• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG 2.0 |OT| of Ultimate Relaunch Party with Playstation MOVE!

Man

Das-J said:
Have you tried bumping up the "Gesture Sensitivity" value in Options?
To put it simply:

Scoping sucks with Move. Make it free-form ala cross hairs (fixed scope does not work). I have no doubt Zipper fully realizes this. Money can be the only possible issue here.

Melee: This should be a button click and I'm sure 90-98.765% of Move owners agree. This isn't a waggle experience. The pointer functionality makes it so much more fun but no need to go overboard with every feature the device offers just because.

Otherwise: Awesome!

fixuis

Click got banned again? Damn. Valor gaf, where are you guys? I'm gmt+5. We need to set proper timings or if the gaf valor clan is dead, somebody point me in the direction of a decent valor clan that play regularly and has a healthy attendance.

Escalation is a lot of fun. The constant shifting of objectives keeps the game moving and the small maps keep you on your toes. Running low on ammo just when you're about to capture D and notify the 2 opposing teams exactly where you are is exciting.

KiKaL

fixuis said:
Click got banned again? Damn. Valor gaf, where are you guys? I'm gmt+5. We need to set proper timings or if the gaf valor clan is dead, somebody point me in the direction of a decent valor clan that play regularly and has a healthy attendance.

Oh man looks like he did, that stinks. He was really helpful to play with.

DoomGyver

Just picked up MAG and a $20 psn card, had to go to 3 stores to find it. :lol Target had it for 29.99 greatest hits price but without the red case. so win win.

I'll probably pick up a move bundle tomorrow.

theBishop

Banned
Hows the player count? I felt shafted with Acquisition because it literally took hours to get a game going. After the XP-bonus tweaks and 2.0 patch it improved a lot. Still, one bitten...

Also, have the graphics improved since the 2.0 beta? Some parts of those maps looked awful.

KiKaL

Heads up for Plus members. Escalation is $7.99 and Interdiction is $2.50. I was going to hold off on the DLC but the sale got me.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Damn..uh..how bout the first person to PM me can GIVE me an Escalation code. There we go.

Also if you're not on Raven you're not in a GAF crew. Actually even if you're on Raven you're probably only playing with me..but..yeah..

DoomGyver

Deal on Amazon MAG Starter Kit $9.99

includes 6 avatars, 30-day access to 2 additional character slots and 3 PMC Themes. Also includes both Escalation and Interdiction Mission Packs, featuring two unique game modes, 6 spectacular missions, 9 new weapons and Heavy Improved Armor for each PMC. (A $28 value.)

I believe this is US only.

j-wood

I've noticed in some games that at seemingly random times, this green satelliete dish starts flashing beside the mini map. What does that mean?

Pandemic

I'm very surprised but happy that they've continued to support this game, I've yet to purchase it, even though it's at a pretty cheap price.

What does everyone think of the recent DLC?

bunbun777

j-wood said:
I've noticed in some games that at seemingly random times, this green satelliete dish starts flashing beside the mini map. What does that mean?

Someone in your squad spent 14000 for a sensor jammer. They work best when you do not sprint.

I'm loving the Escalation. Maybe it's because they are giving me 3x xp... i'm leveling fast.

Billen

Banned
Man said:
To put it simply:

Scoping sucks with Move. Make it free-form ala cross hairs (fixed scope does not work). I have no doubt Zipper fully realizes this. Money can be the only possible issue here.

Melee: This should be a button click and I'm sure 90-98.765% of Move owners agree. This isn't a waggle experience. The pointer functionality makes it so much more fun but no need to go overboard with every feature the device offers just because.

Otherwise: Awesome!

Yes, yes and yes. I can't believe how lousy scoped mode is with the move controller. Surely no beginners will ever try learning it as it stands now.

Das-J

Law of the West
A ton of people picked up Escalation yesterday and games are kicking off at nearly the same pace as Sabotage!

It really is a blast, so hop on and join us for some hot 3-way action... :lol

dazed808

Das-J said:

If you guys switched on a server for us Euros I'd be balls deep all weekend long. It's so sad the lag stops me playing as much as I'd like but there's only so many times you can get yourself safely behind cover and then get headshotted 2 seconds later before throwing the controller at the wall.

Trevelyan

Banned
So just purchased Escalation to kick off my 3 day weekend, and holy shit. So awesome. Well done Zipper, I see myself playing this for a looong time... at least until Socom 4 comes out! :D

Man

Das-J said:
Maybe I have been browsing OT too much but 'no eye contact during a devil's three way' comes to mind.

Das-J

Law of the West
dazed808 said:
If you guys switched on a server for us Euros I'd be balls deep all weekend long. It's so sad the lag stops me playing as much as I'd like but there's only so many times you can get yourself safely behind cover and then get headshotted 2 seconds later before throwing the controller at the wall.
You absolutely have servers over there... sounds like it might be a connection problem! :(

Do you have issues with any other MP games?

dazed808

Das-J said:

Rarely have a problem with other MP games unless I'm playing with the US GAF Killzone fellas but they're all lag switchin' anyway ;)

Maybe there's not enough of us Euro's playing late at night which is the only time I can get on - does the game setup still chose the server from the region the majority of players are from?

Man

Playing in EU and I have no lag issues.

Escalation is a superb add-on. It actually raises the quality of the game. Probably would give it an 8 or 9 in score. Playing the SETI map or Silverback Ridge and running alongside dozens of your team mates into a three sided combat field with good engine performance (improved framerate and endless draw distance) makes this feel like MAG the sequel. Pretty special.

Pros:
+ Most beautiful MAG maps yet. No Fog!
+ Escalation maps are tuned for better framerate performance, runs better than the rest of MAG.
+ Three sided combat makes the game feel truly unique.
+ Winning a three sided match is *really* satisfying.

Design:
+/- There is one global spawn point for each team that never changes throughout the match (though the team is randomly assigned one of these at the start of each match) and there's some distance to cover to reach the map center with plenty of chokepoints to get there.

Cons:
- If you *really* hate clusterfucks then Escalation endgame is not for you (when goal A, B and C is done with everyone focuses on D).

MAG has never been better imho. Escalation also sets the ground work for future MAG sequels.

Nice that we can now see which team is holding which point in Escalation & their overall progression.
Though it seems people don't care because it often happens that while the one team closest to win fills their last portion of the bar, the other 2 teams cannibalize each other. On the other hand, sometimes don't even know where the hell the other team is that is supposed to attack D.
Also, sometimes it feels like the bars are going up quickly but I don't know why.

No45

Das-J said:
Yeah, that's generally the case. Late at night your time means Prime-Time for Asia.
Late at night in the EU is early mornings in Asia. Do you mean the US?

My copy of this has FINALLY turned up.

Sorc3r3r

Man said:
Playing in EU and I have no lag issues.

Escalation is a superb add-on. It actually raises the quality of the game. Probably would give it an 8 or 9 in score. Playing the SETI map or Silverback Ridge and running alongside dozens of your team mates into a three sided combat field with good engine performance (improved framerate and endless draw distance) makes this feel like MAG the sequel. Pretty special.

Pros:
+ Most beautiful MAG maps yet. No Fog!
+ Escalation maps are tuned for better framerate performance, runs better than the rest of MAG.
+ Three sided combat makes the game feel truly unique.
+ Winning a three sided match is *really* satisfying.

Design:
+/- There is one global spawn point for each team that never changes throughout the match (though the team is randomly assigned one of these at the start of each match) and there's some distance to cover to reach the map center with plenty of chokepoints to get there.

Cons:
- If you *really* hate clusterfucks then Escalation endgame is not for you (when goal A, B and C is done with everyone focuses on D).

MAG has never been better imho. Escalation also sets the ground work for future MAG sequels.

QFT.

I've jumped the beta, but bought the DLC, it's a blast to play, great job guys.
And nice weapon additions too.

Now you have to manage to begin to sell this game on the PSN, it's a nonsense to have only the BR version, it is a game born to be a DD.

DoomGyver

I put several hours into it the other night and man am I struggling. I don't remember having a KDR this low for a loooong time. I also just bought a move bundle and will play with that tonight so I'm sure my kdr will sink even lower :lol

I spent most of my skill tree points on marksmen and medic but now I need to beef up my resistances and health big time. Sort of discouraged right now but I'm starting to get the hang of it and I can feel it becoming more fun. It's just hard when you're new and everyone else has better guns/accuracy/health.

My only negative so far is the amount of time it takes to get logged in and in a queue. Why do I have to see the move setup guide every time I boot up the game? Let us skip that shit, I know zipper made the game already.

Picked up the starter pack last night, really enjoying the new modes. Escalation's just plain awesome. Interdiction was a crazy chaotic vehicle fest, seemed a bit less strategically structured than other modes. Even then, the emphasis on APC combat was a nice change.

JWong

Banned
What is the active userbase on MAG? Just interested to know.

I remember getting in games pretty easily.

DoomGyver

JWong said:
What is the active userbase on MAG? Just interested to know.

I remember getting in games pretty easily.
It doesn't take me very long at all to get into a game. I am just complaining about the amount of time it takes to startup the game itself.

Das-J

Law of the West
Full Recovery said:
My only negative so far is the amount of time it takes to get logged in and in a queue. Why do I have to see the move setup guide every time I boot up the game? Let us skip that shit, I know zipper made the game already.
That's a huge issue for us as well, but sadly nothing can be done about it. :(

Full Recovery said:
It doesn't take me very long at all to get into a game. I am just complaining about the amount of time it takes to startup the game itself.
It's definitely not the shortest in terms of time to get into a game from the XMB. Finding games is damn fast, especially with the newer modes (200% XP probably has something to do with it...)

It's becoming endemic for the platform that it takes for fucking ever to do start anything (firmware, title updates, Home loading, etc).

DoomGyver

Das-J said:
That's a huge issue for us as well, but sadly nothing can be done about it. :(
Oh so that's Sonys call? so I take it all of the move games have that startup thing then.. That's a bummer. Tell sony for me that it should only show it the first time a user boots up the game :p

It is pretty short though, just a nuisance.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I was all MAG'd out back in May'ish but just bought the Move and Nav controller yesterday so looking at getting back into this for awhile, see how it performs.

I think from memory I am a Lvl 57 Valor (Already maxed out Sver) so if there are any active Valor clan members then I'll be keen to hook up. I'm in New Zealand so +12 GMT I think it is for me.

KiKaL

I picked up Interdiction because of it being so cheap for Plus members and I got to say so far I really like it. I think I prefer it over escalation. So far I haven't had trouble finding a game in it so hopefully a lot more people picked up for the same reason I did.

Full Recovery said:
Oh so that's Sonys call? so I take it all of the move games have that startup thing then.. That's a bummer. Tell sony for me that it should only show it the first time a user boots up the game :p

It is pretty short though, just a nuisance.

There's also that stupid Sony requirement that each SCEI published game has to have that "Sony Computer Entertainment Presents" logo at the start each time that cannot be skipped.

jayb

What Move settings are you guys using now?

I honestly can't decide whether I like TTP's or the default "Competitive" settings better. Right, now I'm just experimenting with a combination of the two.

On a side note, I wish I could permanently save my custom controller settings. If I switch to a default setting and then go back to custom, all my previous custom settings are gone. :(

jayb

Man said:

+6900 on this!

Zipper, please let me remap melee to a button!

BTW - I just bought this game last week and other than the melee control, I'm loving it with so far with the Move.

uhm to which button would you map it? There is no one left besides maybe the X&O buttons on a Navi controller. But then you could not move at the same time.
With the stabbing you can move and still aim more or less, just like R3 on the DS3.

jayb

SolidusDave said:
uhm to which button would you map it? There is no one left besides maybe the X&O buttons on a Navi controller. But then you could not move at the same time.
With the stabbing you can move and still aim more or less, just like R3 on the DS3.

i'd map it to something like this:

melee: move button or O
switch guns: move button or O
action button: []
jump: X
crouch/prone: /\
reload: twist of the wrist like in KZ3. Although, I realize Zipper would be unlikely to add this. So if that's not possible, maybe simply map reload to the stabbing motion?

elohel

is it really necessary to use the camera with move for MAG?

wouldn't the accelerometer stuff work fine?

just really dislike the idea of shifting on the couch affecting the way the game handles

jayb

elohel said:
is it really necessary to use the camera with move for MAG?

wouldn't the accelerometer stuff work fine?

just really dislike the idea of shifting on the couch affecting the way the game handles

The camera+compass+accelerometer +gyroscope all working together make for a pretty accurate pointer. I'm not sure if removing the camera would make it less accurate as a pointer or not.

having to recalibrate after shifting on the couch is a slight annoyance, but it's not that big of a deal to me.

Top Bottom