• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Port to Sideboard

Justin

DI5nRrYUMAAzUEV.jpg

Santiako

That's a very good 1 drop. I wish it was a Merfolk though.

EDIT: Cropped the pic for easier viewing:

GQPOPII.png

First male siren in mtg?

I don't follow.

For twenty years WotC has been doing things with card layout and visual design to try to make them easier for people to engage with, players who think of themselves as highly invested have complained about those things, but history has never borne those complaints out. I still think of people throwing fits about the existence of reminder text in 1997. It's just basically always silly to complain about attempts to make the game simpler or easier to understand because they're always fighting against the tide.

MBLtDlN.png

Holy shit, Ramunap Red lives one stronger than ever!

That art is terrible though.

Finally! I've been waiting for it to return for over two years now. I'm sooooo glad I bought into Ramunap Red before rotation. RDW is here to stay!
For a little while maybe.

For twenty years WotC has been doing things with card layout and visual design to try to make them easier for people to engage with, players who think of themselves as highly invested have complained about those things, but history has never borne those complaints out. I still think of people throwing fits about the existence of reminder text in 1997. It's just basically always silly to complain about attempts to make the game simpler or easier to understand because they're always fighting against the tide.
I'm not against reminder text I don't understand the usage of the reminder text on these lands, as in I doubt the necessity and functionality.

Supast4r

God i hate wizards so much

What the hell is the point of 7 cmc dinosaurs when you have lands that hit for 2 damage, and lightning strikes ?

There isn't enough lifegain in the world that can stop decks with Lightning Strike and Ramanup Ruins. I still remember the days when a 2/4 that gained you up to 2 life a turn, and a 4/5 gain 3 life draining rhino weren't good enough to stop red decks, and there is nothing like either of those cards in standard right now.
You do realize that the dinos go in a ramp deck that already has cards right? Hour of promise, the cycling thing that gets you a basic land, Chandra Tod, and the three mana rampant growth all look like they work well with the dinos. And they haven't even given us ramp cards in this set yet which looks like they will. Be patient...

Daedardus

Has Wizards already commented on the possible infinite loop with Hostage Taker? Seems like errata is in order, you don't want to cast it on an empty board.

Santiako

Has Wizards already commented on the possible infinite loop with Hostage Taker? Seems like errata is in order, you don't want to cast it on an empty board.

They already said its receiving errata. The card now starts off with "When Hostage Taker enters the battlefield, exile another target creature or artifact until..."

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm curious to see how they handle this on the digital version since playing on a small phone favors less text, but you can also have way more dynamic pop-ups and reminders.

noquarter

I'm not against reminder text I don't understand the usage of the reminder text on these lands, as in I doubt the necessity and functionality.
I think it is mainly for people who don't play the game that often and might see one of these. They might have not played through Innistard and Origins so have not seen DFC cards before (You read this thread and it seems like at least a few times a year there is the "Haven't played in over a decade, where do I start," post. The text is for those people. The text is for kitchen table crowd that might not ever open one, and when it shows up on the table they can easily see why the other player didn't just play the card as a land.

I really think it makes sense to have something like that reminder text in the card. The other option is "~ can only enter the battlefield if ~ was transformed." or something similar. These are the only lands I can think of that you can't just play, so they are very unique in the game and require something for people that casually play can easily understand.

I'm curious to see how they handle this on the digital version since playing on a small phone favors less text, but you can also have way more dynamic pop-ups and reminders.

I mean the obvious thing to do is steal gratuitously from Hearthstone and do little reminder flags that pop out next to the card when you go to interact with it.

If the released screens are anything to go by the cards are going to be presented as mostly name and art. Seems easy to assume functionality from there. And we get to find out on saturday, whoo!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Wow, I'm glad they've reversed the stance in thinking 3 damage for 2 was too strong. Glad to see it back.
They never thought that. They just had a problem with it being instant speed and able to target both creatures and players

Yeef

Wow, I'm glad they've reversed the stance in thinking 3 damage for 2 was too strong. Glad to see it back.
I'm not sure where you got that idea from. Abrade, Incendiary Flow and Oath of Chandra all deal 3 damage and all cost 2. I don't recall them ever mentioning that they thought 3 damage for 2 mana was too powerful.

Justin

So is this the supposed full replacement for MTGO? I looked at downloading it once but I just couldn't. The interface was too much.

We have reports from alpha testers that it's the full rules engine from MTGO. The common thinking right now is that they are not going to just throw away MTGO over night so it will probably be an in between at the start i.e. Full Sets with limited formats but maybe only sets currently in standard.

Since it's WOTC though they will probably reveal it's a MOBA.

Oh, I'm talking limited. Servant of the Conduit is probably going to be the go-to 2 mana ramp guy.
Servant only sees play where energy matters, ramp decks are actually resorting to druid of the cowl in the sideboard right now.

If it were anything but a 1/1 it would actually be great as a dork that can become a threat. Sort of like Sylvan Advocate used to be great.

sgjackson

Every pre-released card has looked good. I might actually try to get the entire Ixalan set.

i've been putting a lot of thought into getting one of every pirate and building beckett brass for edh and the fact that the pirates seem to be pushed somewhat to establish them as a tribe isn't helping

I think it is mainly for people who don't play the game that often and might see one of these. They might have not played through Innistard and Origins so have not seen DFC cards before (You read this thread and it seems like at least a few times a year there is the "Haven't played in over a decade, where do I start," post. The text is for those people. The text is for kitchen table crowd that might not ever open one, and when it shows up on the table they can easily see why the other player didn't just play the card as a land.

I really think it makes sense to have something like that reminder text in the card. The other option is "~ can only enter the battlefield if ~ was transformed." or something similar. These are the only lands I can think of that you can't just play, so they are very unique in the game and require something for people that casually play can easily understand.
This might have been an explanation a decade ago but nowadays the internet is accessible everywhere and the first thing anyone picking up a double faced card for the very first time is going to look it up or ask the internet.

The cost of including it is low but it doesn't explain all that much either. If someone new or returning borrows a deck and there's a double faced card sleeved the act of transforming isn't actually described anywhere.

I don't think anyone would use this card w/o inquiring how to first if they doubt how it's used. There's just too much weirdness involved no one would be able to presume how it's done right.

Adaren

Man, it's vehicles being a semi-regular thing now, I really wish they had made Crew Sorcery speed. I feel like it would give them so much more design space, and make Vehicles so much less obnoxious to deal with.

I mean the obvious thing to do is steal gratuitously from Hearthstone and do little reminder flags that pop out next to the card when you go to interact with it.

Duels did something similar to this actually. Keywords on cards were flagged on the right of the card, and you could expand the keywords to view little explanations.

Justin

i think someone asked this question here

jehomovah asked: Will the DFC's in ixalan be treated like the ones on Innistrad, where theres one in every pack taking up its own unique slot?

No, there are only ten total and none at low rarities.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Image.ashx

This card only affects cards drawn from the library, not the graveyard, right?

Does this stop all subsequent draw higher than 2? For exmaple, if I Pull From Tomorrow X=4, and it gets flashed out, instead we would each only draw one card?

Top Bottom