• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Toriko kind of has a more mixed reception in terms of being good or not when compared with feelings from folks on Magi and One Piece. Anime for Toriko certainly turned folks away.

Toriko turned me off during that stupid great war or whatever nonsense.

It's slowly making me like it but I expect I'll probably hate it again once it goes back to stupid fighting.

Nordicus

Has everyone always read this, or didn't this just become popular recently on ManGAF?
I've been reading it for a good while, about a year or so. It's just that the recent chapters of the Black Label spin-off showed the 2 protagonist's relationship finally develop further, so people are cheering right now

I picked it up for a moment while I was in a cat cafe today. Looks questionable.
Questionable? Naah...

Eg74QUv.jpg

...well okay, a little. It's a series based on exploring S&M, dude!

scy

It's not all that over-the-top, really ... I mean, all things considered. I think that's what I mean. Something like that.

Really though, the pairing and even just some of the character development moments throughout are really good.

Maou na Ano Ko to Murabito A - oh god demon lord pls

Though, they all basically look like characters from Haganai.

Korosenai

One Piece

I'm actually pretty excited for a potential Kyros/Doflamingo fight. I actually hope Kyros is the one to finish him off, since Luffy still doesn't really have a reason to fight Doflamingo. Pica seems pretty beastly as well, so it may take Zoro and Luffy together to take him down.

Has everyone always read this, or didn't this just become popular recently on ManGAF? I picked it up for a moment while I was in a cat cafe today. Looks questionable.

I think more interesting is that you were at a cat cafe.

keyword is More

t-there's more?

Maou na Ano Ko to Murabito A - oh god demon lord pls

Though, they all basically look like characters from Haganai.

pretty much but also less rage-inducing than Haganai

Mothman91

One Piece

So wait, Solider is her father and Kyros? Am I getting this straight, or was Kyros just an actual lie for "hope" to the gladiators?

Bonnouji 01-08

Welp, now I know why this was suggested:

AI8Uicq.png

Cynical me immediately came to the conclusion that this has to have a really sad ending. Thankfully I was assured that's apparently not the case.

So damn good.

kasane

I remember i have read some weird ass guro hentai, i didn't even know why i kept reading, morbid curiosity i guess.

Needless to say it scarred me

Bleach 570

Don't want Kenpachi to return for this fight.

Rather save him for Bach and let Yachiru take the spotlight.

One Piece 739

I just can't make myself care about the dwarves/Rebecca/soldier storyline.

Toriko turned me off during that stupid great war or whatever nonsense.

It's slowly making me like it but I expect I'll probably hate it again once it goes back to stupid fighting.

Yeah, i was hoping to actually see the cooking festival and see Komatsu shine, but no, there has to be fighting. It also made plenty of character introduced nothing more than wasted panels.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I think that unlike Ishida's childhood "friends" and classmates, Ueno genuinely liked him and had a crush on him (that still continues to today). So when the Nishimaya bullying finally blew up in their (Ishida's) faces, she wasn't able to just forget about it and turn the bullying to Ishida. Obviously she wasn't brave enough to face the social risks and help Ishida, and instead she turns the blame to Nishimaya for "causing" all of this (though I think she admits in this last chapter that it was kind of their fault too for not understanding Nishimaya). By seeing the guy she liked tormented so much she was hurt by the situation as well, but has done an extremely poor job of dealing with it. Rather than trying to change herself like Ishida she's simply taking her anger out on Nishimaya in some vain hope that Ishida will go back to his old middle-school self..

Hopefully that comes off as somewhat clear. Basically I think the Nishimaya "incident" hurt her as well but she wasn't able to deal with it appropriately and is now suffering the consequences. If her reaction in the Ferris Wheel was any indication, I have to imagine her life isn't going too well either (I might be totally imagining things but I'm thinking back to how she was so timid and hidden when Ishida first ran into her again).

I might be thinking into this way more than I should but I find Ueno to be an extremely interesting character, much more than most characters in the manga I read haha
Sorry for not responding earlier, forgot I asked you about this lol. I personally thought the reason why she was hurt was because the bullying incident damaged her relationship with Ishida to the point that they weren't on speaking terms; I guess while there was still the threat of immediate social ostracism for hanging out with him (i.e., while they went to the same school), she kept her distance mostly, besides asking about his virginity like a creep. What I'm getting at is that she was hurt because she couldn't spend time with him freely anymore and because she knew he truly despised her after the scapegoat incident. I dunno, I don't see her as sympathetic to get hurt because he's hurt; I interpret her love to be more selfish than that. This could be a wrong assumption, because that doesn't really reconcile her behavior when she was hiding her identity from him at the cat club. My tentative explanation for that is that she was happy he didn't reject her invitation, which implied that they could maybe make peace with each other, but she was still expecting her confession to be rejected?

I also don't think she was entirely lashing out her hatred against Nishimiya. Sure, she hates her for taking away Ishida (in more ways than one), but she intended to get along with her at least for appearances' sake. What garnered the slap was Nishimiya saying she hated herself, and I think that was just out of frustration that Ishida was doting and wasting his time on a girl who had already given up on herself. There are probably better reasons than that though. Ueno's definitely interesting, but we haven't seen nearly everything from her yet. There's still a lot of stuff about her that isn't certain. Even her motives aren't free from doubt.

blah blah Iron Maiden forgot it's real name 29 or whatever chapter is the latest one
Relieved that he's going to go save Tsukiko. I'm not really a fan of netorare or whatever that trope is called. I guess her condition is tied to being a virgin? I would think that losing her virginity would cure the symptoms, but that doesn't explain why the stuco president was going to rat her out after raping her. Would they still want to study someone who couldn't generate the iron things anymore? I thought that an iron person was indistinguishable from a normal person unless they're manifesting the iron things.

scy

is it also your thing

excel spreadsheets tho

blah blah Iron Maiden forgot it's real name 29 or whatever chapter is the latest one
Relieved that he's going to go save Tsukiko. I'm not really a fan of netorare or whatever that trope is called. I guess her condition is tied to being a virgin? I would think that losing her virginity would cure the symptoms, but that doesn't explain why the stuco president was going to rat her out after raping her. Would they still want to study someone who couldn't generate the iron things anymore? I thought that an iron person was indistinguishable from a normal person unless they're manifesting the iron things.

There's (so far) nothing close to what would be NTR.

As for the iron stuff, I ... don't know. I didn't even think much about that plot point, honestly. I just viewed it as something to get her with the MC / show signs of her growing affection (the pink iron) for the MC.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
One Piece

So wait, Solider is her father and Kyros? Am I getting this straight, or was Kyros just an actual lie for "hope" to the gladiators?

Her father is Kyros, yes. Kyros was a prince, and the hero of the colloseum. When he was turned into a toy everyone forgot about him, like with all the toys. The only remnant was that statue, and Rebecca said one theory for the statue was that it was a lie built by the other warriors to give them hope. But that was just a guess made by people with no memory, wondering why this statue existed. The truth is as depicted at the end of the chapter today.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
There's (so far) nothing close to what would be NTR.

As for the iron stuff, I ... don't know. I didn't even think much about that plot point, honestly. I just viewed it as something to get her with the MC / show signs of her growing affection (the pink iron) for the MC.
To be honest, I have no idea what NTR really entails. I assumed it was just the love interest getting with a love rival instead of getting with their real love interest based on stupid internet comments that I should ignore lol.

And yeah it's pretty much just a plot device, but I figured that the back story of it would be consistent at least.

Assassination Classroom 79
And that's how you undermine authority effectively.

Solune

oh right, 3DS, I forget I could go online on it.

hopefully I'll remember when I get home to re-add you, haha
Quoting so I remember to add the list as well...
Not a healthy attitude. This is what leads to hate-reading and rage and despair.
That's everyone in this thread though
NiA.png

Dat banner, hnnnnnnngggg

You and Lain have finally made your work pay off! Also Hi Score Girl getting the attention it deserves!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom