• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG 2.0 |OT| of Ultimate Relaunch Party with Playstation MOVE!

Victrix

*beard*
Good deal. I tried out Domination for the first time the other night and promptly froze.

Really enjoying the game though. Murdering people with a shotgun at 20 yards is an awesome change from other shooters that have magically disappearing bullets :lol

I'm still getting used to the distances with other weapons - you can spray from the hip effectively with an LMG at ranges where I would normally ironsight, so that threw me off for several sessions.

Crisis

Banned
TTP said:
Ok here are the control settings I'm using with the Move.

Player rotation - 70
Player pitch - 30
Gesture sensitivity - 100 (you need to thrust the Move forward to perform knife attack - don't worry this wont cause unintentional knifing)
Scope sensitivity - 100
Normal play - 60 / 40 / 80
Fixed iron sights - OFF (If you have this to On you are doing it wrong)
Iron sights - 0 / 10 / 40

Tip: when shooting, don't bother with doing so with short bursts. There is no recoil, so if you can keep the Move steady (which is fairly easy since the deadzone is quite large) just hold the trigger pulled till the target goes down. :)

TTP, I just bought the Navigation controller and figured that I would give MAG another shot with your settings. Holy shit. What a difference. This is how the game SHOULD have defaulted the Move controls. I wanted to say thanks yet again for being the best source about anything Move-related.

Click

Banned
Anyone that hasn't signed up to join RavenGAF and want to play with us, go here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=409449

If patsu doesn't send us invites by tomorrow, I guess I'll have to make a new GAF clan...

Pimpbaa said:
As in tonight? Because I just rebought the game to try out 2.0 and the game froze on my first match. So goddamn pissed.

Whenever the update is. Could be tonight, could be tomorrow. Who knows.

Don't play Domination mode. Sabotage and Acquisition also have a chance of freezing your PS3 right now, but your chances are MUCH higher if you play Domination.

Das-J

Law of the West
The patch went out at 2AM this morning - It should address most of the crashes, but please respond with your personal experience!

Patch v2.01
Available October 13, 2010 | 34MB (TPPS)

Voiceover plays when vehicles are extracted in Acquisition
Voiceover calls out sensor abilities when mortar battery is down
Various stability improvements

Click

Banned
So far, so good. Didn't experience a freeze yet and I've played for a few hours already and several Domination games. However, it seems like I've been dying more often to bullet lag now. I could be behind cover for 2 seconds and still get hit with a bullet.

dazed808

3 hours and no crash at all,so thumbs up from me:D

Click, you should be glad you're not from Europe - bullet lag is a part of every game for us :/

Click

Banned
dazed808 said:
3 hours and no crash at all,so thumbs up from me:D

Click, you should be glad you're not from Europe - bullet lag is a part of every game for us :/

It's always an issue in all FPS games, but 2.0 seemed to have reduced bullet lag deaths dramatically. But now with 2.01, it looks like bullet lag deaths are happening more often compared to 2.0. Zipper loves to fix 2 things and break something else in the process. >.>

I feel bad for Euro MAG players. You guys don't have the lag advantage Japanese players seem to get. Japanese players get a lag advantage somehow, Euro players get a lag disadvantage, and NA players are usually fine unless they play against the Japanese or if they're in a crowded area in Domination. Oh well, we have dedicated servers to play on and most of the time, lag isn't a major issue in MAG. At least we can play with people worldwide.

Click

Banned
The good news might not be so good after all.
A lot of people are saying they're still freezing on the official forums.

I personally didn't freeze yet and I've played 2 full, 30-minute Domination games this afternoon. I also played lots of Sabotage and Acquisition games today without freezing. Maybe the patch fixed the freezing for some people but it didn't fix it for everyone.

Huggers

I put in around 50 hours into MAG back along. Moved onto something else and didn't play it again. I did however randomly purchase Move so I might just have to give it another go. With the new upgrade system what happens to all my gear?

Click

Banned
The Hug Dog said:
With the new upgrade system what happens to all my gear?

Everything is reset, including gear and skill points. You need to purchase everything with in-game money that you earn with ribbons you get from games you play. If you're already level 60, you'll have a good amount of in-game cash to use. Just be careful when purchasing your weapons and gear. You can sell it back but at half the price you bought it for. Choose wisely.

Huggers

Click said:
Everything is reset, including gear and skill points. You need to purchase everything with in-game money that you earn with ribbons you get from games you play. If you're already level 60, you'll have a good amount of in-game cash to use. Just be careful when purchasing your weapons and gear. You can sell it back but at half the price you bought it for. Choose wisely.

Ah okay nice one. I think I'm going to get involved again. MAG was great fun. I found it far superior to a certain other shooter that sold rather well. We should get the clans going again

Click said:

Shit whats a good loadout then for a mid ranged player that likes to medic shit up.

JardeL

Click said:
The good news might not be so good after all.
A lot of people are saying they're still freezing on the official forums.
Yup, 3 times for me after the 2.01 patch. This time it freezes before joining the match, not in the middle of it.

KiKaL

I still have no gotten a freeze since I got Move. I've put in probably 15 hours since. Before it I got maybe 3-4 freezes in 5-6 hours. I posted about it earlier and still have no idea if there is any correlation but still interesting.

Click

Banned
The Hug Dog said:
Ah okay nice one. I think I'm going to get involved again. MAG was great fun. I found it far superior to a certain other shooter that sold rather well. We should get the clans going again

I'm trying to get a clan going... posted the thread link all over this thread already. Here it is again:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=409449

supermackem said:
Shit whats a good loadout then for a mid ranged player that likes to medic shit up.

I'm mainly a medium - far range player. I use the tier 2 Assault Rifle w/ silencer + foregrip + Acoustic Locator against good players / clans that use silenced weapons. You can see where the action is coming from because the Acoustic Locator gives you those indicators when people are firing their weapons. I fully upgrade my Locator skills so people stay on my mini-map for a good 5-6 seconds and so I can see where people are from far away.

Since Zipper nerfed the knife, good players can't run around and rambo knife everyone as well as they used to. Most good players will use silenced weapons with Sensor Jammer, so if you have an acoustic locator, EVERYONE will show up on your mini-map and screen as a red dot if they fire ANY weapon. Good players love to kill so they love to fire their weapons. Therefor, they'll always be a red dot. :D

When I play against random players that aren't using silenced weapons or if they're low level, I usually put a grenade launcher on my T2 AR instead of the foregrip. The n00btube is amazing since 2.0 IF you know how to properly aim it. It fires 3 grenades and it fires them FAR. So it's a better option compared to carrying regular frag grenades because you only get 2 grenades and it takes forever for them to go off sometimes, giving enemies a chance to run away. Since 2.0 made all weapons fire like laser beams, if you have the reduced recoil skills fully upgraded, a foregrip is not required. Foregrips are still nice to have for extra accuracy, killing people easier long-range with the AR.

I use the n00btube against good players too but they're much harder to hit since they are constantly moving / strafing and they also have 120 health and Explosive Resistance fully upgraded, so 1 hit doesn't always kill them. If you use the n00btube, always be ready to hit R2 immediately after you fire off a grenade so you switch to your bullets to finish people off.

If you're more of a short - medium range player, SMG or shotgun + Motion Sensor or Acoustic Locator is a nice combination. As with everything in this game now, you need to fully upgrade the skills for the respective electronics and weapons to maximize their effectiveness. The Motion Sensor is amazing against newbs and n00bs. Zipper got rid of the Improved Stealth skill, so anyone who doesn't carry a Sensor Jammer with upgraded skills will light up like a Christmas tree on your screen and mini-map if you're carrying a Motion Sensor. I've noticed that a large majority of players don't carry Sensor Jammers for some strange reason. Only the smart / really good players carry one these days.

BTW, I always carry Med. Kit (fully upgraded skills of course), Red Dot Sight, silencer, and Sensor Jammer in ALL of my loadouts. That's why I didn't include these items in the loadouts I posted above.

legbone

supermackem said:

i'm all about the rezzing. i like to use acoustic locator with an assault rifle. i slap a silencer, red-dot, and a foregrip on the ar. i use the upgraded medium armor so i have no room left for nades but i usually just kill my teammates with those anyway. but i suck so who knows, i'm sure someone that is really good will clue you in better.

edit: beaten, but glad to see i have somewhat of a clue.

JardeL

Click said:
I usually put a grenade launcher on my T2 AR instead of the foregrip. The n00btube is amazing since 2.0 IF you know how to properly aim it. It fires 3 grenades and it fires them FAR.
I killed myself countless times because of grenade launcher. I shot , watch its impact/explosion/smoke at least 15-20m away from me and I die. Maybe its about lag I dunno.

Click

Banned
JardeL said:
I killed myself countless times because of grenade launcher. I shot , watch its impact/explosion/smoke at least 15-20m away from me and I die. Maybe its about lag I dunno.

It happens to me too but very rarely. You can't fire a n00btube 10-15m in front of yourself and expect it to not damage / kill you. I know you said 15-20m, but your estimates might be a bit off and like you said, lag might have something to do with it.

Here is some advice when using the grenade launcher. Aim higher than where your target is located because you need to compensate for the arc. Always fire it as far away from you as possible so you don't commit suicide. Lead your target by guessing where they're going to be a few seconds after you fire the grenade. The explosion is instant but unless you're close range to your target, it takes a few seconds for the grenade to travel to them. The grenade can be "banked" off of objects and players sometimes. One time, I hit someone with the grenade dead-on, instantly killing them, then the grenade bounced off of that player and exploded on another enemy 6-7m behind him. :lol

If you know how to aim the grenade launcher and WHEN to use it, the n00btube is extremely fun to use and very effective for clearing out campers hiding behind / inside objects. Like I said, just remember to quickly press R2 to switch back to your bullets after you fire a grenade. Also keep in mind that once you fire a grenade, every enemy close to you will see you as a red dot so you gotta be ready to kill them all. Sometimes I run away and lure them to me. I've even got a +20 (4 kills simultaneously) one time with 1 n00btube hit.

legbone

Wow, i didn't realize the improved stealth skill was gone until you mentioned it click. i knew something was different. i tried the motion sensor and didn't see that much of a difference between it and the acoustic locator. i will try it again since you recommend it so highly. if i remember right it was really heavy, or cost too much in the skill tree or something. but that was mag 1.0. now i can just buy it and goof around with it. thanks for the tips click.

edit: ooh, thanks for the tip on the foregrip also. i max out the stability and recoil skills. had no idea mag 2.0 made the guns shoot straighter. i didn't notice because i always run with a foregrip and maxed stability and recoil skills. gonna try all this out tonight when i get home. man, it's like a whole new game now. hence the 2.0 i guess.

one question though, how do you carry sensor jammer and motion sensor. do you use light armor or something. just curious because if i remember right that wasn't doable with my upgraded medium armor (the dlc one).

I played MAG with Move again for a few hours today (btw no crash or connection problems), I started off with TTP's settings and then tweaked them for me.
I quickly noticed that I need a smaller bounding box (horizontally). When you reach the border, you start turning. If this happens at the very edge of the screen due to a big bounding box, you will abruptly turn and this disorientated me. With a smaller bounding box you will turn sooner but slowly (and quick if you point further in that direction), this makes the aiming much smoother for me.
Also, I prefer having the targets/reticle more around the center of the screen (wouldn't be problem with a small TV or if you sit far away) so I don't actually have to look to the sides of my screen.

With Move I can't play with a scoped weapon as it's bascially the fixed iron sight setting so if you didn't point at the center of the screen before you switch to the scope, your pointer will be somewhere else and you will also start turning. This is very irritating and you basically have to aim again every time you switch. It might work for a long range stationary sniper, you never fire from the hip anyway and you could stay zoomed in and use the variable scope to change the zoom.
But for an AR, you/I need the standard iron sight or the reflex sight (that's what I'm using).

The controls and settings now fit my taste, I'm also getting better now skill-wise. I will use MAG to "train" the Move controls as it probably won't be much different for other FPSs and therefore I may be able to jump right into KZ3 with Move like you are used to with the DS3.

TTP said:
Ok here are the control settings I'm using with the Move.

Player rotation - 70
Player pitch - 30
Gesture sensitivity - 100 (you need to thrust the Move forward to perform knife attack - don't worry this wont cause unintentional knifing)
Scope sensitivity - 100
Normal play - 60 / 40 / 80
Fixed iron sights - OFF (If you have this to On you are doing it wrong)
Iron sights - 0 / 10 / 40

Player rotation - 70
Player pitch - 50
Gesture sensitivity - 90
Scope sensitivity - 55 for now, I didn't really test it (sniper)
Normal play - 60 / 15 / 40
Fixed iron sights - OFF
Iron sights - 30 / 10 / 20

Basically, the only real difference is the turning area and the sensitivity.

btw when I speak of a bounding box, I mean the the space in which the pointer can move (the black box in MAG). Is that wrong? MAG counts the whole frame around that area as the bounding box (blue area).

oh and I enjoy the stabbing gesture way too much, probably looks very funny :lol

Click

Banned
legbone said:
Wow, i didn't realize the improved stealth skill was gone until you mentioned it click. i knew something was different. i tried the motion sensor and didn't see that much of a difference between it and the acoustic locator. i will try it again since you recommend it so highly. if i remember right it was really heavy, or cost too much in the skill tree or something. but that was mag 1.0. now i can just buy it and goof around with it. thanks for the tips click.

edit: ooh, thanks for the tip on the foregrip also. i max out the stability and recoil skills. had no idea mag 2.0 made the guns shoot straighter. i didn't notice because i always run with a foregrip and maxed stability and recoil skills. gonna try all this out tonight when i get home. man, it's like a whole new game now. hence the 2.0 i guess.

one question though, how do you carry sensor jammer and motion sensor. do you use light armor or something. just curious because if i remember right that wasn't doable with my upgraded medium armor (the dlc one).

Did you upgrade the Motion Sensor skills? You need to upgrade it to at least level 2 for it to be really effective. Level 3 is where I have it on my Raven character because any squad member near you will also see where the enemy is.

Again, you shouldn't be using the MS against good players or players that have Sensor Jammers with skill upgrades. You should only be using it against players that don't know any better. I also don't rely on the MS. It's just a tool that helps me be more aware of my surroundings and to better kill n00bs / newbs.

Improved Stealth was a very important skill that Zipper shouldn't have gotten rid of. Low level players are at a big disadvantage as it is. Now, they're at an even bigger disadvantage because they have no ability to hide themselves from players that carry the MS. Prior to level 40 - when the Sensor Jammer becomes available, low level players are extremely vulnerable and "naked" when fighting good players with MS.

The MS is very costly to carry. That's why I recommended it only for close - medium range players that use either a SMG or shotgun. You can't carry a fully decked out AR or LMG with Med Kit, SJ, and MS. My Motion Sensor loadout includes a silenced SMG, SJ, Med Kit, and 4c (2nd lightest) armor. You're a lot more vulnerable to getting killed by 1 claymore and getting 1-shot by sniper rifles, but that's the risk you gotta take if you want to run around with a MS and SJ.

Jubs

Fuck, I'm getting raped :lol :(

The money credit system is a bit odd. The resuscitator is available at lvl 3 or 5, don't remember, but it costs about 800. Is it even possible to get that much at that point? I'm level five, and I only have about 490 something.

How is the community on this one? I'm looking for a game to hold me over since I don't want to shell out for black ops yet. Think it will become barren once cod comes out?

JardeL

Another freeze, but this one is a bit weird :lol ;

TTrrA.jpg

FIX THIS SHIT GG!!!

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
So...if I play for the happy hour bonus each day - and proceed to never win a match - how long until I can max out and leave Valor? :lol

legbone

has anyone vetted during 2.0? do you start off with zero money? i suck so bad, i barely get ribbons unless it's domination and i'm doing lots of healing. i sure won't be getting any for kills.

dazed808

IPoopStandingUp said:
So...if I play for the happy hour bonus each day - and proceed to never win a match - how long until I can max out and leave Valor? :lol

I feel your pain! Getting from level 60 - 69 has taken about 20 hours and if been scoring pretty well on most games (inc a 2700pt game which for me was bloody good!)

dazed808 said:
I feel your pain! Getting from level 60 - 69 has taken about 20 hours and if been scoring pretty well on most games (inc a 2700pt game which for me was bloody good!)

For real? 60-69 is that long?

Click

Banned
Lagspike_exe said:

Yeah, it takes a while. Took me about 3 days of straight playing to get from 60-70. I think even 1-60 takes a bit longer than it did before patch 2.0.

It's not smart for Zipper to make MAG into a grind. People should get to max level asap so everyone is on an even playing field, showing no favoritism to higher levels. Zipper is falling into the same trap MMORPGs have been falling into for years. Once level cap is raised, it shouldn't take 2X longer to level up. Sure, the hardcore players love it because it gives us something to do but the casuals hate it. Grinding levels causes people to give up on the game.

dazed808

Lagspike_exe said:

I'm not sure of the total point requirements (Maybe Click can provide the exact figures?) but I'd estimate the progression to be the same as getting from Level 1 upto 50.

My playtime figure may well be slightly out though. I forgot that I've lost so many points from the freezing probs but still was counting the hours put in - I reckon 15 hours is a more likely number.

JWong

Banned
Click said:
Yeah, it takes a while. Took me about 3 days of straight playing to get from 60-70. I think even 1-60 takes a bit longer than it did before patch 2.0.

It's not smart for Zipper to make MAG into a grind. People should get to max level asap so everyone is on an even playing field, showing no favoritism to higher levels. Zipper is falling into the same trap MMORPGs have been falling into for years. Once level cap is raised, it shouldn't take 2X longer to level up. Sure, the hardcore players love it because it gives us something to do but the casuals hate it. Grinding levels causes people to give up on the game.
Well, casuals probably already stopped playing before they got to that point.

Click

Banned
I don't know the exact hours it took me and it wouldn't matter anyway because everyone is different in how fast they obtain levels. All I know is, it took me 3 straight days of playing MAG to go from 60-70 and I usually level really fast. Took my alt. about 1 and a half week to get from 60-70 but I usually only play for 1-2 hours on that account everyday, if I even play.

I didn't play Domination at all because it kept freezing. Dom. usually nets a bit more XP per hour if you do well, have Happy Hour going, and use Directives. I also didn't play Interdiction because I uninstalled it, but Interdiction gives crazy XP bonuses now.

JWong said:
Well, casuals probably already stopped playing before they got to that point.

You're right. Casuals don't usually last too long in MAG. That's why I wish Zipper made it much easier to level up, especially 1-40. Give newbies a lot of incentives to keep playing instead of getting destroyed by the veterans and clans every game. It's no fun dying and losing over and over. Without a good clan and being high level, MAG just isn't as fun as it can be. This game is the best FPS out in the market today IMO, but it can also be the most frustrating FPS to play when the talent level of opposing teams are unbalanced.

Jubs

I'm still getting freezes during Dom games. Not a common occurrence, but it's happened maybe 2/8 times.

God, I cant get MAG to calibrate correctly. All it does is spin me in a fucking circle. I aim at the fucking targets during calibration. FUUUCCCK.

EDIT: I just discovered that there should be a blue cursor that shows up at the end of the calibration screens. I NEVER FUCKING SEE THIS. This is getting frustrating. Im doing everything it says for me to do and it doesnt fucking work.

JardeL

I was playing with O-R-I-O-N [ Click? ] & his fellas when another freeze hit, but this time in Acquisition mode. So 2.01 patch hasn't fixed anything for me.

SolidusDave said:
MAG hit £17.95 @Zavvi
That's great news. I've been trying to convince people to pick the game up and give it a go, but if you don't want to buy pre-owned it's been full price everywhere.

I got a few games in last night with Click and some of his buddies from [AIR], it was a really eye opening experience. It's like a completely different game playing with an organised squad who cover each other rather than a public squad who seem to endlessly dash themselves against the rocks of a well defended objective without thinking.

Click

Banned
Sputnik Sweetheart said:
I got a few games in last night with Click and some of his buddies from [AIR], it was a really eye opening experience. It's like a completely different game playing with an organised squad who cover each other rather than a public squad who seem to endlessly dash themselves against the rocks of a well defended objective without thinking.

I wish I can give everyone the experience I have everyday / night when I play with my clan. If everyone can play this game with and against other competent players, the playerbase would be extremely addicted and wouldn't stop playing this game for months like me, lol. The problem with MAG has always been the fact that playing without a clan, especially at low levels, can be one of the worst FPS experience anyone can have. But when playing with a good / great clan or random players that actually know how to play the game, the experience changes from "worst" to "best."

That AIR clan used to be the 2nd best Raven clan. Their membership has declined both in numbers and talent the past few months. But I've always respected them for not ever talking shit in-game or on the forums. Good players and good people. Hard to find that combination these days in this game. Most good players / clans are usually shit-talking, egotistical pricks.

BTW, good job with that last-second defuse on C. We still lost against my main clan, but it was awesome how you prolonged the game a few more minutes... at level 6. :lol

Sanic

So anecdotally, for those of you who play with a DS3, how has Move effected the experience? I just picked this up, and i'll be playing with a DS3 and was wondering if i'm going to be destroyed.

Click

Banned

legbone

this is such fucking bullshit. the last time i played i had at least half my happy hour eaten by freeze ups. now tonight i get almost to the end of a dom match and boom! FREEZE! So i just cuss a little (ok maybe a lot) and then go respec my character to get the most out of my new found love for the motion sensor and lack of a need for the foregrip (thanks click, i really like how it lets people around me see everyone too). So i get a directive into an interdiction match and almost to the end of that bitch, Boom! FREEZE! I was so pissed off i just quit playing. There goes happy hour for today. only about 5 minutes left when i quit. figured i better not try it again because if it froze a third time (and i suspect it would) i would probably throw my fucking ps3 through my tv. cocksucking freezes are slowly ruining this game for me and i have been with it (sporadically i will admit, but i was about to vet before they upped the level cap) since close to launch.

JardeL

nSvkO.jpg

Asked him if he's using PS MOVE, he said no. Checked his stats and bam! ; 624 hours of playtime, Veteran 4. :lol Man that's badass.

Top Bottom