• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.
ZxTZX4V.png

D-Frag! 43-45

lol Kazama breaking the fourth wall.

Now that he mentions it, there were quite a few who appeared when they were playing that game.

Kusshi senpai and Mama Kazama are really dependable characters.

The Hundred Youths bit was embarrassing though.

survivor

Banned
I can't continue reading Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun until chapters 19-21 are translated even though there is no continuity.

Just saw that Takano Ichigo drew some fanart for Titan. So hot, would pick up the manga again if it actually looked this good

scy

Speaking of raccoon x raccoon, I'm reminded of Ningen Deshita which involves a hamster and a girl.

...okay, only sort of involved a hamster. Well, largely involves a hamster but it's cheating probably to count it that way.

If there was ever another scy, you'd be the better scy, probably.

Especially after I kill him and absorb his power.

Begun to pick up nana to kaoru where I last left it, and man, this arc made me cry manly tears. ;_;7

Kaoru's biggest damn moment of awesome.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Nana to Kaoru 102

One thing that I keep forgetting is that kaoru is legitly a great romance protagonist. It's kinda amazing how much the author can translate his love and growth as a human being in an S&M way.

scy

Nana to Kaoru 102

One thing that I keep forgetting is that kaoru is legitly a great romance protagonist. It's kinda amazing how much the author can translate his love and growth as a human being in an S&M way.

Considering all the talk of fetishes and everything throughout the series, they're also such a super pure as hell couple.

Now if we can only have a real confession happen.
f0N5Eap.png

Edit: Nana to Kaoru Arashi 41-42 - oh.

well, okay. I guess that counts as one.

Lain

Kousha no Ura ni wa Tenshi ga Umerarete Iru 1-3

This was disturbing. Chapter 3 especially, with the way it ended. I'm not sure I really want to read more, but I'm curious to know how it'll turn out.

Soma

Have you read Hoshi no Furu Machi? Pretty decent romance story if you don't mind the art style.
I actually liked Hara Hidenori's artwork for this and the Densha Otoko manga. There's something really charming about it.

That said, really wasn't a fan of how this one ended (which was really good up until that point). :/

survivor

Banned
I actually liked Hara Hidenori's artwork for this and the Densha Otoko manga. There's something really charming about it.

That said, really wasn't a fan of how this one ended (which was really good up until that point). :/

I'm not a huge fan of his character designs even though they are different than the usual so they are a bit refreshing, but I really liked his double spreads, very pretty stuff. Also he has interesting panels composition and designs, especially for the close up shots of characters reactions.

Jintor

I have a six-month buffer on Nana to Kaoru that I'm unwilling to jump into. Every time I want to read it I end up re-reading the whole thing.

survivor

Banned
Kabu no Isaki vol 5-6 End

I... what just happened these last couple chapters? I feel like there was something huge the manga was trying to tell me, but I just can't make sense of it all. Parallel worlds? Time travel? All just one big metaphor? I really don't know, I need some time to think about this one.

But anyway, this was a good read as expected of Ashinano. I don't think it was able to contain the same highs as YKK consistently, but when it did reach them, it was pretty great. Ashinano's art is still able to tell great deal of emotion and showing the grand scale of scenes with use of shadows, emptiness, and shading. Very pretty scenery shots overall.

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun

Ahhhhh, this is so good.

Everything about it is so hilarious. That average synopsis of the series does it no justice.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the (possible) anime gets done for this.

survivor

Banned
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun

Ahhhhh, this is so good.

Everything about it is so hilarious. That average synopsis of the series does it no justice.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the (possible) anime gets done for this.

It will be interesting to see if they will make it skits based like Nichijou/Nichibros or attempt to connect the different pages into a focused story for each episode.

It will be interesting to see if they will make it skits based like Nichijou/Nichibros or attempt to connect the different pages into a focused story for each episode.

As long as it doesn't get the dreaded 5 minutes episodes cause I don't think I could stand watching that little every week.

Nana to Kaoru caught up

man that arc with the student council dude, Kaoru and his friends was bro as fuck, also liking this new arc.

really should read Arashi but i'm foolishly saving it in the hopes of the main series eventually reaching at that point (plus i'm lazy). Maybe i'll check it eventually

Kurita

きのこたけのこ

So I was trying to look for info about Asano's newest oneshot and it turned out the magazine it was published in is available for free on Kindle on Japanese Amazon. I couldn't download it from there as I have no Kindle, but it is available to browse for free on the Japanese Yahoo bookstore which I didn't even know it was a thing before.

I can't read shit, but it looked like a pretty interesting sci-fi/fantasy war thingy.
I wonder if he's still thinking about doing a manga about transgender people.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Kabu no Isaki vol 5-6 End

I... what just happened these last couple chapters? I feel like there was something huge the manga was trying to tell me, but I just can't make sense of it all. Parallel worlds? Time travel? All just one big metaphor? I really don't know, I need some time to think about this one.

But anyway, this was a good read as expected of Ashinano. I don't think it was able to contain the same highs as YKK consistently, but when it did reach them, it was pretty great. Ashinano's art is still able to tell great deal of emotion and showing the grand scale of scenes with use of shadows, emptiness, and shading. Very pretty scenery shots overall.

Haha, I was kinda waiting to hear your impressions of the ending.

I kind of just though that it was a failed attempt at creating something profound in the last minute. It didn't really convey anything to me.

survivor

Banned
Well, whatever he is working on, I hope it gets published soon cause after Girl by the Sea vol 2, I will have no more Asano stuff to look forward to.

Haha, I was kinda waiting to hear your impressions of the ending.

I kind of just though that it was a failed attempt at creating something profound in the last minute. It didn't really convey anything to me.

I feel like he did some build up for it with the Mt. Fuji visit and all the stuff Shiro talked about which made me really excited about the eventual reveal, but then the ending was completely underwhelming and just felt rushed. I'm still not sure what Ashinano was trying to accomplish with it.

Aizo

Banned
Hōrō Musuko - Vol. 11-15; End
Takatsuki really lost a lot of her development when
things between her and Nitori ended, and she stopped wanting to be a boy.
What's up with that? I really think the manga should have gone a bit longer. I feel unsatisfied with that ending. I mean, in a lot of respects, it's an appropriate finish. More could surely have been expanded upon, though... Overall, I really enjoyed my time reading this. I finally decided to finish it last night.

I really hope so. I wonder if Asano will one day go through with an operation. I haven't read any news about that in a while.

Kaichou wa Maid-sama 50-85

Decent manga. Nothing overly impressive or special just a solid shoujo. Also helps that I was bored out of my mind and needed something to do. Thank goodness I remember where I left off in this piece of work. Don't regret reading it. Pretty enjoyable actually.

Aizo

Banned
Well, Asano said recently that he wanted to be referred to by using "he/him" so I don't know if a sex-change operation is still planned.
http://matt-thorn.com/wordpress/?p=670

Oh, cool. Thanks for the link. Matt Thorn is an awesome translator, and nice guy. He has written very interesting pieces in length about gender and preferred pronouns that I've seen since he worked on Hourou Musuko.

Edit: In an article/post yesterday, he mentioned that he directly contacted Asano and got the same answer.

Nordicus

Kokodake no Hanashi 1-2

Perverted girl falls in love with a Buddhist monk after her most recent break-up

Eeeeeh, it's alright. The fact that the love interest is bald, which never fucking happens, is a plus, but I really expected and wanted the monk's charm to be more subtle.

He's pretty much your standard bishounen love interest but with just a bit of extra motivation to not seduce everyone he meets. His behaviour and words still downright spew flowers into the panels though, and that honestly takes much of the fun out of this premise

Westlo

He is working on some samurai historical manga which is a sequel/remake to this series. He posted a picture about it on his website and I think only 2 chapters been out so far. There doesn't seem to be any translations available however.

Ah thanks for that, shame it looks like he's doing a series that won't be translated and even if it was I probably wouldn't bother with anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom