• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT13| Don't bite the dog that feeds the hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

Smutterfly Effect 19 - "Yeah, you're right, I liked her! It's so easy!" -> "Oh she's going to sleep with her boyfriend rip, bad future unlocked"

3 chapters left.

Quixzlizx

Uwagaki 01-End

I really enjoyed this one. Although Ajio didn't handle it great at the time, he became boss-tier with his solution to the overwriting, and his swag caused everything to work out for him in a self-fulfilling way.

I don't think it really matters what name he chose at the end, since the main difference at that point was just some bittersweet memories of an ex. It just makes sense he's more attached to the name of the copy his love became mutual with. I prefer long hair, but I'm OK with it.

kasane

Smutterfly Effect 19 - "Yeah, you're right, I liked her! It's so easy!" -> "Oh she's going to sleep with her boyfriend rip, bad future unlocked"

3 chapters left.
Is this the dude that can see the future and his bestfriend killing him?

Akito

Sentou Hakai Gakuen Dangerous 14.2
What the hell.
grgNLsU.jpg

It's something special~

Nordicus

Hajime no Ippo 858-868

*deep beath*

Alright motherfuckers, let's do this.

So, it's nice to see Miguel Zail, Dankichi and Volg back again. However, it wasn't nice to see Kamogawa and Ippo ignoring the advice that trapping Wolly in a corner is no good. Volg is not a great in-fighter, but if there's one thing he has, it's fast combinations, and he couldn't keep Wolly trapped. I don't think that's something you can fix by just training twice as hard at it.

I mean, Wolly's a fast evasive jumpy guy, right? Have Ippo spar with Itagaki! This would have been the perfect moment to have Ippo finally learn to deal with Itagaki's annoying super speed and possibly at least learn what not to use.

C'mon guys, you were so focused on making Kamogawa gym a more exciting place, work as a team here!
The humor and just plain fun atmosphere still works even when the training doesn't
zsRudi5.jpg
9jpgKy1.jpg

mz0KUla.jpg

I bet the shippers went wild that day

So we get to the fight really quickly this time around, I think Hajime no Ippo usually takes more than 10 chapters from opponent reveal to the actual event. Then at the changing room, Ippo says he's preparing to this match by boxing Miyata in his head. No you dimwit, pick Itagaki!!! Miyata's harshly trained, serious, experienced, calculative, while Itagaki's a natural genius, he's carefree and very flashy, just like Wolly.

The fight starts, and we get a few briefs moments where Ippo seems superior because as fast as Wolly may be moving and punching, Ippo's mind is sharp now and his defense is almost impenetrable. Ippo's showing the same side of him that he showed to that one low tier speedy outboxer few matches back, at least briefly. Wolly shows his agility by using upward momentum of a small hop to minimize the effect of a blow from below, and escapes from Ippo at the ropes the moment he goes for a stronger punch.

Then when Wolly experiences his first down ever by having Ippo graze his face, Miguel shouts "Freedom", which is a sign for Wolly to drop his guard and apparently adapt his 100% natural stance. Apparently the somewhat textbook fighting he was using earlier was just holding him back. Then come the Bryan Hawk limbo dodges. *sigh* Fuck me. Thanks to that, Wolly lands his first clean punch at Ippo which only manages to annoy him a little.

I hated those dodges then and I hate them now, they seemed just too silly-looking for serious matches. I really really hope Ippo manages to develop a follow-up whenever Wolly uses it, because in that position Wolly should really be one decent hit away from a down. I'll be somewhat mad if this gives him trouble, he has seen the Bryan Hawk match with his own eyes!

Do you guys still think the Toriko art-style is atrocious?

The author approved a bit since the timeskip...
of course the muscles occasionally look disproportional

it doesn't look that bad

the fixed some stuff like Komatsu's face

The overall art style blends with each other now... if you look at the early chapters and now it is like day and night

It is more consistent now and everything meshes really well
the outlines and world is great too... Plus the beast are unique and sometimes majestic as F**ck

It's not bad... people say it is disgustingly ugly which feels like a major overreaction
It looks way better then the chicken scratch we get with One Piece sometimes

wonzo

Banned
that toriko art looks about as inexperienced as the underage prostitute the author was diddling

Swagamoto 13

the greatest love story ever told ;-;

Tonari no Seki-kun 56-57

I don't remember the last time Seki got so owned two chapters in a row. I sense a disturbance in the force.

Zai x 10 23

best new girl confirmed

Zephyx

Uwagaki 01-End

I really enjoyed this one. Although Ajio didn't handle it great at the time, he became boss-tier with his solution to the overwriting, and his swag caused everything to work out for him in a self-fulfilling way.

I don't think it really matters what name he chose at the end, since the main difference at that point was just some bittersweet memories of an ex. It just makes sense he's more attached to the name of the copy his love became mutual with. I prefer long hair, but I'm OK with it.

Might try reading this. Thanks.

scy

i actually made an earlier post about the chapter thats just not one word :p

but still hmmmm

Oh, so you did. Yeah, finally some discussing about things between them all. Which is kind of a shame that these sorts of things weren't just talked out before but, hey, needed chapters I guess.

also, friend x glasses girl

Might try reading this. Thanks.

do it for the goat

Seriously though, it's a pretty good read. Fairly short but doesn't feel _too_ rushed.

Negative Kelvin degrees of ice cold.
I guess wonzo really hates Shimabukuro for some reason.

iirc its not the first time (and i think i made a comment about his comment that time also lol)

Oh, so you did. Yeah, finally some discussing about things between them all. Which is kind of a shame that these sorts of things weren't just talked out before but, hey, needed chapters I guess.

also, friend x glasses girl

I guess its due to his change where instead of just fucking them and Misaki not being around he got more friendly with them while Misaki was around and that forced Misaki to change by finally confronting him.

Although it wasn't as clear since Masaki was making those Yandere/murder faces at the time LOL.

Now to see if that final page will fuck everything up (i will say no because i expect some happy ending here)?

Big One

Banned
I don't see a problem with Toriko's art style at all. All the characters look manly and badass. It's awesome. Harkens back to the day of a lot of 80's manga.

Why do people hate Toriko this much?

a) It's ugly.

b) Story is bullshit. Power levels are even much more bullshit. How characters power up is to the level of godlike bullshit. Scale of monsters have gone from Mother Snakes that grow to the length of the circumference of the planet to what have you now. It's like DBZ + One Piece without the fun.

Fairy Tail's worse but Toriko isn't one of the best shonen Japan has to offer.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I know that's not the first time wonzo has brought up Shimabukuro's prostitution charge. He always brings it up with the same amount of vitriol though...

a) It's ugly.

b) Story is bullshit. Power levels are even much more bullshit. How characters power up is to the level of godlike bullshit. Scale of monsters have gone from Mother Snakes that grow to the length of the circumference of the planet to what have you now. It's like DBZ + One Piece without the fun.

Fairy Tail's worse but Toriko isn't one of the best shonen Japan has to offer.

I don't mind Toriko's art. I've seen much worse (look up Shimabukuro's first manga, it ran the same time as One Piece when that started out)

I will agree that the series' power levels are bullshit

scy

Meh. I like Toriko's art since it fits the style of the story. And I like the power level shenanigans for a similar reason. It kind of fits. Besides that, it's all in good fun for it to keep one-upping itself.

Granted, the Starjun vs Toriko fight was pretty shitty for the constant one-upping within the fight but the complete over the top things in most the arcs? Just really fun.

Smutterfly Effect

i thought it was gonna go the usual path but that would have made Masaki an asshole. Guess it was more of a red herring?

Yeah. Unfortunately? Or fortunately? Dunno! It helps the whole "probably a happy ending" suspicion though that he wasn't completely mental though.

Mumei

Claymore:

Teresa is still a goddess; Pris fans (do they still exist?) finally suffering their comeuppance for their years of impertinent naysaying of Teresa.

20th Century Boys Volume 1 Wow this is 100x harder to follow than Monster. Is it worth it to read the entire series?

Yes. I think it gets a bit overrated at times, but it's a fun read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom