• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

survivor

Banned
survivor is back brehs

*spazzes out*
nakama

no

youre wrong

Theyre really good at Urasawa'ing the end of their manga though
They just don't know when to end their series. Seriously, just put a restriction that their new work can't be longer than 8 volumes and I'm sure we will get something good at the end.

Well, first volume sold 700.000 units.

oh we talking sales? Ok I withdraw my imaginary gif then.

Stinky

They just don't know when to end their series. Seriously, just put a restriction that their new work can't be longer than 8 volumes and I'm sure we will get something good at the end.

Bakuman's final arc is hilarious to me because I'm pretty sure they both thought they were ending Bakuman "right" like the main characters wanted to do with reversi.

Yonafunu

Those people are lying and dishonest.

No one in their right mind considers part 4 the best, in fact it was one of the lowest points of JoJo. And it didn't even have the "Araki is inexperienced!" excuse like Part 1 did.

Just pointless filler shit.

Vento Aureo is genuinely really good.

Except for the villain, one of the worst villains easily.

Wow, wow, WOW! I've never read anything as wrong as this. NEVER.

Part 4 is undoubtedly the best part so far, with Vento Aureo definitely being the worst.

3,005,339 Toriko / five volumes
2,974,750 Bleach / four volumes

hmmm...

I wonder if the 2011 results DTL posted had the same outcome of bleach having less volumes? Would be interesting.

Still Toriko could have that "pop off" point similar to what OP experienced (though not as huge).

They might as well not be in Jump then

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Bakuman's final arc is hilarious to me because I'm pretty sure they both thought they were ending Bakuman "right" like the main characters wanted to do with reversi.

Bakuman's core macguffin was actually kind of offensive to my senses. The entire manga is actually pretty fucking sexist when you think about it.

Granted, I think I'm just salty about the whole Idol arc being presented in the way it was without any sort of editorial comment on how the fuck that can exist; I will admit, however, I'm imposing American values on a foreign culture.

For Moyashimon fans, but thought this video was a pretty clever way to market the new volume. Basically the author goes to some bookstores in Japan and vandalizes draws sketches either on posters to put up or just at various places around the store.

High School Debut (shoujo as fuck so maybe you won't like it)

New sequel chapter coming. Not sure if excite

Pimpwerx

Gantz

Kei-kun is tearing shit up. Meh. Tai-chan's chant has caught on with the rest of the world. Meh. The 4chan stuff continues to pop up. Meh. This manga might be near ending. Yay!

Also, how are we only now getting backstory for Kurono? I mean, I don't remember him and that tall dude being childhood friends. This seems awful late in the game to be establishing those kinds of bonds. PEACE.

River's Edge
Baka and Gogh
Living Game (this one isn't about high school students, but it's good slice of life drama)
High School Debut (shoujo as fuck so maybe you won't like it)

I will check out River's Edge and Baka and Gogh first as they seem to be on the shorter side and HSD and LG later. Thanks!

upandaway

Bakuman's core macguffin was actually kind of offensive to my senses. The entire manga is actually pretty fucking sexist when you think about it.

Granted, I think I'm just salty about the whole Idol arc being presented in the way it was without any sort of editorial comment on how the fuck that can exist; I will admit, however, I'm imposing American values on a foreign culture.
I don't know what I'm gonna do with that stuff, man... I can't read AKB49 anymore either (I stopped when the old man was sitting slumped in the bathroom with a wall of CDs while his daughter was calling him gross, opting to use a bathroom outside the house).

I know I'm being a bit strong but that's just my pure reaction to those things, outside of trying to rationalize why I don't like it. I find Domina no Do and Not Popular easy to digest and funny in a silly way, but... I guess idol drama is my limit. It just wears me out.

Mugen no Minamo ni 1

jQyo5uy.png

Yuri moe murders. Thank you based manga. Added to my list of things I'm stalking.

Nickelodeon 26 (Green END)

As with the previous story, this succeeded in putting an upside down smile on my face.

survivor

Banned
Nineteen, Twenty-One ch 1-21 End
izmn42U5Ckbbq.jpg

Nice and heart-warming slice of life story about adults unsure about life and growing up, love, and cats. Lots and lots of cats. I mean I don't even hate cats, but they really gave them a lot of focus. It's understandable since they are the main conflict of the story and the two main characters met through them, but I really wanted more attention to the characters' anxiety about adult life and romance plotline, and less comparing your life to a cat. I just can't see any comparison to a stray cat being relevant or important.

The characters were charming, although the male MC was kinda bland. He just had a gimmick about caring a lot about cats and that's it. He definitely wasn't as interesting or with a good backstory like Nuna. One thing I'm glad about is how the story didn't really paint the lady that cared for the neighbourhood in a bad light. They could have easily showed her as a controlling unsympathetic asshole, but I'm glad the story went with a more realistic portrayal.

Funnily enough, I did like the art even if it has the same problems as all other webtoon art. Some bad panels layout and sometimes the art feel soulless, but I didn't mind the colouring that much, and there was some great background art every once in a while.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Gantz

Kei-kun is tearing shit up. Meh. Tai-chan's chant has caught on with the rest of the world. Meh. The 4chan stuff continues to pop up. Meh. This manga might be near ending. Yay!

Also, how are we only now getting backstory for Kurono? I mean, I don't remember him and that tall dude being childhood friends. This seems awful late in the game to be establishing those kinds of bonds. PEACE.

What? I haven't read the beginning of Gantz in years but I am positive they showed Kei and dude were childhood friends tons of times.

It's why he calls him Kei Chan.

Nineteen, Twenty-One ch 1-21 End
izmn42U5Ckbbq.jpg

Nice and heart-warming slice of lice story about adults unsure about life and growing up, love, and cats. Lots and lots of cats. I mean I don't even hate cats, but they really gave them a lot of focus. It's understandable since they are the main conflict of the story and the two main characters met through them, but I really wanted more attention to the characters' anxiety about adult life and romance plotline, and less comparing your life to a cat. I just can't see any comparison to a stray cat being relevant or important.

The characters were charming, although the male MC was kinda bland. He just had a gimmick about caring a lot about cats and that's it. He definitely wasn't as interesting or with a good backstory like Nuna. One thing I'mg lad about is how the story didn't really paint the lady that cared for the neighbourhood in a bad light. They could have easily showed her as a controlling unsympathetic asshole, but I'm glad the story went with a more realistic portrayal.

Funnily enough, I did like the art even if it has the same problems as all other webtoon art. Some bad panels layout and sometimes the art feel soulless, but I didn't mind the colouring that much, and there was some great background art every once in a while.

Sounds interesting and with it being short plus finished wouldn't hurt

Gantz

?

That was known since the beginning and one of the reasons the tall dude got better as a character.

Kuroko no Basket 209

Well finally Kuroko is showing his talents in a real match. Akashi and Aomine really helped him there, sad about their eventual falling out.

And looks like Kise might appear next chapter.

suzu

Nanatsu no Taiza / The Seven Deadly Sins 23-24

Ban~♪ ♪

This holy knight lady is wrecking shit up. Nice entrance by King.

Early One Piece spoilers today

Redon at AP said:
- Bartolomeo has 150 million Berry bounty. His face is likes a beast.
- Bartolomeo is most hated pirate rank 1.
- Bellamy has 195 million Berry bounty. Seems that he attacked Skypiea people and took a golden pillar back for Doflamingo.
- Bellamy knows the old man is Luffy.
- Bellamy's goal is not Mera Mera no Mi, he just want to win the title and get on Dolfa's ship.
- Bellamy and Bartolomeo are B block.
- At the end of the chapter B block is starting to fight.

Solune

Skullgirls Title
I'd just like to add to my salt here. Screw everyone voting Beowulf.

That is your daily Public Salty Announcement.
So you let mangas get in the way of Waifu Strategy Simulators.

Woah, I thought you'd been eaten by a polar bear or something. Bit late but it's from Hyakki Yakou Lv.1 Jingai Shoukan

Listen to this man!

Haha I've been on GAF... Just not reading manga. And I don't see you in IRC anymore =(

The Place Promised in Our Early Days vol 1 End
looVq4A.jpg

Bad adaptation and really not on par with the other Shinkai's manga. The difference between this and 5cm or Voices manga is huge. For starters, if you were going to make Mizu Sahara your artist then at the very least let her draw bunch of coloured pages. Such a shame we only got one bad coloured page out of the entire manga. Also, unlike say Voices of Distant where the story got expanded on and improved or like 5cm where we got more screentime for other characters, this manga just cut out a lot of the story. I haven't watched the movie in a long time, but I'm pretty sure a lot of shit was left out. Why would you even bother making a manga adaptation if you were gonna butcher it like this and not even give it a proper ending.

Agh that really sucks since I liked this the most out of Shinkai's work... Incredibly shameful.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's only a failure relative to the expectations Jump clearly has for it.

WSJ getting greedy. Having two long running really well selling series plus several relatively popular mainstays is a pretty good benchmark. They're doing quite a bit better in that regard vs. a few years ago I imagine (although sales dropoffs are probably inevitable due to piracy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom