• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT13| Don't bite the dog that feeds the hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I wouldn't call the way toriko does action, which is basically trying to one up each successive curbstomp by sudden power levels, as being good really.

In fact while I do like toriko I find its action super weak. The best parts of toriko is when they're off searching for new food and cooking it.

I wouldn't call the way toriko does action, which is basically trying to one up each successive curbstomp by sudden power levels, as being good really.

In fact while I do like toriko I find its action super weak. The best parts of toriko is when they're off searching for new food and cooking it.

Pretty much.

It's a good adventure series but a terrible battle shounen.

Kurita

Well it's fun when they're battling creatures yeah. Otherwise... heh
Big fan of the manga though.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I posted this over in the One Piece thread, but here's a coherent summary of the events thanks to Aohige (who really should come back here...)

North West city of Primula, a marine tries to stop the animals from hurting themselves on the birdcage by shooting them with sedatives.
Pirates are looting the city, while children cry over he fallen bodies of their parents.

In midst of the chaos VA Maynard gets a report from a marine soldier that the fight between Sabo and Fujitora ended in a tie.
This was hard to swallow for the VA, as Fujitora is an Admiral, the highest fighting forces the Marines have.
He finds something fishy about this outcome... but for now, Maynard focuses on bringing order to the chaos at hand.

Meanwhile at the palace, Dofla (a string clone?) and manipulated Bellay attack Luffy, who is hand-tied behind his back.
Luffy kicks them with Gomu Gomu Octostamp, but is kicked down into the caslte walls by Doflamingo.
He breaks through the entire layer of the castle, damaged.

Doflamingo continues to tell is tale.. of how cruel humans can become towards a fallen Celestial Dragon.
As he walks over to Law to start the execution, Law questions Doflamingo how he is able to have such political clout, such as using the CP0, when he is no longer a World Noble.
Doflamingo answers.. he has knowledge of a great "treasure" hidden deep within the holy city of Marie Jois.
The mere existence of this treasure can tremble the world. This knowledge makes him dangerous, but the Nobles were unable to kill Doflamingo due to his might. They instead decided to work with him, granting him the power.
Dofla continues, saying if he had the Ope Ope Fruit in his grasp on that fateful day, he could have taken control of the "treasure" and rule over the world!

That's how powerful the Ope Ope fruit is... but did you know that in the hand of a talented man, the fruit can even grant one of the oldest wishes of mankind... for this some consider this the ultimate devil fruit!
Law did indeed know what he's talking about. The ability to "operate" on a person to change him/her into an unaging immortal at the cost of the user' life...!

Dofla had no intention of giving the fruit to Law.
Even though Dofla's family gave Law everything he knows... swordsmanship from Diamante, martial arts from G Lao, cannon mastery from Gladius... Law turned on him.

Law gives gratitude for all that, and to Cora-san who is the reason why Law is still here (and alive)
He gives thanks to Doflamingo for giving him power to defeat him

Flashback...
Young boy Law stands in front of Diamante and Trebol. He says he has 3 years and 2 month to live.
He wants to kill as many people as possible in that 3 years of life.
The two officers laugh at how crazy the boy is. There are many kids who come to them, most run away crying within two days.

Buffalo and Baby 5, two children who survived and stayed with the family, greets Corazon as he returns.
Corazon slips and falls as he enters the building. The two children laugh, but is subsequently slapped by Corazon.
Baby 5 brings tea for Corazon, and he spews it out at how hot it is.

Trebol and Diamante asks if Corazon has finished the job, and to hand over the money if so.
The two explains to Law that this man is the true brother of Doflamingo, and an officer... despite his inability to focus and clumsiness.
He was traumatized in the past and lost the ability to speak.

They tell him he also hates kids, as Corazon grabs Law by the head and throws him out the window, onto a mount of steel.
He then lights a cigarette, only to burst burn himself in flames.
Law, hurt on the steel mount, vows to kill the man.

End of chapter, break next issue

"Feel the pain of Sabo and Issho's victory" was supposed to say "It was a tie"

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Mashima´s one shot Starbiter Satsuki

Of course there´s an animal sidekick, and fan service. Although the premise is predictable it looked ok,

Animal sidekick; creepy loli fanservice; inexplicable clothing damage.

That's MangaGAF Hiro Mashima alright.

Revo

God of Highschool 176

Holy shit, is this an actual desktop reader? Not supersized images? And the main site looks fine-pretty okay? Is this a dream?

Chapter was regular enough setup. Nothing good, nothing bad really.

how do the weekly jump ranking work?

It is generally people voting after an issue is released for their favorite series of that issue. The votes are counted and then the series are ranked according to the highest number of votes about 8 weeks after an issue has been release. So there is a time delay of about 8 weeks.

Also, color pages don't count as part of the ranking for that issue so we generally don't know where those series rank for that issue.

I also don't know how series that take a break for an issue is counted for either...

It is generally people voting after an issue is released for their favorite series of that issue. The votes are counted and then the series are ranked according to the highest number of votes about 8 weeks after an issue has been release. So there is a time delay of about 8 weeks.

Also, color pages don't count as part of the ranking for that issue so we generally don't know where those series rank for that issue.

I also don't know how series that take a break for an issue is counted for either...

wasn't there a thing of a new series being placed by the editors until the 8 weeks have passed

Wiseblade

Baby Steps 232

iypF7vjQv6w9C.gif

Rhapsody

Banned
I'll wait on better translations for OP. OP's already confusing enough with how much they build up and foreshadow at times, a bad translation isn't going to help.

Toriko

Toriko is so overpowered now. If the red demon does such damage and the blue one can kill a beast king, then the rest of the adventure into the gourmet world would be boring and predictable. I hope that does not happen.

dani_dc

One Piece 761

I miss the good old days of cnet128 translations.

Anyway, I'm curious about the flashback, Law had said that Donflamingo killed Corazon, but it now seems like Corazon might have sacrificed himself for Law instead.

Toriko 293

And everyone was dead.

There goes Neo hype.

Akito

Hinomaru Zumou 1
As stereotyped as the first chapter of a sports manga can get, except it's sumo this time. Art was not too bad but eh, I'm not very impressed.

KumaJG

Toriko 293

I am more surprise the blood in this chapter was somewhat tamed...Could me something? Maybe the author getting lazy :(

Bleach

The Ritters have no teamwork whatsoever
If you'd leave them alone they'd just all kill each other

OP

Man I need a better translation
Some stuff happened but the translation is waaaaaaay off

Toriko

"This is my mercy"

Never expected Toriko to massacre all of them

Plus Teppie was the only one to block o_O
Yooo Teppie beefed up

Also that backyard that the inner beasts have
Man they are living the life

Koe no Kitachi 53
I am happy that Ishida woke up. Is this the turnaround? Will some of the characters finally be likable?

Bleach 597
Love is dead. And so is Love Guy. Bach really knows how to pick his underlings. Sure they were just pawns and cannon fodder but they all seem really prone to friendly fire.

One Piece 761
All I could get from it was that Corazon was accident prone and hated kids. It's like reading Miiverse comments. And more backstory for Law. The translation is meh.

One Piece
So Corazon had Laws' fruit before him, for some reason sacrificed his life to save Law, and Law ate the fruit after. I forget, do fruits grow out of the dead bodies of their owners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom