• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT| Deluxe Salt

Quick question. I don't know much about these aspects of the Switch, but could you use gamecube controllers (w/ wii u's gc adapter) for this game? If not, is that functionality ever coming at all for Switch, or is there no word?

I'd bet money that the adapter will be rereleased/rebranded when Smash comes out.

But it will only work with Smash.

wuth

So to those who have used wireless play:

Is the general consensus that it is just plain janky? My friends and I had a 6 switch Mario Kart party and when we tried wireless mode we couldn't keep a constant connection at all. One of the switches was docked while the others were handheld- could it be that the dock is interfering in some way?

So annoying. This is the exact thing that needs to work right out of the box.

probably too much wifi congestion

due to the way 5ghz ac works, the switch cant use the 5ghz antenna for local wireless play and is forced use the 2.4ghz n antenna instead which is more likely to have a lot more inference in the area since a lot of household devices use the 2.4ghz band

So uh does anyone know how long it takes Mario kart to completely drain the switch? My switch battery indicator has been messed up since yesterday and shows it only charges to max 76% anyway I'm trying to drain it completely so it can reset the indicator. Any tips?

wuth

probably too much wifi congestion

due to the way 5ghz ac works, the switch cant use the 5ghz antenna for local wireless play and is forced use the 2.4ghz n antenna instead which is more likely to have a lot more inference in the area since a lot of household devices use the 2.4ghz band

Interesting. So perhaps turning other devices to airplane mode would help?

So uh does anyone know how long it takes Mario kart to completely drain the switch? My switch battery indicator has been messed up since yesterday and shows it only charges to max 76% anyway I'm trying to drain it completely so it can reset the indicator. Any tips?

dont do that, do a hard reset, hold down the power button until it shuts down

ChrisD

why do you guys like the garbage known as excitebike

you're all enigmas to me

Edit: Tell me I'm not the only one who throws a Red Shell at people just to see one of the two following happen nine times out of ten:

Enemy gets "hit" and drops coins but continues moving at normal speed.
Red Shell passes right by the enemy, no matter how far ahead they are from me.

Second edit: To answer my own question, evidently not. Just saw a Red pass by me. I don't know what the deal is with this game's detection on Shells.

So are we really going to have to play tag with our friends to join an online game lol? Or is the Switch online gonna provide party up options when it fully launches...

Constantly getting too many connections error...shit is broken

ChrisD

Excitebike is life. Your opinion must be sanitized.

The few stages I straight up hate is that one Wario stage with the train tracks and the volcano stage.

The Volcano is one of the best!

I have never been hit with one Boomerang twice until that last race. Holy *, I literally didn't get to move, I just finished spin-out when it came back and hit again.

When I see someone else get hit by a shell and flip or spin out, yet they don't slow down at all, is that due to online lag issues? Or is there some way to quickly get back to full speed after being hit by something (besides mushrooms)?

ChrisD

You were saying? ;)
You have to let tiny bits of bacteria into the body occasionally, like with a shot, for building immunity! The game was just introducing some nasty stuff into the play session to try and keep a healthy body.

Or.. some dumb analogical joke like that.

I need to go cycling. It was fun playing with you guys!

When I see someone else get hit by a shell and or flip spin out, yet they don't slow down at all, is that due to online lag issues? Or is there some way to quickly get back to full speed after being hit by something (besides mushrooms)?

Edit: Tell me I'm not the only one who throws a Red Shell at people just to see one of the two following happen nine times out of ten:

Enemy gets "hit" and drops coins but continues moving at normal speed.
Red Shell passes right by the enemy, no matter how far ahead they are from me.

Second edit: To answer my own question, evidently not. Just saw a Red pass by me. I don't know what the deal is with this game's detection on Shells.

So it's not that uncommon after all, I guess. Yeah it has to be latency.

ReBirFh

Honest question, what makes Mario Kart 8 better than Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed? Is it the characters? Because gameplay wise MK8 (I have it on Wii U) always felt a bit too slow and the tracks less interesting and dynamic than on SASRT.

I also think MK really needs some significant single player mode (same can be said about Smash Bros).

Just want to hear from people familiar with both games (obsviouslly) because I liked some Kart Racers (Crash, Diddy, Chocobo) but MK never really interested me.

ChrisD

That's just doing stunts in general. Stunts itself debuted in MKWii.

I'm talking about different tricks. I can vaguely remember moving my wrists in different directions on Wii, and definitely remember moving the stick different ways on 7. Whether the latter was just a quirk of mine or actually did something different, idk..

I wish the title screen would load in upside down occasionally. I want to see Inkling Girl, Link, and Isabelle up-front with the Mario Crew in the back every once in a while.

Berordn

I'm talking about different tricks. I can vaguely remember moving my wrists in different directions on Wii, and definitely remember moving the stick different ways on 7. Whether the latter was just a quirk of mine or actually did something different, idk..

Wii did introduce them, but pulling them off there worked slightly differently. 7 introduced the current incarnation of tricks, which didn't include the rotation at all.

thefil

Played two player in tabletop mode during lunch at work today.

$45 upgrade cost after trading in the Wii U version justified.

Durden77

So what's people's thoughts on the new battle mode?

I've only played it with CPUs so far, which I definitely know is not the optimal way of doing it, but it still just doesn't seem like it's exactly what I'm looking for. The balloon battle is a very nice addition, but I wish there was a way to perma-die if you lost all your balloons. I know why they'd do that with online play and all that, but they could bring back being the bomb from the 64 version or something.

I will give it a shot online for the real deal and fuck with the levels more before a verdict, but it seems like 64 might still be king when it comes to battle mode (and ONLY battle mode), but this seems like a good effort.

I'd love to have an opinion about this game but Amazon still hasn't shipped mine. Prime member, preordered ages ago. Damn Amazon...

Have four of the wheels ready to go just sitting here for the family. Also, one set of my joycons and my pro controller are all in the mail to Nintendo for various issues that should never have happened.

Exentryk

The superior princess?

QyilBOA.gif

I liked how the original Yoshi Valley on the N64 didn't tell you what your position was or show where each racer was on the map.

They should patch that in as it had added a bit of mystery to the multiple routes.

Durden77

I liked how the original Yoshi Valley on the N64 didn't tell you what your position was or show where each racer was on the map.

They should patch that in as it had added a bit of mystery to the multiple routes.

I'm pretty sure it was like that on the N64 because the 64 actually COULDN'T keep up with the rankings with all the multiple routes.

Allthough in the end it did add a nice sense of uniqueness to the track. I can go eother way on it.

Firebrand

Speaking of Yoshi Valley, dear lord, I felt for you Boo. That was, five or six red shells in a row?

I was only responsible for like four of them!

Swapzism

When I see someone else get hit by a shell and flip or spin out, yet they don't slow down at all, is that due to online lag issues? Or is there some way to quickly get back to full speed after being hit by something (besides mushrooms)?

I see this sometimes too, and I think its that the player is actually holding an item which blocks the hit but the net code registers as a hit on my end which results in the spin out animation, or something?

Any other Wii U veterans have some of their routes get boned by the pink boost?

On Rainbow Road (MK8) (150cc), I used to barely make the sharp right followed by sharp left before the first launch pad, now I get the pink boost on the sharp right resulting in me going too fast (with current setup at 10 coin speed) and end up sliding off the level during the sharp left every time lol.

Don't get me started on Neo Bowser City, that right-left-right hairpin is death.

Exentryk

Any other Wii U veterans have some of their routes get boned by the pink boost?

On Rainbow Road (MK8) (150cc), I used to barely make the sharp right followed by sharp left before the first launch pad, now I get the pink boost on the sharp right resulting in me going too fast (with current setup at 10 coin speed) and end up sliding off the level during the sharp left every time lol.

Don't get me started on Neo Bowser City, that right-left-right hairpin is death.

Play those tracks on 200cc a couple of times and then try 150cc again. Basically, brake if you need to.

Top Bottom