• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

Sekirei 157 - So Minato finally learns the truth. After everyone else on the planet. Not sure why I'm still reading this...the momentum died so long ago its not funny. Reminds me of Rosario to Vampire in that way...though at least it hasn't really a totally stupid tonal shift.

DarkMehm

Sekirei 157
At least, she is constantly pumping out chapters again. Got really worried that she might drop this. Probably has another 20 chapters left until the end.

MikeMyers

Sekirei 157 - So Minato finally learns the truth. After everyone else on the planet. Not sure why I'm still reading this...the momentum died so long ago its not funny. Reminds me of Rosario to Vampire in that way...though at least it hasn't really a totally stupid tonal shift.

Sekirei 157
At least, she is constantly pumping out chapters again. Got really worried that she might drop this. Probably has another 20 chapters left until the end.

Huh, I watched the anime of this a while back and was wondering the manga was worth a read. I did check out the R+V manga and got bored of it around S2.

Nordicus

Jitsu wa Watashi wa 15

Another chapter where the reactions just slay me. Good stuff

LPiG2M7.jpg
IS THERE ANYONE NORMAL IN THIS SCHOOL?!
Normalcy is death!

Quasar

Huh, I watched the anime of this a while back and was wondering the manga was worth a read. I did check out the R+V manga and got bored of it around S2.

So even before the tonal shift? That was my beef with R+V...that tonal shift and an arc that went on forever. Right up until it just ended.

With Sekirei I've just felt it lost a whole lot of its momentum, in part probably because of frequency of chapters. And whilst they are flowing again now, its hard to get my interest level back. Plus there's probably more battling and less romance.

From what I've heard, Stealth Symphony is another "world full of monsters" series, just like Hachi and Iron Knight.

Sounds like Shueisha were really ashamed they turned down Attack on Titan and are serializing as many "monster" series as they can.
Yep, there does seem to be some trend in the series Jump is trotting out. Stealth Symphony looked more colorful though....

MikeMyers

So even before the tonal shift? That was my beef with R+V...that tonal shift and an arc that went on forever. Right up until it just ended.

With Sekirei I've just felt it lost a whole lot of its momentum, in part probably because of frequency of chapters. And whilst they are flowing again now, its hard to get my interest level back. Plus there's probably more battling and less romance.

Eh, I just liked the harem aspects of R+V which it seemed to have lost as it went on. Dont know exactly when I dropped it.

is the Sekirei manga similar to the anime, or is it its own thing?

wonzo

Banned
This and other works from the same author makes you see the original Blame! manga in a more positive light, eh? I think it's still his best work.
Yeah, I really liked Blame! but it wasn't until I delved into some of the dudes other stuff that I actually started to appreciate just how special a series it is.

Saying that, I'm really digging what little I've read of Sidonia so far.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Still, don't most shounen protags have a brilliance, but are fallible so they can't make use of all of their brilliance, only to later develop that brilliance through whatever means?

Still, don't most shounen protags have a brilliance, but are fallible so they can't make use of all of their brilliance, only to later develop that brilliance through whatever means?

They do, but most of them are such idiots at times. Goku, Luffy, Ichigo, Naruto, Sakuragi Hanamichi for example.

If there's a shonen protagonist that I want a kid to aspire to be like, it's Soma. Not those.

Antiwhippy

They do, but most of them are such idiots at times. Goku, Luffy, Ichigo, Naruto, Sakuragi Hanamichi for example.

If there's a shonen protagonist that I want a kid to aspire to be like, it's Soma. Not those.

Haha, true. Though soma can be pretty idiotic at times, in the pretty stereotypical "idiot at love" role.

Antiwhippy

The legendary musings of professor munakata

Dat title.

Dat face.

This is kind of awesome actually. Awesome japanese dude with a badass moustache and jacket trying to unravel the origins of various myths in japan, such as the myth of the seven swans, and somehow ties it with the seven stars and japan's spread of iron use.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Soma 59

Are we suppose to know who that giant guy was at the end? There have been so many characters in this first round I've forgotten so many of them.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Shokugeki no Soma

I'm glad Soma only got second place, It means Hayama will still be a major obstacle in this arc.

I would love to see scenes like muscled Soma animated. If an anime happens.

Bleach

Kenpachi will kill Yhwach.

Byakuya will kill Haschwald

Ichigo will be trapped by the Royal Guard who reveal their true motives.

The Spirit King will be the final villain.

This arc is ending, theres no way Yhwach is goin to last much longer. The Stern Ritter are basically being slaughtered, and the reinforcements haven't arrived yet. yhwach and the quincy in the grand scheme of things are unimportant, and this entire arc has been 1 giant waste of time. COUNT on it.

Antiwhippy

The Temple of El Alamein 2

Apparently the egyptians domesticated dinosaurs in order to build the pyramids guys.

This a pretty fun manga about various small made up stories and apocryphas from the second world war, from the german side. I wasn't so sure about it at first with the first chapter being about an unreported american submarine thwarting operation seelowe, but egyptians domesticating dinosaurs definitely rings a few bullshit meters.

Bleach

Kenpachi will kill Yhwach.

Byakuya will kill Haschwald

Ichigo will be trapped by the Royal Guard who reveal their true motives.

The Spirit King will be the final villain.

This arc is ending, theres no way Yhwach is goin to last much longer. The Stern Ritter are basically being slaughtered, and the reinforcements haven't arrived yet. yhwach and the quincy in the grand scheme of things are unimportant, and this entire arc has been 1 giant waste of time. COUNT on it.

I think you missed the part where every dead quincy = more power for Yhwach

LeleSocho

Banned
Shokugeki no Soma 59
Dat punch was awesome, i laughed at the minor character... too bad that the dish wasn't anything ultra-mega awesome though.

Mob Psycho 100 55
Goddamnit Dimple why you had to rip that tendon sdgfskjfhg3elfihrlfuhlkfhew

Donyatsu 36
noooooo i don't want Shigeru to be a bad guy :(

Tetsuwan Girl 71-73
Oh Snap! I'm sure she'll use it as a episode to gain even more people to the game

Kenichi 558
I wonder if we'll ever see Ba fighting seriously... or is that his way to be serious?

Tamanon

Banned
Soma

I actually don't mind that Soma didn't come in first. I like that this manga still seems to be approaching this as a school, so Soma is building on previous lessons and failures.

upandaway

Soma

I wanna say that I called it, but that was the most safe outcome possible :lol anyway it was great. Those punches, that Erina. I'll be honest I completely forgot about the mastermind guy, haha.

The big guy needs to take lessons from Tadokoro about how to do a surprise finish!

Nordicus

If by that you mean girls in Kuromine's bizarre "harem", probably not many more because all the girls revealed so far have appeared on the cover together one time

Then again this manga volume is about to end, so maybe in the next one we'll see for sure

scy

If by that you mean girls in Kuromine's bizarre "harem", probably not many more because all the girls revealed so far have appeared on the cover together one time

Not even just the harem, though any added characters will probably be more girls anyway. Just like ... how many regular people are even in this school? Just going to keep having more people show up with "oops, I'm really a ____"

It's quickly becoming a less smutty version of Monster Musume :x

Hey MangaGaf. I plan to start posting here more often. Been getting into Manga again and want to start a collection.

Right now I am reading Toradora, Highschool of the Dead omnibus sets and making my way through the K-On manga. Looking for suggestions of recent series that you all love, maybe something along the lines of Toradora.

Thanks! Hope you all don't mind the request.

scy

I think All You Need is Kill has really good art direction and at least a great opening chapter, plot wise, I feel like theres been no surprises.

It's just been slow, really. Not too much has happened but it's somehow dragged it out to 7 Chapters. It's not like it was all fluff but I guess it's just that it doesn't feel like the kind of story that fits a weekly format.

Hey MangaGaf. I plan to start posting here more often. Been getting into Manga again and want to start a collection.

Right now I am reading Toradora, Highschool of the Dead omnibus sets and making my way through the K-On manga. Looking for suggestions of recent series that you all love, maybe something along the lines of Toradora.

Thanks! Hope you all don't mind the request.

Well, I want to plug Game Over and Horimiya.

LOL Kuu made fun of him as well and Higa lost all his hating momentum, Minato is such a troll.

Sekirei left a bad taste in my mouth ever since the best girl
died aka Uzume.
;_;

I'm just waiting for it to end and see if Minato gets his harem or not and if he will finally get laid.

Lain

The Breaker New Waves 149

This type of resolution was disappointing. I wanted to see some punches being thrown between teacher and student. Instead I get this meh end to the attack and glasses dude is still alive too.

Aizo

Banned
Warau Kyūketsuki
30931l.jpg

I really don't like eroguro, but I do love Horror manga. I really need to read more of Maruo's stuff because he is important to the genre. It's just so damn creepy, and not in the right way. It was interesting, but flawed. The art was great, as always, but that's not enough. I look forward to reading the Edogawa Ranpo stories. Ranpo is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom