• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Isn't only the first volume of Sleeping Planet translated? I know nothing about the rest, sell them to me in a single sentence.
Itokoi Chidori said:
iBm34bX3sbo2c.png
Ubel Blatt said:
Lying Mii-kun and Broken Maa-chan said:
They say a single picture is worth a thousand words, so have 3000 instead.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm a little disappointed the last picture wasn't just a big black sensor bar.
I considered that but Lying Mii-kun and Broken Maa-chan is honestly a very good manga that deserves better than censor bar jokes.

Thud

I meant "translated this manga" sorry. I discovered it playing Jump Super Stars/Jump Ultimate Stars and always wanted to read it.
Thanks for talking about it in this thread.

Oh, I've haven't played Jump Stars yet (I do own one). I read Sexy Commando (Usuta's previous work) and went looking for more. The manga ended two years ago, so you would think someone finished translating it... but they have only covered 100 chapters and 335 are left. I'm glad someone is translating jaguar tho, it's funny as hell.

I want to see the ridiculous live action with Kaname Jun too.

Kurita

Oh, I've haven't played Jump Stars yet (I do own one). I read Sexy Commando (Usuta's previous work) and went looking for more. The manga ended two years ago, so you would think someone finished translating it... but they have only covered 100 chapters and 335 are left. I'm glad someone is translating jaguar tho, it's funny as hell.

I want to see the ridiculous live action with Kaname Jun too.

It seems to be as crazy as Bobobo so I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

thetechkid

Got a question about Beelzebub, I'm watching through the anime now and does it deviate from the manga at a certain point or what? Can I just pick it up from chapter X(whatever that is) and continue?

Taruranto

Started reading Eden: It's an Endless World! just now.

The setting seems interesting and i'm a sucker for Gnostic mythology/Religious references.

So now that I'm finished with Biscuit Hammer should I start Beelzebub, Pandora Hearts, or Medaka Box?

The ones that aren't from Shounen Jump.

Solune

Got a question about Beelzebub, I'm watching through the anime now and does it deviate from the manga at a certain point or what? Can I just pick it up from chapter X(whatever that is) and continue?

Can't tell you unfortunately thetechkid, most people would just say the anime adaptation is bad anyways.

Unless you watch it for the OPs or EDs which I would just youtube.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I liked Naru. In bursts. Her wishy-washy behavior is the stuff of goddamn legends.

Legitimately the worst character in manga - she never had a single reason to be upset about being into Keitaro. She was acting like a 12 year old.

Thud

So now that I'm finished with Biscuit Hammer should I start Beelzebub, Pandora Hearts, or Medaka Box?

Maybe a completed manga? Like Kekkaishi, Mx0, Ueki or even Psyren.

Beelzebub is pretty weird. No direction whatsoever. I thought that demon battle arc settled everything, but it looks like I was wrong. Not even the battles are serious.

thetechkid

Maybe a completed manga? Like Kekkaishi, Mx0, Ueki or even Psyren.

Beelzebub is pretty weird. No direction whatsoever. I thought that demon battle arc settled everything, but it looks like I was wrong. Not even the battles are serious.

I've already read Kekkaishi and Mx0, never heard of Ueki, and Psyren sounds dumb. I think I'll go with Pandora Hearts then read up on Beel.

Psyren v2 (8-16)

Bought the volumes since I liked it when it was in monthly print shonen jump. But I like how they have a small bonus chapter of sorts, character profiles, and an afterward. Quite a few of other jump manga, just glancing, like bleach, naruto, bakuman seem to just have story and thats it, :/.

Kabuto is still hilarious, and Oboro and Ageha are still cool.

You can, but you shouldn't. The anime censored A LOT, particularly Tojou's introduction.

survivor

Banned
Saint Young Men volume 4 coming this September, feels good man. [/brag]

Just curious, how localized are the translations for Saint Young Men? There was this post from a Vertical editor where he talked about why they can't bring over Saint Young Men and one reason was too many references.
Source
I'm sure I've said this before, but maybe not here at AoD...

For those who don't know I used to do work for Kodansha's Morning magazine in Japan before joining Vertical. So actually before I left to start my new position in the US I asked about some titles. One title was Chi's Sweet Home, which I eventually (but not easily) was granted; another was Saint Oniisan.

The then Editor-in-Chief of Morning Two magazine (who is now the Editor-in-Chief of the entire Morning department) immediately told me that Saint Oniisan would never be licensed in the US unless the readership here grows up. His concern was not about the superficial religious elements, but because of the heavy use of J-Pop references. And J-Pop in this case means everything from referencing Japanese newscasters and politicos to making mention of the current trends in fashion, music and Pepsi products. Heck one chapter was devoted to DS games, while another was about UniQlo and modern Tokyo accessories/hair styles.

More so than the funny relationship of Buddha and Jesus, it is the witty packaging of modern Tokyo life that has made this series a best seller in Japan. However, after speaking with translators here and editors over in Japan, there is a consensus that the title cannot be translated without endless notes. And in general we do not publish books that are not easily accessible as we would like all of our books to be appreciated by the mainstream. So a glossary of terms just doesn't work for us. It distracts from the reading flow and also often diminishes the impact of the jokes as well. (Mind you translating humor is an art in its own right).

That said, I was told by Kodansha that since I had a close connection to Saint Oniisan already, that the only person who could edit it in English would be me. So who knows now that the manga will be available in French (I wonder if they'll use notes or not) maybe we might do something in the future. We definitely have our eye on it...heh heh.

survivor

Banned
Again 19

Noooooooo, anon quit translating the chapters. I'm gonna into infinite sadness mode until the other translations catch up :( :( :(
tckcD.jpg

So that brings us to the end of the second volume and I guess reviving the cheering squad arc. There is still the practice part but don't think that will be the focus for the next volume. Imamura started showing signs towards Usami (took long enough) and they will probably expand that relationship in the next arc. There is the part about him trying to make the baseball team win so that will be interesting to see how he does that without freaking them out like Akira did in the previous chapter.

flawfuls

The full top 50 (it was even top 100 at a time) is only available for people who has a sort of subscription with Oricon. There's a 2ch thread where people compile the charts.
http://jbbs.livedoor.jp/bbs/read.cgi/music/3914/1105682256/

:eek:

Cool, didn't know anyone else read it on mangaf.

bhLAC.png

The colorpages are nice too!

Jaguar is cool. It kind of went downhill after the chapter length got shortened to next to nothing and the slow translations are annoying, but it's always a fun read.

Akito

Fuck yeah, "someone" has picked up Q&A again. It may not be not the best series from Adachi but entertaining nonetheless.

gunbo13

Legitimately the worst character in manga - she never had a single reason to be upset about being into Keitaro. She was acting like a 12 year old.
Naru is a nonsensical tyrannical mean nasty girl who is a poster for the enemy of men and not worth the effort in a million years to chase after.

Just my type.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Naru is a nonsensical tyrannical mean nasty girl who is a poster for the enemy of men and not worth the effort in a million years to chase after.

Just my type.

I totally get that it was played for laughs - I mean, the part with the trains following her, etc. was pretty funny. But in the end the suspension of disbelief about how manga characters act started to fall apart when you realized Naru didn't have any deeper reason to reject her feelings for Keitaro AT ALL. Like, its not like she fell in love with her dead husband's best friend or something. Keitaro was just a guy who was into her and she flipped out out and refused to just acknowledge it because tsundere.

Gantz

This series just keeps getting dumber, gladly it finally ends this year. That ,,rape'' scene with the little guy,.. just... wtf did I read? Just like many of the brutal scenes in the later series, it simply feels ridiculously forced for the sake of shock value or something. Obviously, nothing new for the series, but it never felt that unnecessary and stupid at the beginning.
But of course, the whole premise of the arc was stupid and awkward in the first place.
Also, I've got no fucking clue who that fangirl of the streetfighter dude is supposed to be :lol Can't remember her at all.

scy

Keitaro was just a guy who was into her and she flipped out out and refused to just acknowledge it because four more volumes $$$$$$.

:|

The last few volumes of the "will they or won't they?!" was pretty awful to be honest. Even the harem arcs after weren't quite as bad (though they certainly went off the deep end).

Foolworm

Finally started Five Star Stories vol. 9 after a looong time.

Every fucking time i read this.

The Chivalries is the best part of the series, I think - miniarcs describing monumental events in an overarching storyline is something that very few manga attempt to do (mainly due to scope and grandeur of Nagano's vision).

Except that the series has been on hiatus for about a decade. Hopefully there will be an announcement soon now that a release date for Gothicmade has been given.

Akito

Just wondering, is anyone keeping a similar chart but in English? Doesn't matter whether it's just on a website or an actual excel spreadsheet.
Not that I'm aware of, the next best thing would be the Oricon Rankings Thread at the Mangahelpers boards but it did not started till late 2009 and the full top 50 did not get compiled till 2011.

Gantz

I haven't read Gantz since the Giant Aliens invaded Earth. Was it ever explained what the point of the invasion was? How did we even win?

Aw yeah! The best josei manga in the fuckin world is being translated again!

Satanister

I never trusted those milkmen! Was only a matter of time before one poisoned it.

This tournament is going to be so damn awesome. So many crazy murders each with their own theme. It's like Suda51 mixed with a grindhouse film. Can't wait.

On to the next chapter eh mangaGAF lol

and for Naru it seemed she created lofty expectations yet Keitaro broke all of them by not reaching them and yet she was ok with that which scared the hell out of her.

Sounds kinda like when some single dudes have lofty expectations of what their desired girl should be and scoffs at any who doesn't meet them.

Mahorobo no Hibi 1
tumblr_m7fyonakNZ1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Thus far seemed to be a rather nice friendship story of cheering a friend up after he lost his cat. I hope Tetsu manages to be successful...and tell his feelings next chapter, and I hope Taka does improve. I like the character designs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom