• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG 2.0 |OT| of Ultimate Relaunch Party with Playstation MOVE!

jayb said:
Multi-Queue is great, but when I select every game mode, I almost always get stuck in Suppression. Then if I select all but Suppression, I more likely to get put in Sabotage or Acquisition...rarely Domination. I just seems like it puts me in whichever mode fills up the quickest with players, which ends up being the modes that require less players.

Maybe it's just me, it seems like multi-queue needs to do a better job at randomizing which game modes it puts players into. When I select multi-queue with all game modes, I want to play a good mix of modes, not three Suppression matches in a row. :/

Anyway, I was LTTP to MAG and love it. I just Vetted from SVER to Raven for the first time and am still having a blast.

well I guess that's the purpose of multiqueue, to get you faster into any game and obviously domination will need longer time to fill up with players.

what's this extra 120% xp for escalation? is it only when you play escalation? did people still play it? the last thing I want is to buy the dlc, then have to wait 20minutes before I got into any escalation match.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Callibretto said:
well I guess that's the purpose of multiqueue, to get you faster into any game and obviously domination will need longer time to fill up with players.

what's this extra 120% xp for escalation? is it only when you play escalation? did people still play it? the last thing I want is to buy the dlc, then have to wait 20minutes before I got into any escalation match.

No no. You know how for every game type you select for Multiqueue, you get a 20% XP bonus? The max you can get without the DLC is 80% (20% each for Dom, Suppression, Acqui, and Sabo). With Escalation and Interdiction added in, there's another 40%, for a total of 120%.

Seraphis Cain said:
No no. You know how for every game type you select for Multiqueue, you get a 20% XP bonus? The max you can get without the DLC is 80% (20% each for Dom, Suppression, Acqui, and Sabo). With Escalation and Interdiction added in, there's another 40%, for a total of 120%.
So they are giving extra xp if you don't care what game type you play? Nice way to even out the player numbers per mode.

Das-J

Law of the West
BobTheFork said:
So they are giving extra xp if you don't care what game type you play? Nice way to even out the player numbers per mode.
That was one of our intentions, yes. :)

BobTheFork said:

it still end up being a way to get into a match faster, not balance out player number per game mode. I never got into any domination or even interdiction match from multiqueue.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Callibretto said:
it still end up being a way to get into a match faster, not balance out player number per game mode. I never got into any domination or even interdiction match from multiqueue.

That's odd. I've gotten into several Domination matches through MQ. Not as many as other game modes, of course, but still.

As for Interdiction, I doubt anyone gets into any Interdiction matches ever, judging from the player count I see on a daily basis (next to none).

Seraphis Cain said:
That's odd. I've gotten into several Domination matches through MQ. Not as many as other game modes, of course, but still.

As for Interdiction, I doubt anyone gets into any Interdiction matches ever, judging from the player count I see on a daily basis (next to none).

well, I've only been returning to MAG for 2 days, maybe I just haven't found it.

legbone

it seems to go in cycles for me. i usually sign up for everything but suppression in the multiqueue. sometimes it seems i get nothing but sabotage and escalation. then for a while it will be nothing but interdiction and acquisition. every once in a while i will get thrown into a dom match but it is by far the least common.

jayb

I have around 80 hours of playtime. noticed anything wrong with these stats?

commandos killed: 14
direct actions killed: 728
rapid assaults killed: 646
snipers killed: 143

Where are all the commandos!? I need more commandos to kill! :(

On another note, I'd like to see Zipper take away the 50% acquisition bonus and give it to Domination. The domination player count has been pretty low when I play late at night (US CT).

jayb said:
I have around 80 hours of playtime. noticed anything wrong with these stats?

commandos killed: 14
direct actions killed: 728
rapid assaults killed: 646
snipers killed: 143

Where are all the commandos!? I need more commandos to kill!

how do you change your role? I was direct actions, I saw someone as support or something, how do I change to that?

also, wouldn't it be nice if the map show which one of your squad member is the leader? mark it as different color or something. at the start of the match all my squad member just run off to different direction and I don't know who's my leader when I want to follow him.

jayb

Callibretto said:
how do you change your role? I was direct actions, I saw someone as support or something, how do I change to that?

also, wouldn't it be nice if the map show which one of your squad member is the leader? mark it as different color or something. at the start of the match all my squad member just run off to different direction and I don't know who's my leader when I want to follow him.

It's auto-determined depending on which skills you've chosen to unlock.

CozMick

Banned
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/

PS Blog said:
The second treat is something I know a lot of you have been waiting for. From today, you will be able to get the Escalation and Interdiction expansion packs for MAG at a 50% discount. MAGnificent.

Good news for those that have yet to purchase, unlike me who bought the fuckers less than a week ago, fml!

I saw that MAG sells for 15 euros on PSN + 12 for the 2 expansions and I was kind of tempted.

Sorry for making the eternal and annoying question, but how does the community hold up for the game? Is it still possible to find a 256 player game occasionally?

Lord Griegous said:
I saw that MAG sells for 15 euros on PSN + 12 for the 2 expansions and I was kind of tempted.

Sorry for making the eternal and annoying question, but how does the community hold up for the game? Is it still possible to find a 256 player game occasionally?
The numbers are low, but they seem to be holding steady, and getting into a match is usually pretty quick; however with SOCOM 4 coming next month they might take a hit.

Saw that the MAG price has been reduced significantly; how strong is the community? Especially in Europe?

Very tempted as I want another game for my move.

OK, thanks for the reply. I guess I may pick it up today after work if I am in the mood :)

Any suggestions on which faction to pick? Is there any reason to prefer one over the other or should I go with what I find more aesthetically pleasing?

Heavy's Sandvich said:
Saw that the MAG price has been reduced significantly; how strong is the community? Especially in Europe?

Very tempted as I want another game for my move.

Its pretty good mate, never wait long to get in a game and there nearly always full or close to.

snap0212

I've just bought the game (15€ is a great deal!). It's still downloading, though. Is it better to play with people you know (people who will tell you what to do) or will the game help me out? It's not like I'm bad at games at all, but I really don't want to run around and ruin the experience for the people I'm playing with...

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
snap0212 said:
I've just bought the game (15€ is a great deal!). It's still downloading, though. Is it better to play with people you know (people who will tell you what to do) or will the game help me out? It's not like I'm bad at games at all, but I really don't want to run around and ruin the experience for the people I'm playing with...

Don't worry about it. Just jump in and you'll learn the ropes quite quickly. I've only had the game for just over half a month and I'm already Lv. 42. I don't even play FPS'es (this is honestly the first one I've really gotten into) and already I've been the top guy on my squad several times.

The main thing to remember is to NEVER run and gun. MAG requires far more strategic play than a lot of other FPS games.

I still play occasionally if any of you new guys want someone to play with. I'm on SVER so you'd have to make a character on that faction to play with me.

PSN: TelemachusD

Any suggestions on which faction to pick?
The faction choices really only affect your weapon selection now, since all maps have been made faction neutral. It also affects who you can play with, of course.

Is it better to play with people you know
It doesn't have to be people you know, but the game is infinitely more enjoyable with an organized squad, and early on things can be really confusing since the in game tutorial is pretty useless.

The main thing to remember is to NEVER run
Fixed. Unless you have a sensor jammer, sprinting anywhere near enemy lines is a bad idea.

jayb

TelemachusD said:
I still play occasionally if any of you new guys want someone to play with. I'm on SVER so you'd have to make a character on that faction to play with me.

PSN: TelemachusD

The faction choices really only affect your weapon selection now, since all maps have been made faction neutral. It also affects who you can play with, of course.

Even though the maps are faction neutral now, SVER still seems to win more times than not. I still consider SVER to be somewhat of an easy mode.

snap0212

Thanks for the replies. Will probably post again and ask more questions once the download is finished. :p

littleornothin said:
It says on the blog that it's a Trial and unlock. But I get a "add funds to wallet" if trying to download it..
Are you a PS+ member? The Trial is exclusive to them, the full game is not (iirc).

So, euro-guys picking up the game today (as I will most probably be doing in a couple of hours), what faction are you going for? Let's see if we can make a noob-squad, no?

psn is: LordGriegous

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I got the game and went with Raven. Purely for aesthetic reasons. Now I'm checking how I should spec my character.

I went for Medic first, because in the beginning that might be the most useful for the team overall if I can revive the people that are better than me.

bandresen said:
I got the game and went with Raven. Purely for aesthetic reasons. Now I'm checking how I should spec my character.

I went for Medic first, because in the beginning that might be the most useful for the team overall if I can revive the people that are better than me.

Medic is the best choice for newcomers, as you can farm XP very quickly. Invest some points into medic gun, then buy another main weapon (a 2nd level AR or LMG or whatever you're playing with) and then continue investing into Medic until you max it out.

jayb

has anyone here got the Platinum for this? I'm ~97 hours in and it looks like I've got a long way to go. I'm a terrible aim, so getting 5 of each Combat assault/machine gun/fragger/side arm ribbons might be tough for me ... as well as the Streaker medal. :/

patsu

bandresen said:

What game mode do you play ?

jayb said:
has anyone here got the Platinum for this? I'm ~97 hours in and it looks like I've got a long way to go. I'm a terrible aim, so getting 5 of each Combat assault/machine gun/fragger/side arm ribbons might be tough for me ... as well as the Streaker medal. :/

Actually, the Platinum difficulty was reduced in one of the patches. The main issues is getting all of the medals. Platinum is extremely time consuming, but it really isn't hard.

benny_a

patsu said:
What game mode do you play ?
I'm using MultiQueue to go with whatever comes up first.

Seems like it's either Suppression or Sabotage. Sabotage comes up more frequently than Suppression though.

Lagspike_exe said:
Medic is the best choice for newcomers, as you can farm XP very quickly. Invest some points into medic gun, then buy another main weapon (a 2nd level AR or LMG or whatever you're playing with) and then continue investing into Medic until you max it out.
Yeah right now it seems like the credits to unlock guns don't come in as fast as I want. ;-)

patsu

I see. Suppression is TDM right ? Once you get used to Sabotage, you should try Acquisition. Domination is interesting too, but may be overly confusing for new comers. Acquisition is about half way between Sabotage and Domination in scale.

patsu

bandresen said:
Yeah right now it seems like the credits to unlock guns don't come in as fast as I want. ;-)

Yeah… I think you should try to hit level 15 asap. I believe you should have enough points to unlock improved armor. After that, you're more equiped to roam and take objectives.

In MultiQueue, I usually just enable Acquisition and Domination. ^_^
They are pure madness. These days, the clans have worked out their attack strategies, so following them to watch things unfold can be interesting.

benny_a

patsu said:
Yeah… I think you should try to hit level 15 asap. I believe you should have enough points to unlock improved armor. After that, you're more equiped to roam and take objectives.
I don't necessarily want to lone-wolf.

Basically right now I'm trying to stick to the Squad Leader and the bulk, stay a bit back to heal people and provide cover fire.

I'm having a blast now after I've unlocked the MediKit.

The first 1.5 hours in the game before that were not that fun, but now that I'm more of an asset to the team it's very fun!

I want the next AR, but that thing means I need to hit lvl 24 and have the credits. So that's still ways off.

patsu

bandresen said:
I don't necessarily want to lone-wolf.

Yeah well, you may start out with a team but they may all die in a "mission" !

If you have the medic gun, then you need to survive to revive at least one other dude. In MAG, the medic gun is a tide turner.

benny_a

Is there a way to mute the OIC or do I need to leave the match?
Or is there any way to mute anybody? All I've found is block, and I don't know if that also mutes.

I've had one that was spouting 10 minutes of profanity and homophobic slurs all on the OIC channel.

First sour experience after the initial hump when you're useless to the team because of no medic gun.

I finally got the game and went Raven as well. Played a couple of games and reached level 4. Loving the feel of the game although I need to seriously up the turning speed with the Move. Still calibrating...

bandresen, I have already sent you a friend request. Hope we meet in-game sometime.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Finally going to fire this up (after downloading what I assume is going to be a giant patch). Which faction is most of GAF on these days?

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
bandresen said:
Is there a way to mute the OIC or do I need to leave the match?
Or is there any way to mute anybody? All I've found is block, and I don't know if that also mutes.

I've had one that was spouting 10 minutes of profanity and homophobic slurs all on the OIC channel.

First sour experience after the initial hump when you're useless to the team because of no medic gun.
You should spend your money on stuff like reflex sight, 4x sight and foregrip to put on your standard rifle and standard machine guns, standard assault rifle and machine gun control a lot better with those on. I don't really like Raven's second AR, still its better than starting rifle so you should probably go for it for the time being. ATAC is cool but Gotha Elite is the beast!

Props to Zipper. After getting burned out with KZ3, I hopped back into this, got the two DLCs and patches, and I'm feeling the MAG love again! Multi-queue + happy hour is wonderful. I'm rolling SVER and VALOR if anyone wants to play, I'm usually on at odd hours PST.

psn: blazing_lazers

snap0212

Download finished! I'm still not sure what class I should go with. Having only one slot available makes the decision really hard. What does most of GAF play as? Sver seems just as good as everything else, but I'd like to be able to play with some of the people from GAF...

Audioboxer

Which of the 3 factions would you guys say starts out more noob friendly? MAG always seems rather overwhelming to me and I shelved it after about 5 levels of Valor.

Really want to get back into it.

benny_a

Which of the 3 factions would you guys say starts out more noob friendly?
Apparently the only difference nowadays are the players and the weapons.

I personally like the reflex on the guns I've picked up from SVER. But as I said above, I picked Raven for aesthetic reasons.

snap0212

I picked Raven as well! I'm not sure if there's still a GAF clan or if people are still active, but if you want to play, just send me a message! :)

Audioboxer

Does MAG basically start out as being a death simulator for everyone? Haha.

In better news a good round when you're a noob keeps you going back :) I'm level 5.

MAGScreenshot.png

snap0212

I'm now level 5 and, to be honest, I'm not really having that much fun. I'm playing RAVEN and I'm not sure if I'm doing anything wrong or if higher level weapons are just that much better than the weapons I currently have.

I'm also not sure what my objective is (except when playing TDM). It's a bit overwhelming, to be honest. Guess I'll have to play a bit more...

Top Bottom