• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamanon

Banned
I thought that was the bald guy. If that's Ikkaku then who the fuck is the bald guy?

Ikkaku is the bald guy. The one that has so much respect for Kenpachi Zaraki that he refuses to move up to Captain unless it's by beating him. That's why he hid his bankai.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
TQ0nxwy.jpg
No different from this

614633199.jpg

Except Oda took 2 pages to deliver the message.

Wait, what's wrong with Ikkaku now?
cuz hes a bleach character so we must all hate him, duh.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Ikkaku is the bald guy. It seems like Grimmy is actually talking about that other guy, who hides his real shikai and bankai.

Wait now two of them are hiding their shit? What the fuck, someone needs to stop going to that well and come up with a new thing.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I thought that was the bald guy. If that's Ikkaku then who the fuck is the bald guy?

Ikkaku is the bald guy that has a crappy three-piece Bankai and hides it from the rest of the Shinigami because he doesn't want to be promoted out of Division 11 (despite the fact that he was apparently wrong about that since Renji's still Lt. Jobber Extraordinaire).

Ikkaku is the bald guy. It seems like Grimmy is actually talking about that other guy, who hides his real shikai and bankai.

No, that's his best buddy Yumichika who's hiding his shikai because he doesn't want Ikkaku to not be buddies with him anymore. He doesn't have a bankai.

Ikkaku was hiding his bankai though so grimace isn't that off (until he clarifies).

Wait now two of them are hiding their shit? What the fuck, someone needs to stop going to that well and come up with a new thing.

Yep but he was hiding his shikai since he felt it wasn't "worthy" of a division who liked to fight.

Ikkaku hid his bankai since he didn't want to leave the division and his captian.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This entire discussion is proving my point really fucking well.

Its not screen time, its that those characters are bad. Ikkaku, Yumichika, Captain Dog, all of them. They're all bad characters with little more than a single character trait to describe them. The reason nobody complains about it is because nobody wants to see Ikkaku, Tit Lady, Captain Dog or Androgynous Guy fight anyone because there isn't any point to it other than showing fighting.

No point? I disagree. Iba knew about Ikkaku´s bankai, which means it was not a secret, and Iba taught him a lesson about putting the mission first.

Yamichika´s shikai is a kido type shikai which is very frawnd upon in the 11th division and we finally know why he kept it a secret, and his fear to get expelled from the 11th division.

Komamura is the best bro. In his fight with Tousen he showed how fiercely loyal he is to his friends. His thoughts about Tousen showed how much he cared for his friends

That's why I decided to become a true friend to you. If something sad happened in your life, I would be there for you. If something happy happened in my life, I would share it with you. If you strayed from the path, I would admonish you. If you committed an error, I would forgive you. If you found yourself in a predicament, I would provide a foundation on which you could stand. All in order to make this man that had lost his love for the world be able to love the world once more.

How can you say that this did not flesh more his character? You might not like him but that does not mean that he was not fleshed out in the arc.

Tit lady? Hallibel or Yoruichi?

This entire discussion is proving my point really fucking well.

I don't actually like Bleach though, so I'm not trying to disprove you.

It's nice when your manga has more than one character that can be described as "Tit lady".

Komamura is the best bro. In his fight with Tousen he showed how fiercely loyal he is to his friends. His thoughts about Tousen showed how much he cared for his friends

He should join Fairy Tail with dat depth.

Ikkaku was hiding his bankai though so grimace isn't that off (until he clarifies).

Yep but he was hiding his shikai since it wasn't worthy of the division who liked to fight.

Ikkaku hid his bankai since he didn't want to leave the division and his captian.

Yeah, I was thinking of Yumichika, who hid is real shikai. I thought what we saw of it during the SS arc was already the full form and what we saw during the FKT arc was his bankai.

Angry Grimace

No point? I disagree. Iba knew about Ikkaku´s bankai, which means it was not a secret, and Iba taught him a lesson about putting the mission first.

Yamichika´s shikai is a kido type shikai which is very frawnd upon in the 11th division and we finally know why he kept it a secret, and his fear to get expelled from the 11th division.

How can you say that this did not flesh more his character? You might not like him but that does not mean that he was not fleshed out in the arc.

They barely have any character to begin with. Adding that Yumichika was secretly hiding his shikai is character development, sure, but its an inconsequential development of a character nobody gave a shit about in the first place because there wasn't anything more to his character in the first place. You're arguing a strawman in the first place; it isn't that they aren't getting bits fleshed out, its that adding a single bit of characterization onto an otherwise completely flat character doesn't magically transform the character into someone interesting.

Tamanon

Banned
Yeah, I was thinking of Yumichika, who hid is real shikai. I thought what we saw of it during the SS arc was already the full form and what we saw during the FKT arc was his bankai.

Nah, the SS arc had him doing his shikai off-screen, the multi-blade look was a fake shikai he created. He doesn't have a bankai.

And Yoruichi never struck me as a Tit Lady, she was ninja-cat. But at least Bleach's female characters are in a much better place than Naruto's!

They barely have any character to begin with. Adding that Yumichika was secretly hiding his shikai is character development, sure, but its an inconsequential development of a character nobody gave a shit about in the first place because there wasn't anything more to his character in the first place.

I'd describe Yumichika more as a gag character, kinda like Franky.

Angry Grimace

I'd describe Yumichika more as a gag character, kinda like Franky.

There really wasn't something about his character that made it necessary to see him fight someone for 10 chapters and the payoff was inconsequential because of that.

Nah, the SS arc had him doing his shikai off-screen, the multi-blade look was a fake shikai he created. He doesn't have a bankai.

And Yoruichi never struck me as a Tit Lady, she was ninja-cat. But at least Bleach's female characters are in a much better place than Naruto's!

Nah, we saw his blades turn into tentacles during the SS arc. I'd pretty sure about that. It was right before the jump to the next scene.

Angry Grimace

Serious question btw:

Who do you guys consider the 5 most important characters in Bleach?

Beyond Ichigo I really couldn't say. Rukia hasn't been particularly consequential to the plot in a long time.

Tamanon

Banned
Serious question btw:

Ichigo
Urahara
Aizen
Kenpachi
Rukia

It doesn't do too many character arcs, and Ichigo is far and away the lead in the series. It seems to concentrate mainly on interactions for development.

They barely have any character to begin with. Adding that Yumichika was secretly hiding his shikai is character development, sure, but its an inconsequential development of a character nobody gave a shit about in the first place because there wasn't anything more to his character in the first place. You're arguing a strawman in the first place; it isn't that they aren't getting bits fleshed out, its that adding a single bit of characterization onto an otherwise completely flat character doesn't magically transform the character into someone interesting.

It´s not about Yamichika hiding his shikai, we got to know the why he does it. I´m not saying that all the characters are interesting far from it. What i am saying is that she got fleshed out in the war which what the guy said that side characters were not featured. Shunsui and Ukitake have gotten fleshed out in the manga. Ukitake with his honor thing, and the badge thing. Shunsui with his disregard for the rule of war because war is inherently evil, and getting promoted to CC. Unohana. I am not saying that these characters are interesting but saying that side characters were not featured is not true at all. Hell i dislike most of the shinigami except Mayuri and Komamura, and the shinigami are featured all the time in the manga.

He asked for the important characters, not for the hottest ones. Hitsugaya is completely irrelevant and always was.

It's really hard to come up with more than Ichigo and Urahara. Isshin, maybe, but that's where it ends.

Hitsugaya contributed greatly during the Ryoka Invasion arc being greatly implicated in the main affair between Aizen-sama and Momo as well as making the big discovery, additionally being involved yet again in the Fake Karakura Town and Fullbringer arc utterly destroying Yukio's advances. I think he is definitely an important character.

Nah, we saw his blades turn into tentacles during the SS arc. I'd pretty sure about that. It was right before the jump to the next scene.

No it was made off screen iirc.

Beyond Ichigo I really couldn't say. Rukia hasn't been particularly consequential to the plot in a long time.
But she just kicked some sense into Ichigo like a year ago when Ichigo got his shinigami powers back.

This whole character discussion reminds me of Plinket's Episode 1 review, where he asks others to describe the characters without mentioning the name.

caesar

Banned
Although I do read quite a lot of manga, I've never touched any of the big three. So. Many. Chapters.

Which is the most consistent for the first 100? Maybe I'll put it on the list.

Serious question btw:

The top 3 have to be Ichigo, Urahara, and Aizen after that it gets a bit more fuzzy. Rukia, Byakuya, Renji, and Kenpachi could all fight for those spots. I'll give the nod to Rukia for 4th by helping to basically kick start the whole plot and being the main driving force of the plot for the first 185ish chapters.

Angry Grimace

It´s not about Yamichika hiding his shikai, we got to know the why he does it. I´m not saying that all the characters are interesting far from it. What i am saying is that she got fleshed out in the war which what the guy said that side characters were not featured. Shunsui and Ukitake have gotten fleshed out in the manga. Ukitake with his honor thing, and the badge thing. Shunsui with his disregard for the rule of war because war is inherently evil, and getting promoted to CC. Unohana. I am not saying that these characters are interesting but saying that side characters were not featured is not true at all. Hell i dislike most of the shinigami except Mayuri and Komamura, and the shinigami are featured all the time in the manga.

The point is that this isn't interesting and it doesn't magically transform an uninteresting character into an interesting one, even assuming for the sake of argument that we had any reason to care about it in the first place.

No it was made off screen iirc.

But she just kicked some sense into Ichigo like a year ago when Ichigo got his shinigami powers back.

I'm failing to see why that was something Rukia herself actually did that her character was required to do. The entirety of it was a rehash of the lost Quincy powers super convenient solution anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom