• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Men - Season 7, Part 2 - The End of an Era - AMC Sundays

JTripper

I really hope its an all Don finale. I feel like every other character is fine as they are. I don't need to know more.

I would kind of be fine with this, considering every character's last appearance since we saw them have been pretty notable (except maybe Roger). I would like to see a more definitive end for Peggy but her hallway walk scene was pretty indicative that she had a completely new outlook on life as opposed to the constantly focused over-worked Peggy who never made time for her personal life.

The only thing I could say for Roger is that maybe his office moment with Peggy was saying that he's handing down his wisdom and perspective on life to a younger, more viable professional like Peggy. I mean, Cooper is dead. Sterling Cooper (the agency) is dead. Could that mean Sterling (or just hist story to be told) has come to an end as well?

I'm really thankful that this show is ending on such a wide variety of notes for these characters.

Some are getting tragic endings (Betty). Some are getting extremely happy endings (Pete). Some are getting kind of iffy endings (Joan).

And it's not based on their personal character or likeability. It's just kind of a crapshoot. Like life.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
I wonder if he'll fully embrace
and become Dick Whitman
in the finale. He definitely seems happier than he was
as Don

Blader

So has Don actually quit or been fired yet, or is he fucking around on his own time without any kind of dialogue between him and McCann so far?

JTripper

So has Don actually quit or been fired yet, or is he fucking around on his own time without any kind of dialogue between him and McCann so far?

I'm not entirely sure, but in last night's episode I think I remember Pete or Duck saying something about "finding someone to replace Don", so Don may be gone. Don himself also said to the maid he "was in advertising" as in past tense.

Klocker

We're probably not going to see Betty in the show again, so yeah, she might as well be dead. Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if we don't see anyone else bar Don in the next episode. Everyone else's story has been wrapped up quite well.

Joan was unable to overcome the institutional sexism at McCann. Roger's company has been absorbed but he'll still ultimately be Roger. Pete has finally grown up. Ken has sold his soul. Despite the cancer, Betty has finally found herself. Ted is relatively happy at McCann. Peggy has stopped waiting on life to happen and formed some self identity. Harry Crane is still a douche. We have enough information to project where all of the characters will be in the future with the exception of Don.

I think we might get a glimpse at the lives of other characters through the lens of whatever Don's new persona/life but I don't really think anyone else needs closure.

Perfect summary

They mentioned last night that they were replacing Don at McCann so yes he's done there

I wonder if he'll fully embrace
and become Dick Whitman
in the finale. He definitely seems happier than he was
as Don

Legally, Don was never in a position where he could become Dick Whitman again. On paper, he has no choice but to stay Don Draper.

But ultimately I think the show ends with Don being forced to find a balance between his two personas. He can't be 100% Dick Whitman because Dick Whitman would abandon those three kids. I mean, Christ, that would be a ballsy finale, but I can't see it happening.

wedward

I feel like this last episode will feature some element of Don & Peggy. Maybe Don is back for the funeral after a small time-skip. Something like that. He's going to find out about Betty's diagnosis sooner rather than later, because no matter what he's calling his daughter weekly, and she's going to say something to him (I doubt she'll hide it from him).

Will we get quick little segments showing where all these people are at the end of 1970 going into 1971? Maybe, but probably nothing more than glimpses. Joan's story is effectively done, Pete & Trudy's is effectively done. Roger's is kinda completed, but I can see Don talking to him one last time. Peggy's got a good gracenote with that Risky Business-esque "You just gotta say what the fuck" stroll down t he hall, but I think we're gonna get Don talking to her one last time.

I think this is probably the best guess so far.

TwoDurans

I feel like this last episode will feature some element of Don & Peggy. Maybe Don is back for the funeral after a small time-skip. Something like that. He's going to find out about Betty's diagnosis sooner rather than later, because no matter what he's calling his daughter weekly, and she's going to say something to him (I doubt she'll hide it from him).

Will we get quick little segments showing where all these people are at the end of 1970 going into 1971? Maybe, but probably nothing more than glimpses. Joan's story is effectively done, Pete & Trudy's is effectively done. Roger's is kinda completed, but I can see Don talking to him one last time. Peggy's got a good gracenote with that Risky Business-esque "You just gotta say what the fuck" stroll down t he hall, but I think we're gonna get Don talking to her one last time.

So long as we also get to see a piano fall on Harry Crane then I'm on board with this idea.

Maybe the last episode is actually all about Sal. How much of a mindfuck would that be.
Maybe this whole series was a concept Sal created for a show he wants to direct. The final scene will be him pitching the TV execs at AMC where they'll say "nah, no one would watch that." FADE TO BLACK

wedward

Also, people saying he is going to end up either as Dick or Don are making it a little too black and white.

Firstly, he can't change his name back to Dick. I suppose he could start going by Dick again, but that wouldn't change anything really and symbolically doesn't really make sense.

Don will always struggle to be the person he wants to be. It's never going to be easy for him. He isn't going to have some epiphany that makes everything better for him. I do think learning about Betty will force him to be a better parent.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Peggy realizing she don't need no man for validation basically perfectly closes the book on her character. I love her and want more but I don't need it.

What really struck me was Sally at the dinner table with her brothers. They don't know it and I think she doesn't either yet but already she took on the adult mannerisms of being a parent. She will have to grow up soon. Devastating.

Fjordson

What really struck me was Sally at the dinner table with her brothers. They don't know it and I think she doesn't either yet but already she took on the adult mannerisms of being a parent. She will have to grow up soon. Devastating.
That hit me hard. Like there's a lot more of that in the future for her. Rough =[

JTripper

Peggy realizing she don't need no man for validation basically perfectly closes the book on her character. I love her and want more but I don't need it.

She's in some ways more grown up than a lot of people in the show, in my eyes. After all the things she's seen that have disgusted her about adult life, to caring for her brothers the way she does, to having to comfort Henry in her dorm when Henry was initially there to comfort her after breaking the news.

I would be fine with a Don-only, Peggy-free finale, but I don't think it's going to happen for two reasons:

1) Don and Peggy's relationship is too important for the show not to acknowledge in some capacity in the finale.

2) I can't imagine Peggy's final appearance will be in the show's third-to-last episode.

TwoDurans

Betty was Betty to the end. She spent 75% of her letter to Sally telling her how she wanted to look when she died.

She also refused chemo because she didn't want to look sick. You could tell everything about that decision by the way she was brushing her hair.

phanphare

Banned

yeah that hit me in the feels for personal reasons

the way bobby asked her if they could eat yet and then sally making sure she said hello to and hugged gene. really well done scene.

CassSept

The show started with Peggy, as much as her final scene last week would be fitting in some ways, I'd be shocked if we didn't see her in the finale.

ultron87

Yeah, I need more Peggy in the finale. Would really want to see her get something else going in life besides being a boss at work.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I'm gonna guess you're a smoker.
Nope, but my father is. I have other family who have too. Good job on the poor assumption.
She's not dead yet.
We're probably not going to see Betty in the show again, so yeah, she might as well be dead.
Pretty much this. Joan and her are gone as is Pete likely.
AzureRonin said:
I think this actually exemplifies the growth her character has gone through. She has come so far from being an emotional child obsessed with frivolous things, unable to cope with serious situations.
In one episode? Other characters have had more time to think over decisions that were of less importance. It was too abrupt and she gave up too easily.

Linius

Betty suddenly getting cancer at the end of the series is so contrived. That's something that should be hinted at or built up to. Her first attack, the diagnosis and her decision to opt out of treatment happened entirely in one episode.

If you wanna be annoyed by how a movie goes about cancer you should totally watch The Room.

maharg

idspispopd
Nope, but my father is. I have other family who have too. Good job on the poor assumption.

Pretty much this. Joan and her are gone as is Pete likely.

In one episode? Other characters have had more time to think over decisions that were of less importance. It was too abrupt and she gave up too easily.

Eh. I think they've been building this up for quite a while, really. Just you see her so rarely now it's hard to see it in terms of steps. Which is rather true to life, really.

And it's not as if she isn't still herself. She's comfortable with going out on her own terms (I think this is intended to contrast with her reaction to her mother's death in S1, but I honestly haven't seen it in so long I don't remember much of that), but she is still (as pointed out in posts above mine) quite vain about the whole thing.

If you wanna be annoyed by how a movie goes about cancer you should totally watch The Room.

Hah. That kills me every time.

big ander

Sally was not opening the letter after Betty had died. Mad Men plays with time a lot between episodes, but it doesn't really have mismatched timelines within them-- it doesn't parallel cut between stories that are taking place at completely different times. This entire episode takes place over about a week.

75% of Betty's letter may have been about chiffon, but the other 25% acknowledging that Sally's future is a brighter one, one that she'll regret not being able to participate in, is heartbreaking. It's a perfect capper to her arc. Betty spent seasons woefully lacking self-awareness, unable to see that her unhappiness was a result of her defining herself in relation to her gender, race, economic status, yadda yadda. She was always fitting her life into rigid etiquette and was melancholy for it. Finally the changing times and the lesson of her daughter showed her she could define her own identity-- and just as she was beginning to self-determine, she's cut down. That magnificent shot of her in close-up, foregrounded and in-focus, as blurry doctor and Henry argue sums it up so devastatingly. She might have had the chance to try and escape the misogynist backwards-looking world of Men In Charge and obedient wives that she so eagerly lived in for decades, but she missed it. Even on death's door men treat her like a child. Accepting it the way she did by refusing to listen to a row of male oncologists and the demands of her husband, graciously accepting that it's partially her own fault she missed her chance to live how she wanted to live, and then giving her blessing and confidence to Sally while insisting on being her own person right until she collapses, was beautiful. She won't be able to reinvent and live an adventure. Sally will, and up until she collapses on the stairs for good Betty's going to keep climbing them. That's a home run of an arc.

My guess is he's being treated like he was when on "leave": everyone at McCann knows he's effectively fired, but it's not official until there's a replacement. Who knows though, Hobart could've closed it off entirely between episodes.

I do think Sally was conscious there of how she'd have to soon take care of her brothers. How she treated them was very appropriate: babying Gene and being a bit short with Bobby but not cold.

phanphare

Banned
75% of Betty's letter may have been about chiffon, but the other 25% acknowledging that Sally's future is a brighter one, one that she'll regret not being able to participate in, is heartbreaking. It's a perfect capper to her arc. Betty spent seasons woefully lacking self-awareness, unable to see that her unhappiness was a result of her defining herself in relation to her gender, race, economic status, yadda yadda. She was always fitting her life into rigid etiquette and was melancholy for it. Finally the changing times and the lesson of her daughter showed her she could define her own identity-- and just as she was beginning to self-determine, she's cut down. That magnificent shot of her in close-up, foregrounded and in-focus, as blurry doctor and Henry argue sums it up so devastatingly. She might have had the chance to try and escape the misogynist backwards-looking world of Men In Charge and obedient wives that she so eagerly lived in for decades, but she missed it. Even on death's door men treat her like a child. Accepting it the way she did by refusing to listen to a row of male oncologists and the demands of her husband, graciously accepting that it's partially her own fault she missed her chance to live how she wanted to live, and then giving her blessing and confidence to Sally while insisting on being her own person right until she collapses, was beautiful. She won't be able to reinvent and live an adventure. Sally will, and up until she collapses on the stairs for good Betty's going to keep climbing them. That's a home run of an arc.

beautifully put

I highly doubt Duck was there to talk about replacing Don - look at the meeting he walked out of, creative directors are a dime a dozen at McCann. That was just a cover story to slide up next to Pete to dangle the Lear opportunity in his face.

EDIT:
Duck may not have even known about Don, let's be real. He just rolled with it.

Or that. Duck's all about rolling with it - and is it too early for a drink?

Duck, for whatever reason, is one of my favorite characters and I was glad to see him one last time.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Mad Men is a fantastic show, but for some reason it never affects me on an emotional level (I probably grew to approach it too cynically throughout the years).

Henry crying and Sally reading the letter while Betty walked up the stairs got me good though.

hamchan

I do think we need more Peggy. She and Don are the two most important characters in the show and their relationship has been a huge part of the series. Also I totally can't see Peggy staying at McCann Erickson for very long. She's not someone like Harry Crane who is satisfied working in a place like McCann, she was raised in the advertising world by wildcard Don Draper after all. She'll take on some of his traits and form her own path to eventually making her own firm I reckon.

I could see Pete poaching Peggy to Lear from McCann after she's unhappy. And then, they meet Don for lunch at the Wichita Sears while he's on his break. And they pull away slowly for the final shot, just like at Burger Chef.

(I am really sticking to my absurd Don ends up working at Sears theory. Maybe in the Sears Auto Center!)

big ander

I say we definitely see Peggy again. For the finale other than Don I'm thinking Peggy, Roger and Sally are locks. that last one may just be a hope.

also holding out for a Blankenship ghost.
beautifully put
I've always had a soft spot for betty, I think she's far more interesting than frequently given credit for. Sure she can be off-putting and acidic--so can every Mad Men character. I think Betty's regressive prim housewife seemed an easier, more reductive target earlier in the series. She's always had inner turmoil and identity troubles as complex and ineffable as anyone else in the cast though.
Mad Men is a fantastic show, but for some reason it never affects me on an emotional level (I probably grew to approach it too cynically throughout the years).

Henry crying and Sally reading the letter while Betty walked up the stairs got me good though.
I react easily to tv and movies, but Mad Men doesn't make me tear up as often as I might at other favorite shows of mine. It's not an emotionally obvious show, with its dream logic and stifling ambivalence. That's precisely what makes it special, and why when there is release (e.g. last night, The Suitcase) it's so powerful.

KarmaCow

Betty's journey to this point was pretty bland and messy but that episode was a nice little bow for the character. That letter was devastating and it really feels like a timeskip is the only way to continue from that for both Betty and Sally.

And the speculation about Don going back to being Dick Whitman seems weird. Who is even Dick Whitman at this point? It's not some separate isolated identity. Every episode has Don losing something but it doesn't seem to make him happier. This is who is, even if he lies about details.

Opto

Banned
They're really peeling away what Don is at every ending. Loses his furniture, apartment, attachment to New York, and now his car.

Weiner said explicitly in an interview that he thinks, overall, don is a good father. He'll come back.

I think overall Don wants to be a good father, but, like, doesn't put in the effort. When Don was eyeing up the woman at the pool, his moment is shattered when her family comes into the picture. I don't think he hates his kids at all, but they've always been a weight around his neck.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
It worked for The Wire.

That's because it fitted the theme perfectly of repeating mistakes. I don't think it would work in the same way for Mad Men.

Great post. Betty didn't give up, she was defiant and went out on her own terms. Whilst she still clung to the aesthetic-based approach that society had made her into, it was because that was what she wanted. January Jones has always played the character well and was particularly good this episode, as was Kiernan Shipka (who should have a bright future)

Top Bottom