• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT13| Don't bite the dog that feeds the hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, after reading the thread you all made in the main Off Topic forum, I've started to get into reading manga a little. What are some good, shortish manga for those who are new?

if you want to dabble into Shonen but want a light very short story then
Sand Land by Akira Toriyama (Dragonball author) can ease you in

only 14 chapters... so no dedication

you're new in all of this so a on going or long story would not suit you yet

if you want to dabble into Shonen but want a light very short story then
Sand Land by Akira Toriyama (Dragonball author) can ease you in

only 14 chapters... so no dedication

you're new in all of this so a on going or long story would not suit you yet

Ya, I've read a couple different stories now. I tried to dig into Vagabond, but I ended up letting go at the penis-joke monks.

Also, could you clear up what all of those genres mean?

Seinen, not Sienan

And Seinen/Shounen aren't necessarily action things. they're descriptors for target age groups, with Shounen being targeted for boys ~10-18 and Seinen for ~18-40.

For example, Nisekoi is shounen

Sienan is adult action (Kingdom)
Shonen is normal action (Naruto, One Piece)

if you just want pure action go for One Punch Man

ooopss

Seinen is Adult Males.
Shonen is young boys.

I really don't know that many good series to recommend as they are either longer or unfinished.

Was quite sure One-Punch Man is a seinen targetted action manga.

And what if they dont want action.

It is a Seinen, I believe. From one of Jumps' Seinen magazines.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I gave up on Nisekoi a month ago

glad I did that series was not good for your health
You did the right thing.

Hey guys, after reading the thread you all made in the main Off Topic forum, I've started to get into reading manga a little. What are some good, shortish manga for those who are new?
Hey! Welcome to the thread. Do you have specific genres you're looking for? Action, comedy, romance, slice of life, or even horror?

kasane

Kingdom is pretty tricky tho

I personally wouldnt call it seinen i wouldnt call it shonen either

Obligatory: NEW KOUHAI NEW KOUHAI NEW KOUHAI

You did the right thing.

Hey! Welcome to the thread. Do you have specific genres you're looking for? Action, comedy, romance, slice of life, or even horror?

Yeah, some genres would be nice

but also don't be afraid to try new things, as chances are your manga tastes can differ from your western media tastes

like I have no interest in western romance stuff but for manga I'm all about the fluffy cute stuff

it's weird

Big One

Banned
Kingdom is pretty tricky tho

I personally wouldnt call it seinen i wouldnt call it shonen either

Obligatory: NEW KOUHAI NEW KOUHAI NEW KOUHAI
It's a little bit of both. It has a lot of themes shonen demographic series have but the content itself is stuff only seinen manga house. Seriously if the gore was eased down as was the sex elements Kingdom could very well be one of the top WSJ series.

Pokémon + Nobunaga no Yabou ~Ranse Iroemaki~ 01-02

GMrXTsnl.jpg

An adaptation of the where did this come from Pokemon + Koei Tecmo collaboration years ago.

Pretty nice, kinda making me want to finish/start this game.

Zweizer

Banned
Kingdom has plenty of what we'd call "Shonen tropes" such as willpower boosting strength and some shit but the overall content is rather targeted at a more adult demographic so it's more of a seinen.

But really, as long as you're okay with gory stuff, don't let it stop you from getting into it. Kingdom overall excells more at being a shonen than a seinen. The only problem is that it's currently at 396 chapters so it doesn't fit the criteria of being short.

Same thing for Onepunch-Man, which while classified as a seinen, works pretty much like a shonen. I'd recommend this one to you as it's extremely enjoyable with nice humor and incredible action scenes.

Of course, these two series are mainly fighting-oriented. If you'd rather have some comedy, I'd suggest Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun, which is mostly comedy/romance. It follows a 4 panels format and is pretty funny in how it portrays the quirks of a Shoujo author.

Zweizer

Banned
Pokémon + Nobunaga no Yabou ~Ranse Iroemaki~ 01-02
An adaptation of the where did this come from Pokemon + Koei Tecmo collaboration years ago.

Pretty nice, kinda making me want to finish/start this game.

I remember the game being repetitive as hell where you had to do the same fucking thing over and over (for a TRPG there were never a variation of the objective for every map of the game). Also, for a Pokemon game, it was awfully restrictive in which mons you could raise with the affinity system.

I remember the game being repetitive as hell where you had to do the same fucking thing over and over (for a TRPG there were never a variation of the objective for every map of the game). Also, for a Pokemon game, it was awfully restrictive in which mons you could raise with the affinity system.

I think the only thing that really prevented me from making any progress was how slow the game was. Even slow for a TRPG :/

------------------------------------------------------

Unrelated but on the figure-side news, for those with bad tastes:

236133.jpg

Chitoge is going to have a figure made by Atler. Scheduled for release in 2015 2016 probably.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Of course, these two series are mainly fighting-oriented. If you'd rather have some comedy, I'd suggest Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun, which is mostly comedy/romance. It follows a 4 panels format and is pretty funny in how it portrays the quirks of a Shoujo author.
Since you're not sure about demographics like shonen and seinen, I figure you won't know what shoujo is either. Shoujo is aimed towards young/teenaged girls... So think of things like Sailor Moon and Cardcaptor Sakura. But obviously, you have a lot of variety in that too, as you would with shonen and seinen. The young adult/women demographic is called josei, and it's criminally underrepresented, generally.

Shota Pregnancy

Is this the new Hot House?

Well so far I've dug into three stories: Love Roma, Vagabond, and Majime na Jiken.

I really enjoyed Love Roma, much to my surprise, although I don't think I would have liked of under other conditions. I'm a highschool student, so I really appreciated the author's willingness to discuss themes pertaining to the sexuality of young people while still maintaining a good romance story.

I read about thirty chapters of Vagabond. I liked it, but it was confusing at times. I kinda lost interest ultimately.

Majime na Jiken was nice because it was a really compact, well delivered story with a lot of intereting themes concerning death.

Ultimately, I'm up for anything, although I would definitely prefer to stay away from loli stuff and really explicit sex.

Edit: Thanks for the classification help. It's interesting how that's gone about.

Akito

Hideout (horror)
5 cm per second (romance/drama)
Voices of a distant star (romance/drama)
Solanin (drama)
Green Blood (action)

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Well so far I've dug into three stories: Love Roma, Vagabond, and Majime na Jiken.
I've read Majime na Jikan too, it was pretty neat. If you want another good romance story, try Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun. It's about a girl who wants to do nothing but study and a delinquent sort of guy. They don't get into sex, but it's one of the best shoujo manga I've read. It's 48 chapters and complete.

Another good romance story is Horimiya, which is a shonen manga (see how demographics don't really tell you anything about genres?). It's about a popular girl who is basically a homemaker when she's not at school and a nerd who has tattoos and piercings. It's still ongoing but it's at 38 chapters.

If you want some action, try Spirit Circle. It's a guy who goes through his past lives. It's at about 27 chapters and ongoing. If you have a crunchyroll subscription, you can read it all there.

Another action series by the same guy is Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer. It's about a group of people who have to save the world from being destroyed by a giant hammer. It's 56 chapters and complete.

Also have you read or watched Full Metal Alchemist? If you haven't, do that.

edit: Also, Koe no Katachi. It's about deafness and bullying. It's ongoing with 42 chapters, but it's probably going to end soon.

Also, there are monthly series (have more pages, around 30 to 40) and weekly series (around 18-22 pages). Everything I listed is monthly except for Koe no Katachi. Horimiya is monthly, but it has a lot of shorter 15 paged chapters, so it's not as long.

edit2: Also, Hi Score Girl is a really short, but cute romance manga about a kid who loves arcades and the girl who keeps bothering him at them.

Zweizer

Banned
Ultimately, I'm up for anything, although I would definitely prefer to stay away from loli stuff and really explicit sex.

Outside of what's been named above, I suggest you also read:

Yotsuba&! by Kiyohiko Azuma: "Enjoy everything."
An extremely well-done slice of life series about the daily life of a 5-year old little girl whose enthusiasm, cheerfulness and curiosity brings a pleasant perspective to the mundane things of the reader's life and her childish capacity to enjoy everything and appreciate life never fails to bring a smile to my face.

Slice of life/comedy. Classified as shonen.

Nickelodeon by Dowman Sayman:
It can be funny, it can be weird, it can be heartrending, it's always thought-provoking. Every chapter is only 8 pages long and self-contained, so you can read it in any order you wish at your own rhythm, and don't worry, the level of depth or emotional impact of these stories are much higher than most series can hope to achieve.

Drama/comedy/philosophical. Classified as seinen.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Ootagawa Junjou Lovers 4.5
Diabetes fucking induced.

It's about a shut in girl, and the nerd who has to force her to come back to the school he didn't even want to attend.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I mean, if you would like a few reads that will scar you mentally for life, there are definitely worse things out there.

The things I've seen...

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Do they involve holes?

More like decapitations and death through strangulation.

There was a pretty graphic hole in another work.

Funny thing is that if it's in like berserk, I would not bat an eyelid, but once it's presented in an erotic context I just want to scrape my brain.

Charade

Hana to Uso to Makoto 6

Well that was a wonky-looking double spread...
And that's certainly a way to solve your zombie problem! :D

Oh, on the membership. Unless it's not something recent and I'm just going crazy!.
Oh. Ooooh, I didn't notice, yay. Thank you.

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun vol. 13

It's finally complete, hooray!

Really sweet collection of romantic stories for the side characters. However, I bulged my eyes until the bitter end for any hint of official Sasayan x Natsume and saw nothing. Nothing!

In any case, now I'm sad that it's over. I've grown pretty attached to these characters. Please make Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun R happen. I know it won't, but please.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
someone pls tell me the difference between nana to kaoru and nana to kaoru black label?

dont post often cause work and what not but i still try to lurk!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom