• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
So what's up in this thread? Did I miss anything good?

Viz announced that next week they'll start running World Trigger, WSJ's newest series. Making it the first series to start in Japan and the USA at the same time. That's pretty big news.
It will probably be cancelled considering the Viz Jump curse, but we'll see.

Azure J

Sumomomo Momomo

This is the most manga-ish manga I have ever read. Somehow it's also very entertaining. It's still extremely weird knowing this comes from the same person behind Magi. :lol

bigkrev

Viz announced that next week they'll start running World Trigger, WSJ's newest series. Making it the first series to start in Japan and the USA at the same time. That's pretty big news.
It will probably be cancelled considering the Viz Jump curse, but we'll see.

Can someone fill me in on the "curse"?

wonzo

Banned
Aku no Hana 39

I really don't see why she can't tell her friends that she likes books. It's not like there's some severe social stigma with reading them or anything. You can't help but laugh at how pathetic every single person in this really is.

Can someone fill me in on the "curse"?

Of the three series picked up by weekly shonen jump (alpha) from their debut in JPN at chp 1
Takamagahara
Barrage

Were ended in Japan before reaching 20 chapters.

So far Cross Manage is struggling to not get cancelled (but will cross 20 chapters).
Rurouni Kenshin: Restoration also started at chp 1 here and in JPN...but is not techinically a weekly shonen jump title though it is still running and will have print volumes released starting this summer.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
It's no longer called Alpha now right? Maybe they've broken the curse!

The Alpha has been dropped. It's now just "Weekly Shonen Jump". I call it "Weekly Shonen Jump USA" to avoid confusion with the original magazine.
As for the curse, it hasn't been broken yet. It's very likely Cross Manage is the next to go.

7 Seeds 104-121

Finally caught up, really good series, though it seems that all the non summer b + ango/ryo groups are about to converge together. Really interesting to see where the plot will go from here, seems like the story could be getting close to the end.

Guess I need to pick up another series, I'm thinking about either Black Cat (know nothing about and never seen) or Shaman King (seen most of the dubbed anime, know general gist of how manga ends). Thoughts, suggestions?

Shin Angyo Onshi
Otoyomegatari

Black Cat is meh. I love Shaman King but it's messy as hell.

How racist we talking with this Terra Formars manga?

N9KgzHl.png

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
To be fair the last time I remember an African American character being treated tastefully was in The One, where he was just the gay best friend.

Black Cat Volume 1

Train is a really fun character to follow, Sven plays a good straight man to his zany antics. I can't help but get a Cowboy Bebop feel from this series set up which I mean if you're going to copy something I guess Bebop isn't a bad template to copy/paste. Eve and Rinslet haven't done enough yet for me to make a solid opinion on yet but I do like they're designs and set ups.

Aku no Hana 39

I really don't see why she can't tell her friends that she likes books. It's not like there's some severe social stigma with reading them or anything. You can't help but laugh at how pathetic every single person in this really is.

Depends on your friends at that age.

A new historical manga license was revealed (Shigeru Mizuki's Showa: A History of Showa Japan)
North American publisher Drawn & Quarterly confirmed with ANN on Monday that the company will be releasing Shigeru Mizuki's Showa: A History of Showa Japan (Comic Showa-Shi) manga series. The company will release the first omnibus volume, which will cover the first 14 years of Japan's Showa era (1926-1939), on September 3 for US$24.95.

Gamaran 175

He guys in case we didn't make Iori seem OP, here you go! I can't remember if he's ever lost in a fight really. I know he's been outnumbered and had to stand down but wow.

Does Ken Akamatsu make Manga anymore? I've lost track of him after Negima! Was flipping through one of my old Love Hina copies and was wondering if he made any new series.

On that note got my copies of Zombiepowder in the mail. Man Kubo why did you get depressed and had it canceled? It was really good too.

Wiseblade

Does Ken Akamatsu make Manga anymore? I've lost track of him after Negima! Was flipping through one of my old Love Hina copies and was wondering if he made any new series.

On that note got my copies of Zombiepowder in the mail. Man Kubo why did you get depressed and had it canceled? It was really good too.

Didn't he stop Negima because of the new copyright laws or something? If that was the case, it's unlikely that he started anything new.

Black Cat Volume 2

This really is Bebop the manga lol it's still really enjoyable though. Creed seems like an interesting and complex character and his strange obsession with Train makes him incredibly dangerous. Seems like a 3 way battle between Creed's group, Chronus' numbers, and our heroes will eventually happen later on in the series which should be awesome.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I haven't even searched yet, don't want to spoil anything by looking for art, and I cant see a reason to post those images here.They seem as if theyd make a great team, so its reasonable that they'd be into each other. One should be proud the series has good arts, you brought up nisekoi...Ive yet to see it have anything Id say is good art, so its definitely not a masterpiece.

No it's not reasonable that they'd be into each other.

You must have not been following medaka box.

I read it actually. But Rosario's change of genre felt much more abrupt and off.

And was it ever really harem. I mean the protagonist was always openly devoted to one girl. Its not like he either encouraged the others or was even indecisive about the whole situation. It was more like a romance between Moka and Tsukune, with hangers on who won't stop no matter how often he declares his love for Moka alone.

Hahaha, well, all the girls want the same MC = qualifies for a Harem to me.

I was hoping Sakuragi's motivation for playing basketball could at least develop beyond just making the girl (forgot her name) happy or something.

Yes of course in the end it's like this, but it never develop into anything related to him wanting to get "into each other" with Rukawa.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Didn't he stop Negima because of the new copyright laws or something? If that was the case, it's unlikely that he started anything new.

No, he just quit Kodansha over their treatment of someone else. If that law really mattered Super Interesting Darkness would be on the chopping block way before Negima

Maedhros

I think that's indeed the case.

That and a Kodansha law that made the licenses of the manga being owned by Kodansha, not the author, or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom