• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That makes TWGOK worse than shit then.

anx5rBV.gif

World Trigger starts this week in WSJ correct? That means it's the first manga in history to be officially released both in Japan and US from chapter 1 day 1. Pretty crazy to think about.

Kurita

World Trigger starts this week in WSJ correct? That means it's the first manga in history to be officially released both in Japan and US from chapter 1 day 1. Pretty crazy to think about.
True, true.
I wonder if we'll get it in Europe at some point, that would be pretty exciting.
I'm ready to subscribe to it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Serious question Beam...would you honestly say you think Bleach is the, or one of the, best manga of all time?

upandaway

I don't know how I feel about this. On one hand I want fan translations to pop up so I can read it, but on the other hand it'll be pretty good on WSJ's resume to have a series without any fan effort on it (that they pretty much prevented, nonetheless), and that could help get subscribers.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Welp, World Trigger is dead.
I'm surprised Cross Manage managed to avoid the last batch of cancellations.
Who knows, maybe World Trigger will survive.

I don't know how I feel about this. On one hand I want fan translations to pop up so I can read it, but on the other hand it'll be pretty good on WSJ's resume to have a series without any fan effort on it (that they pretty much prevented, nonetheless), and that could help get subscribers.

If the series attains any popularity at all then there will be scans of it one way or another.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
At least we all hate Naruto

I don't hate either Naruto or Bleach. They're hardly what I'd call "good" but they did enough of a good job investing me in the characters/story I still read them. I'm not really expecting deep intricate plots (that a baka gaijin like you wouldn't understand)

I wonder, considering that this will be released simultaneously isn't it possible for the US to get volumes of World Trigger around the same time as Japan does? I wonder if it could create a scenario where the series survives due to US sales and interest instead of simply fading out.

Stinky

I don't hate either Naruto or Bleach. They're hardly what I'd call "good" but they did enough of a good job investing me in the characters/story I still read them. I'm not really expecting deep intricate plots (that a baka gaijin like you wouldn't understand)

I don't hate it either. If I hated it I would stop reading. Its my least favourite of the Big Three though and I think its funny that Mangaf will back and forth about the quality of Bleach or One Piece but nobody ever steps up to defend Naruto haha.

I don't hate it either. If I hated it I would stop reading. Its my least favourite of the Big Three though and I think its funny that Mangaf will back and forth about the quality of bleach or One Piece but nobody ever steps up to defend Naruto haha.

It's mean to ignore DTL.

upandaway

Cross Manage will survive as long as Jump can't get a sports manga to replace it (especially now that Kurogane's gone). And for a sports manga to replace it, that sports manga first needs to stabilize (which means Cross Manage will probably at least survive for 1 more term after something new is serialized).

I think the April batch is on average the biggest so more series are in danger. We'll see, I guess.

If the series attains any popularity at all then there will be scans of it one way or another.
If animeland is any indication then yeah. But I'm not gonna read any official scans through unofficial channels, even if I'm blocked from the normal means.

BatDan

I wonder, considering that this will be released simultaneously isn't it possible for the US to get volumes of World Trigger around the same time as Japan does? I wonder if it could create a scenario where the series survives due to US sales and interest instead of simply fading out.

Maybe.
I know for volumes, Viz also translates the sound effects into English, instead of just putting a small English word on the side. So that could cause delays.

upandaway

Maybe.
I know for volumes, Viz also translates the sound effects into English, instead of just putting a small English word on the side. So that could cause delays.
There's also all the bonus content in volumes that they can't really start on translating before the volume releases in Japan (like SBS and all that).

There's also all the bonus content in volumes that they can't really start on translating before the volume releases in Japan (like SBS and all that).

True, but normally viz gets a manga with 0% translated unless they use fan translations as a start (lol), now they'll pick up a volume and the majority of the content is already done.

When does viz release their weekly shonen jump series volumes with bonus content? I thought only their monthly series and etc got that treatment. Naruto/Bleach/Bakuman get no bonus contents.

Wiseblade

That makes TWGOK worse than shit then.
You're not even subtle about it now.
Beam exists only to make me appreciate Stat Flow.
Too true. Stat a cool dude in general, but compared to Beam...

Cross Manage will survive as long as Jump can't get a sports manga to replace it (especially now that Kurogane's gone). And for a sports manga to replace it, that sports manga first needs to stabilize (which means Cross Manage will probably at least survive for 1 more term after something new is serialized).

I think the April batch is on average the biggest so more series are in danger. We'll see, I guess.
Then isn't Haikyu's popularity enough to kill Cross Manage? Shueisha have been pushing it a lot, alongside Nisekoi.

upandaway

Then isn't Haikyu's popularity enough to kill Cross Manage? Shueisha have been pushing it a lot, alongside Nisekoi.
That's not really how it works. If there's a really popular sports manga in Jump, then Jump will try and push more sports than usual, not less, because the popular manga attracts fans who'll appreciate more variety in the genre in the magazine. After Kuroko was the only one that could stick for so many years, now that they finally managed to get 3 going at the same time, they're not gonna just lose that.

Articalys

It's one of those "top new upcoming manga for 2013" bookstore manga ranking things, with Assassination Classroom in the top spot and Onepunch-Man at #9.
1,586 staff members at 1,280 stores revealed their ranking of the top 15 recommended manga on Monday. Yusei Matsui's Ansatsu Kyōshitsu (Assassination Classroom) took the top spot in the "Zenkoku Shotenin ga Eranda Osusume Comic 2013" list, followed by Kenichi Tachibana and Yū Sasuga's Terra Formars.

The bookstore staff members had answered a survey of which manga with five volumes or less that they recommend.

Assassination Classroom, Terra Formars, Ore Monogatari!!, and Ballroom e Yōkoso are nominated for the 6th Manga Taisho Awards along with eight other titles. The winner will be announced in late March. Assassination Classroom was ranked #1 among readers of Enterbrain's Otona Fami magazine for the "2012-nen Kore Yonde Manga Ranking Best 50" list.

BatDan

They don't put the SBS in the One Piece volumes?

Anyways, I'm reading the first volume of Nodame Cantabile. That's pretty good so far, I really like Nodame.

They do have the SBS in One Piece. I'm not sure what DTL is saying.

suzu

Anyways, I'm reading the first volume of Nodame Cantabile. That's pretty good so far, I really like Nodame.

Nodame Cantabile is great. One of my favorite manga.

The anime and live-action drama are pretty good too. It's also nice to hear the music.

7 Seeds 104-121

Finally caught up, really good series, though it seems that all the non summer b + ango/ryo groups are about to converge together. Really interesting to see where the plot will go from here, seems like the story could be getting close to the end.

Guess I need to pick up another series, I'm thinking about either Black Cat (know nothing about and never seen) or Shaman King (seen most of the dubbed anime, know general gist of how manga ends). Thoughts, suggestions?

Angry Grimace

I could get used to you being so tsundere for Food Smut. It's pretty amusing.

(DTL don't click this, spoilers!!)

Is it bad that when I looked at the definition, the first thing that popped to my mind was this scene in HxH?

I mean, there's nothing wrong with Iron Chef the Manga, but c'mon

Angry Grimace

I don't hate it either. If I hated it I would stop reading. Its my least favourite of the Big Three though and I think its funny that Mangaf will back and forth about the quality of Bleach or One Piece but nobody ever steps up to defend Naruto haha.

The number of people who read Naruto/Bleach on GAF is a significantly larger figure than the people who post in the Manga thread (just read one of the anime threads for either series and look at the number of people who state that they read it every week). I can think of a lot of reasons they don't post here and defend it (i.e. everyone constantly complains every single week that Bleach and Naruto are the suckiest things that ever did suck, so why would someone who likes either series without reservations post about it here?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom