• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qvoth

one punch man 90
god can't imagine what'll happen when saitama finally gets 100% serious
wonder when that'll happen ; ;
nanatsu no taizai 28
shyamalantwist.jpg?
might go an interesting route now

Blade of the Immortal

I'm guessing Rin died and Manji has to take care of her grandchild. OH DERP. I skimmed through the 90 years later. Thought it was 10.

Current Guts is the best Guts (both looks wise and personality wise). And Berserk is just fine post iDOLM@STER, it's different but still perfectly readable.
Loli RPG Guts is the worst. That doesn't mean the manga is bad, but it definitely got worse compared to the earlier volumes.

Berserk

I guess Miura wants to keep with that "struggler/little fish against the current" motif even if he now has a slight chance against Apostles.

Also its not just Apostles who were pissing in the wind doing their own shit in the early days, they are now fucking organized under the Anti Christ.

It's just annoying that he has to rely on friendship and loli power for every fight. And Grifith is pretty cool.

Berserk

I guess Miura wants to keep with that "struggler/little fish against the current" motif even if he now has a slight chance against Apostles.

Also its not just Apostles who were pissing in the wind doing their own shit in the early days, they are now fucking organized under the Anti Christ.

I know why he's doing it but I think there are better ways. We know that Guts has Plot Armor until he faces off against Griffith so bringing in companions to raise the stakes against him (and it acts as a nice throwback to the Band of Hawk times, theoretically) but his battles have become extremely formulaic because he's so dependent on Shierke.

In terms of character I'd say post-eclipse Guts > Golden Age Guts >>> Friendship is Magic Guts. Griffith pretty much replaced him as the best protagonist.

iDOLM@STER Griffith is barely a character.

I agree with the rest though.

Kurita

Nobunaga No Chef 23

The ninja girl finally appeared! Less sexy than her live action counterpart though haha
ibq8frZVWvmV8h.png

Berserk

I wouldn't call it world peace.

It kinda got worse.

Griffith got humans and apostles to fight together. He united them and they finally accept and protect each other. That's a huge deal, IMO. The new threat is unfortunate, but with Falconia, Griffith is giving humans a safe place and shelter. It also looks beautiful.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Can I remind you that apostles eat people?

I doubt that they'll stop doing that for the rest of their (incredibly long) lifetimes.

Also a lot of rape.

Nobunaga No Chef 23

The ninja girl finally appeared! Less sexy than her live action counterpart though haha

How's the drama so far?

You guys are talking like Gutts and Griffith will ever meet again in your lifetime lol.

We know. :(

Can I remind you that apostles eat people?

I doubt that they'll stop doing that for the rest of their (incredibly long) lifetimes.

Also a lot of rape.

No need for a prison in Falconia! And I'm confident that Lord Griffith will find a proper solution. I mean, they don't have to eat people. They can eat just any other meat they want.

Antiwhippy

No need for a prison in Falconia! And I'm confident that Lord Griffith will find a proper solution. I mean, they don't have to eat people. They can eat just any other meat they want.

I'm going to bet there's going to be something really gnarly happening in flaconia. Which I'm sure we'll get to see after they reach Elf island.

Haha. Hah...

I'm going to bet there's going to be something really gnarly happening in flaconia. Which I'm sure we'll get to see after they reach Elf island.

Haha. Hah...

How many years ago did they say they need to visit the Elf King? I don't think I realize the huge time span, because I read it in one batch.

Antiwhippy

It's not amazing, but it's a fun series.

There are so many references too.

Nobunaga no Chef 24

Oh wow.

Stuff is getting real here too. Wonder how ken will get out of this.

Kurita

Nobunaga no Chef 24

Oh man oh man, I haven't seen this in the drama yet so I'm genuinely clueless about the next events :lol

brokasten is really trying hard to spin Griffith not being an asshole
I never said he wasn't an asshole, I just think that calling him the anti-christ is a bit exaggerated. We haven't seen him doing anything that would justify it. At least not since he's back in his human form.

Current "can barely do shit without Shierke"-Guts automatically makes him worse than Black Swordsman Guts. It's cool that Miura hasn't given him a free powerup he can freely use but this is going a tad bit too far. It's still good but to me there was a very noticeable drop in quality around the time he got the Berserker Armor.

You're looking at it all wrong.

Guts is just as strong as he was, probably better. The stuff they threw at him ramped up. If he had fought some of those guys in Black Swordman era, he'd be dead. Besides, he "technically" could use the armor if he wanted, he just willingly doesn't since he doesn't want to be a raving psycho. XD

But the biggest reason current Guts is better is because he actually had growth as a character. Starting to grow to trust others again after the Band of the Hawk incident, realizing that he doesn't have be the borderline crazy cut and paste seinen "dark hero" he was at the beginning of the Black Swordsman arc. Miura's always done a good job with the change of the character, feels natural to me which isn't that common in a manga. One of the reasons I like Guts (besides that he's basically SF3 Ryu with a big-ass sword and a cannon).

Is Mogamett all over again.

Oh, and fuck Griffith (any version) and Mogamett. Maybe since Miura's throwing kids in Berserk he can have Aladdin fly over and nuke Griffith's ass after he's done with racist Dumbledore.

I never said he wasn't an asshole, I just think that calling him the anti-christ is a bit exaggerated. We haven't seen him doing anything that would justify it. At least not since he's back in his human form.

Obviously, he's returned to his human form so he could act as a false prophet.

Guts is just as strong as he was, probably better. The stuff they threw at him ramped up. If he had fought some of those guys in Black Swordman era, he'd be dead. Besides, he "technically" could use the armor if he wanted, he just willingly doesn't since he doesn't want to be a raving psycho. XD

But the biggest reason current Guts is better is because he actually had growth as a character. Starting to grow to trust others again after the Band of the Hawk incident, realizing that he doesn't have be the borderline crazy cut and paste seinen "dark hero" he was at the beginning of the Black Swordsman arc. Miura's always done a good job with the change of the character, feels natural to me which isn't that common in a manga. One of the reasons I like Guts (besides that he's basically SF3 Ryu with a big-ass sword and a cannon).

But Guts always had growth as a character. Black Swordsman is basically the result of his time with the Band of the Hawk. This is just a retread of learning to trust people after a traumatic event.

Is Mogamett all over again.

It's even worse!

But Guts always had growth as a character. Black Swordsman is basically the result of his time with the Band of the Hawk. This is just a retread of learning to trust people after a traumatic event.

Agreed, he was growing as a character. I think I could have worded what I meant a bit better; I mean because he's actually growing as a character I don't much care about who he was, I'm more interested in who he is currently.

And I don't really blame Miura for the "retread" because it was pretty apparent the whole "it takes a village" concept was going to be a key thing. Not only was there the learning to trust people thing, Guts very quickly realized that he was in bad shape trying to care for Casca on his own, and after having people he could depend on again to provide the stuff he couldn't, he could do the part he does best...the killing stuff.

Thinking about the whole Casca thing again, Guts was kind of like a first time parent in that scenario, not counting the crazy bits (you all know the parts).

Oh, and fuck Griffith (any version) and Mogamett. Maybe since Miura's throwing kids in Berserk he can have Aladdin fly over and nuke Griffith's ass after he's done with racist Dumbledore.

I think there's the problem for me. I haven't read many manga and only the big three for years, so Guts character at the beginning was really refreshing for me. Seeing him turning into this boring cut and paste RPG party member that has to rely on his little helper is really a shame, imo.

I think there's the problem for me. I haven't read many manga and only the big three for years, so Guts character at the beginning was really refreshing for me. Seeing him turning into this boring cut and paste RPG party member that has to rely on his little helper is really a shame, imo.

Yeah, I agree. Right now Berserk seems less about Guts and more about loli witch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom