• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kusagari

WSJ getting greedy. Having two long running really well selling series plus several relatively popular mainstays is a pretty good benchmark. They're doing quite a bit better in that regard vs. a few years ago I imagine (although sales dropoffs are probably inevitable due to piracy)

You've got to wonder what they think about Togashi.

They would be pretty set if it actually ran on a consistent schedule.

Wiseblade

WSJ getting greedy. Having two long running really well selling series plus several relatively popular mainstays is a pretty good benchmark. They're doing quite a bit better in that regard vs. a few years ago I imagine (although sales dropoffs are probably inevitable due to piracy)

The problem is that once Naruto and Bleach end One Piece is going to be a huge outlier in the catalogue. Shueisha are afraid that nothing is strong enough to keep people buying Jump and getting exposed to newer series instead of just getting One Piece volumes.

Again!! 32-33

What? No, seriously what? I never thought we would jump back into the present (future?) so early in the manga. I was actually hoping the time travel bullshit doesn't get brought up till the end of the story. I'm not sure if it's really a good idea to start jumping back and forth between the past and the present day. And I really hope we don't spend that much time explaining time travel mechanics in this world cause it has no relevance to the story. At the very least this explains why the cover features both Aki and Hiro being friendly.

I'm not a fan of it either. I'm worried that Kubo doesn't know where to go from here, so she just threw in the time-travel stuff because it was something to do.

The problem is that once Naruto and Bleach end One Piece is going to be a huge outlier in the catalogue. Shueisha are afraid that nothing is strong enough to keep people buying Jump and getting exposed to newer series instead of just getting One Piece volumes.

Is that really the case? One Piece has been selling more and more, 20mln volume sales. Yet JUMP purchases seem to have been going down and down and down (isnt it only at 3 million now). Its not like their competitor has a "one piece" yet still has kind of close mag sales.

wonzo

Banned
[Behind Moon] Dulce Report II 2

dulcereportII2.png

Such a heartwarming reunion with Aoi. ;_;

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I think the WSJ sales talk is interesting.

I think that what WSJ wants isn't for Toriko to match current Bleach volume output, they want it to match Bleach when it was in it its glory day, and to be honest Bleach was making bank back when it was developing into "Big 3" status...like 750-800k+ first/second week for quite a few volumes. I'm pretty sure I remember reading that there was one year that Bleach outsold Naruto and One Piece back in the day. Since then, Bleach has fallen in numbers to about 500k first full week, topping out at like 600k is seems. And it still beats Toriko. In that regard, Toriko still has a lot of work to do because it can't even match Bleach when it's not doing as well as it did. I don't think Toriko will be considered a success, relative to WSJ expectations, until it hits those 700k+ numbers first week. Then I think they might be able to rest easy.
WSJ getting greedy. Having two long running really well selling series plus several relatively popular mainstays is a pretty good benchmark.
I agree with this. I just think that because Naruto and Bleach have been going for so long, they've been used to it now. To see those series that have been going for a decade end must have them worried to some extent. They're preparing for it but they can't force it, these kind of things just happen.

Kubo and Kishi's stars aligned for sure, there's no saying that Bleach or Naruto would be half as popular if they released today or 5 years ago. Right place, right time, right exposure. Trying to force that kind of success on a manga (and mangaka) isn't gonna work like a manga just exploding on its own. Toriko has been selling well, but it's nothing that hasn't been seen by the likes of Hitman Reborn & Bakuman when they were running or Gintama, and now Ass Class is selling much better. From what I've read (from you guys) it doesn't seem like Ass Class has the format to be the big 3 archetype that WSJ can depend on to run for 10+ years...whereas Toriko apparently does.

It's sad that Togashi really could change all of this if he cared.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Eden! It's an Endless World! (Until the genre shift anyway)

Saikano.

Mirai Nikki

Pimpwerx

What? I haven't read the beginning of Gantz in years but I am positive they showed Kei and dude were childhood friends tons of times.

It's why he calls him Kei Chan.

?

That was known since the beginning and one of the reasons the tall dude got better as a character.
Damn, guys. I feel stupid now. :lol: I guess you can tell I never went back to reread early chapters, so I completely forgot about that. I know they were friends, but I don't remember seeing any of the flashback stuff. My bad if it was shown. PEACE.

But to be honest, I think that what WSJ wants isn't for Toriko to match current Bleach volume output, they want it to match Bleach when it was in it its glory day, and to be honest Bleach was making bank back when it was developing into "Big 3" status...like 750-800k+ first/second week for quite a few volumes. I'm pretty sure I remember reading that there was one year that Bleach outsold Naruto and One Piece back in the day. Since then, Bleach has fallen in numbers to about 500k first full week, topping out at like 600k is seems. And it still beats Toriko. In that regard, Toriko still has a lot of work to do because it can't even match Bleach when it's not doing as well as it did. I don't think Toriko will be considered a success, relative to WSJ expectations, until it hits those 700k+ numbers first week. Then I think they might be able to rest easy.

I agree with this. I just think that because Naruto and Bleach have been going for so long, they've been used to it now. To see those series that have been going for a decade end must have them worried to some extent. They're preparing for it but they can't force it, these kind of things just happen.

Kubo and Kishi's stars aligned for sure, there's no saying that Bleach or Naruto would be half as popular if they released today or 5 years ago. Right place, right time, right exposure. Trying to force that kind of success on a manga (and mangaka) isn't gonna work like a manga just exploding on its own. Toriko has been selling well, but it's nothing that hasn't been seen by the likes of Hitman Reborn & Bakuman when they were running or Gintama, and now Ass Class is selling much better. From what I've read (from you guys) it doesn't seem like Ass Class has the format to be the big 3 archetype that WSJ can depend on to run for 10+ years...whereas Toriko apparently does.

to be fair I don't think anyone was thinking otherwise and given the push WSJ more likely wants the scenario you are saying.

Bleach as a "stepping point" was more of an example I used since it could be considered the lowest selling manga of the big 3 currently and if Toriko currently can't beat that (with this push) then i could see the disappointment moniker being attached.

I agree with the "not force it" thing though since even OP just exploded after a while (apparently due to stuff leading up to and including marineford plus people buying the previous volumes)

Damn, guys. I feel stupid now. :lol: I guess you can tell I never went back to reread early chapters, so I completely forgot about that. I know they were friends, but I don't remember seeing any of the flashback stuff. My bad if it was shown. PEACE.

IIRC they showed a flashback scene but it was usually the tall guy just harping about it.

Honestly that gave a slight benefit of the doubt for Kurono to me since he was a fucking asshole in the early parts of the manga.

I think that what WSJ wants isn't for Toriko to match current Bleach volume output, they want it to match Bleach when it was in it its glory day, and to be honest Bleach was making bank back when it was developing into "Big 3" status...like 750-800k+ first/second week for quite a few volumes. I'm pretty sure I remember reading that there was one year that Bleach outsold Naruto and One Piece back in the day. Since then, Bleach has fallen in numbers to about 500k first full week, topping out at like 600k is seems. And it still beats Toriko. In that regard, Toriko still has a lot of work to do because it can't even match Bleach when it's not doing as well as it did. I don't think Toriko will be considered a success, relative to WSJ expectations, until it hits those 700k+ numbers first week. Then I think they might be able to rest easy.

I really dont think Toriko would honestly go that long.

Isnt what youre saying there...kind of working for Assassination Classroom, all the heavy publicity and pr, and stuff, and vomic, color pages, and etc, and most likely soon for Shokugeki no Soma (three weeks of color pages in a row), and in their other mag (would BLue Exorcist be another example of where forcing kind of worked to make it explode?) I think a better goal would be to have many 3+ multi million selling series while still searching for those true 6-10+ mln seller manga...

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Eden! It's an Endless World! (Until the genre shift anyway)

Saikano.

Mirai Nikki

I've read Eden, didn't finish it though. Surprised to see the author had the gall to actually brutally kill a young girl character. What do you mean by genre shift? Into what?

I've finished Mirai Nikki. Enjoyable. Gonna check Saikano.

Arms Peddler

Alice in Wonderland

Haven't read those. Checking.

Donyatsu.

...A donut shaped cat? Huh..... o_O

Haly

I've read Eden, didn't finish it though. Surprised to see the author had the gall to actually brutally kill a young girl character. What do you mean by genre shift? Into what?

Well, the first story is basically your average post apocalyptic fare. Orphans from some disaster that ravaged humanity, scientists looking for a cure, social mores breaking down.

Then we find out it only hit 1/3rd of humanity and while that's still quite a bit it's not exactly apocalypse. And there are still lots of fully functioning countries and cities.

I think the new WSJ game clearly shows that push for Toriko. It was pretty shameless that Toriko was featured alongside One Piece, Dragon Ball and Naruto in the first trailer. LOL

Haly

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";54203982]Eden sucks, it completely loses focus like ten chapters in then resolves without knowing what it ever wanted to say.[/QUOTE]

No.

Okay well, yes, it loses focus and forgets where it's going but it's still good despite all that.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I'm sure Togashi got them to agree to let him publish on his own schedule before he agreed to start Hunter X Hunter.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I'm sure Togashi got them to agree to let him publish on his own schedule before he agreed to start Hunter X Hunter.
Probably. That's just crazy awesome (for him) considering how loyal his fans are that they translate into sales that are comparable to Naruto. The momentum is insane.

I wasn't paying attention to this kind of stuff when YYH was coming out, of course, but does anyone know if Togashi did any types of hiatuses when YYH was out?

survivor

Banned
Probably. That's just crazy awesome (for him) considering how loyal his fans are that they translate into sales that are comparable to Naruto. The momentum is insane.

I wasn't paying attention to this kind of stuff when YYH was coming out, of course, but does anyone know if Togashi did any types of hiatuses when YYH was out?

He maintained a 4-5 volumes per year release schedule till the end so I doubt he took that many hiatuses.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";54203982]Eden sucks, it completely loses focus like ten chapters in then resolves without knowing what it ever wanted to say.[/QUOTE]

I still love the cyberpunk concept and the art though.

I've heard that even CD Projekt is using it as an inspiration for the Cyberpunk game. I'm glad.

I thought it shows its the genre replacement for Bleach...

Well it was featured alongside the 3 more recognizable WSJ characters, like ever. Is like if Marvel made a movie with Spiderman, Wolverine, IronMan....and then put a B-List superhero like Hawkeye as the major characters. That would be stupid unless you have big plans for that character....

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
uQyGpJP.png

hhBANq7.jpg

October-December 2012:
Code:
Weekly Shonen Jump (Shueisha)          2,827,693  (-17,307)
Weekly Shonen Magazine (Kodansha)      1,404,834  (-67,250)
Monthly Shonen Magazine (Kodansha)     724,667    (-30,333)
Coro Coro Comic (Shogakukan)           630,000    (-103,334)
Weekly Shonen Sunday (Shogakukan)      520,334    (-45,250)
Jump Square (Shueisha)                 345,000    (-5,000)
Bessatsu Coro Coro Comic (Shogakukan)  145,000    (+-0)
Ultra Jump (Shueisha)                  66,667     (+3,667)
Gessan (Shogakukan)                    65,000     (+21,333)
agazine Special (Kodansha)             60,667     (-3,333)
Shonen Ace (Kadokawa Shoten)           52,667     (-15,000)
Monthly Shonen Rival (Kodansha)        49,125     (-2,875)
Shonen Sunday Super (Shogakukan)       32,334     (+18,667)
Dragon Age (Fujimi Shobo)              23,000     (-6,334)
Sunday GX (Shogakukan)                 19,000     (-1,667)
Monthly Shonen Sirius (Kodansha)       11,167     (-833)

They've been flat lining for over a decade now (after a large, then steady, decline). I imagine they're terrified of what will happen when they lose One Piece and Naruto (or if they start failing to get new young audiences).

Hiroki Endo hates happiness.

I guess so since the
MC didn't get better from it IIRC

uQyGpJP.png

hhBANq7.jpg

They've been flat lining for over a decade now (after a large, then steady, decline). I imagine they're terrified of what will happen when they lose One Piece and Naruto (or if they start failing to get new young audiences).

I assume that large drop from 1995 onwards is partly due to Dragonball finishing.

grandjedi6

I assume that large drop from 1995 onwards is partly due to Dragonball finishing.

Yep. Almost entirely in fact.

Dragonball ended in 95, Slam Dunk ended in 96. They were the two titans of Shonen Jump and without them the magazine tanked. In fact, Shonen Jump went through a 11 year decline until One Piece's Enies Lobby arc helped the magazine have its first circulation increase in years.

Why isnt one pieces success bringing in higher numbers to circulation, or even other series that get popular in a year, kuroko, seems odd to be on decline-flat even as one piece was breaking records these past three years.

Why isnt one pieces success bringing in higher numbers to circulation, or even other series that get popular in a year, kuroko, seems odd to be on decline-flat even as one piece was breaking records these past three years.

I would guess WSJ's decline matches a general decline in magazine circulation. Physical publishing is a shrinking industry.

grandjedi6

Well One Piece is why Shonen Jump is still #1 and why its decline stopped. But as for why One Piece's sales don't line up with circulation numbers, its probably because One Piece is bought by people of all kinds of age groups, while Shonen Jump is primarily bought by little boys.

Also: Piracy and increased competition has hurt the print industry (even in Japan)

And I wouldn't expect a young popular series like Kuroko to be very effective on circulation numbers; its primarily just selling to the audience that already buys the magazine. For example, Fairy Tail is a pretty popular series, yet that hasn't stopped Weekly Shonen Magazine from continuing its never-ending decline of doom.

Well One Piece is why Shonen Jump is still #1 and why its decline stopped. But as for why One Piece's sales don't line up with circulation numbers, its probably because One Piece is bought by people of all kinds of age groups, while Shonen Jump is primarily bought by little boys.

Also: Piracy and increased competition has hurt the print industry (even in Japan)

And I wouldn't expect a young popular series like Kuroko to be very effective on circulation numbers; its primarily just selling to the audience that already buys the magazine. For example, Fairy Tail is a pretty popular series, yet that hasn't stopped Weekly Shonen Magazine from continuing its never-ending decline of doom.

Do any of these magazines distribute digitally in Japan? Seems like that's the inevitable end result, but none of the major players are interested in shaking things up.

Nineteen, Twenty-One ch 1-21 End
izmn42U5Ckbbq.jpg

Nice and heart-warming slice of life story about adults unsure about life and growing up, love, and cats. Lots and lots of cats. I mean I don't even hate cats, but they really gave them a lot of focus. It's understandable since they are the main conflict of the story and the two main characters met through them, but I really wanted more attention to the characters' anxiety about adult life and romance plotline, and less comparing your life to a cat. I just can't see any comparison to a stray cat being relevant or important.

The characters were charming, although the male MC was kinda bland. He just had a gimmick about caring a lot about cats and that's it. He definitely wasn't as interesting or with a good backstory like Nuna. One thing I'm glad about is how the story didn't really paint the lady that cared for the neighbourhood in a bad light. They could have easily showed her as a controlling unsympathetic asshole, but I'm glad the story went with a more realistic portrayal.

Funnily enough, I did like the art even if it has the same problems as all other webtoon art. Some bad panels layout and sometimes the art feel soulless, but I didn't mind the colouring that much, and there was some great background art every once in a while.

Ohhhh i read 6 chapters of this at some point. I gotta catch up.

survivor

Banned
Most of them suck.

Although I got pretty teary and involved in one of those--don't remember the title, about a man who fell in love with a woman he meets in a park who turned out to be... not what she seems to be. Fantastic work that one.

You are thinking of Melo Holic right? It got a nice twisted take on the romance genre.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
You are thinking of Melo Holic right? It got a nice twisted take on the romance genre.

Ahh yes, that's the title I think.

I admit I was rather mind-blowned by how the story developed. Very clever. I can't even think now the last time a manga genuinely surprised me that way.

Maybe I am just not looking at the right places then.

I prefer the manga format a lot more though.

Soma

Nanatsu no Taizai Ch. 23-24

That Ban swag. So good.

Nice to see King get his shit together too. Somewhat.

Domino no Do! Ch. 14

Ahahaha holy shit.

Yeah I'm sold on this manga now.

bigkrev

Domina no Do 33

I feel like the series is running out of steam. It's been too many chapters since we last had a girl coveting the MC urine, The MC using his penis to seal a dark void in a girls vagina, or the underage girl thrusting her vagina in the MCs face. The Hikkomori sister getting a magical butt plug that lets her transform just isn't enough for me anymore. Should I stick out the last 10 chapters or so?

I would guess WSJ's decline matches a general decline in magazine circulation. Physical publishing is a shrinking industry.

I won't say that physical publishing is a shrinking it's down but that is not really the problem .
What is happening is compare to 10 to 15 years ago is no cares about magazine anymore .
People are not buying a magazine to read 1 series when they can just buy the Vols , so even if a series catch on it don't mean anything for the magazine .
Physical publishing magazine is what is coming to a end which is causing them problems .

remz

the little author's note at the start of HxH kind of implies he had some sort of trouble with hiatus during his previous work, but I haven't been reading manga long enough to really know !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom