• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Port to Sideboard

Xis

Around 1000 cards added each year means they will just be keeping up with new releases and not back-filling old sets.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
So, one of my biggest annoyances in Hearthstone is the fixed hand ordering, and it looks like they're doing it in Arena, too. It's just the sort of mechanic that can give a player a tiny advantage for having a good memory and bothering to keep track of it, which drives me nuts.

Pokemon TCGO randomizes card placement in your opponent's hand—they can draw a specific card from their deck, reveal it, it goes into the their hand at the front, but when they play it immediately, it comes from the middle of their hand. I don't get why other online card games don't do this.

So

Fucking

Dumb.

Pour all this money into Arena, and then split your userbase? Do they really think pros are going to EVER stream Arena?
WotC proves yet again they do not understand technology.

Just like when they had one of the best message board communities on the entire fucking Internet, then killed the forums because WotC wanted to catch in on the MySpace blog craze and tried to force that on the users.

sgjackson

if this isn't a modo replacement it wouldn't shock me if there's eventually a new eternal format that starts with the first set in arena

Fou-Lu

WotC proves yet again they do not understand technology.

Just like when they had one of the best message board communities on the entire fucking Internet, then killed the forums because WotC wanted to catch in on the MySpace blog craze and tried to force that on the users.

That was awful, so much good content was lost.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'd like them to eventually back-fill to cover all of Modern but yeah, I don't need full Vintage support in this thing
This would have to take off in a very unlikely way before I would think they would do that.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
This would have to take off in a very unlikely way before I would think they would do that.

I suspect that, for Modern at least, a lot of the weird mechanics that would eat up implementation time will get taken care of when they come up in a new set. Like if four years from now we've had a set with split cards, a set with poison counters, etc etc that work is already done and, say, adding Return to Ravnica becomes a matter of programming Unleash and Populate which are interactions the game already fundamentally has

DJJeYToWAAEOFP8.jpg

jph139

I'll admit that Commander with a cardpool of, at best, Kaladesh onward sounds interesting.

How many actual options would there be? Like, maybe 50 Legendary Creatures from then until Ixalan? Would be weird.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
No trading sounds wrong to me on an instinctual level but its proooooobably the right call here honestly.

Pokemon TCGO has trading and it's created a really bizarre secondary market where everything's value is based on boosters. Different booster sets have different value based on what might be inside. It's suuuuuper confusing and unintuitive. The Heartstone model is probably better for MTG.

sgjackson

I'm mostly interested in this for draft, so I'm curious about:

1. If draft is live or if it's asynchronous like Eternal or randomly generated like Hearthstone.
2. How much it costs to draft regularly. Is it possible to go infinite/very slow bleed like HS?

Ashodin

Cards tapping not all the way is feedback from players that tapped cards looked "weird" digitally.

AH you CAN reorder the cards in your hand.

Justin

So, one of my biggest annoyances in Hearthstone is the fixed hand ordering, and it looks like they're doing it in Arena, too. It's just the sort of mechanic that can give a player a tiny advantage for having a good memory and bothering to keep track of it, which drives me nuts.

Just announced you can reorder the cards in your hand.

Repgnar

It has potential but I feel like they're not willing to commit. Splitting the player base is lame although I understand that the way they're setting it up means that the older formats are going to be the last ones to be supported if at all. I'd be more interested in it if they came out and said that they're first supporting Ixalan, limited, standard and then will 100% support the older formats with the intention of replacing MTGO with the polished version of this. Instead it just sounds like the versions of MTG they've released in the last few years. It'll be F2P so i'll download it and give it a shot but they could reach so much more with a modern(not in the format sense) MTGO client.

Well, honestly, I'm pretty excited. This definitely looks like the most competent digital product they've produced so far. This is clearly a big investment for them, if they eventually get Commander and Modern in there I may never leave my house again.

I'll admit that Commander with a cardpool of, at best, Kaladesh onward sounds interesting.

How many actual options would there be? Like, maybe 50 Legendary Creatures from then until Ixalan? Would be weird.

It would be awful for years and years at minimum. 100 card singleton decks want to have a lot of options and they wouldn't here.

The white one turns into Aysen Highway

=V

But I don't need another copy. D:

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Fuck it, signed up for the beta. Still bitter about them abandoning duels though.

This looks like it's exactly what reasonable people were expecting. The only thing they haven't committed to is codes in packs and it sounds like that's only because they don't know exactly how they want to do it.

Top Bottom