt a little sudden, but they did foreshadow health issues with Betty's thyroid problem. And IRL this does happen fast. Somebody I know lost a loved one, from no symptoms to passing in about 3 months.

hamchan

What a time for Don to go walkabout huh. Might never see Betty alive again.

The previous episode was totally the last bye bye Birdie from him.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Given the era we're talking about and Betty's past health scares I don't really see it as contrivance.
Past health scares? What is there besides the benign tumor and psychiatry? I've never seen her health as a big concern.

I was to reiterate: I'm not trying to disregard how quickly cancer spreads, I just dislike how they handled it especially just throwing it out at the end of the series. It's a contrived ending of her story, a quick method of killing her off. Her swift decision to forgo treatment was a disservice to her character after 7 seasons. This should have been spread across at least two episodes, not one.

tchocky

If they had done Betty's cancer any earlier it would have meant scrapping Don leaving New York because he would be a total asshole to abandon his kids when their mother is dying/dead.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I hope the series ends with Don't doing the right thing for his family. I don't know exactly what that means but something unselfish.

The Betty situation did t have to be earned in my view. These things happen suddenly and rapidly. Particularly with people you don't see regularly in life.

Past health scares? What is there besides the benign tumor and psychiatry? I've never seen her health as a big concern.

I was to reiterate: I'm not trying to disregard how quickly cancer spreads, I just dislike how they handled it especially just throwing it out at the end of the series. It's a contrived ending of her story, a quick method of killing her off. Her swift decision to forgo treatment was a disservice to her character after 7 seasons. This should have been spread across at least two episodes, not one.
Don dying of cancer is what would have been really contrived.

And Weiner isn't above a few mild contrivances if it serves the show's overall themes. This fits Betty's arc well.

Dany

Banned
I wonder how much time had past from Betty falling to her reading the letter. I don't think it was a disservice because Betty says herself she knows that she can give up because it makes it easier. It is unnecessary to fight and I do believe that fits to her character.

hamchan

I think it fits perfectly with the tragedy that is Betty's life that when things started to look up for her and she was taking steps to improve herself, that she now gets cancer.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Goddamn... My condolences.

She's not dead yet. I think this actually exemplifies the growth her character has gone through. She has come so far from being an emotional child obsessed with frivolous things, unable to cope with serious situations.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
She's not dead yet. I think this actually exemplifies the growth her character has gone through. She has come so far from being an emotional child obsessed with frivolous things, unable to cope with serious situations.

I think she is. I don't think Sally opened the letter early. To me it was implying that Betty had died already by the end of the episode.

Pillville

I think she is. I don't think Sally opened the letter early. To me it was implying that Betty had died already by the end of the episode.

Sally opened the letter as soon as she got back to school.

If her mom mad JUST died after months of getting sicker and sicker, do you think she'd really still be at the boarding school?

Further Proof:

The calendar is still on the same month:
565.jpg

mad-men-cry.gif

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."

If her mom mad JUST died after months of getting sicker and sicker, do you think she'd really still be at the boarding school?

Further Proof:

565.jpg

mad-men-cry.gif

If you look at the letter again as she's opening it, it's already been ripped up and she's reading it a second time. I could by way off base here, but I believe that she did read it immediately, but in that particular scene she's reading it again because Betty had died.

Draper

Not enough can be said about the context of the letter. She wanted to maintain and solidify a certain level of class perception about herself even in the end- all a result of her upbringing. It's the reason why Henry was more suitable for her. It's kinda tragic.

jtb

Banned
Betty's not dead, but she will be. I don't really see the point in picking out that final scene too much, it doesn't really change anything.

maharg

idspispopd

Further Proof:

...snip...

So, a thing some people might not know about how cancer progresses, particularly if untreated: Death can come very quickly and very suddenly, and the person with cancer can go from mostly fine one day to completely dead the next. Many of the things we associate with the decline seen in cancer patients are actually the result of chemotherapy and radiation treatment.

Betty got a prognosis of 6-12 months *with treatment*. WIthout treatment, which she adamantly refused, that's basically any time between next week and a year, especially when the show is set.

That said, I don't think it really matters when Sally read the letter, and I don't think Betty's death is going to figure much into the finale.

Angry Fork

So what happened to Roger? He just ran off with the french lady and we won't see him again? Think we'll see Megan again? And what happened to the waitress Don hooked up with? I know it's left up to interpretation but I'm wondering what you guys think.

Awesome episode. I wonder if they'll fast forward to Betty's death or if it'll continue where it left off.

Betty's not dead, but she will be. I don't really see the point in picking out that final scene too much, it doesn't really change anything.

We're probably not going to see Betty in the show again, so yeah, she might as well be dead. Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if we don't see anyone else bar Don in the next episode. Everyone else's story has been wrapped up quite well.

Joan was unable to overcome the institutional sexism at McCann. Roger's company has been absorbed but he'll still ultimately be Roger. Pete has finally grown up. Ken has sold his soul. Despite the cancer, Betty has finally found herself. Ted is relatively happy at McCann. Peggy has stopped waiting on life to happen and formed some self identity. Harry Crane is still a douche. We have enough information to project where all of the characters will be in the future with the exception of Don.

I think we might get a glimpse at the lives of other characters through the lens of whatever Don's new persona/life but I don't really think anyone else needs closure.

phanphare

Banned
If you look at the letter again as she's opening it, it's already been ripped up and she's reading it a second time. I could by way off base here, but I believe that she did read it immediately, but in that particular scene she's reading it again because Betty had died.

nah, as she's reading it they show betty walking up those stairs again

So what happened to Roger? He just ran off with the french lady and we won't see him again? Think we'll see Megan again? And what happened to the waitress Don hooked up with? I know it's left up to interpretation but I'm wondering what you guys think.

Awesome episode. I wonder if they'll fast forward to Betty's death or if it'll continue where it left off.

He's with the senior citizens on whichever floor. I think he'll OK-but-bored at McCann and will either have a heart attack and die, or retire at the end of his contract.

we're at a point where if the finale didn't feature anyone from the agency — or even Sally or Betty or anyone from Don's family — I wouldn't feel cheated out of a proper ending for them. (In Peggy's case, that final image of her with the sunglasses and cigarette was so perfect that I'm almost afraid to return to the reality of her life at McCann, even though I wish we could have one last Don/Peggy scene.)
Agree with this. Part of me wants more Peggy, and one more Peggy and Don scene, but the other part is afraid of seeing Peggy get shit on once again by the men in the office and would rather her finale be the bad-ass strut.

I feel like this last episode will feature some element of Don & Peggy. Maybe Don is back for the funeral after a small time-skip. Something like that. He's going to find out about Betty's diagnosis sooner rather than later, because no matter what he's calling his daughter weekly, and she's going to say something to him (I doubt she'll hide it from him).

Will we get quick little segments showing where all these people are at the end of 1970 going into 1971? Maybe, but probably nothing more than glimpses. Joan's story is effectively done, Pete & Trudy's is effectively done. Roger's is kinda completed, but I can see Don talking to him one last time. Peggy's got a good gracenote with that Risky Business-esque "You just gotta say what the fuck" stroll down t he hall, but I think we're gonna get Don talking to her one last time.

No way we don't get a Peggy+Stan in the finale. NO WAY.

You'll see an old Don watching the Clio's on TV. McCann wins best advertisement for their Coca Cola ad. Peggy and Stan will take the stage. Peggy thanks everyone who ever helped her get to where she is and smile directly into the camera almost as if to Don. Don smiles back.

That episode brought me to tears multiple times. Tragic.

I am hopeful that there is some redemption left. My fanfiction ending would be we jump forward and open with Betty's funeral and Conrad Hilton is in attendance. He offers to take Don in house and buy him out from McCann. Sally and Don go on a European trip like he took with Betty and talk about life.

Jump forward again to Peggy giving a pitch to Don as Hilton's representative. End with a glance and a smile just before she starts.

Has the show ever done an entire episode that didnt' touch on another supporting character's story, though?

It'd be kinda weird to have an episode of Mad Men that never left Don at all, I think.

Top Bottom