• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT13| Don't bite the dog that feeds the hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big One

Banned
Dragonball Vol 1-16 FINISHED

Welp, I did it guys. I've watched/read this before but never quite sat down and purchased the entire series. I'll be getting the other volumes soon so wait for those to come.

Viz's translation is awesome, but some of the needless censorship kills it imo.

This whole series has a good sense of nostalgia and simplicity for it. A very light hearted adventure tone even in more serious moments like the Piccolo arc. Now let me give a rundown of the arcs in general...

Pilaf arc - This pretty much kick offs the series in tone. Taking from Dr. Slump before it, very light-hearted gag manga. In many ways this executes things a lot better in the series than the things after it. One thing I liked about this arc that didn't re-appear in the others, is the existence of the Great Ape. The series always had the looming threat of it, but I felt it should've been done at least once more cause it would've been fun to see Oozaru destroying the Red Ribbon Army.

Red Ribbon Army arc - This gives the series a more structured purpose. Now there's a Nazi-like group hellbent on taking over the world. It's Goku vs. the Nazis basically. Not sure where Toriyama got that idea for that, but it was fun regardless. Tao Pai Pai was awesome as was the stuff in Muscle Tower. Then the arc ends with the awesome fight between Tenshinhan and Goku in one of the best action sequences in the entire series. Awesome stuff.

Piccolo arc - This is when the series starts really taking a serious turn. Not only does one major character die, but two more as well. Well, it's not like we don't know they can't come back, but the looming threat of Piccolo destroying Shenron was there which gave the arc a dreading and intense feeling. Piccolo was just awesome and pure evil, a sense of evil I don't think the series captures as well in the future outside of maybe Freeza. Regardless, they kind of throw away the darker elements when they introduce Kami and basically restore the Dragonballs and restore all the lives lost. The arc, however, ends in probably the best tournament arc in the series yet, with a variety of epic battles between Tenshihan vs. Goku, Piccolo vs. Kuririn, Shen vs. Piccolo, and the final battle Goku vs. Piccolo. Overall, probably my favorite arc in the entire series and still largely remains today.

Overall: B+

As for everything else...I never outright read the entirety of the Z saga in manga form, so this'll be the first time I do so. So wish me luck!

Who in the Hell is Josuke Higashikata AKA JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 8 JoJolion 34

An entire chapter about Stag Beetles.
I'm sure Pucci and Rubber Soul are really happy right now.

I think this may be one of the most bizarre Stand battle(?) setups in the entire series and that is saying something.

Nozaki-kun 34

So Seo does care....LOL

i wonder when he will realize (since she does but is wringing it for all its worth). Plus damn her singing is super effective on him.

scy

So seeing that I've dropped akame ga kill for awhile now, has esdese actually turned into a sympathetic character?

I mean, there was a big deal early on about how she's irredeemable. But then Wild Hunt happened. So ... yeah.

But then like 40% of Wild Hunt died in the span of five panels so I dunno.

Nozaki-kun 34

So Seo does care....LOL

i wonder when he will realize (since she does but is wringing it for all its worth). Plus damn her singing is super effective on him.

Seo x Waka OTP

I'll cry otherwise.

Gintama 502

Seeing the Shogun finally get some character development

Edit: So crude this chapter... also Kagura having a fake Orochimaru mask killed me
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
00G
be43gXO.png
lol
Also special anime episode in November

limited time.... likely this could be a trolling attempt for another season (even though they said they were done)

Tadashikunai Renai no Susume 01-02

A virgin begins dating a hot girl cause she's interested in him for some reason. Turns out she likes dating virgins, sleeping with them and then dumping them right afterwards. Guy doesn't want to give up on his first girlfriend so he claims he'll make her fall in love with her while she claims she'll get him in bed with her before then.

Well then, let's see how long this lasts.

Mortemis

Banned
Gintama 502

Seeing the Shogun finally get some character development
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
00G
lol
Also special anime episode in November

limited time.... likely this could be a trolling attempt for another season (even though they said they where done)

Shiiieeeet. This could easily be trolling for a new anime season, but I'll just keep my hopes as special episode. I'd love a new season so much.

PK Gaming

Just caught up in Boku Girl

The smut levels were off the charts, which is a huge shame, since I was hoping the author would explore this scenario in a non fetishized manner. Still, the massive amounts of sexual tension between Mizuki and Takeru is interesting. Should prove to be interesting

:lol

Also shit is getting real with Gintama now

finally

Kagura's bro is here.... eyepatch dude as well.... and even evil Shogun

too lazy to name them

Mortemis

Banned
UQ Holder 42

So Negi's alive eh... forget that. More importantly, no one asked who won? Sure, Fate said everyone loved him a bunch, but who did Negi choose. Tell me ffs.

Btw, I was looking at the banners in the OP, and in the non-smut banner, now with Nozaki in it and now that I've read akame ga kill, I read 8 out of 10 and it's about to be 9 once I pick up mob psycho 100 soon. And after my dropping spree I'm now reading none of the manga in the smut banner. Feels good.
I know I'll eventually pick back up Fuuka, dammit Seo. :(

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
UQ Holder 42

So Negi's alive eh... forget that. More importantly, no one asked who won? Sure, Fate said everyone loved him a bunch, but who did Negi choose. Tell me ffs.

Btw, I was looking at the banners in the OP, and in the non-smut banner, now with Nozaki in it and now that I've read akame ga kill, I read 8 out of 10 and it's about to be 9 once I pick up mob psycho 100 soon. And after my dropping spree I'm now reading none of the manga in the smut banner. Feels good.
I know I'll eventually pick back up Fuuka, dammit Seo. :(

I don't think Touta knows about the harem.

Shiny Doll 01-02

Time for another shoujo series! Not a city girl suddenly gets the opportunity to change herself by a popular guy telling her she should be a model.

We have:
- Insecure girl who will definitely gain some self confidence by the end of this
- Pretty and popular guy who helps said girl
- Bitchy girl who's friends with the guy who of course likes him and is going to be bitchy to insecure girl
What more could you wanttttttttttttt

Busaiku

Am I the only one bothered with everyone's (besides Touta) treatment of Kuroumaru.
He identifies as a boy, but everyone straight up disrespects that. It's mostly just a gag, but it's forced on him so much, it's really annoying.
Well, really it's just Karin that keeps forcing the issue. Most others do drop it, I guess.

Mortemis

Banned
^Yeah man, that gag gets bothersome and annoying, I'm with ya. I would think that it would be a non-issue and something that wouldn't be joked about, but hey, mangas always gotta have poor gags.

I don't think Touta knows about the harem.

I was talking more about short-haired girl's question, but yeah it wouldn't make sense for any of those four to ask about the harem. I just wanna know. :/

Mortemis

Banned
Waiiiiit

Negi is alive? UQ holder will be retconned into a stealth negima sequel

Why do you think we're reading this, because we're interested in Touta? lolol

I'm waiting for this to happen. Touta's just a plot device to get Negi back and start up harem hijinks sequel: starring old ladies going after what looks like a teen.

_hekk05

Banned
Am I the only one bothered with everyone's (besides Touta) treatment of Kuroumaru.
He identifies as a boy, but everyone straight up disrespects that. It's mostly just a gag, but it's forced on him so much, it's really annoying.
Well, really it's just Karin that keeps forcing the issue. Most others do drop it, I guess.

You should read chapter 43 when it comes out

Waiiiiit

Negi is alive? UQ holder will be retconned into a stealth negima sequel

So should you

Tsugumomo 31 - 32

hmmm interesting info has been revealed and i wonder how he'll deal with it.

also lol at finally seeing this Sunao (shonen defeat lesson in full play here so don't worry) focused volume being translated. Her parents are pretty broken and hilarious.

kasane

I'm waiting for this to happen. Touta's just a plot device to get Negi back and start up harem hijinks sequel: starring old ladies going after what looks like a teen.
Exactly. Lol

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Is Jack Rakan coming back? He was far and away the best part of that universe, dude was broken as SHIT.

Mortemis

Banned
Is Jack Rakan coming back? He was far and away the best part of that universe, dude was broken as SHIT.

God I hope so. The moment Rakan showed up in Negima was the moment shit got good. The same can happen for this.

I'm sure he'll come back. I doubt he's dead, dude got erased from existence and yet still forced his way back.

kasane

I would just assume that uq is gundam seed destiny. We get a shit mc just to prepare us for the glorious return of jesus

upandaway

10/10

Gonna post this in my one page thread.
I still haven't looked at that thread, I like it because with the names in the post by turning off pictures I don't have to look at pages from manga in my wishlist (spoilers are my only problem with these kinds of recommendations). Really nice idea.

Though from what I did see, some posts kinda miss the point that there's no context (like that Kumagawa page)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
God I hope so. The moment Rakan showed up in Negima was the moment shit got good. The same can happen for this.

I'm sure he'll come back. I doubt he's dead, dude got erased from existence and yet still forced his way back.

For real, dudes like that don't die. They just go away until they're needed again.

Kvik

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun #51

Waka == Big Boss

Loved how all Waka's self-improvement effort comes from Nozaki's manga:

- Letter of challenge to Seo (ended up gifting a pair of mittens to her instead)
- How to survive his first date (again, with Seo)
- And in this issue, to be more confident (with some hilarious result)

Mortemis

Banned
I can't wait for the "Rescue Negi" arc. Surprisingly, the best part of UQ Holders is seeing returning characters. Anyone else find that odd?

Says a lot about the mediocrity of the new cast, really.

^. I still remember most of the names of the girls in Negi's class, but can't remember any of the holder's names other than Kuromaru, Touta, and Ikku.
I'm usually bad with names though.

When UQ Holder turns into an actual Negima sequel with all of their characters, we'll be happy.

_hekk05

Banned
^. I still remember most of the names of the girls in Negi's class, but can't remember any of the holder's names other than Kuromaru, Touta, and Ikku.
I'm usually bad with names though.

When UQ Holder turns into an actual Negima sequel with all of their characters, we'll be happy.

All the old characters are old and dying though, with perhaps Zazie as an exception since she's a demon or something, and Asuna since she's the twilight princess or something. Their kids perhaps?

Rhapsody

Banned
Dragonball Vol 1-16 FINISHED

Welp, I did it guys. I've watched/read this before but never quite sat down and purchased the entire series. I'll be getting the other volumes soon so wait for those to come.

Viz's translation is awesome, but some of the needless censorship kills it imo.

This whole series has a good sense of nostalgia and simplicity for it. A very light hearted adventure tone even in more serious moments like the Piccolo arc. Now let me give a rundown of the arcs in general...

Pilaf arc - This pretty much kick offs the series in tone. Taking from Dr. Slump before it, very light-hearted gag manga. In many ways this executes things a lot better in the series than the things after it. One thing I liked about this arc that didn't re-appear in the others, is the existence of the Great Ape. The series always had the looming threat of it, but I felt it should've been done at least once more cause it would've been fun to see Oozaru destroying the Red Ribbon Army.

Red Ribbon Army arc - This gives the series a more structured purpose. Now there's a Nazi-like group hellbent on taking over the world. It's Goku vs. the Nazis basically. Not sure where Toriyama got that idea for that, but it was fun regardless. Tao Pai Pai was awesome as was the stuff in Muscle Tower. Then the arc ends with the awesome fight between Tenshinhan and Goku in one of the best action sequences in the entire series. Awesome stuff.

Piccolo arc - This is when the series starts really taking a serious turn. Not only does one major character die, but two more as well. Well, it's not like we don't know they can't come back, but the looming threat of Piccolo destroying Shenron was there which gave the arc a dreading and intense feeling. Piccolo was just awesome and pure evil, a sense of evil I don't think the series captures as well in the future outside of maybe Freeza. Regardless, they kind of throw away the darker elements when they introduce Kami and basically restore the Dragonballs and restore all the lives lost. The arc, however, ends in probably the best tournament arc in the series yet, with a variety of epic battles between Tenshihan vs. Goku, Piccolo vs. Kuririn, Shen vs. Piccolo, and the final battle Goku vs. Piccolo. Overall, probably my favorite arc in the entire series and still largely remains today.

Overall: B+

As for everything else...I never outright read the entirety of the Z saga in manga form, so this'll be the first time I do so. So wish me luck!
Nice. Piccolo arc was also great since Goku finally won a tournament, and it was the most ridiculous one he had to go through lol.

Z manga's going to be more enjoyable than the anime. Buu saga was tons better.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I would just assume that uq is gundam seed destiny. We get a shit mc just to prepare us for the glorious return of jesus

I doubt touta would step aside as the main character for negi, but negi is obviously going to be a major part of the manga.

I just want best girl back aka Nodoka.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
To be fair the cast of negima is ginormous compared to UQ. I can't remember the name of most of the harem other than nodoka.

Mortemis

Banned
All the old characters are old and dying though, with perhaps Zazie as an exception since she's a demon or something, and Asuna since she's the twilight princess or something. Their kids perhaps?

Touta's just a plot device to get Negi back and start up harem hijinks sequel: starring old ladies going after what looks like a teen.

^.

More seriously, Tatsumiya and Chachamaru should still be there. Setsuna was a half demon and iirc she should have a longer life span too. I still don't get what Asuna really is but she'll probably be alive too. I don't think Nagi or Albireo would be alive but I wouldn't doubt it, and I'm sure Rakan's still kicking. There's still tons of characters that can return.

I got a feeling that this manga is going to delve into the Mage of Beginning again and still not explain wtf that's about.

Mortemis

Banned
So basically, we need to hope that Akamatsu really liked the beginning of Kingdom Hearts 2.

We already have Fate who's a nobody of a nobody of a nobody of the Mage of Beginning. KH runs deep in Negima, lol.

So is Chao going to be Touta's kid? Because if she is then the series will need to add a chinese girl to Touta's harem.

Would Chao exist since she's alternate timeline. I don't even wanna think about timelines rn so I'll just go with she does. She could be someone else's daughter, Touta may not be the only grandchild of Negi.

edit: whippy, she came from early 22nd century didn't she? Since this is late 21st than she could very well be Touta's daughter.

Mortemis

Banned
Nope. Only that she came from Mars and she had no latent magic power (hence the magic circuits)

Has mars been colonised in UQ holder yet?

Yeah, I think it did. Just a few chapter ago, they said that the multi-arms is from the "other mars". I'm guessing that's it. Isn't the tower a path to Mars or something or am I getting confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom