• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kreed

That is good at least we will be getting some better translations .
They had there problems but man it was better than what we have now.

Definitely, but I don't think it was smart of them to have an announcement about their new plans. They should have just formed a secret group and been done with it.

Definitely, but I don't think it was smart of them to have an announcement about their new plans. They should have just formed a secret group and been done with it.

Not their style. Mangastream is principled to a fault. They have some very strong ideas about ethics and they refuse to bend them even a bit for the sake of practicality. Instead of stopping when Viz threatened them, they could have formed a secret group then or distributed via torrent or IRC.
They didn't because that would have violated some of their core principles. We respect them for that, even if we've always been a little more pragmatic in our philosophy.

Zekes!

I'm hopping on this JoJo train; I'm breezing through Part 1 'cause I read it a couple years ago. I forget how far I got in to part 2, but I barely remember it so I'll reread it more thoroughly.

Also I started reading Lupin III volume 3 (as that's the earliest volume I managed to get), and so far it seems like the stories are only a couple chapters long so hopefully I'm not too confused by reading them outta order.

Not their style. They are principled to a fault. They have some very strong ideas about ethics and they refuse to bend them even a bit for the sake of practicality. Instead of stopping when Viz threatened them, they could have formed a secret group then or distributed via torrent or IRC.
They didn't because that would have violated some of their core principles. We respect them for that, even if we've always been a little more pragmatic in our philosophy.

I dont think is safe mentioning aggregated sites name here.

Jojo Part 3

These stands powers are pretty crazy and random.

I like how all three Jojos are different from each other. Jotaro is such a woman magnet.

Kreed

Not their style. Mangastream is principled to a fault. They have some very strong ideas about ethics and they refuse to bend them even a bit for the sake of practicality. Instead of stopping when Viz threatened them, they could have formed a secret group then or distributed via torrent or IRC.

That's fine when talking about why they dropped the Jump mangas initially and what they could have done after the original C&D was issued, but now they are picking the Jump mangas back up despite the C&D from Viz. Unless Viz took the C&D back or MS came up with some sort of agreement with Viz, I don't see how doing this is any more "ethical" than forming a secret group.

Mentioning scanlation group names are not against the rules of the thread as long as you aren't mentioning an actual site name or linking to a site, at least according to the original rules Duckroll/Shouta made in the OT4 thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31604111&postcount=241

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31604169&postcount=242...

Good thing that Mangastream isn't an aggregate site then. I talk about Red Hawk all the time, don't I?

That's fine when talking about why they dropped the Jump mangas initially and what they could have done after the original C&D was issued, but now they are picking the Jump mangas back up despite the C&D from Viz. Unless Viz took the C&D back or MS came up with some sort of agreement with Viz, I don't see how doing this is any more "ethical" than forming a secret group.
I think you misunderstand. Mangastream has its own internal code of ethics which they stubbornly adhere to. They don't ask or expect anyone else to subscribe to it but they take it very seriously. In fact, their beliefs differ pretty significantly from what the rest of the scanlation community tends to subscribe to, which is why they used to be resented by a lot of groups. I could describe their exact philosophy at length but it doesn't really matter.

I will tell you this: That was not the first time Viz had threatened them, it was simply a severe escalation that would have resulted in actual legal action. Hence why they were finally forced to capitulate.

Big One

Banned
Surprised there are people who are still new to Jojo. Shit is like the MANLIEST THING YOU EVER SEEN but also makes you gay in the process. I still need to finish Part 6 and 7.

Saki Achiga-hen 9

So, in this chapter, Teru continues to wipe the floor with her competition. Not one of them has yet won a hand in this second (and final, I believe) game, and none have come close either... and poor Kuro played right into another big hand. Come on Kuro, you only need to make up 18,000 points to finish in second and stagger into the final match! You still have a chance... maybe...

Oh, in addition, this chapter starts with another cameo from Nodoka. It's just a dream though, she still hasn't met them again yet.

upandaway

Belief & Sex 13b

1 - Stripping him and tying him naked to a tree
I'm afraid I'm gonna need further explanation, but okay, go on

2 - "Mom! The dried fish are ready!"
I'm sorry, I'm not sure I understand the concept behind what is happening right now. Please re-evaluate your-

3 - "Hey mom, is this string alright"
WHAT ARE YOU PLANNING TO DO WITH THAT STRING OH GOD

4- "THE SCUTES!!! THE SCUTES ARE STUCK ON MY NIPPLES!"

This isn't your average everyday smut...

This is advanced smut.

Unbreakable Machine Doll 16-20

Gah, this series just keeps getting darker and darker... it started out only moderately so; the main character was the only survivor of his village, and there was a dark undertone, sure, but it wasn't so bad... but then came the Cannibal Candy story arc, with multiple murders in it, and now there's an even darker story arc about a girl participating in the upcoming Night Party. And of course, the tension about the soon-to-begin fighting of the Night Party's affecting the tone too... those fights can end in death, after all. They don't have to, they can also win by taking the other person's item, but killing them is an option... I wonder if the series will do it. So far the people or dolls who are seen dead haven't died on screen, they've been seen after already being killed...

... Yeah, this house with its creepy basement full of dead children (clones? I don't know) in jars is kind of messed up. Yeah, this series has its dark side for sure. It's got some funnier stuff in it too, but that's mostly just on top of the tension.

Apart from that, apparently Yaya is a banned doll too. Huh... I can't be too surprised though. She does clearly have special powers. At least she's got a lot more independent will than a lot of banned dolls do...

I do have to comment on something, though. Naturally this early '20th century (somewhere up to or before the '30s, couldn't really be later than that I would say though no specific year is mentioned) British Empire high school has school uniforms that would fit in 100% perfectly with a 21st century Japanese manga high school... of course! And of course the girls all have short skirts, etc. (And yes, I know Britain had school uniforms... but not like those I'm pretty sure.) Yeah, Japan... why are highschools in manga/anime, no matter where they are in the world, always Japanese? It's almost always like this, and it's almost always stupid as a result. "Who cares about history or being accurate in any way to our setting, we're randomly tossing in modern day elements anyway just because we want to / we think the audience expects it!" isn't good design.

Apart from that though, this series is pretty interesting. Things are definitely getting tense, I kind of just want this Night Party to start... though now that we know the rules we know it'll take quite a while; it's apparently fought over 50+ days.

Just read Ultra Heaven.

What did I just read?

Does anyone know how far the mangaka worked on Volume 4?

Surprised there are people who are still new to Jojo. Shit is like the MANLIEST THING YOU EVER SEEN but also makes you gay in the process. I still need to finish Part 6 and 7.

I bought some english volumes a few years back.

Then I wanted to read the beginning, but sadly all the Scanlations at that time I found were... really uncomfortable to read. It was like 2 pages as one jpg, then really bad "typesetting" and looked kinda yellow.

Really turned me off.

Averon

Prison School 32

I wonder why they didn't just kick him out instead of making him sign a petition.
Also, no new chapters until November. Bah!

lordmrw

Have the Fairy Tail fans here read Rave Master?

Yeah I bought the whole series. Very good for a generic shounen series. It had a rough start, you could tell it was Mashima's first professional work but by volume 8 or 9 the long term plot starts to take shape. I remember when there wasn't a group scanlating it about 9 or 10 years ago, I joined a Yahoo fan group that posted raws and rough translations of most of the chapters. Obviously this was long before I discovered aggregate sites if they even existed back then.

That series became famous for its anime, so that would probably be a better place.
Though I can only assume the manga and anime are quite similar to the original light novels, would it not be more suitable here seeing as the novels are printed media like manga and not television or disc based media?

Though I can only assume the manga and anime are quite similar to the original light novels, would it not be more suitable here seeing as the novels are printed media like manga and not television or disc based media?

People over there are more likely to know what the heck you're talking about. That's all.

Noirulus

Crepuscule 1 - 30 (Webtoon)

Took a break from studying to read this.

It starts off building an interesting world, and then immediately falls into a boring drama between a bunch of shallow, dull and boring student council characters. The conversations can't be taken with any hint of seriousness - the characters constantly change personalities from one panel to another, they angst about random crap that the story doesn't explain to you (and honestly, it would still be boring even if it were explained) and in general, they're very one-dimensional and make you want to bash your own brain out as you're forced to read about their shitty conflicts.

The main character is sort of interesting, but the plot is a contrived and uninteresting political high-school drama so I can't see this getting any better. Dropped.

Tower of God (Season 1) (Webtoon)

I finished this a couple days ago, and just thought i'd put in some words.

Enjoyed this a lot! You don't really get to find out much about the ToG universe, but that's probably because it was very careful in handling its back-story, and we'll probably find out more as the series gets older. What I was most impressed with was that the characters all have interesting backgrounds, ideals, goals, etc. In every arc, the author fleshes out characters while having entertaining floor tests/battles.

Probably the most impressive aspect of Tower of God is that there are a ton of characters, but they are all very distinct in appearance and personality that you won't ever mistake them for anyone else. The comedy blended in really well, too. It's such a shame that i've only got 10 more chapters to catch up on (Season 2 has only got 10 chapters translated so far) ;_; The suspense at the end of every chapter just kills.

yep and its final :(

Jojo Part 3 End

;__________;
Kakyon!!!!!!

The last battle was very good stuff. I liked Jotaro more than Joseph.

The battles of this part were very creative and well executed.
I bet transfusing Dio blood in Joseph will be a mistake.

Tomorrow I will begin Part 4.

Jojo Part 3 End

;__________;
Kakyon!!!!!!

The last battle was very good stuff. I liked Jotaro more than Joseph.

The battles of this part were very creative and well executed.
I bet transfusing Dio blood in Joseph will be a mistake.

Tomorrow I will begin Part 4.

I never thought an opinion could be wrong until I read that, thanks a lot.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
GE Good Ending 123

And here we go, back to the grindstone.

Eeeh it's not that bad.

But seriously though, the moment Shou gets busy with something other than his boyfriend it seems like the universe conspire together to screw her silly, hahaha.

Cage of Eden

"I will burn my clothes too!"

"Don't stick out like that!"

Damn the author is really fond of inserting fan-servicey boobies and asses even in the seemingly darkest of situations.

Articalys

Eeeh it's not that bad.

But seriously though, the moment Shou gets busy with something other than his boyfriend it seems like the universe conspire together to screw her silly, hahaha.
Oh, I'm mostly referring to the fact that the lots conveniently paired up Utsumi and Yuki, and the oft-used trope of everyone peeking around the corner at the end and ruining whatever chance we had at more plot progression this week.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Oh, I'm mostly referring to the fact that the lots conveniently paired up Utsumi and Yuki, and the oft-used trope of everyone peeking around the corner at the end and ruining whatever chance we had at more plot progression this week.

Actually, if Yuki completes her sentence then we will have yet another "she still likes me" "we are in love" "what could that mean" bla bla bla bla bla that Utsumi already so often engaged in in the past... I wouldn't call that plot progression, more like going in circles all over again, hahaha.

Articalys

Actually, if Yuki completes her sentence then we will have yet another "she still likes me" "we are in love" "what could that mean" bla bla bla bla bla that Utsumi already so often engaged in in the past... I wouldn't call that plot progression, more like going in circles all over again, hahaha.
Ehh... I wish we hadn't just jumped straight back to Utsumi/Yuki shenanigans. Anyway, even if she had finished her sentence at least the dynamics would be a little different since Utsumi's a man now.

The series probably isn't worth this much breath to argue over either.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Ehh... I wish we hadn't just jumped straight back to Utsumi/Yuki shenanigans. Anyway, even if she had finished her sentence at least the dynamics would be a little different since Utsumi's a man now.

The series probably isn't worth this much breath to argue over either. Also I broke my own rule to stop using gifs as reactions to chapters, so if you could remove that from the quote that would be great.

It's a manga. He's going to dump Shou for Yuki, it's already done.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If there's any justice in this world things will build up again between Utsumi and Yuki only for Utsumi to kick her to the curb and gloat over her with his arm around Shou

It's not like Yuki really did anything wrong other than if they had gotten it on it would have abruptly ended the plot. At least, unlike KNIM, there IS a plot.

Air Gear 12-22
tumblr_m2lud8KrsA1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Overall this arc was fun. Ikki needs to stop running the air trec however the tricks he pulls off make it worth it to keep ruining them. 8 Kings or what not and that Spitfire makes the next arc seem really compelling. Only real issue I continually have is that all the "gangs" feel so huge.

Will resume with 24 since I skipped 23, naked bath chapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom