• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.
7Th
Banned

PIbUwzp.jpg

And he won.

7Th 0:1 DTL

The main story is by far the worst part of Monster; the small, slice-of-life bits reminiscent of Black Jack are the best. Johan isn't a very interesting or compelling character overall.

Monster (and Urasawa in general) works best if you forget about the overall plot and think of it as just a vehicle to create a bunch of scenarios that constantly escalate the sense of horror and suspense. That's Urasawa's greatest strength, crafting very effective and engaging small scale stories. Pluto's the only one of his series that I've read that has a strong overarching structure.

Monster ~68

The end of this chapter (or I guess technically the start of the next volume) teases that the series is rushing towards a climax which would be awesome... if I didn't know there was over 100 chapters left :X

survivor

Banned
Monster (and Urasawa in general) works best if you forget about the overall plot and think of it as just a vehicle to create a bunch of scenarios that constantly escalate the sense of horror and suspense. That's Urasawa's greatest strength, crafting very effective and engaging small scale stories. Pluto's the only one of his series that I've read that has a strong overarching structure.

Yeah, I agree with that pretty much. If only there is a way to experience Urasawa's works completely without seeing the conclusions to the mysteries which are always underwhelming.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Looks a lot better than Tekkonkinkreet honestly.

If I saw that walking down the aisle in B&N I'd give it a go.

Oh god 7th banned. I'm laughing over here.

Seriously man, why attack DTL in the first place. Even if he IS trolling, he's harmless, and we here like him for it.

I would be disappointed if Eyeshield 21 doesn't end up in his top 5 mangas though. Lots of potential there.

Monster ~78

Off to Prague to find out the truth behind Johan's birth, guess this means we won't be seeing much more of Karl which is too bad because I felt he was a really well written character.

Fairy Tail v 24

Just going through my stack of unread manga, guess Im two months late on this one. Anyway, glad Mashima didnt go with what I guess was the original plan for Sirius Island arc as presented in the concept portion of the bonus material in the volume. Cant imagine how Fairy Tail would be without Makarov as the other choices for leaders arent really ideal.

Fairy Tail v 24

Just going through my stack of unread manga, guess Im two months late on this one. Anyway, glad Mashima didnt go with what I guess was the original plan for Sirius Island arc as presented in the concept portion of the bonus material in the volume. Cant imagine how Fairy Tail would be without Makarov as the other choices for leaders arent really ideal.

Did a secret the guild couldn't reveal still happen? Can't recall if that was a thing or not, I don't think it was. I'm not opposed to them killing off Makarov but I'm glad he wasn't offed because he has great chemistry with the 1st

survivor

Banned
Phoenix vol 3
i6uaLXO4n6i8Z.jpg

That was some good Tezuka storytelling. The volume had two stories instead of one. The first one, Yamato, featured the same problematic romance development that Tezuka sucks at, but fuck that ending was so strong and bittersweet that I'm willing to forgive the main character for being a hypocritical asshole. The other story, Space, started with a great murder mystery set in space and had some really interesting panelling while all the main 4 characters were drifting off in space. It's cool seeing the different ways someone is approaching immorality. In this volume alone, characters attempted to be immortalized through history (Kumaso leader), achievements (Yamato leader), and through living on a Groundhog Day planet for your loved one (Nana).

Mousou Elektel v3 ch 2
tumblr_mmpx76XLSW1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Surprised that it turned out different than many other stories, dragging out the drama to bring out their true feelings and rekindling their relationship with confessions and what not. As usual I was unable to predict what would happen but it was quite good especially the park scene simply for Shunpei taking initiative. If only he can do it in other scenes later on as the series goes. Maybe someday he can not be a bottom (well I think there was a dream/vision) but still.

Didnt realize a v4 was out either.

Lain

Ruri Ruri

Leave it to Yui Toshiki to make a sex addicted family split a foursome sex romp between a mother and her three husbands into 3 loving couples with her two daughters.

Kurita

Mamori and Suzuna are not that important anyway, and there's no real romance, he'll be happy! (well, you can guess that Suzuna likes Sena but...)

Mael

Toriko ~200
4 beast resolution really.

Ok I take back what I said about Toriko, it's actually better than most of Bleach/Naruto.
Food honor really doesn't make any sense like much of Toriko but I'll be damned if it isn't well made.

Mamori and Suzuna are not that important anyway, and there's no real romance, he'll be happy! (well, you can guess that Suzuna likes Sena but...)

Didn't a scene teased that Sena reproaches Suzuna's feelings?

It's how he was only shocked when Raimon wanted to peek at Mamori, but actually stopped him when he realised Suzuna could be there too.

It's true but ES21 spans ~2 years. I thought she'd have at least some... "character development".

<--- big fan of girls with small assets.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Suzuna doesn't really need to develop. It's not like she has some personal issues or demons to tackle. She's an upbeat skater girl who just keeps on trucking along.

Mamori had only one issue and that was treating Sena like a kid and that got resolved in a single page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom