• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as genre-shifted to battle series go, I would put Medaka Box at the top, beating out Reborn, Negima, and Rosario. I hated the first 13 or so chapters too, so I would say stick with it. No promises of course, but that's how I see it. Definitely felt that it was worth it.

Really?

For me Reborn has a more consistent quality, it's barely great but I enjoyed most battles. As you said Medaka has some high and lows, but when it gets low, damn it so bad.
(Kumagawa vs Medaka is the worst offender)

And yeah, Medaka Box is a really boring school comedy for 13/14 chapters.

gunbo13

Freezing (ch66-67)

-If you are going to escape, better dress in slutty outfits.

Huh? said:
NcCtt.png

What a fucking weird scene.

El Sloth

Banned
What did Dresden do to get banned? Anime thread? Chose Rei over Asuka?
TWGOK

When are you gonna open your eyes and and accept Chihiro as your lord and savior, Ignis?

-_-

Banned
Skip Beat: Kyoko can read Ren like a freaking book.

D.Gray-Man: Interesting that we're going to see Mana/Neah's past, don't know how I feel about Link's upgrade to main character status...I feel like Hoshino does well hyping readers for the next chapter with the last couple pages but then lets readers down with the slow developments.

survivor

Banned
As a battle series, it's really all over the place. I usually value 3 things in the genre; tactics, scale, badass pages/shots. MB consistently has the scale down and usually has the badassery down, but the tactics are on a case by case basis. There are some fights that I absolutely love, but plenty are really asspully and have completely incoherent conclusions. I guess I'd say that portion averages out to above average-good.

However, when taking into account of more than just the fights, I would say it's a really solid series. The genre shift basically happened because of poor ratings, so Nisioisin decided to have a ton of fun with it and turned it into a kind of meta commentary on the genre. It gets some very intriguing 4th-wall breaking characters as well as a few super broken ones. In fact, it gets one of the best characters in manga IMO (he's been mentioned here quite a bit).

As far as genre-shifted to battle series go, I would put Medaka Box at the top, beating out Reborn, Negima, and Rosario. I hated the first 13 or so chapters too, so I would say stick with it. No promises of course, but that's how I see it. Definitely felt that it was worth it.

Your hype for that character better be worth it cosmic cause I'm gonna suffer through that mess soon.

flawfuls

Crimsons 2

Is every chapter going to start with a water flea contemplating existence? I hope so.

CZnii.png

Oh and I love the fights in this manga so much.

VHXCY.png

Articalys

Medaka Box 141

JET BLACK BRIDE ARC

Oh boy, this is gonna be good.

edit: Apparently this arc was set up back in chapter 132, during a conversation between Medaka and Miyakonojo.

neoanarch

I don't think so, it didn't have any transition it was like BAM! now it's a battle manga with explosions and super powers and shit.

Yes it was. The way it was setup and the way it progressed plus the authors previous works and character genre savvyness. Lead me to believe it was always planned.

Medaka Box 141

JET BLACK BRIDE ARC

Oh boy, this is gonna be good.

edit: Apparently this arc was set up back in chapter 132, during a conversation between Medaka and Miyakonojo.

Yup they mentioned the seven suitors and Tsurabames father. I hope Zen isn't left on the sidelines for this. Would be disappointing.

scy

Zenkichi Box 141 - Devil President.

So uh ... I really do hope Zenkichi isn't tossed aside for the Jet Black Bride arc. Just seems a bit bizarre after the confession last chapter and all. Especially given what this arc seems to entail.

Azure J

Medaka Box 141

Interesting. Kinda OTT in the strange way, but interesting. I wonder how this will play out.

Edit: Almost forgot, the last suitor's family name (Yuzuriha) is oddly familiar. Have we seen it somewhere before in the manga?

The World God Only Knows

Ayumi is giving Keima the real runaround this time. Gotta admit though, Vintage stuff really didn't hit me until I saw them moving about in this chapter. Also Haqua battle, do want.

Zekes!

I don't think Zenkichi is going to be tossed to the side. He said he was going to talk to Medaka, after all. Plus we'll probably find out about his new student council soon.

neoanarch

Well consider this; Ayumi had the shortest arc in the series. It was just one chapter and I'm pretty confident it was fewer pages than even Nanaka's series. Wakaki is making up for lost time.

Remember also that Ayumi is his favorite.

Keima can't put his heart into it because he loves another.
Kanon

TLRD 9
oh man, I loved the way that girl pushed that other girl out the way when she saw Rito falling, it's like she was taking the body groping bullet for her.

Medaka Box

Oh lordy, I don't think Zenkichi or anyone else knew just what they were unleashing by letting Medaka be a "normal" girl. She's like a freaking tornado of teenage exuberance with nothing to hold her back anymore.

And it's awesome. Except for her Misty/Kasumi side-ponytail thing, I don't much like that. Surprised that she actually cut her hair in general.

Kusagari

Medaka Box:

Interesting chapter. Really weird shift though, especially with no Anshin'in considering last chapter.

I hope that her, Kumagawa and Zenkichi aren't left on the sidelines for this.

Bakuman

Odd to think it's really getting close to it's ending. I'm curious what'll come next.

WTGOK

Geez Ayumi really isn't giving Keima an easy time, it figures considering she's the last but ... I really wonder where this'll go.

Fairy Tail

I pretty much expected this. The first FT member that "shouldn't" win a match actually manages to gather FT's first "win". I love how predictable FT can be in it's attempts to try and be surprising.

upandaway

Medakamonogatari

HER HAIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

NISIO YOU FUCKING GOD DAMN FUCK SHIT CAPCOM ASS FUCK

HOW MANY TIMES MUST YOU DO THIS TO ME BEFORE YOU ARE SATISFIED

Zekes!

Yeah, so I was reading Freezing and the way they handled and wrapped up Satella's brother Louis was the first time I've ever felt insulted by something

I don't want to get too personal, but the way they resolved it was fucking retarded

0Clmd.png

Ippo... Yeah Miyata to hell with your mancrush, young blood is coming for you! I no longer wait for the match up of Ippo and Miyata but now it's the eventual Itagaki match up.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Yeah, so I was reading Freezing and the way they handled and wrapped up Satella's brother Louis was the first time I've ever felt insulted by something

I don't want to get too personal, but the way they resolved it was fucking retarded

Freezing is the only manga by that author I find even tolerable, but that part was so stupid I stopped reading it for a long time.

Medakamonogatari

HER HAIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

NISIO YOU FUCKING GOD DAMN FUCK SHIT CAPCOM ASS FUCK

HOW MANY TIMES MUST YOU DO THIS TO ME BEFORE YOU ARE SATISFIED

I warned you folks!

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Freezing is the only manga by that author I find even tolerable, but that part was so stupid I stopped reading it for a long time.

I read black god and maian, trying to read onihime, and fuck that unbalance bullshit. Such a waste of potential. Never reading a non sci fi book from that dude again(except for zero, a few days later and I'm still wondering what the fuck..)

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I tried reading some of his other stuff, but I never could get past the first few chapters, since the only story line he seems to know is violence, boobs, and rape.

Medaka Box

Am I the only one who prefers Medaka's new look?

Also, Nisio is going full on Ikuhara here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom