• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was always really curious about Fourteen, but it seemed a bit too freaky for me, when some people here read it. I'd probably put it on my list, if it was some horror manga.

I was always really curious about Fourteen, but it seemed a bit too freaky for me, when some people here read it. I'd probably put it on my list, if it was some horror manga.

It's really poorly written and drawn with a story that goes all over the place, feels like your on drugs the whole time you're reading it. It's not really scary just weird, there isn't anything else like it.

ShinNL

Must-read manga that every fan has the RESPONSABILITY to read:

Manga that's good but you can easily ignore if it doesn't interest you:

Learn the difference, it could save your life.
Thank goodness for Google Image Search, because I sure don't know what you were thinking recommending manga to people who haven't read it by posting random pictures with no context at all.

Takemitsu Zamurai.

And that's why it's a must read.

But I can't recommend it for that, the story never really comes together in any reasonable way, the story feels like the author just woke up one day and said "fuck it lets have the sky fall" or "hey what if everyone was velociraptors" and the ending leaves too much to be desired.

7Th

But I can't recommend it for that, the story never really comes together in any reasonable way, the story feels like the author just woke up one day and said "fuck it lets have the sky fall" or "hey what if everyone was velociraptors" and the ending leaves too much to be desired.

It's an EXPERIENCE manga, something the civilized world knows as art. Literature stopped being about "story" a few decades ago; maybe it's already time for manga to also evolve into something BETTER.

From Shinji no Kyojin thread
tumblr_mmb4idD68O1r37arko1_400.gif
Hahahaha.

The ending of episode 5 was damn. He does not die, there´s no way.

survivor

Banned
Phoenix vol 1-2
phoenix-vol1fmzz4.jpg
phoenix-vol2wmykt.jpg

Good Tezuka. Very creative and meaningful stories about life, immortality, survival, and reincarnation. The volumes are self-contained, but they are loosely interlinked through their themes and the mythical Phoenix bird. This honestly suits Tezuka's writing much better. He is full of creativity and writes good page turners, but generally the longer his stories go on, the worse they get. With Phoenix, however, for each volume he has a fresh start and is able to write abut anything in any time period so his creativity is really shining in this series.

I don't really have any complaints so far. The art is the usual Tezuka quality and whenever he wants to draw some powerful imagery he does it really well. The characters never really acted stupid like in almost all of his other manga. And my mind is still blown by how the story in the second volume got linked to the first volume. I should have seen it coming, but it was still a nice touch.

Phoenix vol 1-2
phoenix-vol1fmzz4.jpg
phoenix-vol2wmykt.jpg

Good Tezuka. Very creative and meaningful stories about life, immortality, survival, and reincarnation. The volumes are self-contained, but they are loosely interlinked through their themes and the mythical Phoenix bird. This honestly suits Tezuka's writing much better. He is full of creativity and writes good page turners, but generally the longer his stories go on, the worse they get. With Phoenix, however, for each volume he has a fresh start and is able to write abut anything in any time period so his creativity is really shining in this series.

I don't really have any complaints so far. The art is the usual Tezuka quality and whenever he wants to draw some powerful imagery he does it really well. The characters never really acted stupid like in almost all of his other manga. And my mind is still blown by how the story in the second volume got linked to the first volume. I should have seen it coming, but it was still a nice touch.

Looks like a Pokemon.

It's really poorly written and drawn with a story that goes all over the place, feels like your on drugs the whole time you're reading it. It's not really scary just weird, there isn't anything else like it.

Which is why everyone should read it. It's just insane.

I've been trying to find a copy of this for years now :(

Stinky

I gave up trying to find actual copies at a reasonable price. I'm just getting them from the library.

I've given up on finding volume 1.. I have 2 sitting on my shelf right now that I've been meaning to get to.

The only manga my library has is Black Jack volume 1.

Stinky

If you just want to read it and not own it, there are raws available.

from there you just need to learn how to read japanese!.. or convince a translator to do you a solid.

Kurita

I wonder what are the most expensive mangas...
I know that Utopia: Saigo no Sekai Taisen is quite rare (thanks Biblia Koshodou no Jiken Techou!) but that's about it.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";56897932]Fourteen isn't poorly written. It's very deliberately satirical absurdism.[/QUOTE]

I doubt that. Most of what's written is like it comes from a man who is just barely holding on to his sanity.

PK Gaming

Mario

This one shot was convoluted and the pacing was awful. It shouldn't have been a one shot. He should have worked on this after finishing Naruto. I thought you guys were just being cynical when you said it was bad, sigh.

Mario

This one shot was convoluted and the pacing was awful. It shouldn't have been a one shot. He should have worked on this after finishing Naruto. I thought you guys were just being cynical, sigh.

Probably would have been better if he had originally planned for it to be 40 or so pages instead of trimming it down from >100? A few more panels/scenes would have really made it a bit better.

survivor

Banned
I wonder what are the most expensive mangas...
I know that Utopia: Saigo no Sekai Taisen is quite rare (thanks Biblia Koshodou no Jiken Techou!) but that's about it.
One cool thing about Bibilia is that it gave me a list of Japanese books to go through. Not all of the titles mentioned have any translations, but at least it's a good starting list.

New Big One?
7th was here long before Big One.
And he reads more than the big 3 so the comparison doesn't work

Mario

This one shot was convoluted and the pacing was awful. It shouldn't have been a one shot. He should have worked on this after finishing Naruto. I thought you guys were just being cynical when you said it was bad, sigh.
I told you it was bad man, should have listened and not endured this suffering.

Lirlond

The parallels between the new fighter raising and the zero were pretty cool. The whole arc was full of intense feels. Why isn't this more well known.

Kurita

One cool thing about Bibilia is that it gave me a list of Japanese books to go through. Not all of the titles mentioned have any translations, but at least it's a good starting list.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I'm interested in Edogawa Rampo's works now.
I'm not really into books but I have to say that this drama managed to spark my interest.

survivor

Banned
He listed three images that I don't have any interest in so his taste must be bad. Dunno how he flew under the radar so long.
Ok? I still don't see how the comparison makes sense.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I'm interested in Edogawa Rampo's works now.
I'm not really into books but I have to say that this drama managed to spark my interest.

Huh, so what's where Conan Edogawa and Kogoro Mouri names come from. Seems like Detective Conan references this guy's work a lot.

Kurita

I need to check Osamu Dazai's books, too...

Stardust Crusaders vol.4

Huh, ok so Abdul is really dead. RIP in peace, you were a cool guy.
The fight against the mirror stand was cool, Kakyoin had a pretty smart idea with the coin...
Jotaro not giving a shit about anything is still pretty funny... And now they're fighting a car?
What?

It is which is really disappointing. It's just a stream of endless pages with unfunny punchlines.

I thought it was pretty funny and I can see some OPM humor here and there, which is not surprising, of course. Sometimes I just want some really light stuff to read, without some big plot or anything like that. I'm glad Wonzo and Kurita praised it like that, but it doesn't seem to be for you.

Bakuman v18 (152 - 160)
tumblr_mmcewy4c3v1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Whenever Heishi puts his coat on, Im always amazed, its just so cool how they draw it. After having seen the series to its conclusion in the anime, finally coming back and seeing little moments left out or changed, really helped to round out the experience. Their PCP shirts were the best inclusion for the art aspect constantly wearing them, while my favorite of the plot was the lead up to and first few moments of when the new manga started. Personally prefer Crow and PCP over the new ones though.

For the popularity poll, I guess once again I follow the trends of the majority, Id switch Classroom of Truth over Detective Trap but otherwise, they are my top 4 (PCP, Crow, Classroom of Truth, Detective Trap). Id want to read +Natural too, and people remembered Future Watch, nice.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Master of the Sea 40

Holy shit Hiro.

Holy shit.

Yes, who knew the world of salvaging would be full of evil, abusive magnates. :p

BTW, next arc is probably the best arc in the entire damn manga. Even if it had nothing else at least the manga really knows how to raise the stakes to an insane degree.

Slam Dunk 133 - 147
tumblr_mmcb8gv77E1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Why is Sendoh so cool and amazing. He must play on the court more as he truly is one of the best players in the whole manga. I would have preferred a different outcome as Kainan and Shohoku (specifically Kiyota Nobunaga and Sakaragi) on court are entertaining and enjoyable. Still this whole non Shohoku match was fast paced, intense, well done, and just enjoyable. If the rest are like this then this will definitely be a leading mange in the genre.

survivor

Banned
I forgot to read the bonus chapter at the end of the last volume for Tenshi Nanka Ja Nai. Basically it was just a chapter about Yazawa talking about how she came up with the idea of the manga. Yazawa, like many shoujo artists I suspect, are very :DTL in nature. I'm surprised she hasn't done bunch of BL manga already, but I guess that doesn't really pay the bills.
199f4u.jpg

There was also this thing about the story for Tenshi
2p6iqi.jpg

Sadly, she didn't really deliver on that promise very well. I mean the manga did have some despair, but it was very weak compared to other truly depressing manga that knows how to plunges you into a sea of sorrow.

Kambing

Can someone who has both read and watched Hajime no Ippo answer a question for me?

1. How close is the manga to being finished?
2. How far along does the two anime go in relation to the anime?

Kind of debating whether or not to start the series...

EDIT: Forgot to add i would be very appreciative of answers

Kurita

Seems like the two seasons of anime = chapter 1 through chapter 420.
There are more than 1000 chapters and it is still going strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom