• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vito

Banned
91ZBwR4AORL.jpg

Attack on Titan on the cover of BRUTUS mag.

Usobuko

Banned
The more I read Re:Monster, the more I feel it is a teenage boy fantasy act out in a world of MMO. Mundane first person narration aside, its like a wet dream with all the orgies and sexual attractions to the male lead.

The plot in most short stories can be pointless and lack meaningful content space to flesh out the setting and characters. Most of the time the readers are given just enough details for the progression of the story. I think this is one of the reason I don't rate short stories highly although every once in a while there will be one which theme struck a chord with me. In that sense, I guess I don't disagree with this picture.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Depends entirely on execution. Long stories can also be padded out with meaningless content.

Also depends entirely on what you mean by short too. I'd consider 4 volumes as short.

Though this is strictly talking about manga. I do tend to like longer reads with books.

Sukima-Shiki

Holy crap call the dentist as i might need dentures now LOL. Really dug the one with the long text and especially with the old couple.

wasn't feeling the concept of them being songs though even after reading the lyrics (maybe if i heard them instead) but hey.

Tokyo DTED 8

Cmon dude stop being a fucking wuss, especially if your bro is somehow involved.

Also WTH on the last page hahaha

upandaway

I think 4 volumes is medium, it's enough to carry any kind story without cutting out much. For example if we consider arcs in long manga to be standalone short stories, most arcs that are longer than 4 volumes are considered to be padded out in the thread.

Usobuko

Banned
I don't disagree with you, that's why I said most :)

The space available for short stories tend to hamper its opportunity in exploring the setting and characters.

Shengar

Short stories tend to relies on simplicity to deliver the premise within the limited space. Those who master at it can fleshed out a character with simple phrase, let alone a paragraph. Most of the time it just one of their side, but most short stories I praised are tend to focus on one theme, so that's enough for me.

Because its simplicity, if short stories really hits, most of the time it will give very strong impact. But it also not very long lasting because of that.

Boku no Hero Academia 1-6

Well... that was... enjoyable.

I've never been this entertained by a straight-forward shonen series since Eyeshield. Everything seems to hit the right notes for me, and the story's managed to pull its weight in being emotionally moving, while not being overly dramatic or sappy.

Ao no Exorcist 62

Lol scribbles. Still want this arc to just finish up already though.

Honestly, the story kinda lost its focus after the Impure King arc, imo. Even this arc felt disjointed at times, like it had a summary and ideas, but not a proper moment-to-moment script.

I hope once the story gets to the Exorcist Exam, the manga can find some semblance of coherence and direction again.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Boku no Hero Academia 1-6

Well... that was... enjoyable.

I've never been this entertained by a straight-forward shonen series since Eyeshield. Everything seems to hit the right notes for me, and the story's managed to pull its weight in being emotionally moving, while not being overly dramatic or sappy.
I'm really surprised by all the love for this, the chapters I read were so bland and rote with bad art

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Sora Yori Takaku 8-9
This is some crazy shit. We're talking about sex that goes Kaboom! A climax so hard, chandelier broke off. Steam coming out of crotch. Seriously, this shit is so damn offensive and entertaining at the same time. And there's 27 volume of this!? 1st volume already crazy enough, how can the author top this shit!?

Usobuko

Banned
Monkurochou Raw

12 chapters in its like one of the more dramatic dark take of a high school student's ( insecurity with his ) love life. Drama ensures but for now, it is brewing.

dani_dc

New Game! 3

I suppose I'd describe this as "fine", not particularly funny, but pleasant enough and quick enough that I'll keep following.

Eroge No Taiyou 12

Nice closure to the arc, now we can move on into game making again.

Also what was that in the cover about this getting a game?

She is. She's going to stand around being tsundere as all fuck.

I actually think the point at which he challenges her they won't even be enemies - they're barely enemies to begin with now.

I'm not gonna lie. WSJ online blows dead bears and is blown the living fuck out by Crunchyroll. But you also get to legally read shit, mostly faster than the competing free "services."

Really? I think WSJ is much better, CR still cant quality check for beans and some of the typos are as terrible as their anime sub typos. Series selection is lacking too as I only read two non kodansha manga from the.

Revo

Touch v6-7

What has been foreshadowed has come to pass, RIP. And it looks like Tatsuya is planning on taking on Kazuya's goal. Well, maybe the next day.

360pages

I actually like Deadtub mostly for the lewdness of it, but also the fact we don't usually see a sociopathic couple that get off on murder. (I'm kind of hoping it leads to that)

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Bakaupdates says that it's still ongoing so I don't know if it's actually going to be finished soon, just felt like it is, so don't take my word for it. If it does though I might just put it on the short reads list anyway.

Shinonome Yuuko wa Tanpen Shousetsu o Aishite Iru

Cute little story about a a boy and a girl forming a relationship based around writing, though as always these kinds of awkward stories about awkward people always makes me go "Urgh, oogh, arrrgh" with much biting of lips and gnashing of teeth.

Also very relevant to the club!

lcX4aO0.png

She stole my heart.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Tokyo NTR

No, that just makes you an asshole, Saki. Like seriously - she's like "oh I understand the way you are, so I'll do shit that confuses the fuck out of you and then tell you that you're stupid." Piss off.

TLR Darkness 49
She's probably the most compelling reason for taking the Lala route that I've seen since this series began. Well, providing her daughter starts displaying more Charmian traits as she grows up. And gets a personality transplant.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Tokyo NTR

No, that just makes you an asshole, Saki. Like seriously - she's like "oh I understand the way you are, so I'll do shit that confuses the fuck out of you and then tell you that you're stupid." Piss off.

you mean tokyo dted? i read the spoilers and man is this story ass

FluxWaveZ

You are able to finish this? Isn't this still incomplete for the English speaking audience?

Btw, check out Alice in Borderland. Probably the best in terms of game designs and story development within the game. I think that has more to do with the genre not having a stellar representative though.

Ah, sorry. I meant that I finished what was available in English of Underdog. I believe I heard that Round 1 of the game was at least finished in Japanese, but it's still incomplete in English. It's a pain.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm a fan of this genre, and I came upon Underdog when I was searching for more of it.

Ambitious

Vagabond 105

The Hozoin arc was pretty intense. Loved it. Inshun actually survived, and they're on good terms? Really nice. The Yagyu arc, on the other hand.. well, it was okay. At least Otsu and Takezo met each other again.
Matahachi's story went exactly as I expected.

By the way, I just had a look at the Wikipedia page to find out how many chapters there are, and I learned the series is still ongoing. Yikes. I thought it was finished already. How often are new chapters released? Is the end in sight?

Akito

Vagabond 105
By the way, I just had a look at the Wikipedia page to find out how many chapters there are, and I learned the series is still ongoing. Yikes. I thought it was finished already. How often are new chapters released? Is the end in sight?
Whenever Inoue feels like it so even though there's technically only the final fight left, no one knows when this'll end. Maybe not even Inoue himself.

360pages

Tokyo DTED 8

Dude, no girl is worth getting in a fight over, especially a girl who pretty much scoffed at an attempt when you were trying to make a connection with her.

Honestly, after that whole, he probably should realize that none of the girls are really worth the trouble.

Then again, this series seems to paint all the females so far as rather bad people, most of this is legit painful to read.

Usobuko

Banned
Surprised the author of Kuu Neru Futari Sumu Futari was the same person for Monkurochou. Even more surprise that she was actually a woman responsible for the latter, a teenage boy angst youth period, particularly for his futile love endeavors.

Rhapsody

Banned
Hayate the Natural Gigolo 472

Pretty amusing chapter. I still have no idea how long they'll make this arc, but it has its good points. I can't help but feel like the style of Hayate no Gotoku and Nisekoi should be swapped. HnG should do more 1 chapter stories for filler while Nisekoi could go for more mini-arcs (which they are going back to).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom