• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erigu

[Hunter x Hunter]
I'm just saying that if Togashi decided to stop there, then a lot of people could (and almost certainly would) say that they'd "seen enough" and weren't willing to wait x number of years for a proper conclusion.
And I'm still not seeing the problem. Those people could just pretend the series ended with the last arc.

Big One

Banned
Tobi being Obito was so blatantly obvious that Naruto has become so bad that people think it's some random shit like Sasuke's dad or Future Sasuke. Nope, it's Obito motherfucker. Kishi got it right and it's still going to be a complete turd.

Erigu

[Hunter x Hunter]
It's a lot harder to pretend a series is over when the last voluyme basically says "You haven't seen anything yet!"
You would want an ending that says "that's it, you've seen everything there is, and the Hunters are all out of a job"? The reveal of a larger world works fine, even at the end.

Kusagari

No, I'm not. I'm just saying that if Togashi decided to stop there, then a lot of people could (and almost certainly would) say that they'd "seen enough" and weren't willing to wait x number of years for a proper conclusion.

I really don't know how any fan of the series could have been happy if it ended there.

All I'm going to say.

Averon

Speculation of Tobi being Obito has been around since Tobi was first introduced. How he survived having half his body crushed and grow up to be Tobi will be interesting in seeing how Kishi can explain that.

GG-Duo

Hunter x Hunter went on hiatus on a very weird note. It almost felt artificially expanded - I'm sure that kinda thing was explained in a Bakuman chapter somewhere...

neoanarch

Hunter x Hunter went on hiatus on a very weird note. It almost felt artificially expanded - I'm sure that kinda thing was explained in a Bakuman chapter somewhere...

It felt very similar to the Greed Island end. It could have ended right there if they left out the bit about the chairman's son.

thetechkid

So 2/3 of the way through Biscuit Hammer this is my summery of it so far: Hey remember when we pulled that Wolfwood on you? Well just wanted to remind you some more.

Erigu

I can't say I'm fond of the idea of a such a larger world... Makes Meruem look like an idiot, for one thing.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Bullshit on the Tobi spoiler.

Not discounting the possibility, but it doesn't seem likely at all that he would go from a chapter without Tobi in it at all to a Tobi reveal in a single chapter without any cliffhangers.

Princess Resurrection 83

So the final arc's starting. Probably for the best, the series has been wandering around aimlessly for what feels like ages now.

Tower of God 2: 23

"TN: I swear... if Rachel somehow went through puberty and became some hot looking girl... I'll fucking rage."

What is it with people and their unjustified hatred for cruel, calculating backstabbers?

Brynhildr 14

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh fuck!
Another graduate from the Gasai Yuno school of freaky ass smiles. Spoilers for the next chapters:
Not sure how I felt when it turned out she wasn't the nutcase that the author initially wants you to believe she is. I don't find her particularly interesting and I wouldn't have minded seeing her being killed off as an enemy rather than joining the group.

Kusagari

I've been half-expecting Tobi to be Obito for a while now, but it's going to be so fucking awful if it actually happens.

There's no way he can possibly have it make sense.

Another graduate from the Gasai Yuno school of freaky ass smiles. Spoilers for the next chapters:
Not sure how I felt when it turned out she wasn't the nutcase that the author initially wants you to believe she is. I don't find her particularly interesting and I wouldn't have minded seeing her being killed off as an enemy rather than joining the group.

I actually liked that since I'm a fan of enemy bait and switches (regardless of which side they wind up on). She does seem kind of standard though, so I hope they'll be something to set her apart from the other magic users. She does have an ability with a lot of potential, so at least that's good even if it puts little weight on actual character development.

Wiseblade

So Obito:

• Got out from under the boulder that crushed half his body.
  • Un-crushed half his body.
  • Learned about Ninetales and how to control him.
  • got strong enough to fight the 4th Hokage evenly.

Yeah, there's no explanation that can make this not unbelievably stupid.

Soul Eater 100

Hell yeah. I can't wait to see all of Spartoi in action.

D Gray-man

I lolled at the repair service. Motherfucking Apoclyphos.

Medaka box 1-74

Very good so far. Zenkichi Is a great character. I laughed so hard when his mom showed up. I thought she will be the school's doctor. It turned out that she was Zenkishi's class mate.

Noblesse

Hell yeah Frankenstein. He is holding his own against the Nobles.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
still got my fingers crossed for Sasuke from the Future

What kind of motives that Obito have against Konoha? That does not make a lick of sense. Especially after Obito's whole personality is about helping a friend is more important than the success of the mission.

Dresden

Mud - Yamashita Tomoko

That was pretty good; a cute one-shot about love and femdoms.

gBd41.png

Big One

Banned
I think Obito being Tobi makes perfect sense. For one you have to keep in mind that the logic in Naruto functions primarily on things happening because certain characters are connected. This logic, unlike other series like Bleach and One Piece which have connections that make sense, Naruto has these extravagant explanations mixed with retcon and straight up terrible writing for how things in the world are connected. The hints of it being Obito were pretty setup and have always been even though it was very subtle.

1. His hairstyle is similar.
2. Has only one eye (pre-Rinnegan), which only a very few Naruto characters fall under that are either presumably deceased or gone.
3. Obito has a previous backstory, so essentially we've already gotten a part of Tobi's backstory shown in the series, which is already a recurring theme with major characters in the series such as Orochimaru, Narutu, Sasuke, Kakashi, Jiraiya, and even Madara. This allows Kishimoto some leeway without having to completely invent another character.
4. Tobi being someone completely uninvolved in the central character's storylines would be rather anti-climatic and boring. Kishimoto is all about doing stuff to get an emotional response from readers, which Tobi being Obito will end up doing in the long run. No one would care if Tobi was Sasuke's dad or Madara's brother, but him being Obito would cause readers to get interested as Obito is connected to a previous storyline that hasn't been touched upon in a while.
5. All potential candidates such as Madara's brother, Sasuke's dad are all legitimately dead. Obito has the possibility of being alive since we never truly see him die nor would he die of old age much like Madara himself or Madara's brother.
6. This doesn't mean much, but I remember seeing a flashback where Tobi looked rather young and shorter, which implies that he isn't some type of immortal being that has been living a long time, but rather he's just some teenager pretending to be Madara.

Wiseblade

I think Obito being Tobi makes perfect sense. For one you have to keep in mind that the logic in Naruto functions primarily on things happening because certain characters are connected. This logic, unlike other series like Bleach and One Piece which have connections that make sense, Naruto has these extravagant explanations mixed with retcon and straight up terrible writing for how things in the world are connected. The hints of it being Obito were pretty setup and have always been even though it was very subtle.

1. His hairstyle is similar.
2. Has only one eye (pre-Rinnegan), which only a very few Naruto characters fall under that are either presumably deceased or gone.
3. Obito has a previous backstory, so essentially we've already gotten a part of Tobi's backstory shown in the series, which is already a recurring theme with major characters in the series such as Orochimaru, Narutu, Sasuke, Kakashi, Jiraiya, and even Madara. This allows Kishimoto some leeway without having to completely invent another character.
4. Tobi being someone completely uninvolved in the central character's storylines would be rather anti-climatic and boring. Kishimoto is all about doing stuff to get an emotional response from readers, which Tobi being Obito will end up doing in the long run. No one would care if Tobi was Sasuke's dad or Madara's brother, but him being Obito would cause readers to get interested as Obito is connected to a previous storyline that hasn't been touched upon in a while.
5. All potential candidates such as Madara's brother, Sasuke's dad are all legitimately dead. Obito has the possibility of being alive since we never truly see him die nor would he die of old age much like Madara himself or Madara's brother.
6. This doesn't mean much, but I remember seeing a flashback where Tobi looked rather young and shorter, which implies that he isn't some type of immortal being that has been living a long time, but rather he's just some teenager pretending to be Madara.

Cosmetic similarities and random trivia does not mean something "makes perfect sense". It's literally recycling an established character for shock value and fan-wankery.

Tobi being an original character makes far more sense and is way more satisfying than him turning out to be the guy who got half his body crushed by a rock in a flashback. It's the equivalent of Oda turning around and saying that Kuina didn't really die after falling down the stairs, but just got amnesia instead, ran away from home and joined the Marines.

Mael

Don't hate on Togashi so much. He could have taken a break from the manga to work on the upcoming anime movie. It's going to be an original story which he's writing. The "Phantom Rouge" film is probably going to tie in with the Phantom Troupe arc which just started in the new TV series. The news article says the "rouge" is a reference to the scarlet eyes of the Kurta Clan, and the "phantom" refers to the Phantom Troupe. The movie opens in Japan on Jan 12 2013.

WAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?
I need this...like yesterday!

According to a guy who's accurately posted Naruto spoilers in the past...

the return of Obito is upon us. disgonbegud.gif

Well, I hate to say it, but I guess even Naruto cant escape from my belief that all fantasy~ish fictional series end terribly. Assuming this reveal is true.

still got my fingers crossed for Sasuke from the Future

There are so many interesting things this theory would provide upon execution. Really dont see how, a year of Sasuke, would not enable this reveal.

Big One

Banned
Cosmetic similarities and random trivia does not mean something "makes perfect sense". It's literally recycling an established character for shock value and fan-wankery.

Tobi being an original character makes far more sense and is way more satisfying than him turning out to be the guy who got half his body crushed by a rock in a flashback. It's the equivalent of Oda turning around and saying that Kuina didn't really die after falling down the stairs, but just got amnesia instead, ran away from home and joined the Marines.
Yeah but the difference between that is that it's established that Tashigi has no relation to Kushina beforehand, while with Obito in the world of Naruto getting crushed by rocks is practically a cakewalk. Naruto still functions as a DBZ-esque manga, and you have to put yourself in that mindframe when reading it to really understand anything. Tobi being Obito is a incoherent mess that can only be understood if you put yourself in the place of Kishimoto himself. Because of this, if you really think about it, Tobi being Obito not only brings in fan interest and sales, but allows the story and characters to progress outside of, "WE GOTTA KILL TOBI TO SAVE THE WURLD!" It's a logical story decision that falls all right into place.

Bleach spoilers

Ichigo's hotline is still busy, this time Urahara calls Ichigo
This week's chapter mainly talks about the battle between Byakuya and the girl with 罗罗布 eyes - As Nodt eh? (罗罗布 is an emoticon created by Chinese people)
It seems As Nodt's ability is to make people fear ( witnessing an illusion of fear? to make a person noticed it's own inner fear?)
Byakuya saw Rukia turns into a white bone/white skeleton? (don't know if it's an illusion or misconception), As Nodt stab Byakuya on his chest
Rukia is in other places, noticing cherry blossoms scattered and says "nii sama"
Byakuya with his back facing the panel, his whole body covered in blood

Big One

Banned
Also if no one can tell, Tobi being Obito isn't supposed to be coming from the manga, but it's apparently something that happens in the upcoming movie. I don't think Naruto spoilers are out yet. It's also possible that Tobi is actually Shisui.

Erigu

Tobi being Obito isn't supposed to be coming from the manga, but it's apparently something that happens in the upcoming movie.
Well, not necessarily "happens" (I don't expect a reveal in the movie, personally), but it's mentioned in Kishimoto's plot outline.

It's also possible that Tobi is actually Shisui.
Apparently, the movie
goes out of its way to kill that particular theory

flawfuls

Mao Dante

GO NAGAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

This manga was kind of meh until the last 40 or so pages where go Nagai just started laying down the batshit insane.

Dante's amazing origin story

And then there were some other uh interesting revelations.

Promptly followed by the good old "war on god/demon army/end of humanity ending". Amazing how much use Go Nagai gets out of this one. lol.

dramatis

Supposedly issues 35-40 of Weekly Jump will have the Golden Cup manga.

35 has Goblin Night.
36-37 has Koi no Cupid Yakino Genjin (??? I am not sure this is the way to read 恋のキューピッド焼野原塵 ) (Love's Cupid Yakino Genjin).
39 has After School☆Idol.
40 has INPWEAR CODE.

Bleach
Did not really care much about this fight , going to be that way for most of the upcoming fights since they have to lose anyway .
How these chapters go fast so we can see the RG soon and the other new characters .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom