• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

Usobuko

Banned
Fudatsuki no Kyoko-chan 01

The story of a delinquent looking siscon as he tries to gain the affections of the girl who isn't scared of him.

Also twist, imouto is a monster that drinks people's blood

Pretty amusing, seems to be another pick on the poor protagonist series but I like the twist. First chapter set them up pretty well so looking forward to seeing how this series goes.

This is by the same author who wrote Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san. There are quite a few of people who followed that series here.

Too bad nothing in English for this, lol.

Caladrius

Noragami 03

Yukine shit-talking Yato out of the gate. I like him already.

Super Lovers 1-21

This is my first exposure to the imouto-type stuff. The premise still bugs me quite a bit (though much less so after the time skip happens), but I have to say the author has done well to keep me reading on in spite of that. Both leads are appropriately dysfunctional without being too melodramatic. Ren (The submissive) in particular reminds me of myself at the same age, down to the age-gap romance. The dominant (Haru) is appropriately ridiculed endlessly for having the dignity and common sense of a meatball and Ren gives him the kind of shit I wish I could have in my situation.

I'm making it sound fairly dark, but a lot of it is played for laughs or resolved fairly mundanely. They do have plenty of fairly sweet moments and relatable concerns that balance out their more coarse moments on top of that, so while there's a fair bit of drama, the tone isn't anything close to oppressive (save for maybe the first couple of chapters where a giant drama bomb happens)

One thing I really like that I don't find very often in the genre is the fairly large supporting cast, which gets a fair amount of development (though not nearly as much as the mains, and they're definitely not the focus). That made it feel a lot more lively. Only things that bugged me on that front were that they're all way too conveniently connected to the protags and spend a bit too much time talking about them. (Chapter 20 is a rather refreshing break in that it features a subplot almost completely unconnected to the mains.)

While it's a hard sell to people who can't get past the premise (and I absolutely sympathize with that), this was surprisingly enjoyable, and it's something I would absolutely recommend to fans of the genre.

wonzo

Banned
Touch v6
touch53.jpg

cant handle all these death flags
dead.png

Akito

Shinonome Yuuko wa Tanpen Shousetsu o Aishite Iru
I don't want to say this was boring but it really didn't have much going for it. The premise is anime/manga 101 and the characters are as interesting as watching paint dry. The most positive thing I have to say is that it didn't go on for too long, although depending on the novels it could be a negative thing I guess.

Filler ending has everyone dead except for Esdese.

I would be completely fine with this.

Consider this weeks episode ended with Najenda alone in a room with Esdeath after Akame and Lubbock kill Bollick in some underground cave, and the next episode skipping ahead to when Syura runs into Lubbock in the capital... who knows what the heck they're doing

dumbyugi

Shinonome Yuuko wa Tanpen Shousetsu o Aishite Iru

Turns out I had already read this but I didn't remember anything about it. It seems I forgot about it because it's a little dull. Nothing awful or anything but it's nothing I'd go back to read again. The art's nice enough but nothing spectacular. I have no desire to read the novels after reading this. 5/10

At Least, Like That Snow...

This was pretty good. When I saw the tags for this I was a little worried but it turned out to be a nice bittersweet story. I've read plenty of stories like this where the guy ends up falling for the girl he suddenly became friends with so I'm glad that didn't happen here. The art is really nice, it's a style I like quite a bit. I hope the authors other non-H oneshot is on the reading list at some stage, though I'll read it at some stage even if it isn't. 8/10

Noragami 03

Yukine shit-talking Yato out of the gate. I like him already.

Super Lovers 1-21

This is my first exposure to the imouto-type stuff. The premise still bugs me quite a bit (though much less so after the time skip happens), but I have to say the author has done well to keep me reading on in spite of that. Both leads are appropriately dysfunctional without being too melodramatic. Ren (The submissive) in particular reminds me of myself at the same age, down to the age-gap romance. The dominant (Haru) is appropriately ridiculed endlessly for having the dignity and common sense of a meatball and Ren gives him the kind of shit I wish I could have in my situation.

I'm making it sound fairly dark, but a lot of it is played for laughs or resolved fairly mundanely. They do have plenty of fairly sweet moments and relatable concerns that balance out their more coarse moments on top of that, so while there's a fair bit of drama, the tone isn't anything close to oppressive (save for maybe the first couple of chapters where a giant drama bomb happens)

One thing I really like that I don't find very often in the genre is the fairly large supporting cast, which gets a fair amount of development (though not nearly as much as the mains, and they're definitely not the focus). That made it feel a lot more lively. Only things that bugged me on that front were that they're all way too conveniently connected to the protags and spend a bit too much time talking about them. (Chapter 20 is a rather refreshing break in that it features a subplot almost completely unconnected to the mains.)

While it's a hard sell to people who can't get past the premise (and I absolutely sympathize with that), this was surprisingly enjoyable, and it's something I would absolutely recommend to fans of the genre.

You werent reading super lovers before?! Whats wrong with you!

Too bad the good quality ones take so long :(

I like ren with his friend from school as a potential pair...

Yakozen 5-6 END
B2CjbB3IAAImWLu.png

The concluding story was better than the main story. I loved the lethal dose of love that caused them to chase after each other from the tears. Such teary moments but also really cute moments. Good bl.

Jintor

Maou Maou Yuushuu (the serious/funny one not published by enterbrain) 1-33

I oscillate back and forth on this a lot, partially because I think I can't help but steal things wholesale when I make stuff and Maou seems to be my latest target (though I'm doing my best to change, I swear!). Anyway I blazed through this yesterday and have mixed feelings about it. My first and immediate thought right now is that it's spectacularly blunt in most cases. Despite being a 50-page per chapter thing it feels like it moves a little too fast and consequentially leaves almost all of the economic analysis and talk as basically lectures that it just kind of vomits up at the reader. I know it's a fairly common technique but there's got to be ways to make it more interesting to hear about why opening up markets is interesting, right?

The other thing to note about the economics is that things just kind of... happen, and they mainly happen to Maou. I realise she's a Demon King or whatever and that means she has access to the Grand High Library of Demons or whatever but effectively she just tends to produce plot coupon after plot coupon and deploy it into use. Now whether or not you care about that is kind of arbitrary - I only started noticing it after she miraculously developed the idea for Printing Press when the author decided "I want to start talking about literacy now!" - but it is kind of irritating that it's not so much that she's brilliant as it is she just receives economics lessons from the future or something.

The other thing is what I privately term 'anime bullshit' and by golly there's a lot of it here, some of it funny, a lot of it not so much. Maou's obsession with her boobs and curves is actually an active detractor from her more interesting economics talk and it causes her personality to ricochet wildly between "bwahaha i know everything" to "help i am helpless cutey moe girl" and it's pretty irritating. The manga's other quirks like just labelling everything instead of actually naming it is kind of cool actually and I think adds to its appeal, but there's other bits I find weird like the maid obsession and the hilariously overly evil Northern states who just want to kill all the Southerners for who knows what reason but have a really maniacal laugh.

Still, the Demon Clan politicking was really quite fun to read and frankly I think most of the characters are pretty interesting (even Female Magician who appears to just be Nagato Yuki with narcolepsy) so I guess I'll keep reading. And keep trying to figure out ways to write it for a YA English-speaking audience and become SUPER RICH

Also apparently it began as a bunch of forum threads on 2chan or something. Cool.

Caladrius

Kurayami Ni Strobe

Short, sweet, silly. The best kind of short manga. Art's a bit rough but it's pretty damn good otherwise.

Also is it pronounced Strohb or Stroh-bay?

You werent reading super lovers before?! Whats wrong with you!

Too bad the good quality ones take so long :(

I like ren with his friend from school as a potential pair...

Again, the fake-incest premise with an 8 year gap was the main deterrent. I only picked it up at the behest of a friend. Fairly glad I did end up reading it though.

Handa-kun 01

oTwaCAFl.jpg

Here we have the main character of Barakamon as a high school student. And all the misunderstandings one could ever possibly have rolled into one series.

This is great. This is amazing.

Have they explain why he's totally forgotten about all of this?

Something something memory loss or memory sealing

------------------------------------

Boku to Senpai no Tekken Kousai 10

Of course the most typical danger to a princess's life is a succession problem.

Soma

Touch Vol. 1-5

So this has been my first exposure to Adachi Mitsuru. I hear his name thrown around quite a bit in the manga community and see references to him here and there. For someone who has built up such a pedigree of romantic comedy, it's weird that I haven't read anything by him yet (since I'm usually all about that stuff).

But yeah I'm enjoying the series quite a bit so far. I'm usually a little apprehensive to most modern love triangle romance plots but there's a lot to like here so far. The artwork has a very nostalgic feel with its simplicity and every single character has so much personality in their designs (even if some of them come off as a little samey). Everyone is very expressive and there's a big "playful" feeling to a lot of the scenes. There's also the added bonus with the author adding in some self-insert jokes with himself as a character in the story. It's really cute and charming.

The characters introduced so far are pretty standard yet the main cast is pretty likeable and engaging. I guess that's kinda the thing I keep coming back to with this series so far. As a whole the story is at its core very "simple", yet a lot of the things it executes, it executes it in a very well done manner. Simplicity in itself isn't a bad thing especially when one is able to build on the strengths of whatever it is presenting and the charm and the way the story respects its reader is what makes this story so engaging. A lot of the time, scenes are able to convey a certain feeling without dialogue and solely allowing the expressions of the characters to communicate with the reader.

There's a pretty interesting theme of somewhat of an inferiority complex displayed in Tatsuya's character. With him going back and forth between allowing his brother to get the spotlight and dealing with his own pride and feelings for Minami, I'm really interested to see where this all goes.

Tokyo Ghoul:re Chapter 5

g008-009.jpg

This fuckin chapter was hilarious, just seeing Sharkie and Cookie as a combo is amazing. Seeing both on the motorcycle is funny. Also damn Ishida's Art looks great.

I'm really confused on Mutsuki's gender, like I know she was originally a female. But is Mutsuki still a female that dresses up as a male or did Mutsuki get sexually swapped. Anyways we see Mutsuki fight and he actually held his own even if he did still get his ass kicked by Torso. Also Torso isn't Tskuiyama. And it seems Haise called in backup like a boss, my man.

Finally Serpent arrives, but yeah Serpent=Nishiki. But man how the hell did he get that based in 3 years. The fool was fuckin flipping police cars like they were nothing. Great chapter can't wait till next week.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Remind me not to google "Aunt Tits" next time I want to show my friend an image of the manga.

God damn, me and my friend just call it by its Japanese name or shorten it to Minamoto.

Also started reading Haru Yo Koi again, I really hate it when the protag cheats. I'll never understand making a mistake once but it can be fleshed out in the plot and somehow recover what was lost. However, this protag did it every time he had a chance to, despicable. I need more romancu manga that isn't gonna make me wanna tackle the protag if I see him in person.

Tokyo Ghoul:re Chapter 5

I'm really confused on Mutsuki's gender, like I know she was originally a female. But is Mutsuki still a female that dresses up as a male or did Mutsuki get sexually swapped. Anyways we see Mutsuki fight and he actually held his own even if he did still get his ass kicked by Torso. Also Torso isn't Tskuiyama. And it seems Haise called in backup like a boss, my man.

Finally Serpent arrives, but yeah Serpent=Nishiki. But man how the hell did he get that based in 3 years. The fool was fuckin flipping police cars like they were nothing. Great chapter can't wait till next week.

Damn, everyone is joining Aogiri Tree, it'll be soon when
we see the owner of the old shop be leading it with his daughter or some crazy plot twist.
The mangaka is doing good work leaving enough hints so readers can come up with tangible conclusions but not enough to solidify them.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
What's the full name of this? Everyone here seems to be on it, so maybe I should check it out.

Minamoto-kun Monogatari

It's really NSFW, its basically like Nozoki no Ana (if I got the name right) in terms of NSFW-levels. Also, its really good in terms of developing a character.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
The way this chapter ended just made me go "wat"

unless you're some cristiano reynaldo or something of that nature, this wouldn't happen to an average looking guy unless his game is from another world. i dont know what to make of this chapter cause he's neither.

Finalow

I am a hero

read the last chapters. the fuck was that thing on chapter 168 and 173, I wonder.
anyway, are we waiting on the translation team or it's the mangaka being slow at releasing new chapters?

Holy shit do I want the car scene in Tokyo Ghoul:re to be animated someday, that shit was hilarious. And seeing Sharkie shoot out missiles was lol. Though for some reason that scene reminded me of Indiana Jones when Jones and his father were on a motorcycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom