• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zweizer

Banned
Will I be a poser if I didn't?

I did. Started with Blue.

I think those who read the manga first would probably be a bit disappointed by the games.

I'd say a lot of people picked up manga after playing Pokemon as it was probably their introduction to Japanese media.

I really don't remember my first manga
I use to go to the Library and a used book store a lot when I was a kid.... I was all over the place in Action Shonen books

Read some Clamp, Kenshin, Yu Gi Oh, Dragonball, etc... before I read the first volume of Naruto

I never considered them as Manga per say since I read a ton of other comic related literature
Bone, Smurfs, TinTin, Astrex and Oblex you name it... I read anything I could get my hands on

First manga I read ever was a random volume of YuGiOh (pretty sure I mentioned this before) and how jarred I was that it was different from the show. However, first manga I ever seriously read all the way through though was Death Note.

Still, back then, didn't read nearly as much as I do now.

there where old Shonen Jump and Shojo Beat issues at my local Library too so when I read something that interested me I checked if other libraries would have volumes of that said series

bigkrev

So what does it say about me if my first manga was Pokemon? ~_~

I guess technically Pokémon was my first Manga as well- I was reading the Squareboard releases of Pokémon Adventures as well as the comic book releases of Electric Tale of Pikachu while they were being published- I was a gigantic Pokémon nerd until Gold/Silver came out and I just stopped caring. Granted, I had no idea they were called Manga, and i'm pretty sure they were all published Flipped.

Yu-Gi-Oh was the first volume release I started reading, and then I started reading Shonen Jump (around issue...7? in it's first year) and all those releases.

Getting another manga in our english jump.
tumblr_neu5pmJotQ1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Wiseblade

Jump International Impressions

So Food Smut can get into Jump International, but Haikyu can't? I'm calling shenanigans on that one.

Zweizer

Banned
boobs and food smut is ok, but playing with balls? that's a no.

Balls are too lewd for International Jump chldren.

something needs to stick
JUMP's got a long history of popular Sport manga. Captain Tsubasa, Slam Dunk, ES21, Prince of Tennis, Haikyu and others... Also having one popular sport manga tends to draw people into reading the rest.

More than half of the new series are about sports though. This feels rather excessive, especially considering most of them seem to follow the same formula, just with a different skin.

More than half of the new series are about sports though. This feels rather excessive, espevially considering most of them seem to follow the same formula, just with a different skin.

Something's going to need to fill the fujioish/money void now that's Kuroko's Basketball is over.

bigkrev

Balls are too lewd for International Jump chldren.

More than half of the new series are about sports though. This feels rather excessive, especially considering most of them seem to follow the same formula, just with a different skin.

Think about the last couple of series to become successful- Nisekoi (Shounen romance), Haikyuu (sports), Assassination Classroom (weird humor thing) and Soma (cooking)

Haikyuu seems like the easiest of them to ape and get a popular series

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Soma 94

Apparently every battle arc in Soma is going to be "Soma thinks he knows what he's doing ----> someone tells him he's a dumbass ----> Soma improves (mostly off screen)"

Also, Kurokiba is getting Flanderized super fast from being a mostly mild-mannered guy who switches on his hot bloodedness during battles to just being a foul-mouthed asshole all of the time.

Kieli

Soma 94

"His pike stood straight up! But Kurokiba's ... has a firmer texture with more spring!"

Lmfao, this chapter was so lewd.

Zweizer

Banned
Thats not running Weekly Shonen Jump.

Oh, that explains it then.

Think about the last couple of series to become successful- Nisekoi (Shounen romance), Haikyuu (sports), Assassination Classroom (weird humor thing) and Soma (cooking)

Haikyuu seems like the easiest of them to ape and get a popular series

Well, I can see the reasoning, but I have to wonder if trying to follow another genre's success is going to work. Better this than hoping for a hit to fall into their lap I guess.

Food Wars! 94
tumblr_neuabx4exj1qbxqfpo1_1280.png

Favorite panel, such intense gazing.

One of the more technical chapters that I read word for word. I didnt know all of those details go into picking out of fish. Why cant the fishing marketing do all that for buyers. It makes it seem as if they will put any fish up there good or not that good. Will the contest even have them have to pick fish anyway?

Food Wars! 94
tumblr_neuabx4exj1qbxqfpo1_1280.png

One of the more technical chapters that I read word for word. I didnt know all of those details go into picking out of fish. Why cant the fishing marketing do all that for buyers. It makes it seem as if they will put any fish up there good or not that good. Will the contest even have them have to pick fish anyway?

Because a sale is a sale and most people won't be able to tell the difference in the cases shown

Kyuur

Toyko Ghoul: Re 3-5

Loving the dynamic of the team so far. Action is just as good as usual too! In the back of my mind I'm still desperately waiting for ties into the first series, but I'm enjoying it still.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Er... so who married Hinata and who married Sakura?

Kishimoto, you troll.

Hinata and Naruto are very clearly married. Whether Sakura and Sasuke are married is up in the air since you only see Sasuke in like two panels, but its relatively obvious Sasuke is Sarada's father (the official translation is unfortunately not "Salad.")

Hiashi happy as fuck. Now he's just gotta start the Master Eugenist project over with Bolt, although it looks like Sarada already likes him anyways.

Hiashi happy as fuck. Now he's just gotta start the Master Eugenist project over with Bolt, although it looks like Sarada already likes him anyways.

The true winner right here. Everything else is fucking gravy.

Also *yawn* @ Soma.

just finish this fucking arc already since i don't care about any of these idiots

BLue Exorcist 62

2nd chapter of sketched style :(

But everything else was perfect (well it was the second to last page of the chapter, and the final page spread looks great). Unless this is supposed to be the style, but the bottom left panel suggests it isnt.

I love how the fox spiris, uke and mike got humanoidish, so epic.

kasane

Food Wars! 94
https://38.media.tumblr.com/6b1f0855c34786adccae00395fc681ae/tumblr_neuabx4exj1qbxqfpo1_1280.png[IMG]

One of the more technical chapters that I read word for word. I didnt know all of those details go into picking out of fish. Why cant the fishing marketing do all that for buyers. It makes it seem as if they will put any fish up there good or not that good. Will the contest even have them have to pick fish anyway?[/QUOTE]

of course fish markets would put out fresh or non fresh fish out

these fuckers know all sorts of tricks to make ingredients look fresh but in reality its old

bigkrev

Seraph of the End

Based on the emphasis they put on it, there is a zero percent chance that everyone makes it out of this fight alive.

Really liked the androgynous design of this new enemy.

Angry Grimace

The true winner right here. Everything else is fucking gravy.

Also *yawn* @ Soma.

just finish this fucking arc already since i don't care about any of these idiots

I kind of agree. Asshole Seafood Guy and Spice Guy are both boring arrogant guy who as far as I can tell exist as DTL bait and nothing else.

So who do you care about?

Lets see:

Tadakoro and seeing her grow some more

the other members of the dorm who sadly gets the short end of the stick even though they should be decent.

More of the Alumni and their shenanigans.

Erina because she has approximately 0 time otherwise.

Asshole glasses dude since he's elite ten and supposed to be the "enemy" here.

and others i'm possibly forgetting.

Seeing a near invincible MC, his shitty "negative" clone and some dude who could be worfed at any fucking second is kinda lame right now tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom