• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

Nordicus

Omae o Otaku ni Shiteyaru kara, Ore o Riajuu ni Shitekure! 24

So now we're basically at the snow mountain rescue part of Toradora, huh.

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch568

The dojo had a good run.

Paraiso ch9

Sounds like the greatest school festival ever.

VQ8Ngxt.png

That censorception is an amazing idea.

Fudatsuki no Kyoko-chan ch22

Rin sure is having fun with it. Better luck next time I guess.

Shuukan Shounen Girl ch34

Guess it's not good to bottle up your words, either.

Twin Sisters 3

I'm sensing a pattern emerging. Well, it's cute so it's fine. For the sake of progress, here's hoping big sister doesn't forget what she's said this time around.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I just don't get why Ken spoiled it if he was gonna canonize it.

Zweizer

Banned
Kingdom ch520

Guess they can thin out the enemies' numbers like that with relatively few casualties. I doubt that's all there is to their tactic though.

Ascheroth

Raisekamika 01-04

New manga from the Ga-Rei/Tokyo ESP mangaka I randomly stumpled upon.
It's basically a boy-meets girl supernatural action romance isekai-but-not-really story. Since the two can move between the 'worlds' at will and they aren't the only ones and the other world affects the real world.
With fucking gorgeous art.

Chase17

First week sales were no joke I guess.
i love the cover already
DCEaF7FU0AERrml.jpg:small

Wonder if this is a coed team (which would make sense since it's young kids) or a girl who is so good she plays on the boys team thing (or I guess maybe there is no girls team). Unless I'm wrong about the kid on the right lol.

LeleSocho

Banned
Raisekamika 01-04

New manga from the Ga-Rei/Tokyo ESP mangaka I randomly stumpled upon.
It's basically a boy-meets girl supernatural action romance isekai-but-not-really story. Since the two can move between the 'worlds' at will and they aren't the only ones and the other world affects the real world.
With fucking gorgeous art.

woooooow this looks very good, thanks for sharing i'm going to check it asap O__O

Wonder if this is a coed team (which would make sense since it's young kids) or a girl who is so good she plays on the boys team thing (or I guess maybe there is no girls team). Unless I'm wrong about the kid on the right lol.

95% sure those are all boys

Astra Lost In Space 33

I CALLED IT

ME

WOOOOOOOOOO

Everyone is a clone, aries is the only one who doesn't fit the mold, so she'll be revealed to be the traitor in a chapter or two I imagine

Arabesque

Astra Lost In Space 33

I CALLED IT

ME

WOOOOOOOOOO

Everyone is a clone, aries is the only one who doesn't fit the mold, so she'll be revealed to be the traitor in a chapter or two I imagine

I feel like I should go back to the comments I made over at the Viz site to see where I went wrong and where I went right on that theory

Aries is probably going to be an android with secret programing to keep the crew either on watch or kill them, me thinks.

I don't think she's outright the traitor, so much as a compromised member of the crew

we never learn 16 - 17

The three really aren't helping what sensei thinks of Yuiga.
Also, Uruka can't hide anything from her family.

Mousou Telepathy 335 341

Well, its pretty obvious that Nanako is into Toda at this point.

Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! 556 - 569

Well this sure won't create misunderstandings.

JulianImp

Slow Motion wo Mou Ichi Do - ch31
Koizumi showing up as a decent love rival to Yakushimaru really highlights the contrast between this arc and the one with the stupid rich guy that spoke in kansai-ben. Rather than kidnapping Otaki due to some childhood promise, Koizumi is someome he finds interesting and nice to hang out with, which is a way more organic way of making Yakushimaru jealous of her compared to that guy.

Helck - ch96 part 2
Guess Helck has to sit back while his companions buy him time to recover, which feels like a bit of a rethread of that chapter where An fought by herself to brak through the king's defenses a very short while ago. I also kind of wish Cless could survive past this fight, but I'm guessing he'll have to die a heroic death within a chapter or two because keeping him around would require rebalancing all the enemy encounters for the Helck+Cless+An team (with random guest appearances by the other heavenly kings), which would be way too overpowered.

Kyuur

The Promised Neverland (xpost from OT)

Good chapter! From what we've seen, I don't think the author will use environmental danger against the kids that much in the future. Instead we'll see them utilizing their knowledge of the environment (thanks to the book) to deal with actual threats.

I think the way we see the humanoid demons treat this bestial demon gives credence to the idea that Minerva may not even be human. Could be some lesser demon with reason to fuck over this particular tribe.

Madoka - Devil Homura and Returnee Madoka might work things out faster if they get physical (SFW short)
I was waiting for this moment. If doujins have taught me anything, it's that they can overcome their genetic limitations through the power of magic. Meanwhile, Kyouko's days of studying under Mami have finally come back to haunt her. And her cranium.

I feel like I should go back to the comments I made over at the Viz site to see where I went wrong and where I went right on that theory

Aries is probably going to be an android with secret programing to keep the crew either on watch or kill them, me thinks.

I don't think she's outright the traitor, so much as a compromised member of the crew

I agree, considering her mother looks nothing like her I think it's obvious she's the traitor/compromised member even if she herself doesn't realize it. I don't think she's evil persay just not a clone but an android.

Madoka - Magia Record Reports p25-26

4Fdn33n.png

Seems legit. With a bit of fine tuning this could become a popular national sport. I can already see a preliminary tiering for the new characters forming in my mind, even if these portrayals are taking liberties. Though in honesty it's pretty similar to when I first saw the designs.

Screaming Lessons 47

Man, why do the 2-parters always get happy endings? I genuinely would've preferred this to end on part 1, with the betrayal and the promise of impending slashings. That might just be me though. Yeah, it's just me.

Won't be the last time I get Kurapika'd.

Yeah you just got Kurapika'd.

95% sure those are all boys

Nope we all got punked, apologizes to chase that is a girl

Shudan!! 1
DCITVsIXoAgBsIn.jpg:large

Awesome first chapter. And really intense, Roku is the best, along with Soshi, Nanase deserves some kudos and accolades too for helping Roku and Soshi, and others level up. Hope real matches are this intense. Reminds me of what I loved in Ginga E Kickoff.
DCIVBAjXgAArUCk.jpg:large

I love their faces.
DCIVX4bXoAA_fsf.jpg:large

Viz Shonen Jump 6/12/17

Shudan

I felt nothing from this, it wasn't bad persay, but nothing about it jumped out at me either. Having a strong female playing the sport is interesting but since they're all early middle school the level of competition doesn't really instill me with confidence that the series will do anything interesting with the set up. The chapter ended without me having any idea what the goal of the series was for any of the characters which is generally a bad idea for new jump series.

One Piece

Still don't like how the flashback didn't actually explain why Linlin was such a monster child, just confirmed why the giants have beef with her. I wonder if this set up is because we're actually going to elbaf next for a short while to keep the big mom pirates from following.

Robot x Laserbeam

The more robo actually cares about doing well the more I warm up to the series. Of course this chapter also had nothing to do with golf and more general physical activity so perhaps that helped.

We Never Learn

This series really needs a token male friend, or any other relevant male character for that matter who isn't the principal. Even if second tier science girl and former tutor don't harem crush yuiga yet, his antics towards them leads to the same kind of embarrased "shut up baka o///o" response which is tiring.

Food Wars

Reverse sweep is gonna happen for sure, apologizes to dtl but story wise these 3 are the most expendable.

The Promised Neverland

You thought things were bad last week? Well now they're much much worse. The fact the series has been able to keep the thinky elements of the series even during this escape/survive section has me hopeful the series isn't gonna transition into battle shonen shit anytime soon if ever.

Black Clover

"He works on the frontier" whaaaaaaaat? That's the reason nobody recognizes this guy? Ignoring the stupid logic this tournament should at least give us a variety of fun matches based upon the team breakdowns.

Dr Stone

This flashback showing Senku living on his own has been a lot of fun. Learning how the petrification happened to society I imagine will be the next major thing the group tackles in the present now that they have some momentary respite from Tsukasa since he things Senku is dead and they think Tsukasa is dead.

One Punch Man

Oh man so many super powerful monsters

How can anybody stop them from causing mayhem

Zzzzzzzzz

The Promised Neverland

The pacing is way too fast in this manga, why are they acting like the series will get cut soon. No other explanation exists for how the humanoid demons actually found them in this short time span.

Food Wars
DCIYKqHW0AA0TKH.jpg:small

ITS HAPPENING, finally, after months of little to no Kuga action, we get a whole chapter dedicated to SoKuga!!! I loved Soma being in the right place at the right time, even offering the same sort of deal he offered Taku way back in the other match, even if Kuga loses which is probably going to be impossible, Soma will again come in a save him and get his revenge and honor back. I hope its china food, then Kuga will ahve more of a chance to win.

Loved the hugging pinning against the wall.
DCIZA30XkAINqsC.jpg:small

Since declaring the battle against the new seated students, the writing in this manga has been on a awesome new level. I wish we got more chapters a week.!!!1

Arabesque

I agree, considering her mother looks nothing like her I think it's obvious she's the traitor/compromised member even if she herself doesn't realize it. I don't think she's evil persay just not a clone but an android.

Aries' mother from that chapter where the parents meet was also the only one to display some measure of care and compassion to her when she was lost, so I think that she might also be an augmented human rather a full in android given her mother had raised her and watched her grow.

Maybe brain implants, a la Batman Beyond?

Food Wars

Reverse sweep is gonna happen for sure, apologizes to dtl but story wise these 3 are the most expendable.

I actually think if any match has a chance of an upset, it would be Kuga winning against Tsukasa.

It is going to depend if it is revealed that, in the same way Doujima was the first seat but Jouchirou was the best chef in his generation, Tsukasa is the first seat but Rindou is better than him, and only became his second seat because of the promise she made him when they were first years.

Somei vs Subaru will end up probably with Subaru losing to curb on his skill being broken, and pave the way to Erina vs Somei.

Megashima, unless whatever deal/promise he has with Soma turns out to be earth shattering, is going to lose to Rindou.

Tsukasa vs Kuga will depend on whether or not he is better than Rindou or not, and whether Tsukuda wants to this to not be predictable.

BLack Clover

I think Xerx is just sitting it out because he knows Dorksta and Mimosa are good enough, I also dont think he is a baddie, he'll do the right thing and be helpful when needed, why else is he vice captain level?

Im sad YunoDorksta is only possible if the finals happen.

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch569

Tomo is doomed.

Comprehensive Tovarisch ch8.6

Ah, the joys of studying. Kanna might be cranky, but at least she's effective.

Cheerful Amnesia ch7

I wish I could be this enthusiastic about working.

Amnesia sure makes you bold.

Drifters ch66

Pretty crazy marksmanship, and Toyohisa is plain crazy, lol.

Miss Sunflower ch34

She was thoughtful about it at least. It's a pretty nice and personal gift.

Konya wa Tsuki ga Kirei desu ga, Toriaezu Shine ch12

Guess things are coming to a head sooner than later.

Minamoto-kun Monogatari ch209

That's one way to catch one's interest.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Shudan! - I hate sports but I like the guy doing this. Oh the moral dilemma. Either way, this was a very good first chapter and made me care. Don't know if it made me care enough to follow though.

Promised Neverland - So that monster design was fucking terrible. You know how I know? Because the dude who killed it looks so fucking dope!!!! I'm enjoying the running battle style I think the series is about to take. I'm curious to see how it handles this next stretch.

Seven Deadly Sins - I actually do like the lore of this series and the little hints it thows out. And I do like Melodias straight up lying about what he knows, even if it annoys the hell out of me.

Aries' mother from that chapter where the parents meet was also the only one to display some measure of care and compassion to her when she was lost, so I think that she might also be an augmented human rather a full in android given her mother had raised her and watched her grow.

Maybe brain implants, a la Batman Beyond?

I actually think if any match has a chance of an upset, it would be Kuga winning against Tsukasa.

It is going to depend if it is revealed that, in the same way Doujima was the first seat but Jouchirou was the best chef in his generation, Tsukasa is the first seat but Rindou is better than him, and only became his second seat because of the promise she made him when they were first years.

Somei vs Subaru will end up probably with Subaru losing to curb on his skill being broken, and pave the way to Erina vs Somei.

Megashima, unless whatever deal/promise he has with Soma turns out to be earth shattering, is going to lose to Rindou.

Tsukasa vs Kuga will depend on whether or not he is better than Rindou or not, and whether Tsukuda wants to this to not be predictable.

I agree with you that Rindou is clearly the best in the school, but Kuga is gonna get slapped around by Tsukasa. The twist will come out later when they do some erina/soma vs tsukasa and isshiki vs rindou exposing that Rindou is actually must stronger and "erina made a mistake" when they lose their second strongest chef in a bad match up.

---

Also I think for astra
I think it's clear Aries is somehow related to charce's dead friend. She may be a clone of the dead friend, or an android built to look like the dead girl. Heck perhaps the mother doesn't even realize her Aries isn't the original.

Arabesque

I agree with you that Rindou is clearly the best in the school, but Kuga is gonna get slapped around by Tsukasa. The twist will come out later when they do some erina/soma vs tsukasa and isshiki vs rindou exposing that Rindou is actually must stronger and "erina made a mistake" when they lose their second strongest chef in a bad match up.

See, it's that exact scenario that makes me put down Kuga coming out of this with an unexpected victory. It's either him barely winning against Tsukasa or Tsukasa winning out with a wipe out here, but it changes the upcoming matches in a way that makes them either predictable or exciting.

We can pretty much follow through this tournament to it's ending if Tsukasa wins here because everything will be easy to predict (unless Tsukuda throws some curve ball like Erina and Soma both losing to Tsukasa and/or Rindo).

A Kuga victory here changes the entire later make up of the arc, giving any future match an anything-goes outcome. It also works out much better for the future after this arc (if the series doesn't conclude after it) because then Soma doesn't immediately become the first seat on the council in his second year.

I put it as 50/50 on Kuga's chances here, where Subaru has 0 chances of victory, and Megashima only 20% (depending on whatever the deal he had with Soma has any importances).

Also I think for astra
I think it's clear Aries is somehow related to charce's dead friend. She may be a clone of the dead friend, or an android built to look like the dead girl. Heck perhaps the mother doesn't even realize her Aries isn't the original.

That's the reason why
I mentioned augmented rather than just an android, because it is very likely that she had been cloned of Charce's dead friend, and then artificially enhanced to grow older so that Aries' mother could raise her without any suspicion about her age or some such.

It might also explain her photographic memory being such a huge point about her, because her brain had been altered/modified, or augmented through cybernetic enhancements in order to keep her as a watchful eye on the crew.

I'm honestly also curious about how the crew will try and manage to get through this development. They usually had to struggle with all these dangers in order to make sure they manage to survive so they can all get back home alive.

But now, they realised that they might not have a home to go back to. Where do they go from here, how do they internalize that they themselves are
merely products to their originals, that they no longer have ''parents''?

Pretty damn cool, looking forward to how it all unfolds.

bobohoro

Tomo-chan 569

Now I want this to be a battle manga.
Cotton Candy vs. Tomo would be a fun fight.

We can't study 17

This manga is really just junk food.

Zweizer

Banned
Cheerful Amnesia ch7

5SQSvnG.png

That's one way to look at it. Gotta say, she certainly is a cheerful amnesiac.

Rokudou no Onna-tachi ch32

Guess it's peaceful for now.

Madoka - Goddess' and Devil's Family Planning (SFW short)
To the victor, the spoils. To the loser, being spoiled. Being able to write your own route has to be one of the greatest perks of devil powers, even if the user is too self-destructive to take proper advantage of it. Well, with the strength of their feelings, it's not like the ending will change either way. Also:
If doujins have taught me anything, it's that they can overcome their genetic limitations through the power of magic.
confirmed

Chase17

Shudan! 01

Solid chapter. I like the art and how they built up the three main characters. The team captain was also funny. I would have liked to gotten a better idea of the direction of the series so hopefully that comes in a chapter or two. Large focus on the scrimmage was nice.

One Piece 868
The plan failing has already been fun.

Robot x Laserbeam 12
One of the strongest chapters of the series so far. While we saw an attitude shift earlier but it was good to get it more official and in depth here. I think the dynamic of Robo having to win his teammates over/work hard for his goal is nice. And of course him declaring that he is going for first because he wants to is nice after how he had to be dragged around everywhere in the early chapters.

We Never Learn 16
The gag of each of them running into the room was funny. Don't care about this teacher plot/character so far.

Promised Neverland 42
I thought the end of last chapter was bad then this happened lol.

Black Clover 113
Not really feeling this new guy. Yuno/Noelle team up could be interesting. Tournament already moving fast.

Dr. Stone 14
So it looks like we will be jumping forward in time. I guess the point of the time rewind was to set up the new goal of learning about the petrification. Last two chapters didn't really feel needed yet, but Senku is by far my favorite character in the series so I'm fine with it.

Dr. Stone 14
So it looks like we will be jumping forward in time. I guess the point of the time rewind was to set up the new goal of learning about the petrification. Last two chapters didn't really feel needed yet, but Senku is by far my favorite character in the series so I'm fine with it.

I mean Dr Stone has a whopping 4 characters so far and Yuzuriha hasn't done anything so that leaves you with a 33% chance of senku being anyones favorite character :p

horimiya 79

Miyamura the sudden hair expert. I think he's a little too proud of his work.

New Game 43

I guess its already been a year, Aoba is still the newbie though.

Cheerful Amnesia 1 - 8

Well, she sure seems to take the whole amnesia thing well.

Chase17

I mean Dr Stone has a whopping 4 characters so far and Yuzuriha hasn't done anything so that leaves you with a 33% chance of senku being anyones favorite character :p
lol. I think it would almost be safe to bump out Taiju and make it 50%.

I'll step up the quality of my takes next week when I declare yuzuriha the best female character in the series.

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch570

Yeah, who'd want to invite this guy.

Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san ch55-56

Sometimes he really ought to stop to try outsmarting her.

Mitsuboshi Colors ch27

Damn, so young and already such a cold-blooded negotiator.

Koi wa Ameagari no You ni ch37

To be fair, that's a weird tree.

Top Bottom