• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT13| Don't bite the dog that feeds the hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gokukoku no Brynhildr 108-109

7584234g6jw3.jpg

Their relationship will be a stormy one.

I'm liking the Kana focus, but it's a shame she's being paired up with what's-her-face. Some of their interactions are making me nervous; if Kana ends up sacrificing herself for her or anything I'll be pissed beyond belief.

Reserving judgment on the new witch squad for now. The leader seems like an upstanding individual, but doll girl's already shown herself to be a loose cannon and megane's morals seem slightly dubious. Though sometimes that's a positive trait.

Mortemis

Banned
What I mean is that you can somewhat see a pattern on how Oda sets up an arc

with a evil dictator ruling a land.... said old rulers need help (sad backstory person)... separation of the Straw Hats .... and other things

it isn't extremely bad but the signs are slowly presenting itself

While I agree that OP's arcs are getting formulaic, your example doesn't work. Thinking back, this is the only arc that has an evil dictator ruling, the only other arc is the one island that chopper is from and that's a pretty small arc, if you can even count that as an arc. Maybe Arlong Park arc, Arlong was acting like a dictator to the people of Nami's island, but he wasn't really ruling. Separating the cast members is a basic trope in shounen manga, where each one goes off to fight their own individual battles. You can say sticking with tropes is bad, but its not really new in OP.

also what I mean about the characters is that their ambitions and effects throughout the world is what livens the story

Being able to use your characters to liven a story is good storytelling though. :p But yeah, I agree.

While I agree that OP's arcs are getting formulaic, your example doesn't work. Thinking back, this is the only arc that has an evil dictator ruling, the only other arc is the one island that chopper is from and that's a pretty small arc, if you can even count that as an arc. Maybe Arlong Park arc, Arlong was acting like a dictator to the people of Nami's island, but he wasn't really ruling. Separating the cast members is a basic trope in shounen manga, where each one goes off to fight their own individual battles. You can say sticking with tropes is bad, but its not really new in OP.

Being able to use your characters to liven a story is good storytelling though. :p But yeah, I agree.
I am not good at wording things from my mind but what I meant is a person is always imprisoning someone who is the kind ruler of the land
they had a unique spin on it for water seven but Alabasta, The Mermaid Island, etc.... had the same premise

Also I love the OP characters. Oda is really good at making great characters

and connecting those characters with each other makes the world interconnected and is a wise decision in improving the story I agree

Mortemis

Banned
Yeah, the only one I've heard of is Dorohedoro. Hope the manga there can move to different magazines or something, would suck to have to end things like that.

Soma

Nooooooooooooo not Nickelodeon ;_; (it's not like had an ongoing story or anything but still lol)

I need to catch up on Dorohedoro.

Soma

think i have a cool idea for a manga-related thread on OT

not sure how well it'll go down

will post after dinner

upandaway

think i have a cool idea for a manga-related thread on OT

not sure how well it'll go down

will post after dinner
Do you want us to act like we don't know you and be your viral marketers
You'll be so popular in OT man they'll put your thread in the archive and everything

Lain

sad for those effected

but I never heard of those series before

Then I suggest you check out Children of the Sea and Saturn Apartment for something more relaxed and with a bit of mystery, and Dorohedoro for action, violence and still some mystery.
They are all available for purchase in English (and I need to resume buying Saturn Apartment, given it's complete), with Dorohedoro also being scanlated and they are all quality manga, with some good to great art and stories.

I'd throw in Rideback as well but there's only 1 volume translated and it hurts me deeply.

Then I suggest you check out Children of the Sea and Saturn Apartment for something more relaxed and with a bit of mystery, and Dorohedoro for action, violence and still some mystery.
They are all available for purchase in English (and I need to resume buying Saturn Apartment, given it's complete), with Dorohedoro also being scanlated and they are all quality manga, with some good to great art and stories.

I'd throw in Rideback as well but there's only 1 volume translated and it hurts me deeply.

looking at the titles that you've listed they do seem interesting

very atmospheric and in depth story telling

Thanks for the recommendation will look them up :)

Sword Art Online Vol.1 Chapter 1-2

I only got this far before I couldn't bring myself to keep reading anymore.

It's definitely doing a terrible job trying to sell me why I should have kept reading. Felt pretty generic and blah blah.

Maybe I'll try Progressive but....I rather notttttt

Big One

Banned
So I'm curious about Zetman...after seeing the first major arc of "Act 1" has finally ended, though I'm not sure what that means.

Is it worth reading? I remember reading it a long ass time ago when it first got released. I stopped sometime after that arc where that one dude saved all of those girls from that trick house.

I also remember getting bored easily cause I wanted to just fucking see Zetman already in full costume. This never happened when I read it.

kasane

Sword Art Online Vol.1 Chapter 1-2

I only got this far before I couldn't bring myself to keep reading anymore.

It's definitely doing a terrible job trying to sell me why I should have kept reading. Felt pretty generic and blah blah.

Maybe I'll try Progressive but....I rather notttttt

is this the manga?

Big One

Banned
What's Sword Art Online's gimmick? Always been curious about this. Like I know Attack on Titan is has the gimmick of "dark series" cause, you know, it's never been done before. And I don't mean what the premise is necessarily but rather what makes it appealing to people.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
What's Sword Art Online's gimmick? Always been curious about this. Like I know Attack on Titan is has the gimmick of "dark series" cause, you know, it's never been done before. And I don't mean what the premise is necessarily but rather what makes it appealing to people.

It's wish fulfillment. That's it. Imagine Twilight, but for boys and you'll get the basic idea.

I'm pretty sure that's the exact page Scy linked to me when he was telling me not to read it (aka right before I started reading it).

if it's not I'll get the right one and replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom