• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT13| Don't bite the dog that feeds the hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Today's Unpopular Angry Grimace Opinions™:

1) Kaga Kouko > Marika Tachibana
2) Nana to Kaoru is dumb
3) Chitoge is best girl
4) Don't care how dumb it is Kakashi got the Sharingan back

Soma

....I don't know why people like nana to kaoru either.

It's an interesting perspective into the BDSM mindset which is something that i had absolutely no interest in whatsover but you can tell that the author has experience and a genuine interest in it rather than just solely using it as a vehicle to bring the main characters closer to each other. There's a lot of information in there that I had no prior knowledge to before reading this and seeing what goes on in the mind of people who take part in such practices and how it would establish such a passionate following is something that's pretty interesting to me. Not something I'd ever want to pursue personally but interesting nonetheless.

and the art is good and there's a tanned sporty tomboy girl who takes part in the scenarios and if you can't understand why that would be enticing to people in this community then there's literally no hope for you.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's an interesting perspective into the BDSM mindset which is something that i had absolutely no interest in whatsover but you can tell that the author has experience and a genuine interest in it rather than just solely using it as a vehicle to bring the main characters closer to each other. There's a lot of information in there that I had no prior knowledge to before reading this and seeing what goes on in the mind of people who take part in such practices and how it would establish such a passionate following is something that's pretty interesting to me. Not something I'd ever want to pursue personally but interesting nonetheless.

and the art is good and there's a tanned sporty tomboy girl who takes part in the scenarios and if you can't understand why that would be enticing to people in this community then there's literally no hope for you.

oCiDr9d.png

Angry Grimace

Well, I disagree with three of the four. If we meet, will we eradicate each other out?

This is the same joke I make at every Italian restaurant when I see "antipasto" on the menu

Chariot

This is the same joke I make at every Italian restaurant when I see "antipasto" on the menu
Did a waiter already attempt to kill you?

If you meet, you two having a magical moment together would be my cue.

scy x Chariot
I am sorry, i already have a future harem. :(

The correct term for when matter and antimatter cancel out each other and turn into photons is annihilate. The more you know
Good to know.
Annihilate sounds way cooler, too.

edit:

I am going to start a few new manga series for a week long trip, I already picked Horimiya, Mob Psycho 100, Otoyomegatgari, Prison School, Joshiraku and Tokyo Ghoul based on this thread, but I wanna have a seventh, just to be sure that I don't run out while I am away from.
Sadly I lacking a good list of all the manga I already read and read, so just recommend anything. I prefer suger sweet shoujo, fighting shounen and silly humor.

Quixzlizx

I like Domina no Do and Nana to Karou, and I'm not even into S&M.

DnD was so absurd/stupid that I wouldn't even classify it that way, though.

How exactly does Black Label not spoil the main series, though? I haven't started it yet because I don't see how that could be true.

Zweizer

Banned
I am going to start a few new manga series for a week long trip, I already picked Horimiya, Mob Psycho 100, Otoyomegatgari, Prison School, Joshiraku and Tokyo Ghoul based on this thread, but I wanna have a seventh, just to be sure that I don't run out while I am away from.
Sadly I lacking a good list of all the manga I already read and read, so just recommend anything. I prefer suger sweet shoujo, fighting shounen and silly humor.

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun is great as far as humor goes.
While too gory to be considered a shonen, Kingdom has great fights and incredible scale as far as battlefields go.

I think you watched these two series' anime adaptation, but I recommend reading the manga as well, especially Kingdom, which had an awful adaptation.

Other recommendations for silly humor: Nickelodeon, Zai x 10. Sakamoto desu ga?, Hinamatsuri

upandaway

Good to know.

edit:

Fluffy shoujo:
Taiyou no Ie
Hajiotsu (<- this isn't actually shoujo it's seinen but shhhh)

Fighting shounen:
Sengoku Youko
I'unno

Silly humor:
Takkoku
Himouto

Chariot

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun is great as far as humor goes.
While too gory to be considered a shonen, Kingdom has great fights and incredible scale as far as battlefields go.

I think you watched these two series' anime adaptation, but I recommend reading the manga as well, especially Kingdom, which had an awful adaptation.

Other recommendations for silly humor: Nickelodeon, Zai x 10. Sakamoto desu ga?, Hinamatsuri
I am watching Nozaki-kun and want at least wait until the show ends. If I starting to read the manga I may loose the motivation of watching the anime. But I did both with Kingdom. I actually started with the anime and then went to the manga after the first season ended. I just couldn't wait until the next season. :D

I did get all the other manga you recommended though, thanks for the tips :)
Fluffy shoujo:
Taiyou no Ie
Hajiotsu (<- this isn't actually shoujo it's seinen but shhhh)

Fighting shounen:
Sengoku Youko
I'unno

Silly humor:
Takkoku
Himouto
I don't know any of this names, which is a good thing. since I already have plenty of manga now and Zweizer already gave me plenty of silly humor, I am just gonna take fluffy shoujo/seinen for now. Thanks! :)

Today's Unpopular Angry Grimace Opinions™:

1) Kaga Kouko > Marika Tachibana
2) Nana to Kaoru is dumb
3) Chitoge is best girl
4) Don't care how dumb it is Kakashi got the Sharingan back

Am I hallucinating. Like how is Marika best girl not better than Kaga. No why is Marika being compared to a insane person.

upandaway

Hatsume-chan ch4

It's getting increasingly frustrating to read these curry chapters in various manga. Just what could it possibly taste like? Is there really nothing similar? What about beef and potatoes stew. I eat a lot of that. Does curry taste like beef and potato stew?

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
kenkouki - 2

Fuck this manga. Trash, trash, trash. Glorious Not-Japan Empire of the Sun fighting a noble war of defense against imperialist white trash.

And even as a 'boy' it should be impossible for her. She's half the size of everyone there! And her shorts are too short! She's nothing but blush lines and boob shots. Trash, trash, trash.
I knew she wouldn't be fooling anyone by wearing booty shorts. Why isn't she wearing pants like everyone else? Isn't that the point of a uniform? She sticks out!

Dresden

aiyoku no eustia - 1~15 [end]

This is pretty dumb, and exploitative, but I liked it anyways. Filled the phantasy hole in my soul. The manga covers the prologue of the VN, apparently - the translations for the latter being dead - oh well. So it goes.

Zweizer

Banned
Never read it.

It's about an unpopular guy (S) and a popular girl (M) who are childhood friends doing SM play with each other in order to relieve themselves mentally. It has some great character relationship growth with the two realizing their own limits, weaknesses and strengths thanks to their "breathers" as they call them, and the various ways the BDSM's psychological effects are expanded upon are pretty interesting. Couple that with Ryuuta Amazume's great sensual art with plenty of blushes and lips, not to mention one of the best waifus in fiction who is also a tanned tomboy, and you can see why people with good taste like this manga.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

Good to know.

edit:

14 sai no koi
Tripeace
Sousei no Omyouji
Yondemasu Azazel san
Math girl
87 clocker
Ore monogatari
Lucifer and biscuit hammer
Tonnura-san

Akito

Unpopular opinion time: I usually avoid Ryuuta Amazume's manga cause I don't like his artstyle, the same for Boichi, Fukumoto and Hirohiko Araki. Now feel free to confess your sins.

Chariot

14 sai no koi
Tripeace
Sousei no Omyouji
Yondemasu Azazel san
Math girl
87 clocker
Ore monogatari
Lucifer and biscuit hammer
Tonnura-san
Thanks, I bookmark this, since I have already a ton of manga for the week. There is only so much I can ignore my friends.

Unpopular opinion time: I usually avoid Ryuuta Amazume's manga cause I don't like his artstyle, the same for Boichi, Fukumoto and Hirohiko Araki. Now feel free to confess your sins.
We're doing general confessions now?
Alright.

I've grown tired of lamp shading in manga and anime, especially when they doing the usual stuff anyway. It kinda works in a lot of nonsense comedies, when the straight man remarks that things are wrong. But that aside, I only yawn when manga point out boring clichees as boring clichees and do them anyways.

upandaway

I think people who know they have an affinity with stuff like Fukumoto's manga (mindgames etc) need to check properly and see if they can ignore the art to enjoy the manga, because if by chance it's possible then they'll get something really really fun out of it. I can see why the art is a detriment, but just saying.

Akito

Even Steel Ball Run?
It gets better sure but I never even got out of the part 1. Well it's not a completely lost cause though, I'm kinda waiting for a readable version of Stardust Crusaders before giving the series a real chance. No, I don't want to watch the anime.

I think people who know they have an affinity with stuff like Fukumoto's manga (mindgames etc) need to check properly and see if they can ignore the art to enjoy the manga, because if by chance it's possible then they'll get something really really fun out of it. I can see why the art is a detriment, but just saying.
It's not like I can never overlook "bad" art but some just rub me the wrong way. And yes, I very much enjoy the mind game genre but eh, I guess I have my fill with non-Fukamoto titles.

Soma

Yeah the artstyle is the only reason I have no interest in checking out the Kaiji/Akagi series. I know that it gets praised a lot and I'm sure it's certainly well deserving of all that but I'm just plain and simply not a fan of the art work.

Rhapsody

Banned
I'm continuing Prison School again. I don't know why, but seeing Death Note-esque art gets to me at the start.
Same thing happened with AKB49 (which I'll start back up after summer finals).

Theonik

Arachnid ch01-36
So this is a somewhat difficult manga to discuss. I decided to check it out after reading some impressions here.
I'm not terribly enthralled with it, but I don't think I hate it enough to drop it.
The premise is kinda straight forward, this orphaned outcast girl one day almost gets raped by her mean uncle, but is saved by an assassin who came to whack his sorry ass. The assassin tries to kill her too, only to be impressed by her innate skill which reminds him of himself, he takes her in and trains her in his ways. We find out these assassins imitate insects in order to fight. And by imitate I mean it gets really dumb. Because of reasons she has to fight these guys from the dude's organisation and for even more reasons this has to be a school battle manga so here we are.

This allows me to get to my first point. This is very stupid, but at the same time it doesn't 'feel' stupid, that is to say it's trying to be clever in its stupidity which means it fails at what it's trying to do coming out as dumb instead.
The most annoying dichotomy there is the insect traits. The show feels like a bug otaku thing to an extent but is at odds if the characters are the insects they are channelling or humans which I assume is to giver them cool powers because the author doesn't know of any other way to keep the fights interesting which come out as bad anyway. The bug otaku analogy further comes to life by some inaccuracies about some of the portrayed insects and the whole style in which they are used which feels like something a bug otaku would write.
At the same time it's not entirely bad, I suppose. It retains some legit dumb antics that do actually work. It only fails when it tries to be clever. I don't think they really drive it though.
Art is OK I suppose, not very good but not bad either. It's readable and some of it like picture 2 above can be very interesting which is why I might continue to look at chapters if I can be arsed.

Theonik

Yeah the artstyle is the only reason I have no interest in checking out the Kaiji/Akagi series. I know that it gets praised a lot and I'm sure it's certainly well deserving of all that but I'm just plain and simply not a fan of the art work.
Art you get used to, it's memorable. The real problem is FukumotoPacing(TM) Akagi has a single mahjong match dragged for 100 chapters with no end in sight as of this day with the manga in the backburner.

It's about an unpopular guy (S) and a popular girl (M) who are childhood friends doing SM play with each other in order to relieve themselves mentally. It has some great character relationship growth with the two realizing their own limits, weaknesses and strengths thanks to their "breathers" as they call them, and the various ways the BDSM's psychological effects are expanded upon are pretty interesting. Couple that with Ryuuta Amazume's great sensual art with plenty of blushes and lips, not to mention one of the best waifus in fiction who is also a tanned tomboy, and you can see why people with good taste like this manga.
Reading.

Jintor

Nana to kaoru: come for the smut, stay for the romance (and the smut)

At the very least it's one of the few series where the smut means something

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Arachnid ch01-36

So this is a somewhat difficult manga to discuss. I decided to check it out after reading some impressions here.
I'm not terribly enthralled with it, but I don't think I hate it enough to drop it.
The premise is kinda straight forward, this orphaned outcast girl one day almost gets raped by her mean uncle, but is saved by an assassin who came to whack his sorry ass. The assassin tries to kill her too, only to be impressed by her innate skill which reminds him of himself, he takes her in and trains her in his ways. We find out these assassins imitate insects in order to fight. And by imitate I mean it gets really dumb. Because of reasons she has to fight these guys from the dude's organisation and for even more reasons this has to be a school battle manga so here we are.

This allows me to get to my first point. This is very stupid, but at the same time it doesn't 'feel' stupid, that is to say it's trying to be clever in its stupidity which means it fails at what it's trying to do coming out as dumb instead.
The most annoying dichotomy there is the insect traits. The show feels like a bug otaku thing to an extent but is at odds if the characters are the insects they are channelling or humans which I assume is to giver them cool powers because the author doesn't know of any other way to keep the fights interesting which come out as bad anyway. The bug otaku analogy further comes to life by some inaccuracies about some of the portrayed insects and the whole style in which they are used which feels like something a bug otaku would write.
At the same time it's not entirely bad, I suppose. It retains some legit dumb antics that do actually work. It only fails when it tries to be clever. I don't think they really drive it though.
Art is OK I suppose, not very good but not bad either. It's readable and some of it like picture 2 above can be very interesting which is why I might continue to look at chapters if I can be arsed.

Oh come on, the bug traits thing is super fun honestly. Even the parts that didn't make any sense makes it up by being ridiculous.

Theonik

Oh come on, the bug traits thing is super fun honestly. Even the parts that didn't make any sense makes it up by being ridiculous.
Bug traits would be fun if it was presented differently or the show could decide if they are meant to be ridiculous or not, or integrated them into its tone properly. As it stands some are dumb fun, some are just dumb.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Bug traits would be fun if it was presented differently or the show could decide if they are meant to be ridiculous or not, or integrated them into its tone properly. As it stands some are dumb fun, some are just dumb.

Do you mean like when they show the bugs in some weird national geographic cutaway (which I find hilarious) or just the powers of the users themselves? Some are definitely better than others. Like when the prayer mantis dude is a praying mantis just because he has 2 scythes.

Shengar

Arachnid ch01-36

An usual failing that you usually seen in Japanese fiction. I know you like things, I know you have your own preference, but for love's sake at least matched it with tone and context and the story you write.

Kingdom Ch. 301
Kanki is the smuggest son of a bitch I've seen in a manga yet.

Even men are blushing.

Fragtime 11

Wasn't this a short series? Now they are wasting time going back in time in a flashback and with a part that really don't advance the plot: buying flashing panties on internet. No interaction between the two main characters in all the chapter, even.

Theonik

Do you mean like when they show the bugs in some weird national geographic cutaway (which I find hilarious) or just the powers of the users themselves? Some are definitely better than others. Like when the prayer mantis dude is a praying mantis just because he has 2 scythes.
Some of them are more like giant bugs than humans while others are like humans taking inspiration from bugs and the manga hasn't really decided which one it likes the most so the mechanics feel really cheap and kinda dumb as a result. As for presentation, the problem is that one way favours one idea while the other favours another and they clash with each other. It doesn't fit with the way the story is presented. It also feels more like a gimmick than something that the show is built around as a result. School battle manga with a bug otaku gimmick, when it could be a lot more interesting. It's more a sense of disappointment/meh I guess.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

Unpopular opinion time it is.
I have hard time seeing why clannad and anohana is the saddest story ever.
I enjoy it, but not that much. I don't like clannad ending, since IMO, it waste tomoya character development from useless dad into a better person

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom