• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT13| Don't bite the dog that feeds the hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
someone pls tell me the difference between nana to kaoru and nana to kaoru black label?

dont post often cause work and what not but i still try to lurk!

You're in luck, I just finished Nana to Kaoru and started on Black Label.

Main series is the main series. Read that first.

Black Label takes place later in their senior year with a different set of characters. Finished series.

scy

someone pls tell me the difference between nana to kaoru and nana to kaoru black label?

dont post often cause work and what not but i still try to lurk!

Black Label is essentially the "sequel" that is a bit more risque.

I say "sequel" since we still have no idea if Nana to Kaoru will just end before the period in Black Label (summer of their third year) or if it'll do some weird "HEY READ BLACK LABEL" break and then pick up after it.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
You're in luck, I just finished Nana to Kaoru and started on Black Label.

Main series is the main series. Read that first.

Black Label takes place later in their senior year with a different set of characters. Finished series.

so the main series is finished? ;_;

EDIT:

thanks for the responses! the read has been pretty damn good. ive been reading manga for 4+ years and starting to run out on good mangas...

never seem to find ones involving bildungsroman, its such a good thing for a story! berserk might be next but i want to read a story where a weakling becomes a freaking badass... holyland only did it perfectly for me.

scy

never seem to find ones involving bildungsroman, its such a good thing for a story! berserk might be next but i want to read a story where a weakling becomes a freaking badass... holyland only did it perfectly for me.

Kingdom is pretty much the rise of "some guy" to General, though he's not really the weakling character of the story.

The sports genre is pretty much flooded with the weakling-becomes-great if you want to go that route. Eyeshield 21, for instance.

So, Nana to Kaoru is the original series and it's still on-going, while Black Label is the sequel but it's finished. Did I get that right?

That sounds really odd.

Yes, but like scy said it's unclear whether Black Label is a "sequel" or anything or if the manga will just simply end when it catches up to that timeframe.

I haven't finished Black Label yet either so I don't know how sequely it really is or how much development there is, just know it's set further forward then the main series

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Oh there is definitely developement in black label. So much so that it's hard to see how the regular series will integrate it once it reaches that timeline.

Yes, but like scy said it's unclear whether Black Label is a "sequel" or anything or if the manga will just simply end when it catches up to that timeframe.

I haven't finished Black Label yet either so I don't know how sequely it really is or how much development there is, just know it's set further forward then the main series

given what actually happens in black label i highly doubt it plus it wouldn't make any sense to end then create another series dealing with stuff after black label (which was already a new series).

or the author is a fucking troll of the highest order if it happened.

i think there will be some time skip with some reference to read black label if you want to know more.

scy

So, Nana to Kaoru is the original series and it's still on-going, while Black Label is the sequel but it's finished. Did I get that right?

That sounds really odd.

Yeah, it was weird when it first started and was basically just "later" in the story. At first, it stood out just for the sake of being a bit more risque (aka, actual nudity) so it seemed like it was merely to just do more with the same cast.

And then plot happened.

impossible given what actually happens in black label

If Black Label ended differently than maybe but, yeah, it now seems most likely that it'll just integrate itself into the plot. Some ... how.

Zweizer

Banned
Eh, I can see some sort of excuse for them to tie it into Black Label.

But yeah, overall it's rather odd. Not sure why the author chose to present their relationship as thus.
To be honest I'd have preferred a spin-off with Tachi as lead.

Zweizer

Banned
The last chapter of Black Label is worth it but I found the side characters rather meh and the BDSM rather limited.

Personally I didn't find it as good as the main series.

Yeah, it was weird when it first started and was basically just "later" in the story. At first, it stood out just for the sake of being a bit more risque (aka, actual nudity) so it seemed like it was merely to just do more with the same cast.

And then plot happened.

If Black Label ended differently than maybe but, yeah, it now seems most likely that it'll just integrate itself into the plot. Some ... how.

iirc the more risque stuff was the pitch since it was in another magazine and it could have worked as some standalone type thing but as said in the bold....that happened.

Quasar

Black Label is essentially the "sequel" that is a bit more risque.

I say "sequel" since we still have no idea if Nana to Kaoru will just end before the period in Black Label (summer of their third year) or if it'll do some weird "HEY READ BLACK LABEL" break and then pick up after it.

I'm going to be sad if we get no post Black Label material.

Thank you for the warm welcome and all of the suggestions. I'm gonna have a look at some of these.

Edit: I'm not sure if I'm doing this right, but here goes.

Nickelodeon 1

That first chapter was quite something. You all weren't kidding about how short the chapters are. I think I'm going to like this a lot though. It seems sort of like a collection of modern fairy tails.

The last chapter of Black Label is worth it but I found the side characters rather meh and the BDSM rather limited.

Personally I didn't find it as good as the main series.

it all depends if you
like the manager lady and want to know why she's so knowledgeable. Her having personal ties with his S&M idol/sensei was a bit convenient tbh but hey.

as said before plotwise its kinda hard to ignore now tbh.

content wise is tricky since the current series is apparently in the "less risque" magazine

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Thank you for the warm welcome and all of the suggestions. I'm gonna have a look at some of these.

Edit: I'm not sure if I'm doing this right, but here goes.

Nickelodeon 1

That first chapter was quite something. You all weren't kidding about how short the chapters are. I think I'm going to like this a lot though. It seems sort of like a collection of modern fairy tails.

Every chapter is pretty much its own story.

If you want something that is more like a continuous series, than the Voynich hotel by the same author is very good also.

scy

iirc the more risque stuff was the pitch since it was in another magazine and it could have worked as some standalone type thing but as said in the bold....that happened.

And the funny part is, I actually do mean plot too.

That'll be a tragedy. While it does a lot plot wise, just at least a few chapters to spell things out or something would be awesome.

Edit: But, yeah, the hard part will be figuring out how they'll integrate it into the plot. Like ... do they just say that stuff happened? Do we get a less risque rerun of the arc? We've got some time I guess before the main story gets there (probably one other arc?) so who knows.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Kingdom is pretty much the rise of "some guy" to General, though he's not really the weakling character of the story.

The sports genre is pretty much flooded with the weakling-becomes-great if you want to go that route. Eyeshield 21, for instance.

scy, you are greatness embodied. i shall read eyeshield 21 and kingdom and berserk. it shall be quite the week for me. i must post updates to record my frothing.

Book Girl and the Captive Fool

I just realized that I don't really need to use a spoiler tag here, but not doing it for a mystery series feels... wrong.

So I like this one very much.

First of all,
Chia, woooo! And an itty bitty bit of Ryuto, also. It's always a pleasure seeing characters whose character arcs are complete returning, seeing how they fare (though I really doubt I've seen the last of Ryuto's story). Shame that Hotaru can never return. And Kurosaki can go to hell.

I've never read Friendship, but no doubt it's why Captive Fool is the most romantic so far. I also so feel that all important player is given fair exposure this time. Both contribute greatly to my enjoyment.

The resolution through juxtaposition with theatre-play might be a bit cliched, but I love it all the same. It's like a lemon cheesecake that soothes your soul through its sour creamy top, then assault your expectations with sweetly tart lemon glaze. But seriously, it's great.

That ending. No. Why. This is my last book. Ordering the rest would take half a month. What have I done to deserve this. If I knew a painful break awaits, it's better that I didn't read at all. And as I stared at the book's flat cover, Miu stared right back, smiling on that windswept rooftop. You would never understand, Scrooge.

Random note:
That scene between Konoha and Kazushi near the end plays some much like a love confession that it's hard to put down the yaoi goggles.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun end

It's... it's over.

What do I do with my life now?

;_;

edit:

Historie's pretty good with this.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Rin 20
I knew the older brother would get interested in Rin. The way she stood up to him was cool. And I guess the rival was a part of MC's past life. I wonder if they were in a love triangle or something...

Next chapter can't come soon enough.

Shengar

Dammit when is Kingdom going to be licensed? I want to put it in my collection so freaking bad....
I'm kinda glad I don't go with my family to Fukuoka this September or otherwise there will be another bunch of manga on my shelves that I can't even read. For now at least.
MORE LEWD FOR THE LEWD GOD

There are snitches around lately though lol

img000023.jpg

scy

Book Girl and the Captive Fool

I just realized that I don't really need to use a spoiler tag here, but not doing it for a mystery series feels... wrong.

So I like this one very much.

Yeah, it's kind of a mystery so it feels weird not tagging it. Plus, very few people read it (+ it's a full book, not a single chapter like with manga) that it just seems off without spoiler boxes everywhere to mask things. That's part of why my original posts when I read them were pretty tame since I didn't want to just have an entire redacted post.

I'll be honest, I was kind of worried on how you'd like it after the last book :x This is also the story that has events I'm not entirely sure I would like to see drawn out in the manga.

As for the ending: :)

scy, you are greatness embodied. i shall read eyeshield 21 and kingdom and berserk. it shall be quite the week for me. i must post updates to record my frothing.

Well dang. Hopefully you enjoy them. There's probably other recommendations to be had too but those were the first to come to mind.

Quasar

as said before plotwise its kinda hard to ignore now tbh.

Well they could just wrap it up where Black Label begins.

content wise is tricky since the current series is apparently in the "less risque" magazine

Whilst true I don't think I actually need the S&M scenes to be ramped up to match Black Label. Of course at this stage I think I'd like to see more of their relationship outside breathers.

dani_dc

I gor FE:A guys

For the waifus

I accidently married Chrom with toilet girl:
ZQfUaPc.jpg

I then proceed to delete my backup save to stop me from redoing the last two hours of the game...That revealed itself to be a terrible mistake, as I never got over the fact that Chrom and toilet girl ended up married, which lead me to getting annoyed to the point where I just stopped playing the game.

Chrom married Sumia first time.

I think he did it again round two.

Whenever I get around to it, he's gonna marry Olivia.

And Lucina as best waifu

Quasar

Girls of the Wilds 147 - Its always kind of weird when Queen has big dialog scenes given how little she speaks normally.

Quasar

Untouchable 1-6 - Due to the Naver webtoon iPad app I tried this out. Hardly the most original thing ever...a romance book with a vampire and a non vampire, but I'm intrigued so far. In part because the guy is a germophobe and the variety of vampires in the story (not blood suckers but they take energy from humans via touch).

Yeah, it's kind of a mystery so it feels weird not tagging it. Plus, very few people read it (+ it's a full book, not a single chapter like with manga) that it just seems off without spoiler boxes everywhere to mask things. That's part of why my original posts when I read them were pretty tame since I didn't want to just have an entire redacted post.

I'll be honest, I was kind of worried on how you'd like it after the last book :x This is also the story that has events I'm not entirely sure I would like to see drawn out in the manga.

As for the ending: :)
>:|

I'm ordering the next three books. Well-played, Nomura.

Which scenes don't you want to see drawn out? I personally would like to see visualization of the theatre-play segment. Maybe trim down Tohko's monologue a bit.

It really helps, I think, that the fantastical elements are toned down in this book. I realize that I don't really like things like
dual personalities and the whole star-crossed lovers plot
in my mystery, psychological drama. Just feels too grandiose.
And the ghost thing seems a bit contrived, too.

I just started playing this on Friday and you just had to ruin it for me. You monster.

kasane

ZQfUaPc.jpg

I then proceed to delete my backup save to stop me from redoing the last two hours of the game...That revealed itself to be a terrible mistake, as I never got over the fact that Chrom and toilet girl ended up married, which lead me to getting annoyed to the point where I just stopped playing the game.
I literally killed her cause i think shes annoying

Shengar

Killing a character just because bad first impression will only net you a reduced entertainment value. I suggest to benched them instead getting them killed because everyone at least have one entertaining support conversation line. I thought Tharja is the worst character ever beside Cordelia and that her popularity only stem from her boingy body until I read more of her support conversation.
Except Severa, because tsundere is so godawful
min/max + waifus = best game ever

Statistically a good option as it nets Noire Galeforce access, though.

If we take children unit into account, yeah Tharja is better choice for her daughter to get galeforce. But as unit themselves, Sumia rolfstomped anyone that isn't Nowi.

Lain

I have to say that I found the talks about the butt fighting manga funny because I still remember when it was talked about some threads ago and everyone went to read that first chapter. I'm just sad I don't remember who it was that brought it up back then (and being a lazy ass I don't feel like checking).

dumbyugi

I have to say that I found the talks about the butt fighting manga funny because I still remember when it was talked about some threads ago and everyone went to read that first chapter. I'm just sad I don't remember who it was that brought it up back then (and being a lazy ass I don't feel like checking).

Me & Akito brought it up in OTX. We were calling it Keijo!!!!!!!! rather than Hip Wip Girl though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom