• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lain

Gekka Bijin vol 3
35a9301b30e2696f561e7d08b0ce709faab0682c.jpeg

Woah. Didn't think I'd feel angry about something in this manga, but the start of volume 3, with the
human experiments on the Empress
managed to piss me off.
The stuff about a
third imperial family that's on the Earth
seems interesting and it's already shown in this same volume how what Kiro believes and accuses Kaguya's mother of were all lies, probably fed to him. I'm already prefiguring some plot by the people in charge on the Earth.
The art for this is always good btw.

Gamaran vol 7
2427117fb540742dad224bd5f49590f485780a70.jpg

The fight with Gama was pretty cool, especialyl how it ends with the other dude dieing while still standing up.
The twist at the end was a bit infuriating on a fairness point. Now I'm curious to see what kind of person Gama's father is.

Skip Beat! vol 27
93847f6191e4a0977671ec26cc19c04837efb635.jpg

I know some people don't like how there isn't much going forward on the sentimental side in this, but I love it exactly as it is.
What I love most is seeing Kyoko acting and making either cool faces, sadistic expression or cute faces and, to this extent the way she and Ren go in circle does add to the charm, since it gives me even more chances to see Kyoko do what she does best.
The stuff about the butterfly was nice too.

It's not like Yuki really did anything wrong other than if they had gotten it on it would have abruptly ended the plot. At least, unlike KNIM, there IS a plot.

Air Gear 12-22
Overall this arc was fun. Ikki needs to stop running the air trec however the tricks he pulls off make it worth it to keep ruining them. 8 Kings or what not and that Spitfire makes the next arc seem really compelling. Only real issue I continually have is that all the "gangs" feel so huge.

Will resume with 24 since I skipped 23, naked bath chapter.

hello mangaf

we all made it

Wednesday is saved!!!!!

The weekend hasn't though (gunbo :( )

neoanarch

BLOOD LAD

Can someone stop scanning Good Ending and do this instead or how about stop scanning Air Gear.

At least I have that anime to look forward too.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
ManGAF Reunion arc is over.

Start of a new Wednesday arc!

Lain

Supplement vol 1
052325c88137b05e63e7715ef426366cdc836268.png

Woah, this was awesome. Apart from the character art, which is both nice to look at as well as sensual in its own right, the story in the first volume was the best part of it. Seeing this 27 years old woman dedicate so much of her life to her job while putting her personal life on the back-burner and what that entails is what's interesting, especially when taking into consideration all the problems she faces at her job as well, with canned project, set backs and everything.
The various relationships that form in the workplace also make for interesting situations, as Minami starts opening up to some of them after her relationship with her BF derails.

KHR 381

Although the ending was predictable, it is perhaps one of my favorite chapters. Getting my two favorite characters to team up and then the individual members to complement each others attacks was fun. I remember being angry that she had Ken (byon) taken out of participating, so having him deliver an attack in unison with Gokudera felt kind of epic, really. Mukuro can never get enough screen time. His attack was mindblowing.

I guess we will have some backstory for Vindice soon now that they have been revealed, hope its interesting.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
For Osamu Tezuka fans, what manga/graphic novels do you recommend (besides Astro Boy)? I've got:

- Ayako
- Apollo's Song

I'm thinking of getting MW and maybe Ode to Kirihito (but I prefer mangas that are bound as one already, like books 1 and 2 in one book).

survivor

Banned
For Osamu Tezuka fans, what manga/graphic novels do you recommend (besides Astro Boy)? I've got:

- Ayako
- Apollo's Song

I'm thinking of getting MW and maybe Ode to Kirihito (but I prefer mangas that are bound as one already, like books 1 and 2 in one book).

Buddha is pretty good

flawfuls

- Ayako
- Apollo's Song

Yeah MW and Ode to Kirihito are both great. Buddha is the best thing he ever did by far IMO. Adolf and Black Jack are also very good.

- Ayako
- Apollo's Song

Ode to Kirihito, Buddha and Blackjack is still in circulation, try them out.

Also, a compiled version of Dororo is in stores too.

scy

Skip Beat! vol 27
93847f6191e4a0977671ec26cc19c04837efb635.jpg

I know some people don't like how there isn't much going forward on the sentimental side in this, but I love it exactly as it is.
What I love most is seeing Kyoko acting and making either cool faces, sadistic expression or cute faces and, to this extent the way she and Ren go in circle does add to the charm, since it gives me even more chances to see Kyoko do what she does best.
The stuff about the butterfly was nice too.

Kyoko acting is always a plus. The Setsu arc (well, Violence Mission, is it?) isn't bad at all.

Supplement vol 1

North American Title: "Suppli"

Tokypop was publishing this as a pet project years before they went bust. Won some critical praise at the time, for whatever that's worth. It's obviously OOP but volumes 1, 2, 3, (4+5) can sometimes be found floating around. No translation team and no re-license means I've pretty much given up hope on seeing the remaining 5 volumes (although maybe that terrible Jmanga.com site will pick it up one day). Was hoping Chuang Yi Publishing might have taken a shot at it but their english language effort has really fallen down over the last year.

A shame, because it was a good series, but between that and Walkin' Butterfly failing to finish josei was pretty much doomed in english print

barbapapa

Yeah MW and Ode to Kirihito are both great. Buddha is the best thing he ever did by far IMO. Adolf and Black Jack are also very good.

My personal favorites are Ode to Kirihito, Ayako, and The Book of Human Insects. I've tried several times getting into Buddha (read 3 books), but it's just not happening. I prefer it when he gets dark, but then again I also didn't think MW was all that great.

Lain

You know, looking at the post history, there is no recent post that looks like a ban worthy one. It is kind of weird.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Thanks for the output guys, I went for Ode to Kirihito and MW. I'll be getting Dororo and probably Buddha when I'm done with those 2.

By the way, what do you guys think of Ayako and Apollo's Song?

Zekes!

Thanks for the output guys, I went for Ode to Kirihito and MW. I'll be getting Dororo and probably Buddha when I'm done with those 2.

By the way, what do you guys think of Ayako and Apollo's Song?

Neither are his best works, but they're both great.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
^ That avatar is from the icecream thread, yes?

You know, judging from his... preferences, I am actually somewhat surprised that icecream is not a participant of manga threads. Perhaps anime thread? Anyways, it seems like he or she would fit in nicely here, hahaha.

survivor

Banned

You know, judging from his... preferences, I am actually somewhat surprised that icecream is not a participant of manga threads. Perhaps anime thread? Anyways, it seems like he or she would fit in nicely here, hahaha.

Lots of people read manga if you go by the pick up thread but they don't post here. They must hate us :(

I see icecream around the anime threads but not that often.

Zekes!

Secretly, all of GAF would fit in here

Magi 94

dat Mor

Lots of people read manga if you go by the pick up thread but they don't post here. They must hate us :(

I see icecream around the anime threads but not that often.

Or they just don't like spoilers.

Thread just moves too fast, at least for me. I post here infrequently, but by time I get around to reading everything they have been out a few days and conversation has moved on. I've been reading the manga thread since the end of OT1 but probably only have about 20 posts across them all.

Also I probably read this thread more than I read actual manga, it's easier to do while at work.

Thread just moves too fast, at least for me. I post here infrequently, but by time I get around to reading everything they have been out a few days and conversation has moved on. I've been reading the manga thread since the end of OT1 but probably only have about 20 posts across them all.

Also I probably read this thread more than I read actual manga, it's easier to do while at work.

Too fast? Well I used to think so until I experienced the anime thread, like 10 pages in just one standard evening...

I think conversation on chapters is always worth bringing up, I rarely ever comment on KHR the day it comes out, heh Im even commenting on air gear pre 50s chp.

Desmond

It's not like Yuki really did anything wrong other than if they had gotten it on it would have abruptly ended the plot. At least, unlike KNIM, there IS a plot.

Air Gear 12-22
tumblr_m2lud8KrsA1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Overall this arc was fun. Ikki needs to stop running the air trec however the tricks he pulls off make it worth it to keep ruining them. 8 Kings or what not and that Spitfire makes the next arc seem really compelling. Only real issue I continually have is that all the "gangs" feel so huge.

Will resume with 24 since I skipped 23, naked bath chapter.

hello mangaf

we all made it
Welcome back :)
Welcome back peeps, maybe people will actually post now

We don't even know why he was banned, do we.
I heard he was posting about emulators, but that makes no sense as we have Dolphin threads etc

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I have no idea how you guys figured out what I was banned for and how long. It's almost creepy.

Naruto was boring last week. There was a flashback, so we can assume Kabuto will die in 3 weeks when he finishes this and then Itachi and Sasuke go "great story." *zap him with double eyebeams*

upandaway

Doesn't matter man. Just post about it. Plenty of times I post about chapters a good week after they were released and conversations start. Some people post their big 3 posts well into the weekend/start of the next week, and conversations start.

And besides it's just fun to read what people think about stuff, so I want you to post if you wanna post. Even if no one replies to them people read 'em.

I have no idea how you guys figured out what I was banned for and how long. It's almost creepy.
It's different when like 5 thousand people are banned at the same time like you guys were. When you were banned alone I don't think we knew for how long.

Morgianna

"Hello, 911? I'd like to report a case of the best thing ever happening.

Yes, it happened just now."

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Doesn't matter man. Just post about it. Plenty of times I post about chapters a good week after they were released and conversations start. Some people post their big 3 posts well into the weekend/start of the next week, and conversations start.

And besides it's just fun to read what people think about stuff, so I want you to post if you wanna post. Even if no one replies to them people read 'em.

It's different when like 5 thousand people are banned at the same time like you guys were. When you were banned alone I don't think we knew for how long.

Morgianna

"Hello, 911? I'd like to report a case of the best thing ever happening.

Yes, it happened just now."
Nope, someone had it exactly for the time and reason for that first one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom