• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT13| Don't bite the dog that feeds the hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Haruka na Machi e ENTIRELY

DEAR GOD THE FEELS! I LOVE THIS STORY! Man, the retrospective on life, even though I'm only 22 years old. Man, great recommendation.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
for anyone reading tokyo ghoul

what is the relevance of the masks? do they have some sort of suppression ability? im at chapter 49 and its barely even brought up

dani_dc

Fuuka 25

lol, I wonder how Yuu-kun is going to coward his way out of this one.

If Fuuka was being passive aggressive before, just imagine how worst she's going to get after this.

I'm also expecting death threats on twitters and some crazy Tama fans stalking him for added fun. Coward his way out of this one might be the least of his problems if the author plays this right.

Quasar

If Fuuka was being passive aggressive before, just imagine how worst she's going to get after this.

I'm also expecting death threats on twitters and some crazy Tama fans stalking him for added fun. Coward his way out of this one might be the least of his problems if the author plays this right.

Somehow I doubt Seo will delve into celebrity/idol culture with this, as interesting as it could be with this setup. I imagine its just a way to ramp up the romantic drama. Though maybe it will be interesting in that you have Fuuka competing with an idol of hers for the boy.

Mob Psycho 65
99%! Im betting the emotion is pity.

Sekainohate de Aimashou 42
So Ryouma has been fully converted, guess this will end soon then.

Quixzlizx

Thanks, I'll be sure to read through this list.

As weird as it is for me to say so, I've been really enjoying slice of life and romance stories. That said, I would prefer to keep away from lewdness.

You'd love Bonnouji. I feel like it is the Platonic ideal of the slice-of-life romance.

Fake edit: Sorry for the double post

Hey, you beautiful peeps~
Life treating you good? :D

So, Tower of God 1-31:
It's... pretty decent?
The art is allovertheplace and varies from impressive to terrible, but the story seems like it really wants to go somewhere.
Still, why is
the main character's girl friend such a terrible character? My God, she sucks.
I guess the needle sword gets rad later on? I'm not seeing what makes it so "totes cool".
All characters seem pretty dull compared to some other series I'm reading, but the blue-haired dude's OK.
I'm not sure if I'll keep reading it.

Dead Dead Demons de Dedede Destruction 1-6:
what the hell is this

Quasar

As weird as it is for me to say so, I've been really enjoying slice of life and romance stories. That said, I would prefer to keep away from lewdness.

Shame to rule out 'lewdness'. I found the romance in Koibana Onsen really pretty good, despite the 'lewdness' that comes from it being set in an Onsen and couples physically committing.

I didn't mind Prunus Girl either, though thats not ecchi.

Cuticle Detective Inaba 05

hxQGCIm.png

ASSEMBLE THE CHINESE ZODIAC!!!

/dead

dani_dc

Somehow I doubt Seo will delve into celebrity/idol culture with this, as interesting as it could be with this setup. I imagine its just a way to ramp up the romantic drama. Though maybe it will be interesting in that you have Fuuka competing with an idol of hers for the boy.
I doubt it as well, but idol culture angle could be use as an effective way to create distance between the main character and Tama and Fuuka at the same time (for different reasons), there's really lots of ways you could use that theme to ramp the drama. Either way next chapter should be fun with the blowout out this as well as give us a good indication of where things will go.

Lain

Ushijima the Loan Shark Volume 1
Y5X.jpg

Pretty hard read for me. There aren't good people here. It's all scum, scum which will keep doing scummy things.
Yet, it still manages to hit in the feels here and there because of the way some of these people end up.

The mother that ends up sucking cocks in a toilet to repay her debt. Seeing her go back home and cry while hugging her son and promising herself she'll stop playing pachinko makes you feel bad for her knowing Ushijima has already planned to milk out of her the 4 million yen she has coming her way. Then the next morning she just can't help resisting not entering a Pachinko parlor and you just can't help but feel disgust.

The OL that has racked up huge debts because she wants to fit with the people she works with. To keep up with them, she spends money to go out with hem, to dress up like them and all around fit in. She's sure that if she stops they'll ostracize her.
Ushijima lends her huge amounts of cash with the plan of bringing her to her own self-destruction and that doesn't take too long to happen. To pay back her debt she starts working in some sleazy business, she starts getting bullied at works from her female coworkers (they ruin her new 90k yen dress, send an email from her address to all the emplyee with her sleazy job webpage) because she stopped going out with them and the girl from the sleazy job she thought had become a friend is only turning her in a junkie (all planned by Ushijima). This poor idiot of a girl, even not fucking her clients, manages to catch all sorts of STDs and she pass those to her boyfriend, she has to quit her daytime job, she turns from a nice looking girl into a ugly skeleton-like junkie, her boyfriend ruins her face once he finds out of all the STDs she passed him and even gets almost killed by two dudes.
There are no good people here, but I can't help feel some sort of pity for her while also feeling that she probably doesn't really deserve the pity as she dug her hole herself.

Basically, it's a constant battle for who's the biggest scum? Ushijima managed to win it plenty though the clients did beat him here and there.

Quixzlizx

I doubt it as well, but idol culture angle could be use as an effective way to create distance between the main character and Tama and Fuuka at the same time (for different reasons), there's really lots of ways you could use that theme to ramp the drama. Either way next chapter should be fun with the blowout out this as well as give us a good indication of where things will go.

I'd expect something ridiculous instead of something interesting. I mean, there are still 200+ chapters to go.

Prison School 125

So it was because of Shingo LOLOLOL and its expected they wouldn't want to help the USC. I guess Gakuto figured it out about the Festival stuff?

Also Kiyoshi continues to do stuff without realizing the implications LOL.

kasane

Yep, and he did the VR Waifu manga called Ressentiment too. As for Boys on the Run, are you at chapter 4x or 9x? If it's the former, don't give in, it shed some light of her character.

Golden dialogue.
I have read up until:
she dragged him in a hotel then took a photo. Anyways her friend ruined her relationship with mc and that douchebag who got sick basically destroyed her
Fuuka 25
Tama sure is doing her best to destroy her career. Gotta respect someone that's dedicated enough to their own beliefs to go that far.

Fuck u guys

TAMA-CHAN FIGHTING!!!!

Mumei

Teresa's charisma is simply off the chart.

Teresa is the Queen, and I am happy to be vindicated in my faith in her transcendent superiority. I need a spin-off that ditches the rest of the cast and just has Teresa kicking dragon ass on the mainland, please.

GTO: Shonan 14 days end

I imagine this would have been a lot more satisfying if translation speed wasn't ass. Might just wait for the next GTO to finish before reading it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Teresa is the Queen, and I am happy to be vindicated in my faith in her transcendent superiority. I need a spin-off that ditches the rest of the cast and just has Teresa kicking dragon ass on the mainland, please.

We all know the mainland is never happening.

Usobuko

Banned
Ushijima the Loan Shark Volume 1
Y5X.jpg

Pretty hard read for me. There aren't good people here. It's all scum, scum which will keep doing scummy things.
Yet, it still manages to hit in the feels here and there because of the way some of these people end up.

The mother that ends up sucking cocks in a toilet to repay her debt. Seeing her go back home and cry while hugging her son and promising herself she'll stop playing pachinko makes you feel bad for her knowing Ushijima has already planned to milk out of her the 4 million yen she has coming her way. Then the next morning she just can't help resisting not entering a Pachinko parlor and you just can't help but feel disgust.

The OL that has racked up huge debts because she wants to fit with the people she works with. To keep up with them, she spends money to go out with hem, to dress up like them and all around fit in. She's sure that if she stops they'll ostracize her.
Ushijima lends her huge amounts of cash with the plan of bringing her to her own self-destruction and that doesn't take too long to happen. To pay back her debt she starts working in some sleazy business, she starts getting bullied at works from her female coworkers (they ruin her new 90k yen dress, send an email from her address to all the emplyee with her sleazy job webpage) because she stopped going out with them and the girl from the sleazy job she thought had become a friend is only turning her in a junkie (all planned by Ushijima). This poor idiot of a girl, even not fucking her clients, manages to catch all sorts of STDs and she pass those to her boyfriend, she has to quit her daytime job, she turns from a nice looking girl into a ugly skeleton-like junkie, her boyfriend ruins her face once he finds out of all the STDs she passed him and even gets almost killed by two dudes.
There are no good people here, but I can't help feel some sort of pity for her while also feeling that she probably doesn't really deserve the pity as she dug her hole herself.

Basically, it's a constant battle for who's the biggest scum? Ushijima managed to win it plenty though the clients did beat him here and there.

I tried reading this a while back but can't make it past the first volume mainly because of the hideous art. I don't usually allows artstyle to influence my decision but for this case it's an exception.

Haruka na Machi e ENTIRELY

DEAR GOD THE FEELS! I LOVE THIS STORY! Man, the retrospective on life, even though I'm only 22 years old. Man, great recommendation.

Now you should tackle some of his other works.

survivor

Banned
Pink
Another great enjoyable manga by Okazaki. She has a way for mixing serious topics in the story with lighthearted and comedic scenes in a very natural matter that generally won't feel out of place. Although I wasn't a fan of some of the random authors notes on the sides of the panels. Admittedly this had less cynicism than some of her future works like River's Edge, but the ending of the manga was pretty depressing and unexpected. Which I didn't mind, felt like it was a neat way to counteract the large of optimism near the end.

Yuugure Light 01

A girl moves into a new apartment with her father and learns that her father wants to remarry. There she meets her potential step-sister and a pair of brothers who live nearby.

Yay shoujo, but hey the lead girl has a backbone and those are always the best.

You'd love Bonnouji. I feel like it is the Platonic ideal of the slice-of-life romance.

I'll add that to my list of things to read. Thank you for the suggestion!

Shame to rule out 'lewdness'. I found the romance in Koibana Onsen really pretty good, despite the 'lewdness' that comes from it being set in an Onsen and couples physically committing.

I didn't mind Prunus Girl either, though thats not ecchi.

Eh, call me a bit of a prude. Personally I just feel like there doesn't need to be dicks and boobs for a good love story to be told.

_hekk05

Banned
Hi Score Girl is shit anyways, we aren't missing anything. And Kasane. And Girl Fight.
They're all shit, shiiiiiiiiiiit! We're better off with no translations!

Yep.

Lol I just broke lain.

I'm just waiting for someone to take Q. It's hard to find competent raws for that one

Mortemis

Banned
Fuuka 25

Shit, why can't I stay away from Seo's mangas. Seeing everyone talk about it made me want to catch up, and lmao. Tama gives NO fucks, and I love it.

Lmao.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom