• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
One Piece spoilers

Cover is Saldeath and Sadie. They're now lovers. Saldeath has gotten really big.

Luffy expresses his thanks to Law; Law says it was a debt of gratitude. Luffy thanks him anyway.
Tashigi returns to normal, notices Smoker's condition and rushes to him. She sees his body and attacks Law. I think Smoker and Tashigi's bodies change places.
Law tells Luffy to turn to the back of the laboratory. What you're looking for is there. We'll probably meet again. There's something to be recovered, reciprocally (between two people. not sure which two he's talking about)." he says before vanishing into the castle.
Luffy's group runs from the Marines.
Sanji, in Nami's body, has his eyes turn into hearts. "Isn't there a camera somewhere? I've got to take a picture or something before switching back!"
Nami retorts from within Franky's body. Franky's aloha (hawaiian shirt?) is closed (buttoned up, I guess).
Franky complains about her buttoning the shirt, from within Chopper's body.
Everyone, including the children, complain about the cold. The severed head says to put a rock or a leaf or something on his head. He chants "Doron!" and coats and shoes for everyone pop out of nowhere.

The head is an ability user. He had been quiet about it until now because he liked looking at Nami's body.
The crew reunites.
Sanji, in Nami's body, peeks at himself (that is...her body). Nami, in Franky's body, punches him from behind. Luffy is surprised.
Sanji's group explains the situation.
While the explanation is going on, Sanji starts to strip.
Luffy's group laughs uproariously.
The head adheres to his lower half.
It's explained to Luffy that Law is a Shichibukai.

Smoker wakes up in Tashigi's body.
He starts smoking a cigar.
Smoker realizes that he recognized the CC mark. He's somehow living even with his heart gone.
He realizes it's the mark of Vegapunk's former colleague, the bounty-bearing Mass Slaughter Weapons Expert, scientist Caesar Crown.
This sounds like fan fic material.

Hajimete no Aku 95-102

Wow, this really did turn into a battle shounen. Special abilities, a couple of tense fights, training arcs; this is a full-on genre shift. I figured if it did happen, it would be with technology rather than legit powers. The foothold ability is actually really cool and could make for some neat fights.

This is pretty much following the same pattern as Reborn now. "Evil" organizations screwing around for 80+ chapters, then all of a sudden, battles! I wonder if this one was actually planned.

St&rs has been cancelled.

Whelp, that's disappointing. Still wondering where the hell the guy was going with it. I mean it could have turned into a battle series for all we know. The framework hadn't even been laid down yet, so it could have been anything from a space opera to a cosmic horror.

zeroshiki

I guess this goes under Manga news.

The new Adachi work announced in last month's Gessan now has a title, "Mix" and it will start serialization next month. The teaser image for it was 2 brothers(?) playing catch in front of a school which has a sign that you can make out as "Meisei Gakuen" :O

001_20120411134548.jpg

Fans are understandably super hyped for this. (Meisei is the school featured in Touch).

Could it be Tacchan and Minami's kids?! :O

flawfuls

The new Adachi work announced in last month's Gessan now has a title, "Mix" and it will start serialization next month. The teaser image for it was 2 brothers(?) playing catch in front of a school which has a sign that you can make out as "Meisei Gakuen" :O

001_20120411134548.jpg

Fans are understandably super hyped for this. (Meisei is the school featured in Touch).

A Touch sequel would be exactly the same as pretty much everything else he has made, but whatever. Awesome fan service is awesome. Even if it isn't a sequel any Adachi baseball manga has me super hyped as long as it is a real effort. He has been sort of half assing it since Cross Game.

Lain

001_20120411134548.jpg

That's interesting, though I wish he'd finish Q and A first.

zeroshiki

Q&A will probably end (is over?) because its serialized in the exact same magazine (Monthly Gessan). Unless they want to have 2 titles by Adachi serialized at the same time.

Just curious, have any significantly big/popular series ever been canned unexpectedly?

I have no clue what on earth St&Rs is, but it made me curious.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Just curious, have any significantly big/popular series ever been canned unexpectedly?

To Love Ru sort of fits that bill, legal issues forced it to be cancelled suddenly, fortunately it got resurrected better than ever before.

I'm not sure how significant or popular it really is, but it has a large enough fanbase and good enough sales to count, I think.

I think Shaman King is probably the biggest one. It had nearly 300 chapters when it was cancelled, though it did return later with a rather underwhelming conclusion.

flawfuls

Nana was a huge series (like Naruto level sales IIRC) and it ended abruptly because the author got injured (or did she get sick? I don't remember exactly).

I doubt there are cases of publishers themselves actually canceling big series. It just wouldn't make any sense for them to do that unless there was some special reason.

Khezu

Naruto

EMS is pretty underwhelming so far, itachi is schooling sasuke, and it doesn't even stop your eye for gushing out blood when you use it.

Kabuto says hes a closer to the sage dude then anyone else, and he has seen madara first hand. Kinda weird though since kabuto is just a second rate naruto, though that move he did was pretty slick, even if the fire reversed it, which by the way makes no fucking sense in any way what so ever.

Articalys

001_20120411134548.jpg

Twenty six years later, in fact.
The new series that manga creator Mitsuru Adachi will launch next month is set in the same high school as Touch — an earlier Adachi title that became one of the most popular sports manga series and one of the most acclaimed manga series in general. The new manga Mix will debut in the June issue of Shogakukan's Gessan (Monthly Shonen Sunday) magazine on May 12.

The story of Mix takes place in the same Meisei Gakuen high school as Touch, only it is set 26 years later. (Touch debuted in Weekly Shonen Sunday magazine in 1981.) Like Touch, Mix revolves around brothers, and promotional images indicate that Mix will also have the sport of baseball as a theme.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Would that there were a manga thread free of DTL's tired shtick forever. Naruto has been drowning in Uchishit for weeks now. I wonder if Kishi is aware just how awfully paced anything with all this eye hax nonsense is compared to when Naruto's off doing actually interesting stuff, or if his bizarre favouritism of a character he's regressed to the same crappy tropes three times over in the series clouds his judgement completely.

Good translation this week though, new people?

upandaway

Magi 91-92

Why does Aladdin.. put his stick there..?

I'm starting to think more and more Hakuryuu will get this. He looks ready for development.

Shingeki no Kyojin

Oh god dammit. Just a little lower down her neck and he would have nailed it.

I wonder if she can still harden her neck if her brain is not attached...

One Piece 663

Ahaha Sanji in Nami body deliviring the lols, surprised the samurai had a DF power.

Tashigi smoking is kinda hot and the gas guy is a colleague of Vegapunk interesting.

Jexemad

Kinda weird though since kabuto is just a second rate naruto, though that move he did was pretty slick, even if the fire reversed it, which by the way makes no fucking sense in any way what so ever.

A never-dying magical black fire that eats everything has moved the cave to its original shape. What doesn't make sense?

789shadow

Banned
One Piece

Wait, what's the samurai's power?

Also, this body switch thing is fucking hilarious.

Naruto

Fuck, flashback time.

Is Bleach on break this week?

upandaway

One Piece

Personality flips are the best.

Sanji was crazy. And Smoker was great too. I guess the cigarette seals the deal.

Still not sure I understand the samurai's power. Can he turn anything into clothing/disguise? That's so... well.. not DF-ish? Like, way more than Law's. Plus, he said it was an "unusual DF", and then all the scientists and Vegapunk nods...
This might be out there but I think we might get some DF info this arc.

I wonder if he can make everyone wear the suits that those lab guys wore. It would be a pretty handy ability.

Anteater

One Piece
Still not sure I understand the samurai's power. Can he turn anything into clothing/disguise? That's so... well.. not DF-ish? Like, way more than Law's. Plus, he said it was an "unusual DF", and then all the scientists and Vegapunk nods...

I wonder if he can make everyone wear the suits that those lab guys wore. It would be a pretty handy ability.

I think it's the Tanuki shapeshifting technique from japanese folklore, where a Tanuki would put a leaf on its head to disguise as other stuff, except the samurai could use his power on other people:

Tanuki in Japanese folklore are mischievous, lazy, cheerful and gullible creatures who use their supernatural shape-shifting powers to trick humans. It is often said that a tanuki would put a leaf on top of its head and chant in order to change its form into anything (for example, a monk). They are also said to try to con humans with leaves turned into banknotes, although Oroku prohibits them from doing this in the film.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pom_Poko

vareon

One Piece

Personality flips are the best.

Sanji was crazy. And Smoker was great too. I guess the cigarette seals the deal.

I don't know about other translations, but what I get is that he ate an "unusual fruit", which is just DF I think.

upandaway

I think it's the Tanuki shapeshifting technique from japanese folklore, where a Tanuki would put a leaf on its head to disguise as other stuff, except the samurai could his power on other people:
Oooh I see, that's pretty major. Guess his DF is pretty normal in that context.

My fault about just "unusual fruit" too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom