• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

survivor

Banned
Hey, I thought Beelzebub was legitimately funny at the beginning. At least in the first 20 or so chapters.

That's how I feel about most of the stuff in the top 10. They were entertaining till a certain volume/arc and now they have no point in existing.

Realistically, the only thing I would actually suggest is Silver Spoon and Attack on Titan.

Jintor

Two arcs in Beezlebub stand out to me:

1) The class trip to... I don't know, Okinawa or whatever
2) The ridiculous sideshow at the amusement park

That's about it really

That's how I feel about most of the stuff in the top 10. They were entertaining till a certain volume/arc and now they have no point in existing.

Realistically, the only thing I would actually suggest is Silver Spoon and Attack on Titan.

OPM has any reason to be in there, but I suppose it's still too early to compare it to the older series.

Your comment about Attack on Titan make me curious, though. I saw some people already shitting on it, iirc.

Yep but it seem other don't agree with me when i say Naruto worst than Natsu .

If it makes you feel better, Naruto is not that much better, I'd say.

survivor

Banned
Yep but it seem the others don't agree with me when i say Naruto worst than Natsu .
Still i will go down fighting if i have to .
Honestly, Naruto is a bad character, but at least he is a character. I can't even say that about Natsu who is just there to get kids excited about the power of friendship with zero charisma or development.

OPM has any reason to be in there, but I suppose it's still too early to compare it to the older series.

Your comment about Attack on Titan make me curious, though. I saw some people already shitting on it, iirc.
Hey, I'm one of the people that shit on Titan, but I can't deny the fact that the first few volumes are some of the best battle shounen moments of the past few years. It's definitely worth checking out even if someone isn't interested in the genre. But you can drop it as it gets stupider later on. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything now that it ran its course.

Cross Manage 33

I always feel bad in reading sports series and skipping the text for rule explanations :/ I guess I just dont care enough for lacrosse to know how it works. Thought the best part of the scene was the near fight in the stands with the Saiga brothers and random crown.

I think at least the matches ending is quite clear.
She'll score against Namine, but then theyll lose over all, could it also be where the manga ends as well

Attack on Titan started off really good hell i was telling people to read it for years but the last few chapters people not happy with it .

Am I crazy or did you edit and remove something from that post? I swear I wanted to comment on something else.

Hey, I'm one of the people that shit on Titan, but I can't deny the fact that the first few volumes are some of the best battle shounen moments of the past few years. It's definitely worth checking out even if someone isn't interested in the genre. But you can drop it as it gets stupider later on. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything now that it ran its course.

It's pretty funny, because I only started to pay attention to it, after people complained about it. While I do read battle shonen, I'm not really excited about putting another one on my list. It is hard to pass on it after your recommendation, though. Maybe I should work on my reading habits and allow myself to read more series at the same time.

Dresden

kuuki no soko -

aVWJaEF.png

A collection of short stories drawn by the master himself, Osamu Tezuka. Going through them slowly, good shit.

Am I crazy or did you edit and remove something from that post? I swear I wanted to comment on something else.

I edit the post
The line i remove was saying FT also out sells 5 of the other manga on the list .
So it doing some thing right or at least have a fair size fan base .
Change my mind since talking about sales made no sense so i remove it .

It's pretty funny, because I only started to pay attention to it, after people complained about it. While I do read battle shonen, I'm not really excited about putting another one on my list. It is hard to pass on it after your recommendation, though. Maybe I should work on my reading habits and allow myself to read more series at the same time.

Maybe you should check out the anime , i like the art better in the anime compare to the manga .

I edit the post
The line i remove was saying FT also out sells 5 of the other manga on the list .
So it doing some thing right or at least have a fair size fan base .
Change my mind since talking about sales made no sense so i remove it .

Maybe you should check out the anime , i like the art better in the anime compare to the manga .
Thanks for making me not feel insane. :lol

And I usually don't watch anime, as I find it too time consuming. Initial D is the only exception (right now). e: And even that one is a waste of time, because I thought the current season is really disappointing.

Village

Hey, I had some free time and read through some romance and/or comedy and/or drama mangas, with a bunch of female protagonists. Then I read the best one, and... now I am dissapoint because it will never be finished.

So I ask, have any suggestions romance and/or comedy and/or drama manga where the protagonist is a dude.

Thanks for making me not feel insane. :lol

And I usually don't watch anime, as I find it too time consuming. Initial D is the only exception (right now). e: And even that one is a waste of time, because I thought the current season is really disappointing.

Man the current season of Initial D cut out parts of the manga and i dislike the art \cars animation compare to fourth stage .
Still enjoying the music but yeah it's a disappointment to tell the truth .
I just hope they do a final OVD\Movie when the manga ends since it would suck not to see the ending in anime format .

survivor

Banned
Hey, I had some free time and read through some romance and/or comedy and/or drama mangas, with a bunch of female protagonists. Then I read the best one, and... now I am dissapoint because it will never be finished.

So I ask, have any suggestions romance and/or comedy and/or drama manga where the protagonist is a dude.

5 Centimetres per Second
Sakamichi no Apollon
Living Game
Apollo's Song
Honeymoon Salad
Goodnight Punpun
Baka and Gogh
Harukana Machi-E
Ressentiment

Man the current season of Initial D cut out parts of the manga and i dislike the art \cars animation compare to fourth stage .
Still enjoying the music but yeah it's a disappointment to tell the truth .
I just hope the do a final OVD\Movie when the manga ends since it would suck not to see the ending in anime format .

Huh, now that sucks, because I didn't know there were changes compared to the manga. I never read the manga, despite trying several times and I hoped the anime would be a good adaptation. I was really happy with the previous stages. The story was mostly okay (when it wasn't about Takumi's friends) and the battles were most of the time pretty good. But the fifth stage didn't really have anything interesting going on, imo. Ryosuke's battle against the shinigami was okay, I suppose, but Takumi's and Keisuke's battles were kinda dull. While I appreciated Ryosuke's voice over and explanation during the battles, it was really boring to see Takumi just pull off all the time.

While I agree with you on the worse character art, I'm generally happy with the cars and their animation.

wonzo

Banned
Spider-Man 5-7

The pacing might still be a mess and the writing still has its fairly cringeworthy moments but it's actually starting to get surprisingly decent now that it isn't really as focused on the bad Superhero stuff as the first volume was. Plus it has some really nice art which definitely keeps things interesting.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

I get to bring this out again.
iycCY79AFr00I.png

A Girl by the Sea

Saki 111

The semifinal match continues! Yes, it's another 16-pages-is-all-you-get-for-the-month month. Ah well, at least the chapter was good. Yuki's opponents are quite tough, as you'd expect from the national semifinals. There's still quite a ways to go in this match, too... it's not even halfway. Some of the girls' powers are interesting, so it's great as usual. Several of these girls have special powers, and some are yet to be fully revealed... for instance, what power does that sword hold...

In other Saki news, Ritz said that "The men's inter-high champion is about as strong as Izumi Nijou." Izumi is a girl who finished last in her round in the side-A semifinal. So yeah, the best male player isn't as good as the top couple of dozen girls, and they may not have special powers either (Izumi didn't). Not too surprising, is it... though that even with the weaker male competition poor Kiyosumi guy still can't win anything is kind of sad. :)

Fairy Tail 331

In this chapter, lots of naked Lucy, Wendy takes on a dragon and is doing well (but also has yet another panel that suggests that she might be nopan), Gerard shows up and saves Erza, Natsu comes up with a strategy to fight dragons with (based on something Lucy said)... yeah, it's Fairy Tail, alright, with even more fanservice than usual.

Shokugeki no Soma 6-7

The sixth chapter was pretty average, so I won't really get into that. I guess him being in a whacky dorm can make for some funny scenes later on and moe girl being there helps with the potential romance, but other than that, meh. Seeing Souma overcoming all the cooking challenges that easily is getting boring.

8Jp04HV.png

The party had some good moments and more build up to introduce some other characters, but the little reveal at the end really made it. I really want Souma to struggle at least a little bit or maybe even failing. Right now he just seems to be this super popular unbeatable master chef, which is kinda great and somehow boring at the same time.

Shokugeki no Soma 6-7

I really want Souma to struggle at least a little bit or maybe even failing. Right now he just seems to be this super popular unbeatable master chef, which is kinda great and somehow boring at the same time.

Why would anyone want that, that ruins the very foundation of what makes this manga really interesting (well outside of Isshiki, and Aldini).

Why would anyone want that, that ruins the very foundation of what makes this manga really interesting (well outside of Isshiki, and Aldini).

Because if I want the main character to win all the time without getting really in danger, I'd go back to read Fairy Tail.

I already said why, didn't I? There's never really any suspense during the challenges. He always won with his amazing cooking skills so far and never did I think "oh boy, I wonder if he's going to make it". Him failing the entrance exam was just some sort of trope and he didn't fail, because his cooking wasn't good enough, so it doesn't even count.

Sket Dance 240

Lol, the kusoge club.

Sket Dance 241

Oh my god, oh my god, a flashback arc!!!!!!!!!!

Also, so that's how she got her nickname, Captain.

Sket Dance 242

Oh man, I'm so excited about this arc. Looks like it's basically a continuation of the first Switch arc. All my hype!

No volume 2 yet ;_;

Only Memento_Mori15 knows how the story ended and he gets to laugh at us while we wait miserably for the translations.

I have yet to read the first volume, but why wouldn't any group pick the second volume up? I thought it was some really popular work by Asano?

survivor

Banned
I have yet to read the first volume, but why wouldn't any group pick the second volume up? I thought it was some really popular work by Asano?

The group been dead for like 8 months now and I guess other groups don't want to "steal" the series from them.

edit: the second volume has only been out for 2 months, so maybe other groups are waiting or something. I'm personally hoping Punpun's translator would pick it up. The guy does amazing job.

But what's Ass Class' excuse for the good sales? :p

I really have to read a few chapters of AssClass to see the reason why it selling so much .

Actually I haven't read Ass Class yet so I wouldn't now lol.

Because if I want the main character to win all the time without getting really in danger, I'd go back to read Fairy Tail.

I already said why, didn't I? There's never really any suspense during the challenges. He always won with his amazing cooking skills so far and never did I think "oh boy, I wonder if he's going to make it". Him failing the entrance exam was just some sort of trope and he didn't fail, because his cooking wasn't good enough, so it doesn't even count.

You'll see him struggle a bit but its more of him being slowly humbled by other people and actually worrying that he will have to bring his A game if he's to survive.
There is a reason why his dad left, although even then that still seems methodical and in danger of wearing out really soon.

Also I say the stakes needs to be shuffled a bit to keep it exciting.

Minamoto 79

What the Fuck Minamoto, son I'm disappointed.

I'm shocked, shocked I say :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom