• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soma

youka_naze_avatar_by_neoriceisgood-d5qb5n2.png

Yo! I think these are all the requests I got per note today, I hope I didn't miss any.

You know if you asked for it.

That was quick! Thanks again.

What's your avatar from Neorice ?

Also :

Mx0 volume 1 to 3
I'm haf enjoying it, half crying.
I don't like the French translation though, I find it too vulgar

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Can I just say that the avatars look really nice and you have a great style. I'd feel too cheeky popping in here and just requesting one so I won't even if AnimeGAF and ManGAF are like blood brothers.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
They really are reminiscent of that pixel art smash bros piece that was done during the dojo.

Pixel avatars and DTL unify AnimeGAF and ManGAF.

I never could get into AnimeGAF. That thread moves way too fast and anime takes too long to watch. It doesn't help that the manga is usually better than the anime adaptation. Less filler too.

Manga and ManGAF <3

It doesn't help that the manga is usually better than the anime adaptation. Less filler too.

Manga and ManGAF <3

Unless its an incomplete adaptation or they really ruin it, I always have the belief that anime is > manga, the voices, sound, and visuals really, especially padding out and improving events that arent focused upon. And even for incompelte stuff it at least sometimes sells me on trying some manga out, like codebreaker and soul eater.

Kurita

I'll always prefer mangas over their anime adapations just because mangas are the authors' own creations. Their art, their writing...
So many animes look exactly the same...

The Eyeshield 21 anime... You look at Murata's art and cry.

Kreed

Until Death Do Us Part 139-142:

That three way fight was even shorter than I guessed it would be. Disappointed Mamoru pulled the old "I wasn't fighting you seriously" ploy against the Black Unit, but at least we are getting a decent fight with Zelm out of it (looking forward to seeing what Zelm's weapon is).

I'm curious as to what will happen to the Black Unit once they are defeated now that Mamoru has agreed to not kill them. Of course I see them all getting locked up, but I could see one or two of them getting "redeemed" and coming back to help Mamoru at some point.

Gradivus

I never could get into AnimeGAF. That thread moves way too fast and anime takes too long to watch. It doesn't help that the manga is usually better than the anime adaptation. Less filler too.

Manga and ManGAF <3

Yeah, watching anime seems to come off as a chore for me. I don't know how people can end up watching all 500+ episodes of One Piece, Naruto and such after your high school years.

The past month I've been having a look through some of the mangas that got axed within the last 2-3 years in Shonen Jump (mostly the battle ones).

There is a decent amount of threads around the net with concerning about what's going to replace Naruto, Bleach and One Piece when the time comes.

Some tend to complain that most of the stories coming out now doesn't tend to carry something unique which makes them stand out from the crowd. I though Sensei no Bulge was pretty good with the space setting, but the boring build up of the story killed it (well for me it did).

While that just might mean that other mags might overtake Jump in the future, does anyone here have any opinions on to why the new stuff just doesn't seem to be appealing to the jump fans (Toriko and AC seem to be the only big ones the last 4 years or so from my memory)?

Kuroko's Basket, Nisekoi, Haikyuu!! and PSI Kusuo Saiki are doing good, too.

If they can get Kuroko's Basketball s2 out this year, and hopefully give those other two anime, then I think they should be able to have some popular manga end of the year.

Hopefully Hungry Joker is positioned to replace Bleach.

survivor

Banned
I'll always prefer mangas over their anime adapations just because mangas are the authors' own creations. Their art, their writing...
So many animes look exactly the same...

The Eyeshield 21 anime... You look at Murata's art and cry.

There are some cases when the author's own creation is crap, like K-On, but when put under the hands of a talented studio, KyoAni, you get something great.

Kurita

There are some cases when the author's own creation is crap, like K-On, but when put under the hands of a talented studio, KyoAni, you get something great.
How do you adapt a 4koma manga though?
I'm genuinely curious since I did not read/watch K-On.

Gradivus

Kuroko's Basket, Nisekoi, Haikyuu!! and PSI Kusuo Saiki are doing great, too.

Forgot about Kuroko. Not sure how big Haikyuu and PSI is, but Nisekoi doesn't seem to reach that 1,000,000 to 500,000 sales in volumes that most of the bigger titles do (not that smaller sales = bad title). Without those big hitters it's hard to give the smaller titles more exposure to make them more popular after all.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Manga and ManGAF <3

I'd say comedy manga benefit a lot of anime adaptations. The simple addition of timing can add a lot to a joke. I've heard this is especially true of Gintama since the voice cast basically makes Gintama what it is.

Of course manga is great for being more of what you like, especially when they cut a show short like Mitsudomoe.

I just find it easier to keep up to date with anime, but I'm still quite new to both worlds.

Kurita

I'd say comedy manga benefit a lot of anime adaptations. The simple addition of timing can add a lot to a joke. I've heard this is especially true of Gintama since the voice cast basically makes Gintama what it is.
I don't know...
I guess it is the case if you're fluent or Japanese it's funnier but when you watch it with subtitles you still laugh because of what you read, not what you heard.

Does my post even makes any sense, I have no idea.

survivor

Banned
How do you adapt a 4koma manga though?
I'm genuinely curious since I did not read/watch K-On.

In general, each chapter of K-On follows some narrative full of 4 panels jokes. So the anime just adapts the big picture of each chapter, take some liberty by adding extra stuff, and expand the story and give more depth to the characters. Not to mention god tier animations by KyoAni which shit all over the crappy 4koma art. And I also believe the anime ignores bunch of chapters from the manga and does its own thing for some episodes.

It's really a totally different experience watching the anime compared to reading the manga.

Of course manga is great for being more of what you like, especially when they cut a show short like Mitsudomoe.

I just find it easier to keep up to date with anime, but I'm still quite new to both worlds.

I guess it's some sort of book vs movie type of thing, except they can't screw up the character design. But then you have voice actors, that don't fit the role and things like that.

I know this sounds weird and I hate filler, but I'd probably prefer new stories for manga adaptations. Like a completely different story line.

scy

Manga is easier for me since I find it easier to pick up and put down multiple times per chapter as opposed to an episode. That and I tend to read a lot of things at work :x

I guess it's some sort of book vs movie type of thing, except they can't screw up the character design. But then you have voice actors, that don't fit the role and things like that.

I know this sounds weird and I hate filler, but I'd probably prefer new stories for manga adaptations. Like a completely different story line.

I kinda liked that with the 2nd half of the first FMA anime.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I don't know...
I guess it is the case if you're fluent or Japanese it's funnier but when you watch it with subtitles you still laugh because of what you read, not what you heard.

Does my post even makes any sense, I have no idea.

But you still have the benefit of timing and performance. I mean I don't understand a lick of Japanese but I can understand the tone of their voice. However when it comes to Gintama I am relying of hearsay since I don't want to read the manga because I like to go in fresh for the show. Sometimes seeing the punchline on the same page as the setup ruins the reveal. I'll admit I've only compared a few comedy anime and mangas, but I have found often the jokes work better in animation form. I suppose I do have to take into account I already know the punchline though.

On the flipside I'd say the JoJo manga is better than the anime. The show almost relies on you being familiar with the source material It's just nice to hear the characters, but I would hope anyone new to the series would check out the manga as the fabulous art is half of the experience and the anime has a long way to go to try and match that.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Anime is just too time consuming.

Plus I tend to like to do two things at the same time, like listening to music/podcasts while reading.

I kinda liked that with the 2nd half of the first FMA anime.

I haven't seen the anime nor did I read the manga, but I know lots of people got upset with the shift. Which is understandable, because they started with the manga story. I guess with longer shonen series it's easier to come up with new material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom