• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aporhism

Damn, Tomonaga's out already? Well that sucks. Dude was broken as hell and could have made for a great villain.

I hope that doesn't mean the plot point of taking down the school is abandoned, because right now they seem like the main antagonist.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
None of the girls are as awesome as Ayumi so there is also that.

Let's not forget that Ayumi was his first kiss (no, parents do not count) and according to all trope precedent, this gives her an advantage.

You just an Ayumi Fanboy

Fairy Tail

Really cool chapter for Elfman fans. I almost thought he was going to lose, but like Natsu (in the beginning there), when thinking of friends, their strength increases 100fold. Now we need just Gray to get another match so he can win and Gajeel too.

It seemed like the one they want is Lucy, Im guessing, an assault on the spirit realm?

I wish the movie page was translated, curious on what its about since it is fortunately completely different than that promo nalu image given before.

upandaway

Fairy Tail

jW1gb.png

Okay seriously? For real? Again? Can anyone explain to me how this number exists? Once every god dang month?

It's getting ridiculous at this point. I will pay money just to get Mashima and Togashi to hang out together once.

Because none of the other girls over the last 180 chapters have had a problem with the way he takes care of his business and if he actually means it, then his character is totally different than the way he's been presented since Ch. 1.

None of the other 180 girls have been told by her best friend he's a womanizer that was trying to get close to her with tricks and good words. She's just asking that he put some real emotion since she realized that all before that was just acting.

Solune

What?! There's no new chapter!

By the way uh the anime adaption is really good. Why did everyone freak out at the studio, it was fine.
Because it's directed like a SHAFT episode. http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=36691266&postcount=8128 which is... more or a less a good thing in this case.
TWGOK 184 - My heart can't take the Ayumi overload. And looks like best girl Haqua getting some time to shine.
We cannot be Nisekoi bros but, I can always leave it to TWGOK to give out brofists.
And in the anime adaptation, all of the girls are voiced by Rie Kugimiya
Only if the Kugilolis are like Taiga.
The correct type of fanboy.

If she doesn't win I will rewrite the ending. I'm going down with my ship.

Then you'll be known as some sort of "apprentice" of Wakaki, and I can be your DTL.

Aphorism 18-19

So happy someone picked this up. Rokudou other persona is quite brutal, he owned Tomonaga pretty easily.

It seems he is a previous student or has a connection to the school judging by Hinata action.

I finished reading Ohikkoshi.

Really loved it. I wish there were more Manga like that. Short, but still so much going on. And realistic.

Only similar mangaka I know are Hiroki Endo and Asano Inio.

Kinda sad to see that such manga dont sell well in the western countries... :(

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
TWGOK

Ayumi <3. It looks like Haqua is gonna prove why she is one of the best girls soon.

Fairy Tail

Elfman is a real man!

survivor

Banned

Really loved it. I wish there were more Manga like that. Short, but still so much going on. And realistic.

Hmm, now I'm interested. Gonna check it out soon

Hmm, now I'm interested. Gonna check it out soon

Those manga just give off the same "vibe". A more realistic, mature Manga.

Sometimes I just think I am too old for the "School-Comedy" Manga. But it really makes me sad to see those Manga sell bazillions here, while more mature manga seems to have low sales.
Sometimes I think that people with a similar taste of mine are quite rare in the "manga-culture" nowadays.

Too bad, since (about 12 years ago at least in Germany) the manga became big with titles like Eden, Blame, Battle Angel Alita etc.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Aporhism

Damn, Tomonaga's out already? Well that sucks. Dude was broken as hell and could have made for a great villain.

I hope that doesn't mean the plot point of taking down the school is abandoned, because right now they seem like the main antagonist.

Aphorism 18-19

So happy someone picked this up. Rokudou other persona is quite brutal, he owned Tomonaga pretty easily.

It seems he is a previous student or has a connection to the school judging by Hinata action.

curious, was that the undying dude at the beginning of 19 talking about being sad tomonaga was gone?

Zekes!

Sometimes I think that people with a similar taste of mine are quite rare in the "manga-culture" nowadays.

Eh, not really. There's definitely a reader base, but those kind of works are some what niche and appeal to an older audience (obviously). Those were the only kind of manga I read during my 4 year "break". One of the comic shops here only stocks those kind of manga, though their selection is quite small. Another bookstore here has a small comic section, consisting of more "literary" comics (I don't know a good term) and you can find a handful of more mature manga stocked alongside them and it's something I've seen before at other bookstores and such.

gunbo13

Popular manga in the thread or current obsessions just get a lot of play. That doesn't necessarily mean we aren't reading a lot of different stuff. Just keep your eyes open, especially on flawful's posts.

Lain

Depends on which western countries you look at. I don't think authors like Samura, Endo, Asano do badly in all the west, especially because, if they did, their works wouldn't keep getting licensed and published outside of Japan.

Its just...

... even if I see sales of manga here in Germany. Almost all the more mature manga wont have good sales.
A lot of them need to be cross-financed or sold for a higher price.

Lets just take What a wonderful World as an example. In Germany after it has been released the publisher said they wont ever release any more works by Asano again, because almost no one bought it.
There are more examples like that.

But if you see the sales-charts, you can see the normal shounen-manga, besides the 08/15 BL- and Shoujo-Manga.

It is quite sad to me, because I dont really feel like I am part of the "manga/anime-culture" or more like I am in quite a minority of the "culture".

It is not only manga, also anime. I am glad I bought Tezukas Buddha DVD in China with chinese subtitles, but I still cant understand why there are no english fansubs of it now. I mean its friggin Tezuka, but instead you can see even last year 3 movies of Pretty Cure were subbed.
An anime-movie based on one of the stories of the "inventor" of modern japanese manga wont get subbed, but 3 movies about some magical girls?

That is also one of the things that is saddening me, looking at how the "culture" looks now overseas.

I don't think authors like Samura, Endo, Asano do badly in all the west, especially because, if they did, their works wouldn't keep getting licensed and published outside of Japan.

Hm...
Mostly America and Germany.

I guess a lot of these titles arent selling that well. I know Viz decided to publish some Seinen-Manga a few years ago, but even the "ryhtm" between the volumes is too long to be considered that these are selling well.

It looks more like its cross-financed by better selling titles.

flawfuls

So you are just looking for compact manga targeted at an older audience? I think there is more stuff out there than you think. Like Zekes said that kind of stuff has its own kinda separate base.

As far a licensed stuff goes there are a few publishers who basically specialize in that sort of thing like Vertical, Ponent Mon and the Viz signature stuff.

As far as specific recommendations go

The Town of Evening Calm; The Country of Cherry Blossoms is incredible and everyone should read it.

Everything by Jiro Taniguchi is great and he has a ton of stuff translated. My favourite is probably Haruka na Machi e.

Taiyou Matsumoto is incredible and everything he has made has been genius. The stuff he has done that has gotten licensed is Tekkon Kinkreet, Gogo Monster and Number Five.

Then there is always Tezuka's more mature stuff like MW, Ode to Kirohito, Apollo’s Song, Adolf and Buddha

If you are willing to read unlicenced stuff I could go on for ages. I made a massive list of mostly stuff like this a while ago in this thread, but it is sort of outdated now and all the links are dead. It still might be useful though.

Already own almost all the manga you listed, but I thought The Town of Evening Calm; The Country of Cherry Blossoms was too "tame".

Liked Barefoot Gen more.

And of course I like to read unlicensed stuff. Thats what my iPad is for :D

Lain

Hm...

I guess a lot of these titles arent selling that well. I know Viz decided to publish some Seinen-Manga a few years ago, but even the "ryhtm" between the volumes is too long to be considered that these are selling well.

I see.
Didn't think they would do bad in Germany, personally. I know they do well here in Italy, for example. Latest Asano release have been Solanin and Punpun which is ongoing (I think everything of his has been released here? We even have "a girl by the sea" planned for release in the future), Endo has Meguru and soon a re-release of Eden in Perfect Edition format.
Naturally, they are authors with a smaller market compared to shonen/shojo authors and the new(old) BL craze, so their releases have higher prices.

I see.
Didn't think they would do bad in Germany, personally. I know they do well here in Italy, for example. Latest Asano release have been Solanin and Punpun which is ongoing (I think everything of his has been released here? We even have "a girl by the sea" planned for release in the future), Endo has Meguru and soon a re-release of Eden in Perfect Edition format.
Naturally, they are authors with a smaller market compared to shonen/shojo authors and the new(old) BL craze, so their releases have higher prices.

Oh. I didnt know these titles are even avaiable in Italy. When I was there about 8 years ago, I just saw One Piece in the bookstores.

Seems somehow I should learn more Italian. Ah, guess with perfect Chinese in the future, it also wont be a big problem *haha*

flawfuls

Already own almost all the manga you listed, but I thought The Town of Evening Calm; The Country of Cherry Blossoms was too "tame".

Liked Barefoot Gen more.

I liked the fact that it was so tame. Honestly I probably liked it more for the soft bittersweet atmosphere than the actual content.

Started reading Mushishi, this manga is so chill.

You guys should check out the anime. It's the best adaptation of any manga ever. Seriously.

survivor

Banned
Medaka Box 1

yawn

that is some boring garbage

dropped for now, maybe sometime in the summer when I'm bored and have nothing to do, I will torture myself to read the rest

survivor

Banned
Hm...

You know what pisses me off about Viz doing these seinen manga? Long time ago I was reading on Mania forums and one of Vertical employees was posting there about possible new licenses. One person suggested Asano stuff and the Vertical employee mentioned that Asano is a Viz guy so they won't try to bring his work. And Viz isn't even translating any of his other works. What a sad world

Why aren't you reading TLRD?
I don't read filth

scy

Medaka Box 1

yawn

that is some boring garbage

dropped for now, maybe sometime in the summer when I'm bored and have nothing to do, I will torture myself to read the rest

For what it's worth, it won't even be close to that same manga in about 14 chapters.

cosmic since you are the shounen expert, how would you rank the Medaka Box as a battle manga?

As a battle series, it's really all over the place. I usually value 3 things in the genre; tactics, scale, badass pages/shots. MB consistently has the scale down and usually has the badassery down, but the tactics are on a case by case basis. There are some fights that I absolutely love, but plenty are really asspully and have completely incoherent conclusions. I guess I'd say that portion averages out to above average-good.

However, when taking into account of more than just the fights, I would say it's a really solid series. The genre shift basically happened because of poor ratings, so Nisioisin decided to have a ton of fun with it and turned it into a kind of meta commentary on the genre. It gets some very intriguing 4th-wall breaking characters as well as a few super broken ones. In fact, it gets one of the best characters in manga IMO (he's been mentioned here quite a bit).

As far as genre-shifted to battle series go, I would put Medaka Box at the top, beating out Reborn, Negima, and Rosario. I hated the first 13 or so chapters too, so I would say stick with it. No promises of course, but that's how I see it. Definitely felt that it was worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom