• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lirlond

I'm looking for a new series to read. Preferably ongoing and preferably already in its prime. A few I've enjoyed are:

Magi, Psyren, Sanctuary, Crow, Yotsubato, Goodnight Punpun, Sun Ken Rock, Cage of Eden, Liar Game, Gantz, Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer, Urusawa's works, Ito's works, Fukumoto's works, Suicide Island, Yakitate!! Japan, Berserk.

I really enjoy survival manga, but closer to Suicide Island than stuff like Highschool of the Dead or Cage of Eden. It needs to have intrique or action, I'm not a huge fan of romance being the only thing holding a story. The larger the scale the better too, I'm a huge fan of high fantasy ( ASOIAF, WOT, Malazan, Discworld ), the more complex the better!

I'm looking for a new series to read. Preferably ongoing and preferably already in its prime. A few I've enjoyed are:

Magi, Psyren, Sanctuary, Crow, Yotsubato, Goodnight Punpun, Sun Ken Rock, Cage of Eden, Liar Game, Gantz, Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer, Urusawa's works, Ito's works, Fukumoto's works, Suicide Island, Yakitate!! Japan, Berserk.

I really enjoy survival manga, but closer to Suicide Island than stuff like Highschool of the Dead or Cage of Eden. It needs to have intrique or action, I'm not a huge fan of romance being the only thing holding a story. The larger the scale the better too, I'm a huge fan of high fantasy ( ASOIAF, WOT, Malazan, Discworld ), the more complex the better!

It's a bit old but if you liked Monster and Pluto I'd recommend Tezuka's Adolf. It's not quite the same but I still loved it as a huge fan of Urasawa's stuff.

If you want something manly with lots of fighting, read Fist of the North Star and after that Fist of the Blue Sky. The former is essential.

I'm not that familiar with survival manga but Battle Royale probably fits that niche.

Lirlond

It's a bit old but if you liked Monster and Pluto I'd recommend Tezuka's Adolf. It's not quite the same but I still loved it as a huge fan of Urasawa's stuff.

If you want something manly with lots of fighting, read Fist of the North Star and after that Fist of the Blue Sky. The former is essential.

I'm not that familiar with survival manga but Battle Royale probably fits that niche.

I've read all of those. I wish I could list everything, but it'd take a loooooong time...

Wiseblade

I've heard that the BR manga is kind of terrible. have you read it? What were your thought compared to the film/novel?

Lirlond

I've heard that the BR manga is kind of terrible. have you read it? What were your thought compared to the film/novel?

I haven't read the novel, but the film is, imo, better than the manga. The manga has some pretty bad pacing, everything is really drawn out and it makes it a tough read.

I've read all of those. I wish I could list everything, but it'd take a loooooong time...

:( I tried

Have you read Shamo?

Hard to say, I've yet to read the novel but I like both the manga and the film. I liked that the various encounters between the students got so much screen-time. The characters are also more fleshed out, especially Kiriyama is menacing as hell. The manga is pretty looooong though (15 volumes) and I guess it hurts in the long run but in the end I thought it was a worthwhile read.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
First Kishimoto, now Wakaki.

Who will be exposed next?

survivor

Banned
Love Collage vol 2

Ok, I can't do this. This is boring and not super interesting like TLR. I just can't read something tame like this anymore.

I'm tapping out of this manga gunbo, sorry.

What's my punishment?

suzu

DOROHEDORO
In a city so dismal it’s known only as “the Hole,” a clan of sorcerers have been plucking people off the streets to use as guinea pigs for atrocious “experiments” in the black arts. In a dark alley, Nikaido found Kaiman, a man with a reptile head and a bad case of amnesia. To undo the spell, they’re hunting and killing the sorcerers of the Hole, hoping that eventually they’ll kill the right one. But when En, the head sorcerer, gets word of a lizard–man slaughtering his people, he sends a crew of “cleaners” into the Hole, igniting a war between two worlds.

Or maybe humour is subjective.

It is completely subjective. It's just the choice in words seen sometimes that are so over the top. Not just about funny stuff, but when people like things in general. Or maybe I'm just jaded and don't know it but man the adjectives that are thrown around sometimes. Not a big deal though, why begrudge someone's happiness or enjoyment?

I had been reading it consistently, enough to get through the arc with Tokiya Mikagami, water sword such guy at the carnival, but then I put it on hold to marathon the reborn anime. Probably get back to reading it soon since it was really compelling.

Yeah I think you'll like that series over all. I enjoyed it and it was nice that it was already completed so I could just marathon all the way through. I don't remember when exactly that was, what number dragon is Recca on now?

Btooom!, Aphorism, Kamisama no Iutoori, Cradle of Monsters. But all of them are in the beginning.

Definitely Btooom! if you like Battle Royale.

survivor

Banned
Biomega vol 1

This manga is so much more easier to comprehend than Blame ever will be. Even though I still hate how it only focuses on the MC and what's exactly surrounding him with rare explanations of the settings, I still got the gist of the plot. Also the last chapter was so badass. They launch like 10 missiles in the sky to blow up bunch of cities and you know what the MC does? He fucking snipes the missiles in the air. Badass MC.

Oh yeah, this manga also has a talking bear with a sniper
w5NTk.jpg

Nooo you can't let him beat you!

Not like this!
You are the last man standing to fight against the evil of gunbo.

I wish you luck my nakama

Biomega vol 1

This manga is so much more easier to comprehend than Blame ever will be. Even though I still hate how it only focuses on the MC and what's exactly surrounding him with rare explanations of the settings, I still got the gist of the plot. Also the last chapter was so badass. They launch like 10 missiles in the sky to blow up bunch of cities and you know what the MC does? He fucking snipes the missiles in the air. Badass MC.

*adds to wishlist*

gunbo13

Love Collage vol 2

Ok, I can't do this. This is boring and not super interesting like TLR. I just can't read something tame like this anymore.

What's my punishment?
lol

Just pick something else from the list, drop it, or ask me to find something else. Or just read Oniichan Control. ;)

Biomega vol 1

w5NTk.jpg

You are the last man standing to fight against the evil of gunbo.

I wish you luck my nakama
hhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, is that a talking bear with a sniper?

I don't think people are actually praising other manga though, is my point, just discussion. But that's ok, I won't delve into it further since you're a TWGOK nakama.

I'm saying you need to post more!
and come to IRC

been busy and honestly i'm too lazy for IRC shenanigans. maybe one day though i will appear

Something something Ichigo... Bankai.

My folder keeps increasing in size exponentially.

lulz

Love Collage vol 2

What's my punishment?

Son i am dissapoint.

w5NTk.jpg

i forgot to check this out the last time.

Kongou Banchou 77

Cowardly Banchou <3 <3

Kurosagi (caught up)

Love the trickery that goes on in the frauds. I wonder how much this is grounded on real life.

Cerberus vol 1

This is pretty cool. Battle shounen with a cape/coat/piece of cloth that is also a dog. I really like the art.

EiRMF.jpg

Edit: Oh goddamit, the group doing it JUST dropped it. I hope someone else picks it up. Might as well read the 3 remaining translated chapters :/

gunbo13

Since I'm all about the drama around here,
lol
let me tell a quick story. There has been some discussion about the fine literary work we colorfully refer to as "Aunt Breasts." The basic question is why would you "enjoy" watching a guy feel up his aunt? Incest eww, feeling up lame, etc... etc...

I call it the "watch my character run in an MMO" effect. You see, when you play an MMO you can sometimes play for thousands of hours. And as a guy, you may not enjoy watching the backside of some gar dude for that duration. So you instead create a female so you can watch her backside. It's not like you are "hawking" her as she runs getting ideas, you just find it to be an improvement. Then you find that you can clothe her less to make the experience a bit more "vivid." It sort of devolves from there.

We read popular battle shounen, tasteful romcom like TWGOK, funny stuff from Beelzebub, drama in Lucifer BH, and more artsy manga. But do we need to read a bunch more manga that all resemble those? Do we need to really see the same power-ups, otaku references, gag comedy, friend slaughter, and weird art? Fuck no so shut it! Aunt Tits doesn't star my aunt, so I don't give a fuck. Instead of seeing the typical shounen gags, I'll laugh as the dude awkwardly makes out with his aunt. And instead of seeing out of proportion or stupid looking females, I'll take a gaze at the nudity in the trashy romcom. Rito can have my sword for grabbing a pair of boobs every chapter instead of some idiot big 3 rip-off MC who is 10 fuck ways from stupid.

So yea, some of us just like to look at the backside of a barely clothed female ninja instead of a fat dwarf with a battle axe.

How was that for a stealth post to get Glass Rebel to read Aunt Tits?

Scum

The World God Ignis Fatuus Only Knows

Oh wow @ Keima! Take a bow, son! That was impressive entrance! :lol

Zekes!

Hey...

how come no one ever told me about Yomeiro Choice???

A harem about where dude's 3 future daughters travel to the past to get their (high school aged) dad to hook up with their respective mom's to prevent them from not existing? Written by a primarly H author? Ooooooh boy!

gunbo13

No chance, because the plot is still "guy gropes his aunt so he can have sex with his cousin".
Wait, you mean that is the problem he has with it!? I thought he didn't like the drill hair...I don't even...
You are trying too hard lol. As long people keep posting about Aunt Tits, curiosity will strike.
I put my heart and soul into that post. If you look closely, all the punctuation is from my tears.
how come no one ever told me about Yomeiro Choice???
This thread needs some limits dude and the shameless quota is currently full. You have to stop the insanity to remind everyone that we read other shit too.

Like these manga which get almost no discussion and are not trashy romcom:
Accel World
Asamiya-san no Imouto
Fukashigi Philia
Love In Hell
School Shock

Zekes!

Does anyone have any recommendations for any good single volume manga published in English? I'm ordering Saturn Apartments vol.4 and Tezuka's Dororo right now, and since I have a bunch of gift cards I figured I'd try to use them up.

I was contemplating something by Natsume Ono, 'cause I really enjoyed her book "Not Simple". Any other suggestions?

survivor

Banned
Does anyone have any recommendations for any good single volume manga published in English? I'm ordering Saturn Apartments vol.4 and Tezuka's Dororo right now, and since I have a bunch of gift cards I figured I'd try to use them up.

I was contemplating something by Natsume Ono, 'cause I really enjoyed her book "Not Simple". Any other suggestions?

Get your money worth by buying Azumanga Daioh. Shit is massive.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Like these manga which get almost no discussion and are not trashy romcom:
Accel World

I dunno man, her outfit....

Speaking of totally not trashy romcoms, I can't be the only one reading Prunus Girl, right?

Prunus Girl 31

Maki is a total slavedriver to poor Aikawa.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Yea well, I addressed that in like 3 posts in OT4 already. Not a real outfit, don't stop from reading, etc... Still a shounen manga with way better character development then the rest of the stale bakery.

I think I've only said this in the anime thread, but I really disliked that accel world ruined it's good premise by cramming as many typical cliches of the romcom genre as it could.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom