• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.
TWGOK

Dat slap.
Chihiro *bows*
Katsuragi never fails to amaze me, dat ending lol.

TWGOK

all according to keikaku

TWGOK

Well I can sort of tell what Ignis' spoiler was about. Damn it man, I knew you should have spoilered that prediction. Everyone and their damn spoilers around here.

I love Keima's retort. Even staging clumsiness by falling off the horse, this guy is crazy. He's been on fire the entire evening.

hmmm

sounds like i need to return to TWGOK now.

Azure J

TWGOK

Of course you know this chapter puts Chihiro further up out of the realm of conquers and into the realm of Moderators with Elsie & Haqua herself now right? To jump in and just play a part without a day's worth of knowledge and help Keima out all in one? Impressive.
PIMP ASS KEIMA ON THAT HORSE = Powered up mode.

Steroyd

TWGOK

Dat slap.
bow.gif

Dat keikakku.
bow.gif

Dat horse.
bow.gif

America likes shitty things. See: Naruto and Fruits Basket topping in sales all the time.

Naruto v 54 in its 7th week selling more than One Piece v 61 in its 2nd week, and Naruto 55 too. Kind of wish One Piece could do a bit more here so they could justify bringing more of the special One Piece books beyond Color Walk 1 and 2.

Big One

Banned
Nah, America has pretty good taste. See: Sailor Moon consistently topping the charts.
Tbh Sailor Moon holds about the same level of quality Dragonball has.

Neat for nostalgia, but I don't think it holds up very well.

It's kind of typical to expect Sailor Moon to do so well, my point being. The only people who buy manga in the US are girls nowadays.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Tbh Sailor Moon holds about the same level of quality Dragonball has.

Neat for nostalgia, but I don't think it holds up very well.

It's kind of typical to expect Sailor Moon to do so well, my point being. The only people who buy manga in the US are girls nowadays.

Eh, Sailor Moon is better than One Piece. And the sales reflect that.

survivor

Banned
Nah, America has pretty good taste. See: Sailor Moon consistently topping the charts.

Sailor Moon had 2 volumes released in 2011 and with just that, it managed to be the 4th best selling manga of 2011. Very impressive

Also, it gives a rough idea of how the dead the NA manga market is. Sailor Moon volume 1 had a print run with 50k which sold out.

Big One

Banned
Yes and yes.
Let me tell you why you're wrong on every level possible.

1. Sales does not depict quality, and even if it did, One Piece has Sailor Moon beat. One Piece has sold more volumes in Japan alone than any manga ever worldwide. America's taste in manga is established to be complete garbage ever since Naruto started topping. Same could be said about Hollywood blockbusters that hit high in the box office of movies that generally people agree are garbage.

2. I don't think anyone can really say with a straight face that Sailor Moon is better, aside from nostalgia. Sailor Moon's art, story, character development, everything is simply not as good. Sailor Moon isn't as long as One Piece (well, pretty much a majority of shonen isn't) but aside from that I'm not sure how you could ever consider Sailor Moon superior unless you have dem goggles on.

Risette

A Good Citizen

1. Sales does not depict quality, and even if it did, One Piece has Sailor Moon beat. One Piece has sold more volumes in Japan alone than any manga ever worldwide. America's taste in manga is established to be complete garbage ever since Naruto started topping. Same could be said about Hollywood blockbusters that hit high in the box office of movies that generally people agree are garbage.

2. I don't think anyone can really say with a straight face that Sailor Moon is better, aside from nostalgia. Sailor Moon's art, story, character development, everything is simply not as good. Sailor Moon isn't as long as One Piece (well, pretty much a majority of shonen isn't) but aside from that I'm not sure how you could ever consider Sailor Moon superior unless you have dem goggles on.
Have you even seen Sailor Moon?

cajunator

Banned

Sailor moon is hnnng.
It is therefore victorious.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Finally read the latest chapters of girl by the sea. Don't like it as much as other Asano, but still some good parts.

k68RN.jpg

Risette

A Good Citizen
If it isn't nostalgia, then it's bad opinions. However I'm not going to assume that when it's better to assume that people grew up watching Sailor Moon on Toonami like I did.
"If you disagree with my views you have bad opinions!!"

Quality argument.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Quality argument.

He just forgot to add the link to his post:

http://instantrimshot.com

In all fairness, I don't actually understand the nostalgia for Sailor Moon. It isn't very good unless you just were starved for anime as a kid and it was the only thing on.

Risette

A Good Citizen
In all fairness, I don't actually understand the nostalgia for Sailor Moon. It isn't very good unless you just were starved for anime as a kid and it was the only thing on.
I've just started it recently (like, last week) so nostalgia for me is impossible. It's not AMAZING, but it has some really well-directed episodes and is pretty fun in general. If you're talking about the dub edit version then, welp.

Sailor Moon was pretty bad. But what do I expect from a thread filled to the brim with people reading "Aunt tits" or "Incest something something yaddayadda" >_>

Zekes!

I never knew ManGAF loved Inio Asano so much

I picked up Solanin couple years ago in a bookstore on impulse, and then sometime later I bought both volumes of It's A Wonderful World (didn't realize they were both by Asano until I got home). Dude's great.

Big One

Banned

Quality argument.
No that's not what I'm saying at all.

I just cannot comprehend how someone can prefer Sailor Moon over a good majority over modern series. Storytelling techniques have evolved, as has characters and storylines, all influenced by series like Sailor Moon. Sailor Moon is not some type of timeless prodigy that has aged like fine wine, it's a series that has a lot of aspects that don't hold up today whether you're talking about the anime or the manga. This isn't Akira, Ghibli films, Ghost in the Shell, etc. we're talking about. This is Sailor Moon, a series of dated paneling techniques and bad animation.

The only thing in Sailor Moon that holds up really well is the storyline and plot, but even then, One Piece imo still beats it there. The reason why I say this is because of how intricate the plot of One Piece is, as is the world setting, and how emotional the backstories are. I've never been straight up touched by the emotional moments in Sailor Moon, but One Piece has been bawling in tears over stuff as simple as a single character's backstory. To me, that easily makes it the better series, and having a unique style and world is also a major plus for me.

I'm not downing Sailor Moon, I still like it a lot, but most of my love for it is rooted in nostalgia, similar to DBZ. Maybe I'll give it another shot someday, but I think my opinion would probably be even lower if I attempted to.

survivor

Banned
Sailor Moon was pretty bad. But what do I expect from a thread filled to the brim with people reading "Aunt tits" or "Incest something something yaddayadda" >_>

So when you gonna start reading Aunt Tits?

I never knew ManGAF loved Inio Asano so much

I picked up Solanin couple years ago in a bookstore on impulse, and then sometime later I bought both volumes of It's A Wonderful World (didn't realize they were both by Asano until I got home). Dude's great.
We have a knack for good taste... Well we do when we are not reading harem ecchi trash.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I should mention that AnimeGAF had a "Let's Watch: Sailor Moon" over the summer of 2011.

Despite its flaws and episodic nature, it's a very enjoyable show with a lot of nuance, humor, drama, and delicious character interaction. Not to mention it singlehandedly revived the magical girl genre, and along with DBZ is one of the main reasons anime even exists in the West.

Considering most of you are only familiar with the DiC dub, it's no surprise you don't hold it in high regard.

So when you gonna start reading Aunt Tits?

You might as well join the club :p

Nevar. Survivor, you know I trust you on a lot of manga... but there's just some shit nobody can sell to me.

Right, and this thread is so awesome when everyone says "GLORY TO ODA" and "LONG LIVE ODA" and "GODA FOREVER"?

Hmm, let me think, what would I rather have: People gushing over one of the most popular and best shonen or talking about incest in manga-form? I really don't know...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom