• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG 2.0 |OT| of Ultimate Relaunch Party with Playstation MOVE!

Man

How many sales did they loose by not having this available as a DL title since launch?
I think plenty of people would have succumbed to a direct impulse DL download during it's freshman year.
I bought it after Move support was confirmed but I would have purchased it in January if it was DL (like promised pre release).

onken

Yep, if they had it on the store at the time Move launched I probably would have picked it up. As it is, I think I'll just wait for KZ3 for my FPS fix.

Click

Banned
They should of just automatically leveled "demo players" to 40 and capped their playtime at about 25-30 hours. Level 8 is garbage. You don't truly get to see what MAG is all about until at least level 30.

patsu

Level 15-20 is a good start. Since I think you have sufficient points to get extra health.
Level 40 is fine too, but they may feel cheated to start from level 1 after they bought the game.

Or they should just patch the game to assign new players 15 free points to begin with.

Had MAG for a month when it was first released but sold it. Just gave the trial a go.

I know people love it in here but it's the same messy, loose and low budget feeling experience it was before I left. The Move control scheme is amazing (although it felt like a disadvantage at first) but I'm not finding any fun here. I don't know what I'm doing wrong or missing. I want to love MAG, I swear!

Apath

I am really enjoying MAG. I am absolutely awful, but I have my moments. The one thing I cannot understand though is the Move scheme. After playing for about an hour yesterday I decided to try out my brother's Move with the game. To put it bluntly, it's terrible. It's no different from controlling FPS games on the Wii, and I hated it then too. Extremely clunky and only useful when you have enemies around the center of your screen. If they're off to the side, forget trying to turn your perspective while aiming.

Does everyone experience this at first? It's not like I am a complete motion control virgin; I've played COD3 and Red Steel on the Wii. I just cannot see this being all that viable, but lo and behold, most people here seem to prefer it.

Massa

Gotta love MAG, where people try to kick you out of a game just because you're a level 3 character and not on a clan. :lol

Man

Rebought the game via PS Store and I can confirm the download is version 2.10 from the outset (I downloaded it on another system where Mag has never been installed).

Man

SolidusDave said:

Screenshot time! (click for original image)

Mulitqueue works really well, if you're not looking for a specific mode you get connected much faster.
Does someone know what the numbers are representing?
Wow, these looks amazing on my MB Air 13" (would look even more amazing on my mobile I bet lulz). Not really representative but shows how fine it could look on a decent PC.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So I DL'd this... have seriously considered buying for the last few months. Anyway, after doing the tutorial I tried to get into a match. 30 mins passed... I guess it was trying to find a game? I don't know. Turned it off and went to bed. Next time I played it was the same thing... just sat there at some menu screen. It was at least 15 mins. I was staring at the screen like in complete shock/disbelief. Turned it off. Never actually got to play a match. I don't have time for bullshit like that.

Deleted.

Btw... these days lack of control customization is unacceptable in shooters. Seriously... I can't put crouch on R3? Fuck off devs.

Madman

recklessmind said:
So I DL'd this... have seriously considered buying for the last few months. Anyway, after doing the tutorial I tried to get into a match. 30 mins passed... I guess it was trying to find a game? I don't know. Turned it off and went to bed. Next time I played it was the same thing... just sat there at some menu screen. It was at least 15 mins. I was staring at the screen like in complete shock/disbelief. Turned it off. Never actually got to play a match. I don't have time for bullshit like that.

Deleted.

Btw... these days lack of control customization is unacceptable in shooters. Seriously... I can't put crouch on R3? Fuck off devs.
I haven't played in about a month, but unless you're playing at peak hours it will almost always be awhile if you try to play Domination(256 players) or Acquisition(128 players). Sabotage(64 players) is usually a relatively short wait. Or play Suppression, which is team death match and only 32 players. And if you ever bother to re-download it, make sure you level up your medical supplies ASAP.

Man said:
Wow, these looks amazing on my MB Air 13" (would look even more amazing on my mobile I bet lulz). Not really representative but shows how fine it could look on a decent PC.

huh? What do you mean with not representative? XMB screenshots are basically raw framebuffer shots. ^^

recklessmind said:

Deleted.

You could try the multiqueue function if you're not fussy and short on XP :D

Rad-

SolidusDave said:
huh? What do you mean with not representative? XMB screenshots are basically raw framebuffer shots. ^^

I think he means that the pics look better when seen smaller (makes it look more high res).

Chris R

Trying out the PSN+ trial. Had a good first match, 5 kills to 4 deaths, but then I get kicked in my second match for no reason it seems :| Guess I should just stick to the objective stuff because the number of douchebags in the TDM was off the charts :lol

jayb

Has anyone gotten the Duteous Maximus trophy AFTER the last patch that added multiqueue?

The requirement used to be to Be on the winning faction for 10 Directive matches. Now it's Be on the winning faction for 10 multiqueue matches.

Anyway, I'm fairly new to MAG (I just hit lvl 60 last night) and I didn't start playing that mode until they changed it to multiqueue. But I'm positive I've won 10 multiqueue matches by now, and the trophy never unlocked for me. I think it's glitched now.

EDIT:
sounds like this is a real problem: http://forums.mag.com/t5/Issues-and...s-unachievable-after-2-10-PLEASE/td-p/1014731

Sblargh

Banned
Fuck, now I have to buy this game. :(

Being a sniper is hard, having to hit people 3 times before they fall.
Sometimes they are nice and standing and you can just pfft pfft pfft, but sometimes they are running and jumping, you take your aim, score a direct hit and it is as if nothing happened.

Varth

Noisepurge said:
MAG is apparently also free for EU PS+ users but with a level cap of 8.

Can someone confirm this is still true? I'm told they took it off. Where do you dl it, if it's still on?

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Acquisition is still my favourite mode. The new mode Escalation is very confusing though, took a while to understand what I was supposed to do. Basically, all three factions try and get A, B, C after that D open up. This is where it gets kinda confusing.. sometimes you or the other faction capture D and hold it until the bar fills up but sometimes it just goes back to A, B and C. Probably has to do with which faction captures more letters before getting to D.

Varth

Varth said:
Can someone confirm this is still true? I'm told they took it off. Where do you dl it, if it's still on?

Just checked, thought I'd let YUROgaf know: it's in approval, coming probably with next MAG patch.

panda21

is this still healthy? i loved the beta but never actually bought it by the time it came out because i played it way too much...

i'd like to try it again but it sounds like theres no one playing it any more if it takes more than half an hour to get into a game? or is that not normal and something else was up for that guy? plus i dont want to deal with the clan/rank kicking nonsense and it would nice to actually be able to play the big game types (acquisition was always good)

Just jumped on this again last night, had forgotten how good it can be, is there an active Raven GAF still or have they flown the nest? Would really like to get some games with a nice chatty squad for once, co-ordination people! Oh and is it just me or is it now impossible to get into a domination game thanks to multiqueue?

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
panda21 said:
is this still healthy? i loved the beta but never actually bought it by the time it came out because i played it way too much...

i'd like to try it again but it sounds like theres no one playing it any more if it takes more than half an hour to get into a game? or is that not normal and something else was up for that guy? plus i dont want to deal with the clan/rank kicking nonsense and it would nice to actually be able to play the big game types (acquisition was always good)
Domination is the only one that's not as popular anymore, at least I don't get in a Dom match when I multi-queue. You can get in a match within a few seconds or a few minutes at worse. Acquisition is still the most played game mode so you don't have anything to worry about, plenty of people still paying.

I used to dislike Suppression but I've grown to love it since I do much better in it K/D ratio wise. Always have 2 or 3:1 K:D ratio in it. Probably because during objective based games I'm more concerned with running around repairing/sneaking past enemy lines then killing. :p

Oozer3993

This weekend, in honor of MAG's 1st birthday, Zipper has bumped up the bonus for Happy Hour from 100% to 256% and has made every mode faction neutral. Now Raven and Valor can experience the joy of defending on SVER's maps.

panda21 said:

I've been playing a bunch lately and it's never taken me more than a minute or two to get into a match. The changes implemented in the 2.0 patch are great too. I love the completely overhauled skill trees and the new Supply Depot.

Got the game a few days ago and haven't played anything else since. It's so much better than I expected (although I wasn't expecting a lot). Now I just need to get a headset.

Only complaints that I have are knife and freezing problems. Knife is crazy in this game. I think they buffed it in the patch so now it kills you with one hit from 5 meters away. It just doesn't fit with the game's style in my opinion.

It is just in Domination, but it happens almost every time I play it. At some point the game just freezes and I have to reboot the PS3. It has happened twice when I pressed start at the middle of the match. Also it happened twice when I was shooting at somebody. I hope they fix it.

Other than that, it's a great game. Reviewers should review this one again since it has changed so much after the updates. Also the original reviews were written too hastily.

anyone got good settings for the move with MAG? Im having more touble with it then i did adjusting to killzone 3, and how long did it take some of you guys to get use to the move?

X-Frame

Just curious but how are the queues in this game now? I recall several months ago trying to queue and it didn't seem bad but the online numbers were basically only enough to fill 1 Domination game.

X-Frame said:
Just curious but how are the queues in this game now? I recall several months ago trying to queue and it didn't seem bad but the online numbers were basically only enough to fill 1 Domination game.
I actually played some last night for the first time in probably 6 months, and was pretty surprised at how well the player base has hung on. There were roughly 3000 people on and using multiqueue we never had to wait more than a minute for a match.

jayb

tl;dr:
-Faction neutrality for all maps
-Multiple freezing and crash fixes
-CP refinements and adjustments
-Character slot subscription fixes for downloadable version of MAG
-fix for “Duteous Maximus” trophy glitch
-Etc .

http://blog.mag.com/blog/2011/02/patch-alert-mag-v2-11/

It’s been a few of months since our last MAG update, but it has certainly been time well spent! Since our previous patch released in December, we’ve made a number of helpful improvements that you can enjoy for yourselves starting February 23.

The most obvious change in MAG v2.11, and arguably the biggest, is a reaction to the overwhelmingly positive response by our community to the promotion we ran during MAG’s birthday week. In case you missed it, we made our Domination and Acquisition modes “faction neutral” so that players could defend and attack all maps related to those game-types regardless of their PMC affiliation. Our fans enjoyed it so much that we decided to make the modification permanent and so we have!

Naturally, there’s more to our patch then just faction-neutrality. We’ve also given our in-game economy a boost with smarter incentives and a better relationship with our XP system. Add to that a number of Escalation, performance and interface enhancements and you’ve got quite the pleasant update.

For our complete list of changes in MAG v2.11, check out the notes highlighted below. As always, the patch will be available tomorrow morning during our regularly-scheduled maintenance period, which begins at 1am Pacific Time. Log into MAG directly for additional information, including maintenance times specific to your region. And now, the specifics:

Patch v2.11
February 23, 2011 | 40MB (TPPS), 39MB (DLS)

Gameplay (General)

Permanently added faction-neutrality to “Domination” and “Acquisition” game modes
Improved ratio of launched game-types when using Multiqueue
Fixed “Escalation” game-type exploit that allowed unintended amounts of additional game points to be earned under certain conditions
The original three training missions unique to Raven, SVER and Valor have been reinstated (Blu-ray version only)
Lessened the likelihood of players moving their aim while performing the “knifing” action with the PlayStation Move Motion Controller

Gameplay (Economy)

Earned CP now takes “Bonus” XP into account as part of its equation
Adjusted CP/ XP conversation rate so that lower-level players have the highest yield of CP-earned to XP-gained, with a lessening effect as they gain levels
CP is now refunded when a player has gear they are no longer entitled to removed from their loadout

Weapons

Repaired “stuck grenade” bug that would sometimes prevent players from throwing grenades
Slightly increased grenade-throwing speed following weapon-switch (all grenade types)

Interface

Repaired icon display issue in “Escalation” game-type that would occasionally misrepresent which team was interacting with an objective
Post-game Squad scoreboard no longer includes bonus XP in its display or rankings
All three factions are now properly displayed for the “Escalation” game-type when using the Multiqueue

Audio/ Visual

Grenade-throwing animations are now properly blended and no longer skip
Various camera clipping issues have been addressed

Miscellaneous

Subscription character slots B and C are now fully compatible with the downloadable version of MAG
Eliminated glitch that prevented players from earning the “Duteous Maximus” trophy after the 2.10 update
Fixed bug that prevented some players from being vote-kicked out of games
Faction-specific videos have been restored (Blu-ray version only)
Numerous crash fixes and performance improvements
Multiple localization updates

fernoca

Nice patch and timing, in the sense that I just got the Starter Kit for $7.50 (Plus discount). But at the same time, bad timing related to I'm just starting Killzone 3. But nice anyway.

"Adjusted CP/ XP conversation rate so that lower-level players have the highest yield of CP-earned to XP-gained, with a lessening effect as they gain levels"

Ohhhhh, nice.

CozMick

Banned
Is there still a dedicated MAG crowd like Socom active in this game?

Thinking about buying the downloadable version but i'm worried about the KZ3 release,

Oh and, what's with Zipper bumping up the prices for Socom and MAG from £19.99 to £24.99?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Just picked this up today. Is there a GAF clan still active (I was thinking of joining Raven anyway, so if the GAF clan is on Raven like I'm reading, and still semi-active, that'd be awesome)?

CozMick

Banned
Multi-Queue is an absolute godsend for this game.

At launch I would be pushed to give this game a 7.9 (good) but now after a selection of updates it easily ranks up there with the best shooters available.

Fantastic game.

newjeruse

My favorite shooter of the generation. I can't wait until MAG 2 as a launch game for PS4. It's the only only IP of the generation which really needs new hardware for a sequel.

is the latest game mode dlc worth it? I don't think people play interdiction anymore.

Sony really need to change their dlc strategy for this game. they already have character visual customization like helmet and masks etc. they could try making all game mode and maps free, but charge micro transaction dlc with outfit, skins, or weapons etc.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I wonder if the fact that nobody plays Interdiction anymore is why it's only $4.99 on the store while Escalation is still $9.99.

jayb

CozMick said:
Multi-Queue is an absolute godsend for this game.

At launch I would be pushed to give this game a 7.9 (good) but now after a selection of updates it easily ranks up there with the best shooters available.

Fantastic game.

Multi-Queue is great, but when I select every game mode, I almost always get stuck in Suppression. Then if I select all but Suppression, I more likely to get put in Sabotage or Acquisition...rarely Domination. I just seems like it puts me in whichever mode fills up the quickest with players, which ends up being the modes that require less players.

Maybe it's just me, it seems like multi-queue needs to do a better job at randomizing which game modes it puts players into. When I select multi-queue with all game modes, I want to play a good mix of modes, not three Suppression matches in a row. :/

Anyway, I was LTTP to MAG and love it. I just Vetted from SVER to Raven for the first time and am still having a blast.

CozMick

Banned
I'm actually considering both the dlc just to increase my bonus XP percentage. :p

120% bonus will have huuuuuuuuuuuge payouts at the end of the round.

Top Bottom