• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG 2.0 |OT| of Ultimate Relaunch Party with Playstation MOVE!

Click

Banned
JardeL said:
Asked him if he's using PS MOVE, he said no. Checked his stats and bam! ; 624 hours of playtime, Veteran 4. :lol Man that's badass.

What game mode was that? If it was Acqui. or Dom., it's not that impressive, especially if he had a leadership position. Lots of people line camp to get 100+ kills in Dom. You simply camp the opposition's redline and never worry about your teammates or the objectives.

If that was Sabo., then yeah, that is badass... even though he got a Purple Heart with 34 deaths. :lol

JardeL

That was domination. He was not the squad or Platoon leader. He kept me seeing assault rifle kills on the left side all the time. :lol For me that's pretty impressive, I've not reached even 40 kills still. :lol

Click

Banned
Join the new RavenGAF!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=409449

JardeL said:
That was domination. He was not the squad or Platoon leader. He kept me seeing assault rifle kills on the left side all the time. :lol For me that's pretty impressive, I've not reached even 40 kills still. :lol

Yeah, not that impressive, especially because he got a Purple Heart.
He basically rushed the towers and/or redline all game and kept killing and dying.

bigjimmystyle said:
Anyone got tips on calibrating the move for this game? Everytime I calibrate after a while it seems off center

This is why I set the number of posts/page to 100.

->
Ok here are the control settings I'm using with the Move.

Player rotation - 70
Player pitch - 30
Gesture sensitivity - 100 (you need to thrust the Move forward to perform knife attack - don't worry this wont cause unintentional knifing)
Scope sensitivity - 100
Normal play - 60 / 40 / 80
Fixed iron sights - OFF (If you have this to On you are doing it wrong)
Iron sights - 0 / 10 / 40

Tip: when shooting, don't bother with doing so with short bursts. There is no recoil, so if you can keep the Move steady (which is fairly easy since the deadzone is quite large) just hold the trigger pulled till the target goes down. :)

I've tried but I don't think I will ever be as good with the Move as I am with the analog sticks.

Maybe aiming is slightly better in some situations when you get used to it. But movement... it gets seriously compromised compared to a my dual stick skills. And I am not sure I can ever make up that gap with practice.

KiKaL

bigjimmystyle said:
Anyone got tips on calibrating the move for this game? Everytime I calibrate after a while it seems off center

Something I noticed yesterday is that if I point the move say straight up or move it in weird ways Its very easy to break the calibration. I was playing around on the black screen that shows up after you calibrate it with the cross hair and if I would move the controller so it was pointing at the ceiling it would break it every time almost.

This could be though because I sit about 4-5 feet away from the PSEye.

Bradach

bigjimmystyle said:
i found that if i moved after calibrating it was a bit off. like if i got up off the sofa for a bit and came back it would be a bit off (as i wouldn't be sitting in the exact same position) luckily they've made it quite easy to do a quick re-calibration in-game so it doesn't take long to fix.

W1SSY

I was having a lot of fun playing today. I got the Grim Reaper ribbon or close to it five games in a row. That all took place after adding the silencer to my assault rifle.

Really enjoying this compared to when the game launched. I only wish I could figure out what is going on with my happy hour bonus. Some days I get it and others I do not. I did not get it to show up and start working today until about an hour or so of playing.

Click

Banned
W1SSY said:
I was having a lot of fun playing today. I got the Grim Reaper ribbon or close to it five games in a row. That all took place after adding the silencer to my assault rifle.

Really enjoying this compared to when the game launched. I only wish I could figure out what is going on with my happy hour bonus. Some days I get it and others I do not. I did not get it to show up and start working today until about an hour or so of playing.

Happy Hour resets every 24 hours starting from the moment it expires.

Let's say your HH ran out at 4 PM. It will be available again the next day at 4 PM. If you log on at 3 PM, it won't be available for another hour. If you log on 2 days later, it will be available whenever you log on, regardless of the time, because the 24 hours has already gone by and HH already reset.

Eccocid

This game is so fun!
As i said many times i am not a big fan of FPS games, tho i enjoy them a lot when i play them slowly and plan my moves, try to flank other players etc which doesnt happen in small maps of CoD games.

Today i was playing sabotage on one map(with jungle and some ruins and a pyramid) there was this sniper who killed me 3 times when i was trying to use the road at the west of map(i am Raven). So i take a big hike, and approached the small hill filled with trees where the sniper hides. But couldnt find him it was a very dense area with vegetation.But then he started to shoot to osmewhere else which marked his position on my minimap. He was right in front of me! like one meter away. I walk slowly and use the scoop on my sniper rifle, targeted his head and wait for few secs and pulled the trigger! lol it was awesome! What makes it more fun is like rest of the team is making a huge battle over the sattelite dish while i am busy with my personal revenge without any interruption lol.

Click

Banned
Eccocid said:
This game is so fun!
As i said many times i am not a big fan of FPS games, tho i enjoy them a lot when i play them slowly and plan my moves, try to flank other players etc which doesnt happen in small maps of CoD games.

Yeah, MAG can be extremely fun, especially once you're past level 40ish and playing with a good clan. Too bad most of GAF seems to have given up on this game.

Unicorn

Click said:
Yeah, MAG can be extremely fun, especially once you're past level 40ish and playing with a good clan. Too bad most of GAF seems to have given up on this game.
Beta turned me off. With 2.0 is the game a lot better. Is Move enough to warrant a purchase of either this game or Move? Was interested in this game, but the beta pushed it off my radar.

Click

Banned
Unicorn said:
Beta turned me off. With 2.0 is the game a lot better. Is Move enough to warrant a purchase of either this game or Move? Was interested in this game, but the beta pushed it off my radar.

You're asking for opinions on matters you should decide for yourself.

MAG is a relatively cheap game now so you should give it a try. I just hope you have a good amount of patience and don't treat this game like other FPSs out there. The first 30 - 40 levels can be frustrating as hell and not too fun to play because you'll be owned by the veteran players and clans. But if you have enough patience and can constantly improve yourself, MAG is unlike any other FPS experience.

patsu

Is the new GAF clan the same as the old one ?

I am listed as an officer of the old Raven clan but all the admin buttons are dimmed for me.

Click

Banned
jayb said:
are there any sites that can generate MAG stat cards?

There's no site that generates the in-game playercards that show all of the ribbons, medals, time played, and clan players belong to. You need to log onto MAG in order to search for playercards.

However, this is the site everyone uses to check out player stats: http://www.magleaderboards.com/

patsu said:
Is the new GAF clan the same as the old one ?

I am listed as an officer of the old Raven clan but all the admin buttons are dimmed for me.

It's not the same. It's brand new with a lot of new players. But a lot of us aren't too active, so in that sense, it's kind of like the old RavenGAF. >.>

I'm not sure why you can't invite people into the old RavenGAF. Weird stuff.

Eccocid

Unicorn said:

I wasnt in beta so i didnt experience the bugs and other problems. I got the game few days ago and havent seen any annoyance so far. It plays so smooth and i love the controls a lot.

panda21

can you buy this on the PSN? i played the beta so much (literally all of the time slots it was open, i was playing it) that i was bored of it by the time it came out :lol but i'd kind of like to go back in

Eccocid

panda21 said:
can you buy this on the PSN? i played the beta so much (literally all of the time slots it was open, i was playing it) that i was bored of it by the time it came out :lol but i'd kind of like to go back in

I dont think so. I checked EU store but didnt see it. It would be cool tho having this as downloadable title too like Warhawk.

Click

Banned
MAG freezing is hopefully finally fixed:

http://blog.mag.com/blog/2010/10/patch-alert-mag-v2-02/

Took them a month to figure this shit out.

Any momentum they've generated with 2.0's launch, PS Move support, and Greatest Hits price drop has been completely killed by the freezing and extremely slow patchwork. Very disappointed.

My PS3 YLoD partially because of MAG constantly freezing my PS3 the past month.
It shut off by itself 3 times when it NEVER did that in ANY game I've ever played prior to MAG 2.0. *sigh*

Eccocid

Click said:
MAG freezing is hopefully finally fixed:

http://blog.mag.com/blog/2010/10/patch-alert-mag-v2-02/

Took them a month to figure this shit out.

Any momentum they've generated with 2.0's launch, PS Move support, and Greatest Hits price drop has been completely killed by the freezing and extremely slow patchwork. Very disappointed.

My PS3 YLoD partially because of MAG constantly freezing my PS3 the past month.
It shut off by itself 3 times when it NEVER did that in ANY game I've ever played prior to MAG 2.0. *sigh*

Whaaaat? Does it kill ps3?
I havent had any freezing so far. Sometimes i lose connection to server. Tho i havent played 256 player match yet (still low level lol).

Judging by the game's userbase, do you guys think we'll get more substantial game updates in the future? Has anyone from Zipper commented on this?

Click

Banned
Eccocid said:
Whaaaat? Does it kill ps3?
I havent had any freezing so far. Sometimes i lose connection to server. Tho i havent played 256 player match yet (still low level lol).

MAG freezing contributed to my PS3 dying, but I doubt it was the main reason why it actually died. I've played the shit out of this PS3 for 4+ years. It was a launch day 60GB PS3 so it was bound to eventually YLoD. However, like I said, prior to this month and prior to MAG 2.0 patch, my PS3 NEVER shut off by itself (which is the prelude to YLoD) and it did that 3 different times.

Lagspike_exe said:
Judging by the game's userbase, do you guys think we'll get more substantial game updates in the future? Has anyone from Zipper commented on this?

Not sure what you mean by updates but the Escalation DLC is coming out very soon and Zipper will most likely need to patch that thing up a few times. They have been consistently patching MAG for the past 10+ months, so I think they'll keep patching this game if there's any glaring issues with it.

In one of the podcasts, they said that MAG's future support is completely dependent upon how well Escalation sells. If it sells well, they'll keep releasing new maps, weapons, gear, etc. It doesn't do that well, then Escalation will most likely be the final DLC for MAG and their support for this game will dwindle down, especially because they need to really focus on SOCOM 4 now (they didn't say this in the podcast, it's just my opinion).

The playerbase has significantly diminished recently because of the freezing issue, as well as games like MoH and Fallout: New Vegas coming out. Lots of MAG players started playing those games but some are coming back because MoH sucks and the freezing issue is (hopefully) completely fixed.

Click said:
MAG freezing contributed to my PS3 dying, but I doubt it was the main reason why it actually died. I've played the shit out of this PS3 for 4+ years. It was a launch day 60GB PS3 so it was bound to eventually YLoD. However, like I said, prior to this month and prior to MAG 2.0 patch, my PS3 NEVER shut off by itself (which is the prelude to YLoD) and it did that 3 different times.

Isn't it more the other way around? You get the freezes in the game because of the YLoD? Did do you play other games during that time? I don't think a game can promote the YLoD (or the RRoD) more than any other "normal" retail game. It's said to be due to the constant cooling&heating of the lead free solder over the years.
I experienced one freeze (+ one d/c) in about 6 hours gameplay or so after the latest patch.

@patch 2.02:

Fixed problem that prevented PlayStation Move users from controlling their character while parachuting

and I thought it was because I had not invested in the parachute perks :lol I was an easy target though up/down worked so by coming down faster I evaded death most of the time.

Click

Banned
Escalation DLC ($10) finally has a release date: November 2.
Interdiction DLC lowered to $5.
"MAG Starter Kit" for $15...

http://blog.mag.com/blog/2010/10/mag-escalation-dlc-coming-november-2/

Zipper / SCE has the worst timing. Releasing this DLC 7 days before Black Ops drops is kind of retarded. Should have been released in September with MAG 2.0. The worst part is, they're not even giving people who already wasted $10 on Interdiction a discount on Escalation. *sigh*

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Just got a present from Zipper in the mail for my MAG 2.0 and SOCOM 4 videos :D

2mct9af.jpg

1256tkx.jpg

Thanks guys! :D

DoomGyver

Is it too late to get into mag? I'm wanting to pick up a move controller bundle but sports champions doesn't excite me at all. I was thinking of buying MAG and Heavy rain to go along with it. But then black ops comes out in just 9 days. Maybe I should just wait on the whole move thing until socom 4 comes out.

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
Just got the game when I got my move controller...TTP was correct when he said you would die, die, and die again. I seem to have the mouse twitch response and well to put is simple, I suck:lol

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Arkaerial said:
Just got the game when I got my move controller...TTP was correct when he said you would die, die, and die again. I seem to have the mouse twitch response and well to put is simple, I suck:lol

:lol

No worries you'll get better. Perhaps try to stay away from the clusterfucks initially.

On this note, I found out once you get used to it, muscle memory never fades away even if you don't play for long period of times. I jumped back into MAG to check the 2.02 after like 2 weeks and I was performing just great as I've been doing that daily.

elohel

MAG tells me to pull the trigger on the move controller, the controller lights up

but it won't continue and move on

what all do I have to set up to get Move to work with MAG

Das-J

Law of the West
elohel said:
MAG tells me to pull the trigger on the move controller, the controller lights up

but it won't continue and move on

what all do I have to set up to get Move to work with MAG

Have you calibrated the Move controller through the XMB?

legbone

did anyone else get a message on the psn offering the escalation pack for a discount because you bought interdiction? i did around noon today while i was at work. then there was a second one saying disregard the message. i tried to get escalation from the attachment on the first message and there was nothing there. wtf is going on? guess i don't get a discount. oh well.

edit: nevermind, i just read about the delay on the mag forums. they'll probably send out another discount message once the pack actually releases.

Das-J

Law of the West
Sooo... Escalation goes live today! There's a ton of info on the PS/MAG blogs, but here's a quick rundown of the gametype:

3 Factions - 96 Players - One Map
Escalation gameplay is set up in two phases: For phase one, all three teams battle to hold the map’s A, B and C objectives — but when any of the three PMCs gains control of two of the three objectives, phase two begins. In this second phase, the original three objectives are locked and a new fourth objective (D) opens up. Now, the PMC that forced the phase shift must defend objective D against both attacking groups as long as possible; if D is lost, then play reverts back to phase one again and the war continues on until we have a winner or time runs out.

Escalation Launch Trailer
Video Flythroughs of the 3 new maps
Detailed gametype description

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I've been playing MAG daily for the past 2 weeks and still have yet to see anyone on the GAF clan..ever.. Now I play at strange times since I'm on Tokyo time but even when I'm on during US peak hours it's dead. Ah well. Click getting banned (for like the 100th time?) never helps since this thread falls further and further down.

I picked up a Move because the Starter Pack with Beat Sketch is super cheap here in Japan. Didn't really plan on playing MAG with it since I've put in 160 hours on a Dual Shock..but what the hell I tried it out. Yeah, it's weird. Not bad, and actually way easier to control recoil. But how easily your hand can wander and your view get all messed up sucks, as does 160 hours of muscle memory. Also the swiping motion for the knife is just way too slow. Once I finish getting 60 on this last character I'll mess around with the Move until I hit 70 and then I'll probably hang up MAG for a bit. Coming back for 2.0 has been great.

As for Escalation, I didn't buy the other DLC and I won't buy this cause even if it's popular for a few days it's crazy how utterly dead Interdiction is. I barely ever see even one game going. I really wish they released this kinda stuff for free since the game shipped so bare bones anyway in terms of modes/maps. Charge for flavor items/weapons, but $10 for a new mode just splits the playerbase and there's always gonna be tons of Sabotage games open.

dorkimoe

i havent played since like the first month of launch. i loved the game alot, but got distracted by other games. going to get back into it next week, i used to be pretty decent too

legbone

man i hope this puppy is up by the time i get off work (if it isn't already, i am at work after all). hopefully with the 100% boost i can vet out of valor soon (i'm like level 63 or 64 at the moment). unfortunately without happy hour and other boosts to xp it would take me far too long. i am probably the worst lvl 63 player in the world.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Wait do you have to get to 70 to vet out now? That sucks..I figured they'd keep it 60. I hope I get my trophy for 60 =/

I didn't really play around with the Move settings other than turning off the locked ironsights. I'm sure if I calibrated it it'd be a fun time but right now I'm not in the mood to totally relearn the game when I'm a killing monster and just wanna grind out my last few levels.

jayb

So who here is actually using Move and doing well with it? Or did most people revert back to DS3 already?

worldrevolution said:
Wait do you have to get to 70 to vet out now? That sucks..I figured they'd keep it 60. I hope I get my trophy for 60 =/

I didn't really play around with the Move settings other than turning off the locked ironsights. I'm sure if I calibrated it it'd be a fun time but right now I'm not in the mood to totally relearn the game when I'm a killing monster and just wanna grind out my last few levels.

You get a trophy at 60, but you need to go to 70 to veteran.

Top Bottom